[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hst/ - Home server thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 19
File: IMG_20160706_204829.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_204829.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
/hst/? /hst/.

My 6x 1TB NAS drives in pic related (mix of WD blues and greens) are approaching 5 years old, no signs of trouble but I'm getting antsy about having drives that old, especially with no fault tolerance (running JBOD, muh anus). I have not needed to look at spinning rust for a long time so I'm behind the curve a little. I'd like to replace each with at least 2TB so I can set up some decent sized RAIDs and worry less about data integrity and drives nosediving.

I know HGST make some solid 2.5" drives and I also read good things about WD red's, am I on the right track looking to these guys for drives? Do you have a better recommendation? Price is not a factor, I just want another solid 5 years of performance.
>>
>tfw /g/ is too busy bootlicking nvidia/amd to contribute to an actual tech thread

fuck this board
>>
>>55438988
OP here, someone tried to start a graphics card general and that got shat all over as well.

We're doomed.
>>
>>55438820
What do anons use them for? I'm curious.
>>
Hitachi or nothing at all, been my M.O. for a decade now, never had one bad bit, one bad sector, desktop or laptop drives, no regrets at all.

Know lots of folks that trust(ed) Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba (I mean really), and other drive makers and now regret those decisions but they finally bought Hitachi and have also had zero issues with 24/7 use for years.

HGST arguably makes the best hard drives on the planet to this day. Sure you might pay just a bit more for them but you do get what you pay for: nearly perfect long term reliability and stability.

There is no substitute if your data is important to you.
>>
>>55438820
Here's the FAQ I use when I open an HSG...

What would you use a home server for? /g/ answer - Fuck you, you turbo autist! Simple answer - For whatever you want. From media to development to virtualization, options abound.

Power - Any server DDR2 based is going to be power hungry. Most multi-socket Intel DDR2 systems are FBDIMM based. Anything else is ECC. With DDR3 based units coming off 2nd lease, anything DDR2 should be avoided.

Plex - 1080p transcoding at 10MBPS requires a CPUMark score of ~2000 per stream. This is especially true with first generation i3/5/7 / DDR3 Xeons. The more recent the CPU, the more slack there is in this. For some reason, Plex doesn't seem to like low power options (Xeon 1220L, for example).

Virtualization - ESXi, KVM, Hyper-V, etc. ESXi is generally used by Linux heavy shops that aren't cloud centered. KVM is usually used in OpenStack. Hyper-V is for mostly Microsoft centric shops. These are all free, so use what you like.

Storage - Both ZFS and Storage Spaces pool. If you're going to use these options, do NOT configure the drive with a hardware RAID controller. Many options are available in general, such as FreeNAS, Nas4Free, OpenMediaVault, Windows Storage Server, Linux / Unix / BSD, etc. Some are free, some are not.

What should I get? A good starting point, if you don't want to build your own system, is an HP Proliant Micro G8, 8GB DDR3 ECC (Not Registered or RDIMM), 4 3.5" drives, and a 16GB micro SD card. Install OpenMediaVault on the SD card, and enjoy ZFS, Plex, and whatever else you want to try.

Where can I get things? Ebay is a good place to start. Used / refurbished gear is fine, provided that the seller is selling a large quantity of them. With drives especially, this is the case. The only real drive to avoid is the Seagate ES.2 1TB. These have faulty firmware and fail prematurely (Ask EMC).
>>
>>55439031
Media Backup, Web Hosting and media streaming mostly.
>>
>>55438820
Dell PowerEdge T620 (2x Xeon 2660 / 192GB / 2x 240 GB PNY 1311 / 4x 480GB PNY 1311 / 12x Hitachi Ultrastar (7K3000) 3TB)
Server 2012 R2 Datacenter w/ Storage Spaces.
240's are RAID 1 and for OS + tools
480's are in tiered pool with 2TB drives.
3TB presented to Hyper-V. Presented as multiple mirror. Only VM pool is tiered.
1TB presented as temp transfer share. No redundancy.
1TB presented to profiles. Presented as multiple mirror. Roaming profiles are enabled. This may change.
12TB presented to Plex. Drive is offline to VHOST, and presented directly to VM. Redundancy is RAID 5.

