[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Linux mint fags - MATE, Cinnamon or KDE.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1467282617898.jpg (29 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1467282617898.jpg
29 KB, 460x460
ITT: Linux mint fags - MATE, Cinnamon or KDE.
>>
recently installed cinnamon on my desktop after a partitioning near-nightmare in W7. had to reformat after a lovely 'BOOTMGR.exe is missing' error

also discovered that a brand new ASUS laptop's default BIOS is incompatible with the newest version of mint. has anyone had any experience trying to install it on their newer models?
>>
>>55441240
ITT: Dumb frogposters
>>
Does installing Cinnamon in ubuntu count?

Can you link some aesthetic themes?
>>
>>55441311
you're just new to the Linux game. If you go into your BIOS I bet you have settings preventing proper partitioning for dual boot purposes, check if you have UEFI or secure boot or legacy and search Google for people having the same problem. You can get Linux on anything
>>
Mint MATE Here
>>
>>55441444
yeah being new, going thru all the legacy/secureboot bullshit was good to learn..

after digging around on google a bit,
people were saying that the BIOS needs a firmware update on that model(??) to be compatible with mint.

pretty strange considering it was brand new. im sure there are other distros that aren't as much of a headache. after the reformat on my pc it was a very clean, quick install.. but if i try on the laptop the screen just shits itself after i go past the GRUB menu.
>>
Put mint/cinnamon on a shit HP laptop and its been running fine and dandy. Too bad I've had trouble getting other distros to install on it, so I'm stuck with mint.
>>
>>55441510
Shouldn't need an update, just a change of boot mode, to either disable secure boot or add linux mint to the secure boot list in the efi shell.
>>
>>55441240
Cinnamon.

I have cinnamon even on my Arch Linux and not just on my LMDE.
>>
>>55441497

Frasier...nice!
>>
>>55441240

Definitely Cinnamon.
>>
>>55441240
Not sure I understand the appeal; as a semi competent linux user, what does Mint offer over something like Fedora or Ubuntu?

Won't include Debian because the separation of non-free drivers (fucking hardware functionality) makes it off-putting
>>
>>55441497
T
O
S
S A L A D
E
D
>>
>>55441311
I have the Asus Zenbook Pro and I had a hard time installing Linux (Antergos). Use Systemd-boot instead of grub
>>
Cinnamon. Ugly but light and functional. Comfy af
>>
File: 1451532798094.png (95 KB, 650x309) Image search: [Google]
1451532798094.png
95 KB, 650x309
>>55441240
DANGEROUS UNSAVE DANGEROUS UNSAVE DANGEROUS UNSAVE

https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-mint-website-hacked-malicious-backdoor-version/

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

DANGEROUS UNSAVE DANGEROUS UNSAVE DANGEROUS UNSAVE

Enjoy your broken sytems.
>>
>>55442049
>"af"
kill yourself
>>
>>55441240
If you like click ctrl alt shift r to record vp8/webm screencast, cinnamon.
>>
>>55441240
cinnamon for meh
>>
>>55442096
Seems to me blindly updating you're kernel every time, whether there's a need to or not, would result in more broken systems than having kernel updates optional, with notifications of regressions and security fixes.
>>
Just use Debian. I have cinnamon installed on it
>>
MATE is gr8
>>
Cinnamon
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.