[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Linux is better than Windows >Still have to restart after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
>Linux is better than Windows
>Still have to restart after installing updates
>>
Of course you have to reboot after updating Linux. Are you capable of updating an OS kernel program in place?
>>
>>55455530
yes
>>
Restart kust for kernel updates. Also I observed that Ubuntu wants too many reboots, I don't have this problem on Arch.
>>
>>55455757
summer
>>
>>55455766
technology
http://www.ksplice.com/
>>
>>55455779
delete this
>>
Linux:
>update kernel
>reboot now or whenever you please

Windows:
>update
>downloading updates
>configuring updates
>reboot now or shall we keep nagging you to reboot?
>configuring updates before rebooting
>reboot
>please wait while we configure your updates
>installing updates
>fucking_finally.gif
>>
>>55455762
I have had 16.4 since release. I update weekly if not more frequently, it has asked to restart after updates twice. Sorry you cant handle restarting your chinese cartoon torrents twice in 3 months.
>>
>>55455848
You forgot the part where you apply all six available updates, then reboot, then there is 128 new pending updates urgently waiting to be applied.
>>
>>55455870
I don't warch cartoons. Also rebooting is not a problem. I moved because the software was outdated.
>>
>>55455887
>spend 10 hours downloading updates
>it gets stuck
>have to download them all again

Seriously though. Is there anything more tedious and broken than the Windows 7/8 update utility? It's mind boggling how they shipped it like that.

Did they at least revamp it to be usable in Win 10?
>>
>>55455956
I remember at least two hotfixes and one pretty big update for update service. It's still broken.
>>
>>55455956
Yes. It's far worse under Windows 2008 R2, because SP1 had a certain prereq, which itself had a prereq.

So the updater on a newly built OS has hundreds of updates. Then you reboot, and there's one more. Than you reboot again, and there's another one.

Then suddenly there's SP1, which is a colossal update that supposedly obsolete everything you just applied.

Then you'll reboot and find out how many post SP1 updates there are. It's a fucking disaster. Why can't it just say "here are all the updates for your current OS" and apply them?
>>
>>55455887
This literally only happens once
>>
>>55455887
Sadly true
>>55456038
Shut up citizen, microsoft knows what is best for you. Accept our authority or be put on the potential terrorist list.
>>
>>55456038
Windows cannot overwrite files that are currently in use. This is a problem when updating the system with newer versions of the programs. What Windows does to overcome this limitation is to update the files the first thing after booting the most minimal of systems. This allows it to update the file because the file isn't actually being used.
>>
>>55455507
Well, you wouldn't restart a car, right?
>>
>>55455887
Even simply greentexting windows' update process is too tedious
>>
>>55455814
And kGraft/kPatch which landed in 4.0, not to mention kExec.

I've got a server I haven't needed to reboot in months, and my previous server had a 3-year continuous uptime interrupted only by a particularly pesky bolt of lightning taking out all three of the datacenter's UPSes. Everything gets graceful-restarted, even systemd and glibc, although I'm not sure the scripts are in a state others would find them useful yet as there are still seat-of-your-pants vicious hacks in there, for example to allow for live patching of libssl/libcrypto despite its versions symbol bullshit. That's on top of external failovers and it includes running the latest patches, and some: I was probably the first person outside Google to serve ChaCha20_Poly1305.

The real mystery to me is why Windows, with much more of its OS ecosystem under one controlled roof, doesn't have this. They've clearly been experimenting with it for years, and they do have the ability since Win10 to update running executable images (one of the last missing pieces). The NT kernel is great even if Win32 is janky. Yet, somehow Windows Update is incredibly heavy, inefficient and poorly designed - has sucked ever since they started delta updates - and despite running a nominally rolling release with Win10, the actual version update is a super-clumsy reinstall in effect, an update exceeded in levels of clumsiness only by Android. They really need to fix that. (Reducing unnecessary telemetry from non-beta versions would also be nice, although it's simply not even close to as bad as the 'muh botnet' drama queens here think, if they'd ever bothered to actually reverse shit.)

