[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Adaway the best way to block ads on Android? What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 20150410183016_mwmbcmkb.png (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
20150410183016_mwmbcmkb.png
16 KB, 300x300
Is Adaway the best way to block ads on Android?

What's the best hosts file source for Adaway?

Android adblocking general, I guess.
>>
Yes.
Default.
>>
>>55453081
https://github.com/Free-Software-for-Android/AdAway/wiki/hostssources

I prefer hosts blocking because I tether all the time and as a result I don't really need to use an ad blocker in my laptop browser.
>>
>>55453147
I wish uBlock were ported to Android.
>>
>>55453081
I use netguard. It is probably the best one i have tried since i can't root my phone. I can also choose apps and restrict them from connecting to wifi or use data. This comes in really handy. An app can have all the permissions it wants as long as it doesnt send them anywhere i'm fine. Though i try to make it a habit to avoid apps with excessive permissions.
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard

block-this is another one i tried (doesn't require root either). It functions a bit like adaway. though no settings to configure it just runs in the background.
>>
>>55454765
Isn't that just a firewall?
>>
>android adblocking general

>android text editor general

>android file manager general

>android browser general

>android media player general

>android appstore general

>android keyboard general

>android image viewer general

>android antivirus general

>android gaming general

>android map general

>android calculator general

>android document viewer general

>android emulator general

>android flashlight general

>android camera general

>android watch general

>android launcher general

>android social app general

>android google app general
>>
>>55454819
it is but i can include the adaway host file in it.
>>
>>55453293
Unlock Origin works just fine on Firefox for Android.
>>
>>55455030
A shame that firefox doesn't work just fine
>>
>>55455030
Firefox is shit on Android and we want to block ads on more than just the browser.
>>
>>55454996
not good enough
>>
>>55454930
You forgot
>Android Phone General...
What the fuck dude
>>
>>55454765
It's garbage, since you have to pay to use some of the features of Netguard. Afwall and Adaway are better than Netguard.
>>
adaway
minminguard
ublock origin on firefox

I don't get the hate for firefox on android, it runs great on my phone (a fucking 2nd gen moto g), and ublock helps make pages load faster than on other browsers.
>>
>>55453081
The availability of AdAway is the one big advantage Android has over iOS these days.
>>
>>55457111
>I don't get the hate for firefox on android, it runs great on my phone (a fucking 2nd gen moto g)

It's really ugly and really not as fast as it could be, plus the scrolling sucks and the rendering is worse than Chromium-based browsers on mobile.
>>
>>55457490
Firefox could always be faster on ANY platform, that's a given, but I don't find it slower than other browsers, and ublock does help with the loading speeds and the cosmetic filters. Killing anti-adblock notifications is also a big plus, and generally having extensions makes it a lot more useful to me than other alternatives on android.

I don't have issues with the scrolling. The rendering is perfectly fine to me, but that's always subjective. I find chromium rendering on the desktop to be less than ideal, so it's probably related. Same with the interface.

But I can see why some people might not like it. Cheers!
>>
>>55455060
U r dum
>>
>>55457917
Ugly as shit

Also,

>not using Clover for browsing 4chins
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.