[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Programmer here. I've used various versions of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 4314.VisualBasic_v_rgb_ai_2.jpg (11 KB, 320x191) Image search: [Google]
4314.VisualBasic_v_rgb_ai_2.jpg
11 KB, 320x191
Beginner Programmer here.

I've used various versions of Visual Basic (5, 6 .Net, 8) and I want to get onto a new programming language, preferably one which isn't child's play.

What one does /g/ recommend? Python? Swift? C? I would like to make apps if possible I just don't know where to start.
>>
>I would like to make apps

If games, then java then move onto java's libGDX
If applications for apple products then Obj-C
>>
>>55443977

You want Smalltalk.
>>
>>55444655
>apps can only be games or mobile apps
Back to le >>>/v/ with you, normie
>>
>>55447914
Your attitude is disgusting.
>>
>>55443977
>being a basic bitch

Apps are child's play. Java works fine.
>>
>>55443977
If you have an android phone and want to make apps for that, learn java.

In fact, if VB is the only language you've used then you should consider java regardless. People meme about it being slow but its a good language. You can build big applications with it without getting bogged down by the actual syntax (like C or C++). It'll also teach you object oriented programming pretty well. Plus since its taught in almost every school there are tons of resources
>>
>>55448003
C++ woud be better as a learning tool, but java would actually get you a job.
>>
>>55443977
It really depends on what you want to do. Most programming languages have one domain in which they excel. VB is excellent for writing small scripts that interact with Microsoft Office. Java is supposedly the most popular programming language in the world, and the best language for writing android applications. Python is great for writing desktop applications and I like it much better than Java, but it's unfortunately not as well supported on Android. If you want to try your hand at simple games on the desktop, Python's tkinter library is a great place to start. If you want to make apps for Apple smart phones, you have to use one of Objective-C or Swift, and I don't know anything about either of those. C is used wherever performance is the biggest concern, in microcontrollers and operating systems. C++ is like a more feature-rich version of C, and it's often used for writing large and performance-sensitive desktop applications like Firefox, though there are many other areas of application. My personal favorite is Haskell, which is working its way out of academia into the server world since it's fast and supposed to be extremely reliable. I find myself re-using code written in Haskell more than any other language.

If you're going to keep programming, you're going to end up learning at least half a dozen languages. Don't get too caught up in which one you pick as your first or second, because you can always switch, and you will usually be able to apply skills learned programming in one language to another.

The way that I got into programming was to tackle Project Euler problems. For an intelligent person, I think this is a good way to start. It gets you thinking seriously about math, algorithms, and performance. People who don't get good at these things end up writing shitty ugly slow code. Another fun place to learn is r/dailyprogrammer.

Good luck!
>>
>>55448231
C++ is slightly antiquated at this point. Things like separating classes between header files and .cpp files, manual memory management, and other strange quirks. C++ is good if you're a trail by fire type learner, and you want to know how languages work on a slightly deeper level.

Java has a much more modern look and feel to it. I also personally believe that having classes be completely contained within their own singular file helps conceptualize object oriented programming better. Also, manual memory management may seem like a thing that you want on the surface, but really it'll create more issues than it'll solve for a beginner.
>>
>>55448388
Keeping headers and implementations separate is just convention. You can implement all your functions in the header file if you want to.

I agree that C++ isn't a good first language though.
>>
Javascript, Python, Java...all good choices. Pick one to start and get grinding.
>>
>>55448468

>C++ isn't a good first language though.

I still don't understand this sentiment. The only thing that may seem weird about it to a first timer is the syntax but that is the case for almost any language. Otherwise I think it's a great place to start for a self-motivated individual.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.