[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wy do YOU hate your job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 1440444791983.jpg (214 KB, 1217x1600) Image search: [Google]
1440444791983.jpg
214 KB, 1217x1600
Serious question.

We do what we do because we are good a it, but that doesn't take away from how infuriating out jobs can be.

What frustrated you today?
>>
File: rideneverends.jpg (77 KB, 460x562) Image search: [Google]
rideneverends.jpg
77 KB, 460x562
>>55461355

FINE I'll start.

>trying to make a query to an internal API
>API objects are in Java
>out tool is in Python
>Jython it is then
>mfw I have to create 9 different types of class instances to make a simple query

I like Java, my whole uni education was in it, but whenever I encounter Java in crop world I just want to drink myself to death.
>>
File: 1444611170581.jpg (66 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1444611170581.jpg
66 KB, 720x540
>>55461436

Another one>

>hacking a small tool in ruby to post my wiki updates easily
>write markdown
>auto covert to mediawiki with pandoc
>post to wiki through API
>posing everything to my owne directory
>/user:<USERNAME>/doc/path
>mfw I get 403
>WTF
>browse the wiki
>turns out I have to ask for special permission from the owners of the service
>even if the path is my home dir in the wiki

JUST....
>>
File: 1440441601581.png (922 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
1440441601581.png
922 KB, 900x1000
>>55461520

Nothing? No one?

You people are hard to entice. Or just don't have a job i guess.

>trying to use an official framework for accessing a well known API in python
>it's also python but uses java libraries
>jython it is then
>switch to jython and attempt
>FUCKING NOTHING BUT EXCEPTIONS
>check the repo
>owne and last commiter no longer with the company
>poke the manager for write access
>get it after more poking with "great we have an owner for it now!"
>expect only a few fixes
>mfw 2 days later I'm still fixing it
>feels like it was written without being run even once

I... what?
>>
>>55461355
Because I have to rely on 700 people to do what they are supposed to do. They never do.

I wish I was working with machines instead. People are just dumb, ignorant, and most of all dont care whatsoever.
>>
>>55462071

I don't know about that.

People do care, they are just shit at what they do.

I don't think my job is important. It's just a transaction. I exchange my experience, knowledge, and effort for money in a transaction that makes sense to me. I do not GIVE A SHIT about the company I work for, but I still do my best.

Because I take fucking PRIDE in my work, whatever type of work it is.
>>
>>55461355
>be project manager
>building a prototype
>supplier wants an advance on payment
>tell him to fuck off we only do credit
>delivers parts 2 days late with 20% of the parts out of tolerance
>reject the parts
>supplier's profit margin is fucked so he tries to get us to pay more
>want to tell him to fuck off but already 2 weeks behind schedule and can't afford to go to another supplier
>end up paying for his fuck up
>now looking for a new shop to make our parts

Worst part is I cut my hand because he didn't debur some of the parts
>>
>>55462071

>they never do

If they literally "NEVER" do, how the fuck is your company still existing?
>>
>>55461355
I'd post mine but they're only marginally related to tech (zombie tech retail clerk)

Fuck retail
>>
>>55462265
It just isn't worth it suing a supplier for ~20k and ruining the relationship and it costs us a lot more if we don't deliver by the deadline. Its much easier just to pay for some of the costs and getting the parts with a small delay.

When we go into production we will have the lawyers go over contracts with specific performance written in.

The worst part of my job is trying to collect money. There are around 10% of people who just won't pay up until you send them a threatening letter from a lawyer.
>>
Full disclosure: sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing and break stuff, then the sweating starts
>>
>>55462425

That's fucking depressing.

Solution: Write your contracts in such a way that if they contractor delivers sub-par parts you simply take them and use them however you want and they are penalized.

Of course that will mean that the overall cost will be higher and you have to calculate that and whether it makes sense in your case.

10% is quite a lot and should be enough to consider changing how you phrase your contracts. Contact a good lawyer and see how you can improve them.
>>
>>55461355
At my job we have some of the most amazing infrastructure, but also lack some really basic features. I'm currently refactoring C++ with sed and Vim macros. It's pretty ugly.
>>
File: 1438374339403.png (247 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
1438374339403.png
247 KB, 377x377
>>55461355
You think you bums have it bad, try Marine Corps infantry. Now that shit is gay as fuck.
>inb4 welfare queen or whatnot.
>>
>>55462457
>Solution: Write your contracts in such a way that if they contractor delivers sub-par parts you simply take them and use them however you want and they are penalized.
We would win a case without a doubt but if we sue them they won't produce the rejected parts which means significant setbacks in schedule with another supplier. In terms of cost it's a no brainer to just pay him.

>10% is quite a lot and should be enough to consider changing how you phrase your contracts. Contact a good lawyer and see how you can improve them.
We have a lawyer but legal is a last resort. Apart from destroying that relationship with the customer, after legal expenses you're looking at a net loss. The industry offers credit terms and these customers don't meet them so it's part of my job to call them up and very nicely remind them to pay their fucking bills.
>>
>>55462636

Damn....

You are dropping some harsh truths man.

Fucking harsh.
>>
>get told I have to answer the phone at work
>go to the doctor and get a fit note for stress
>off for two weeks
>don't have to answer the phones any more
>>
>>55462615
What the fuck did you just fucking say about Marine Corps, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>55461436

I do not understand how projects can be done in multiple languages. How does it all work together?

Someone shed light on this please.
>>
>>55461355
> Why do you hate your job?
Kevin Turner.

But Kevin Turner is leaving Microsoft. Fuck Kevin Turner.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.