[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>rename a folder with gigabytes of files >next rsync copies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1409883658446.jpg (36 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
1409883658446.jpg
36 KB, 403x392
>rename a folder with gigabytes of files
>next rsync copies the whole thing over again instead of just renaming the folder

Windows never did this with my backup utility. Why does Linux have to act so retarded?
>>
theres no renaming support in linux. it moves the files to another folder with mv
>>
>>55466003
Do you even know how mv works? It just messes with directory structure while retaining the inodes. That IS rename.

>>55465113
Your problem is using simple tools and expecting complex behavior. You get what you ask for. A git tree wouldn't fuck this up, for example, but few people are crazy enough to use git everywhere.
>>
>>55466003
mv literally calls rename(2)
>>
>using rsync locally

What the hell are you doing?
>>
>>55465113
Using rsync to rename shit... are you retarded!?
>>
I think the point is, how do you make backups that are easily accessible and automatable while keeping bandwith changes down?
i.e. how can you use git with rsync or the like?
>>
>>55465113
>>55469217
The point is rsync isn't a dedicated backup tool — it is a tool for copying or syncing files between systems efficiently. It doesn't automagically know when a file has been renamed.

If you want something that does that then use a dedicated backup tool (which will more than likely use rsync for copying under the hood anyway). Otherwise you need to manually rename the backup file yourself.
>>
>>55469217
There are other backup utilities than rsync, look into that.
>git with rsync
look into git-annex
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.