[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a command to read the epub format in terminal like the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: libro_epub.jpg (33 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
libro_epub.jpg
33 KB, 480x480
Is there a command to read the epub format in terminal like the PDF's "less <filename>.pdf" command?

>I'm on Ubuntu
>>
>>55442421
i'm sure there is a way to convert it to plaintext so you can read it in the terminal.
Don't know about just straight up using a tool to read it
>>
>>55442449
I can use Calibre to convert it to a PDF but I was just wondering if there was a way to circumvent all that and just do it right away.
>>
>>55442421
Do this
>https://2buntu.com/articles/1424/reading-epub-files-without-an-epub-reader/
Then open the HTML file in Lynx or your favorite terminal based web browser
>>
>>55442470
If all you need is a quick and easy way to check the content of an EPUB file, without caring about any fancy GUI, maybe an EPUB reader with command line interface might just do. epub is a minimalistic EPUB reader written in Python, which allows you to read an EPUB file in a terminal environment. You can switch between chapter/TOC views, up/down a page, and nothing more. This is as simple as any EPUB reader can possibly get.
>>
>>55442528
https://github.com/rupa/epub
seems about as simple as it gets.
>>
>>55442598
Thanks, looks promising. Will check. Gtg
>>
>>55442502
You could've just told OP that he can unzip .epub
But no, you decided to be a faggot and link to some website that told exactly the same but in a thousand words.
Good job, faggot.
>>
>>55443033
thanks for summary
>>
Another method:

Install the Calibre ebook suite, then run
$ ebook-convert [source].epub out.txt 

It does a good job of stripping most eye candy from epubs, mobis and sometimes even pdf-s so you can read it in the terminal.

I make espeak audio books this way if I can't find a .txt source.
>>
>>55442421
epub is just zip file with xml, html, jpg files inside.
Act accordingly.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.