[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't fucking follow man pages, docs, guides. I always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
I can't fucking follow man pages, docs, guides.

I always end up watching tutorials on YouTube.

I feel dumb for this. Anyone else?
>>
>>55442238
no
>>
>>55442238
Who is he?
>>
>>55442238
I forgot this guy existed
>>
>>55442328
>>55442432
looks like Bucky Roberts
>>
Yeah u just don't like reading. Same with me
>>
Documentation is written for people who already are familiar with the context. It's completely natural to have to learn the fundamentals of whatever general subjects the specific documentation relates to before you can comfortably read and understand it.

Most tutorials, presentations, and youtube shit are aimed at the lowest common denominator. The correct thing to do is to take a course, either at a university or properly follow through some MOOC program.
>>
>>55442238
yes, but those youtube tutorials end up being snakeoil

it's just the promise of instant gratification borne out of your desperation for social interaction with another human being, in this case for the purpose of guidance and mentorship. what you really need to do is try (and likely fail) at reading man pages, docs, guides, or fuck it, just blow shit up hard, and post on a forum or irc or github issues or stackoverflow or reddit or wherever and try to connect with someone, anyone who might know what they're doing more than you do. squeeze them for all their worth and find another brain to latch onto after that. keep jumping from host to host like a parasite until you've acquired enough knowledge to have an opinion or two. then make a twitter account.
>>
>>55442238
use bropages. http://bropages.org/
>>
File: tom.jpg (9 KB, 259x205) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
9 KB, 259x205
>>55442799
this shit has got to be satire
>>
>>55442754
Ia this copy pasta. Because it should be
>>
File: 1464282457330.png (5 KB, 703x73) Image search: [Google]
1464282457330.png
5 KB, 703x73
>>55442799
>>
>>55442754
Lies.
>>
yes, you are retarded. You will only find shit content on youtube.

The best information is hidden in the documentation, and aslo in
forums and blogs
>>
Do what I'm doing. Get a prescription to adderall then develop your reading work ethic or whatever. It's a skill you develop not something you're born with or whatever. At least that's my theory.
>>
I can't do long youtube tutorials because I get so bored at the pace. I can read faster than some jackass can talk.

So yes, you're probably stupid.
>>
>>55442238
Videos have their place. If you're flying blind, you're going to need some extra help. If you're looking up a flag you forgot, man/wiki is fine.
>>
>>55442238
Some man pages are better than others. The arch and gentoo wikis are probably the best places to learn, lkhg is also good but old. Get an old clapped out laptop and install one of the meme distros, the process will help. This stuff is not easy, it takes time and patience and will be frustrating. Often trying or reading something the first time doesn't work but makes so much more sense a day or two later. Pick a task and hack away, sqgt and fglt seem to be friendly places to ask about stuff.

To learn to use vim install it and then type vimtutor in a terminal. Changed my life.
To learn about networks read a book, A top down approach is a gentle and interesting read.
google over the wire, but if your not familiar with linux be prepared to read.
stack overflow has an abundance of idiots who don't know what they are doing. If a solution seems overly complicated it probably is.

Good luck anon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.