I don't think they lost all their talent, I suspect perhaps maybe it's management bullshit, which I hear they have a ton of.

Still, Linux has the advantage here.
>>
>>55455848
>>55455887
>>55455956

That's why you fully update Windows once. After that, you occasionally get the update to reboot. Or, you could configure it to not nag you and you reboot when it's best for you.
>>
>>55455762
n00banto is really, really defensive when it comes to reboots.
Their "just in case" extends way too far.
Especially considering that practically everything can be re-loaded anew in-place either trivially or at least easily. Normally, the most one would ever need to do is essentially relogin (i.e. restart X, which also closes the X session, needing a relogin)
The kernel is a special case, but even THAT can be re-loaded in-place, just need a fair bit of know-how to do properly.

overall, n00banto plain sux. And thus their policy on reboots after updates does suck, too.
>>
File: rrr.gif (499 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
rrr.gif
499 KB, 500x335
>install windows 7 in 2009+7
>search for updates
>needs 12 hours
>finally install all 190+ updates
>restart
>wait another 12 hours for updates to get installed
>mfw there're more updates
>>
Dumb question but am I supposed to install anti virus software on GNU/Linux? I've been using mint for almost a year now without anti virus.
>>
>>55456133

Well that's obvious, but the linux shills can't use windows properly, so they try and blame windows for their own deficiencies.
>>
>>55456236
>anti virus
>linux

There is no reason. With barely 2% market share no one cares about it. Even NSA wouldn't mind.

Just be sure to hide behind 7 proxies m8.
>>
>>55456156

you shouldn't use windows, it's obvious you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>55455507
Only if you update the kernel or glibc. Also, you can choose not to reboot and run it as long as you like, perfectly stable. It doesn't force you to reboot.

Moron
>>
>>55455848
Under Windows, the first step should be "Windows decides it's time to update."
>>
>>55455507
but linux has no software.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbABy9ul11I
>>
>>55456236
Nope. Not really. Linux isn't vulnerable in the same ways windows is. It's not that it's not vulnerable, but that it's different enough the attack vectors are completely different. Basically, don't run random binaries as root, don't install random shitty Firefox plugins. Don't allow password auth for remote access, run web apps in containers or as isolated users (ie don't run php in a webserver as root). Done.
>>
>>55456284
You shouldn't be on 4chin, it's obvious you don't know what you should take serious.

For the normal user who doesn't know better, it's similar to what i have described.

Not everyone spends 8 hours a day in front of his computer.
>>
>>55456304
>too stupid for windows
arch is for you
>>
>>55456359

nah, you're just a tard who cannot into windows.
>>
>>55455814
Is weeks on arch by default
>>
>>55455530
Reminder than you can "hotswap" a linux kernel (so without rebooting). Look at some article by RedHat about this, it's totally possible.
>>
>>55456273
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
>>
>>55456317
Linux distributions should not have propaganda departments
>>
File: 11382654.gif (644 KB, 512x481) Image search: [Google]
11382654.gif
644 KB, 512x481
>>55455507
>Prajeets at MS decides to update a wincuck's desktop
>RESTARTING IN 15 MINUTES AND 00 SECONDS
>Can't do jack shit
>TFW cucked again

>PC restarts
>3 hrs in, still at 24%

>Next day
>Don't turn off your PC
>Couldn't finish updates, undoing changes
>Log in
>Picture related for good 15 minutes
>Start menu doesn't work

>Be OP
>Install Ubuntu
>Doesn't know a thing about Linux
>Gooey tells OP to reboot
>What is chroot
>"hurr durr why restart"

Kill yourself newfaggot
>>
>>55456363
>Buttblasted winkid spotted
Was copying and pasting commands too hard for you? kek
>>
>>55461147
Stop the lies.

Windows doesn't even warn you anymore.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.