[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1464763439719.jpg (610 KB, 1280x1912) Image search: [Google]
1464763439719.jpg
610 KB, 1280x1912
>By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
I've seen other programs doing this as well. Can it stop? Notepad++ isn't intensive enough to be relevant to cpu throttling. And a "bigger picture" notion of how everything is cumulative and connected, also results in something trivial.

It's a stupid thing to write when there are real problems to deal with. Ultimately software is going to be written to do what it needs to in a way that hopefully performs well, and it's going to be run on the hardware to do a certain task, when that task needs to be done, how that task, needs to be done. It's very simple. And there are myriad other ways people waste, like mowing their goddamn lawn every fucking week. That's something you can extrapolate hard figures about.

It's a gimmicky feel good marketing style.
>>
>>55443352
Who is this junk foodie?
>>
>>55443352
>It's a gimmicky feel good marketing style.
(And I wish it would fuck off.)

It's a symbol of a false and self deluding cultural ethos. While we might not have rivers catching on fire anymore, relative to the imminent possibility of ecological collapse, people are just as bad as they've ever been. And there are more of us.
>>
Rei > Asuka
>>
>>55443364
Don't know. Probably among the better Asuka cosplay I've seen though.
>>
>>55443399
I used to think that until I realized I appreciated both. And Misato.
>>
>>55443352
Yeah, because my fucking text editor is the real power hog on my machine.

Fucking hippies.
>>
>>55443352
>It's a gimmicky feel good marketing style.
2016 optimizing code is now gimmicky.
fuck of you retarded cunt. go to your dedicated poo street and take a sip of the gutter. you are everything that is wrong with the world.

if you do something do it right EVER STEP of the way but thats something a half baked retard like you cant understand even if i write it with crayons
>>
>>55443352
>By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.

Why couldn't they just say, "your electric bill will be barely, imperceptibly cheaper?"

winbabies btfo
>>
File: Ibuki.Maya.full.180641.jpg (2 MB, 3537x3335) Image search: [Google]
Ibuki.Maya.full.180641.jpg
2 MB, 3537x3335
>>55443399
>>55443412
>being into 14 year olds
Maya is best girl
>>
>>55443769
It's like you didn't even read my post.

I have a more relentless "do it right" efficiency mindset than you could ever hope to achieve. I'm just going to put that out there. So no matter where you are, or what you're coding, you can think to yourself and remember that someone out there cares more about efficiency than you think you do. And that someone is me.

The point isn't that efficiency is gimmicky, it's that it's a stupid borderline disingenuous way to frame it.
>>
>>55443821
Maya's tendency towards panic and poor moral reasoning, is unattractive. She is cute though.

Misato reminds me too much of my mother. Thanks Anno.
>>
>>55443821
Maya would be best except she's [spoiler]queerer than Shinji[/spoiler]

Misato a best
>>
>>55443352
if you don't like it, why don't you write your own text editor that leaks resources and spawns new threads sitting idle until it uses up all the memory and CPU cycles it can to counteract the impact of Notepad++ users?
>>
>>55444755
kek'd and checked.

Every time I see "Whale Wars" on TV, I want to design and build a whaling ship that runs on whale oil
>>
>>55443352
>sjws found a reason to actually make programs efficent
>this is somehow a bad thing
Stop complaining and enjoy your optimization.
>>
>>55444755
Again, not the point.

>>55444857
>This optimization is a new thing
>Has any meaningful environmental impact
>Has any meaningful social impact

People who were competent and cared about focusing on efficiency already were. People who weren't probably won't be too grand at it, even if they can put in effort to get in on that environmentalism cred in their local social feedback loops.
>>
I wonder if they wrote the optimisations on clean energy?
If not, three seconds of work would be burning more coal than they ever save.
Still,
>not #CodingOnSolar
>2019
>>
>>55444857
Wait, wait, WAIT!
Could we use this as an excuse to nag devs to optimize their shit?
Holy shit this could be great.
>>
>>55444961
Not to mention on the chemical energy expended.

Where did they get that food? Where did they get that water? Where did they get their computer, their electricity, how did they transfer the data across the internet.

Oh that's right... mechanized farming, mechanized transportation, mechanized mining, and industrial scale manufacturing.

Always a bigger picture. The universe seems to demand dualisms, but these are some we must be honest about to eventually counterbalance.
>>
File: 1388132677378.gif (1 MB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1388132677378.gif
1 MB, 300x256
The notepad++ author is french, so it's a given that he's a dumb butt.

On the more important subject:

I like Asuka best at the moment, but I seem to change my mind on a regular basis whenever I read a particularly good fanfic or doujin..

I definitely do not like Mari, and Hikari, Maya and Ritsuko are all firmly in the "meh" category.
>>
>>55445235
Misato?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.