[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this guy unironically worshipped as tech Jesus or is he a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 1456369764536.png (139 KB, 600x779) Image search: [Google]
1456369764536.png
139 KB, 600x779
Is this guy unironically worshipped as tech Jesus or is he a meme? I just don't get it.
>>
>>55453720
In all honesty, Richard Stallman is the reason why Linux can't win in the desktop world. We know that Linux (kernel) is tried and true, and functions great. When you start piling on all of the GNU shit, you get distributions like Ubuntu that aren't useful in real life work situations.
>>
File: gnuslashmagicmushrooms.webm (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gnuslashmagicmushrooms.webm
2 MB, 400x300
living meme

praise kek
>>
the most important man alive
>>
He's hasn't made anything worthwhile in 20 years. He's a meme.
>>
GPL is cancer
FSF is a cult
GNU is garbage
RMS is an idiot
>>
>>55453720
Richard Stallman started the Free Software Movement, yeah, i consider Richard Stallman a good and benevolent man, a software saint if you want to call him that, so yeah, Richard Stallman's legacy will live beyond his lifetime,
>>
>>55453755
bullshit, most the internet is served on Linux servers, BSD and Linux (mostly linux) are the backbone and workhorse that serves most the internet, and Linux makes a damn fine desktop too

so go back to Microsoft and cram a sock it
>>
>>55456282
>This is what lincucks actually believe
So, what games have you played on Linux lately? Oh wait, you don't have any good games. Top lel.
>>
File: 1340427207218.jpg (80 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1340427207218.jpg
80 KB, 600x900
>>55456298
FREEDOM
R
E
E
D
O
M
>>
He showed us the way the salvation
he sacrificed his life so that we could be free as defined by the GPL
Stallmanu is love
Stallmanu is life
>>
>>55456298
>muh gaems argument
it's a +18 site, fellow

>>55453755
tru dat, pretty GNU is shitty for anything else than servers, it would be cool if some company made a professional Linux based GNU-free desktop OS like Google did with Android for mobile devices

shame that Chrome OS is GNUshit and double shame that it's a toy OS
>>
He said some cool shit decades ago and has just embarrassed himself since then.

It's like if Jesus didn't get killed when he was 33, but lived to be a 60 year old man who ate crust off his feet and talked about the benefits of pedophilia. RMS should have died years ago.
>>
>>55456298
try Steam, i prefer a console for games anyway, i have had a nintendo64, a sony playstation2 and playstation3 i play video games on occasion, there is more to computers than games anyway, i use my PC for audio & video creation, using Linux for my SDR (software defined radio) which is really cool for HF communication receivers which gives HF receivers features and benefits at a much lower cost than ever before, i have a HF/VHF/UHF/ that goes from 10HZ to 5000MHZ all mode including digital for less than 200 bucks and the old style radios with knobs and buttons on the front would cost upwards of 5000 bucks, so yeah Free Open Source made it all possible for affordable high quality wide band communication receivers

plus LibreOffice and OpenOffice makes Microsoft Office look like crappy spyware
>>
>>55456448
Office 2013 > LibreOffice | OpenOffice
>>
>>55453720
Nobody worships this man as a tech Jesus.
>>
>>55456342
Nobody is stopping anybody from pairing Linux with BSD. People simply don't care to get it done.
>>
>>55456529
O man, we need this
>>
>>55456529
Chrome OS is being rebuilt to be android compatible, soon users of Chrome OS will be able to install any android app from the Google Playstore , i plan to buy a new Chromebook with a touchscreen by the end of the year after the merge so i can use some android apps that i like
>>
>>55456577
That's cool. I can't wait to see a free Android system for the PC.
>>
>>55456501
Justification?

I love Libreoffice. It performs just as well when it comes to basic word processing, spreadsheets, or presentations. I also have office 2013, but all it offers is a prettier ui for me.
>>
>>55453781
holy fuck that webm
my sides
>>
>>55456660
Just bc compatibility really.
But if you use Linux, sure, libreoffice and openoffice are the only functional options.
>>
A couple of years ago...I thought he was crazy.
But now, with all that surveillance shit going on, my view on him has changed somewhat.
>>
He wrote the gcc, give the man some credit.
>>
>>55456811
>Just bc compatibility really.
What do you mean by "compatibility"? Libre office can open and save in ms office formats.
>>
File: 1459206697759.jpg (452 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459206697759.jpg
452 KB, 1600x1200
>>55453720
I'm collecting pictures of Stallman using his notebook in retarded places.
Anyone care to contribute?
>>
>>55453720
This is the man who would rather coders and their families starve rather than those coders being able to code for a living? This autistic Bernbro? He is a trendy meme like all other leftards.
>>
>>55459265
no, coding software will be open though, instead of companies keeping it all a trade secret, now everyone will be able to do it, instead of your kid coming home from school and doing just basic math homework they can also include software source code too, i think it is great for kids to learn it, free open source code will someday be as common as comic books and anyone can create, modify and redistribute
>>
>>55456597
android x86 is already available, but it needs further development
>>
RMS is the hero software needs.
>>
>>55453720
Thank you Richard Stallman. You are the pioneer for free software and privacy rights
>>
>>55453720
As a Linux user, I can confirm he is a meme
>>
>>55456597
Remix OS dude.
>>
>>55453720
Real answer: A little of both.

Stallman is a very important figure in the history of computing as an early hacker, and as founder/supporter of the Free Software Foundation and FLOSS in general.

Stallman is a meme because his rhetoric is hard to take seriously, and he's way too picky about his words (although I get where he's coming from). The primary reason the Open Source Movement was created was because of Stallman's weird rhetoric. Plus he's such a stereotypical neck beard.
>>
>>55460542
>>55460579
>"[Stallman is] way too picky about his words"
>Deletes an entire post just to add an "and"
>>
>>55453755
Not entirely this

GNU has made a few useful softwares that were essential for linux succeeding as a kernel. They're called gcc, gdb, and glibc. Grub is an honorable mention but it's far from necessary, and in the case of people that don't need its gazillion extra features, just slows shit down.

However, GNU has made or is tied to plenty of crap that is holding linux back. Because it's crap, and it remains the default because it's GNU/free and must therefore be the de-facto standard. Looking at gimp, gnome, and gtk here. If qt/kde/krita received all the effort that went into that inherent garbage linux would actually be kicking OS X's ass in user experience and practicality right now, but it's not, so qt/KDE/krita are eternally unfinished, buggy, and undersupported. GNU is the de-facto standard. Qt used to be proprietary once so it's only for distros managed by corporations and spin-offs for hipsters.

Also, remember, freetards are why we're not using OSS4 and are the reason we are using the sound latency increasing/quality decreasing program called pulse to make up for its deficits.
>>
>>55453720
BASED RICHARD STALLMAN
>>
>>55460702
That's the joke
>>
>>55460748
ALSA is used instead of OSS4 because OSS4 has no support. Also pulseaudio is the default userland audio manager for pretty much everything.
>>
>>55460848
Why do you think that is, mron?
>A desktop thread tripfag having no reading comprehension near me
You should be on /w/ with the other retards.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.