VM count - 22 production
4x DC (2 core / 2GB RAM / 60GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
2x NS w/ DHCP (2 core / 2GB RAM / 60GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
Sharepoint (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 120GB content / 2012 R2)
Team Foundation Server (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 120GB content / 2012 R2)
System Center Operations Manager (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
Plex (8 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 12GB Media / 2012 R2)
System Center Configuation Manager (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 1TB content / 2012 R2 / increased CPU priority because transcoding)
SQL (8 core / 32GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2 / SQL 2012)
Offline root CA (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
AD Subordinate CA (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
2x Exchange 2013 CAS (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2)
2x Exchange 2012 MBX (4 core / 16GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2)
Dirsync (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
AD Federation Service (2 core / 4GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
NAP / VPN / Direct connect (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 2012 R2 core)
PBX (4 core / 8GB RAM / 80GB OS / 250GB content / 2012 R2 / 3CX)

Firewall - PCEngines APU1D4 (128GB SSD / Untangle)
Switch - Dell X1018P (16 port GIGE managed PoE + 2SFP)
AP - EAP1750H (PoE)
Phone - Polycom CX700 (5 in service)
>>
>>55439042
>Hitachi
Totally off my radar, will have a look. WD's have always been my go-to but again, it's been a while, times may have changed. Thanks for the confirm on HGST, looks like it's down to Hitachi and HGST.

>>55439049
Thanks, went digging through RBT archive trying to find the OP copypasta but couldn't find it. fukken saved.

>>55439031
I have career changed out of aviation into IT, I'm gunna use this box to set up a testbed domain controller/mail/file server for learnings and giggles. The drives used to be in an HP N40L with the last two in external enclosures. My partner is also a graphic designer who wants to move into web design and hosting, so she'll likely end up setting up some hosting and database software on it as well. Picked this from my new employer to dick around on a few weeks ago (plus some catalyst switches and a few other odds and ends), seems like a good time to do a drive refresh before we get balls deep. I'm sure I'll come up with some better home uses as I get my head around everything.

>>55439057
I know you love posting this at every opportunity, and I know you never get replies to your cock pumping, so here's your (you)
>>
Im new and going to try this VM server thing

removing web and database server in my main pc and retiring my old dual core nas here is my planned specs
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yYpyf8

anything wrong?
>>
File: Photo-2016-07-01-21-950-33_1898.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Photo-2016-07-01-21-950-33_1898.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Server: DNS, DHCP, Emby, Samba, Transmission, and testbed for a lot of the things I run on my dedi.

Zabbix agent so I can get push notifications from my main server when things change, and OSSEC to harrass me via email because I'm too lazy to configure it just now.

4TB total storage for various stuff.

Pic related - the best server security.
>>
File: eLVpT4a[1].jpg (934 KB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
eLVpT4a[1].jpg
934 KB, 3024x4032
i have;

dell poweredge t110 II
xeon e3 1220
4gb ddr3 ecc
4x300 gb 15k SAS raid 0
-web server, file server, vpn, remote desktop.
dell optiplex
amd athlon 64x2 5600+
4gb drr2
150gb sata
-mail server

and another one like that only with a 5000 athlon processor that is currently doing nothing

and a nas with 2x1 tb harddrives one of which are backing up both servers

can you reccomend me services i can set up on thse machines to kill some time?

also i feel like i have too much power here, they are always just idling. too bad the ram in these machines are too limited to do anything fun
>>
>>55439230
DHCP and a PIHole is always a nice couple of services to offload them from your router.
>>
>>55439170
Actually, while I'm here, I'd like to access this from work so I can dick around with it in my downtime but I'm terrified of baring its arse to the public internet because hackers on steroids, plus I still have minimal idea what I'm doing. From what I can ascertain I need to open a port on my firewall, point that port to the server IP, then find something like dyndns to point my domain at my public (dynamic) IP. I could do VPN, but I'd still need to open a port, right?
>>
>>55439057

at least this guy knows what's up
people with "servers" with 4/8/16 GB of ram or other related pansy numbers are just being ridiculous. If you aren't running vms and hosting services/using ZFS on your server, you're wasting your money and could have gotten away with a synology box or some other pleb garbage. It'd be smaller, waste less power, make less noise, make less heat, cost less, and be made of brand new parts rather than shit you scrounged off ebay that businesses were selling for 99% off for good reason.
>>
>>55439536
How uninteresting home lab threads would be if everyone just ran a NAS, sure the guy running all the shit from home - grats to him, but I just like to mess about with my setup, doing stuff here and there that I can then roll out to my actual server in the "cloud". Fuck running services from my house, 80/20 UK VDSL, no thanks. Besides, I get to do all sorts of neat shit at work anyway.
>>
>>55439630
That's what I'm saying. There isn't much you can run with 4 or 8GB of ram, server-wise. That's just an old toaster, not a server.
>>
File: 6OpgYKQ.png (36 KB, 901x386) Image search: [Google]
6OpgYKQ.png
36 KB, 901x386
>>55439640
There's plenty you can run, you just don't need to run a billion virtual machines to do it all individually, inefficient - probably, but it's a homelab for testing. Example, 2 GB of RAM and it's running all the stuff I stated here >>55439196 as well as some other stuff I may have forgotten about already, databases and some other stuff for vulnerability scanning.

