[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CentOS or Debian or Funtoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: No Windows 10.jpg (30 KB, 567x544) Image search: [Google]
No Windows 10.jpg
30 KB, 567x544
The only thing Arch provides that no other distro does is the AUR. The wiki is quite extensive as well. So far Arch is pretty much the only distro I would use.
>inb4 AUR a shit
No it isn't. It works, read the pkgbuild and don't just keep pressing y-n-n-y in your AUR helper.

However there are people out there who want a very stable working environment. They just want security patches, not new packages.

What are the options? FYI I prefer learning things through Wiki.

>Debian
Debian stable live ISO crashes on my new laptop (2016) every time I boot. Should I install from the minimal?

>*buntu LTS
Been using it. Not a fan of apt, this is why I want to use something other than Debian

>Slackware
>FreeBSD
I like systemd

>Gentoo
Timesink. Although I might try Funtoo/Calculate Linux

>Crux
>Sourcemage
>Void
>OpenSUSE
If only it had a good wiki.

>CentOS
Now I really would LOVE to use this exclusively. How is the Wiki?
>>
Go with Debian testing minimal. If you don't like apt, go with CentOS or OpenSUSE
>>
I'm in the same boat as you, OP.
I'm currently on Arch, just because all other distros suck ass. I like the AUR, but I'd like a more stable system and the ability to configure everything to my liking.
I hate APT too, it's too fucking slow and breaks dependencies all the time unless you're on Debian stable.
>>
>>55447882
Did you use CentOS. I am very fascinated with it but can't seem to find a proper wiki page.
>>
>>55447049
What's wrong with apt?

CentOS is okay if you like building everything yourself.
>>
>>55447965
I never used personally but I've heard generally good reviews. Here's the wiki:
https://wiki.centos.org/
>>
>>55447962
What were you doing to get APT to break dependencies?
>>
>>55448063
Upgrading Debian testing regularly.
>>
>>55447995
literally spams my terminal if I do anything with it
>>
>>55448097
So then it isn't apt itself, just the new packages? I've never had apt itself break anything on Debian or Ubuntu. And whenever you have extra packages you no longer need, it lets you know you can autoremove them.
>>
>>55448194
Other than accidentally purging the wrong packages of course, but that was an error on my part, apt just did what it was supposed to.
>>
>>55448100
Why is that a bad thing? And you can use -qq to make it less verbose.
>>
Gentoo/funtoo both just werk.
>>
>>55448262
Obviously you haven't seen how pacman installs things
>>
>>55447049
Debian Stable here.
From backports I got my fglrx
And from wine repo i got wine staging.
It just werks on my kde.
Safe and stable as fuck.
BROTIP: Install from netinstall.
>>
>>55448285
Not him, but I have and it's nothing special
>>
>>55448322
>We'll install these packages. y/n or press values(1 2 3 etc)
>Nicely structured download progress
>Install done silently
>Post optional values

This is quite nice compared to apt vomiting shit on the terminal
>>
>>55448351
So you complain about apt giving you information about the installation of a package? I mean, if you don't want to make sure everything went right, then just use -qq. No more vomiting in the terminal, as you'd put it.
>>
>>55448351
Why does it matter that it spams the terminal? It doesn't affect anything. Pacman and apt ultimately do the same thing, install a package and it's dependencies, and that's all they have to do.
>>
>>55448423
Also, you won't be doing work in a terminal while you're installing something anyway, so why does it matter about the output it gives you?
>>
>>55448423
>information about the installation of a package
I don't really need things like
Reading database
Hit abc from the def server
Processing triggers etc. pacman installs just looks cleaner
>>
>>55448447
Hey you are the one saying you find no difference, why change the topic now?
>>
>>55448469
It's a pain to look for the optional deps in the forest of outputs
>>
>>55448489

>what is -qq for the third time
>>
>>55448505
I'm saying the complaints about apt are pointless and it's a trivial thing to prefer pacman over.
>>
>>55447049
Red Hat Enterprise Linux has a developer feature where you can get the OS and the Developer tool for free. You should check it out.

http://developers.redhat.com/blog/2014/06/26/rhel-7-is-for-developers/
>>
>>55448520
It tells you which dependencies will be installed if they haven't already been installed right next to the package you're installing. Now you're just talking out of your ass
>>
>>55447049
>>Crux
>If only it had a good wiki
Just reading the fucking manual. If you want to copy and paste shit install arch.
>>
>>55448557
Where are the optional deps?
sudo apt install geany -qq
The following additional packages will be installed:
geany-common
Suggested packages:
doc-base
The following NEW packages will be installed:
geany geany-common
0 to upgrade, 2 to newly install, 0 to remove and 9 not to upgrade.
Need to get 2,772 kB of archives.
After this operation, 10.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>>
>>55448572
What's wrong with copy and pasting things?>>55448578
Just so we are clear, I was looking for geany-plugins
>>
>>55448578
>suggested package

It's like you're a complete tard.
>>
>>55448595
see >>55448589
>>
>>55448589
Copy and pasting stuff doesnt teach you about the system. You just google and copy shit every time you want to do something.
>>
>>55448607
Plugins are not dependencies. Geany itself would be a dependency to the plugins.
>>
>>55448660
Yes they are optional dependencies, and that's what I was looking for

>>55448640
Nice blog, where do I find a like button?
>>
>>55448675
Learn what a dependency is before you go around looking like a fool. It's in the name, ffs.
>>
File: 1452606539767.png (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1452606539767.png
8 KB, 250x250
>>55447049
I dislike your picture OP, because Windows 10 is only a part of a much bigger problem.
>>
>>55448700
If you have run out of arguments you don't need to post any more
>>
>>55448726
It's not an argument. You're simply a dunce, because you're asking a question with the wrong terminology, expecting us to have answers for something that can't be answered because you're using the wrong fucking word.
>>
>>55448640
>>>55448640 (You)
>Nice blog, where do I find a like button?
Top right corner of the window it looks like an "X"
>>
>>55448796
for
>>55448675
>>
File: 1455760570589.jpg (50 KB, 313x163) Image search: [Google]
1455760570589.jpg
50 KB, 313x163
>>55448807
>Having an X button
haha
>>
>>55448714
Microsoft is now competing with Google in terms of botnet and spyware service, how do we even get rid of them?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.