As for the thing, Picked it up for free, doesn't use much electricity, isn't noisy and doesn't generate much heat.

People have rack servers just laying about there house running, though, I don't agree with that shit.
>>
>>55439536
You already got your (you), go cry elsewhere faggot. No one cares about your autistic little list.
>>
>>55439701
2GB of RAM used*
>>55439640
Also, not trying to start an argument with you, Anon, but many people will have many different uses for their equipment.
>>
>>55438820
Is it me or anyone else having problems with Qbittorrent-nox? It's crashing with some floating point errors randomly.

So I made a bash script that starts qbittorrent-nox in a forever loop.
>>
File: best server.jpg (28 KB, 544x214) Image search: [Google]
best server.jpg
28 KB, 544x214
plus i got a core duo @ 2.16 GHz 2GB ram waiting for serverization but i need a case and a HDD
>>
>spinning rust

I don't know why, but I immediately want to murder in the most horrific way possible anyone who uses that term.
>>
>>55439170
lol, this is way scaled down. I get a few replies, and have triggered a few people over time, so it's worth it.

I'm not sure leaving aviation to get into IT was the best idea, but if it works for you, then it's good enough. FYI - Core 2012 R2 can run a DC in a ~800MB memory footprint.
>>
>>55438820
I got a freemason server running for about 1 year on only WD red and RE drives. I7 4770 with 16gb ecc memory. Stable just running Plex server.
>>
I have a laptop with an i7 3632QM and 8GB DDR3. would it be feasible to use this as a web server? Also, what kind of (wired) Internet speed is recommended for serving web content (no amateur shit)
>>
>>55439934
Do you want to serve static html text pages or video/owncloud/vnc/vpn?

If you want that, you would probably want an up speed as fast as you can get it. 50-60mb/s is usually pretty good to start out.
>>
>>55440200
I'm looking to host a Java web application using Spring that serves JSPs. Probably using TomcatEE or Jetty to serve the content. I just know most VPS providers give 1-2Gbps, so I'm just wondering if it's even worth trying to serve your own when you can only reasonably get like 500Mbps or less?
>>
>>55440291
how many clients are you looking to serve?
If storage isn't an issue and you can afford a VPS, that's usually the way to go.
>>
>>55438820

The board moves too quick for this stuff. I check the other chan now and then and they have threads but they are slow. I dont go there for any other reason so its just to check in now and then. At least their slow threads stay alive. I would almost want to link over there but cross board posting will just get shit on.
>>
Hey guys, I have an old netbook laying around and I want to put it to use. Would it be feasable to use as an openvpn/ssh/nas server on an atom 270 with 2gb of ram? Maybe run a wordpress server off of to fuck with for learning purposes.
>>
>tfw zabbix all green. no problems to fix while bored at work
>>
>>55439713
Yet you cry about it just the same...
>>
>>55439536
Not really. I don't expect that anyone else has my requirements, and if I didn't need the increased io I'd still be running a microserver g8.

But I do, and I get room for production and testing.
>>
Would love to host a server at home but my upload is shit (120/12). So I'll stick with soyoustart for now. It's a E5-1650, 64GB ecc, 4TB raid 1 (2x4TB). Storing about 16TB of movies and tv on unlimited amazon cloud drive, using a combination of encfs, acd_cli, and unionfs. No problems with 8 concurrent 1080p streams from the cloud drive.
>>
>>55438820
mind you these are all 3.5" drives but in my nas has a mix of 2x seagate 2tb, 1x wd green 2tb, 3x wd 2tb and 2x hgst nastar 5tb.
the seagates and wd green i had from before i built the machine the red's i got later and the hgst are the newest. ill be replacing the older drives with more hgst 5tbs when they start throwing checksum errors. gotta say the hgst drives are great so far, they are easily twice as fast as the reds and moreso than the green and seagates.
for just the speed increase over other similar nas drives the extra price is worth it imo. they supposedly have a much much lower ROF than other brands but only time will tell on that front.
>>
>>55439031

media server, torrenting, home automation, shits and giggles
>>
>not using a hp microserver
plebs
>>
what about life time of hard drive ?
i had 4 hitachi 1TO
2 died 2 day ago :/
AFter 7 years of h24/7 day running
>>
>>55443814
>1TO
:I

anyway, 7 years is pretty fucking nice. don't think you will get that with a drive purchased today
>>
File: 20160704_130621.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160704_130621.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>55438820
am I doing it right
>>
>>55443836
yes 1TB but 7 years old,
okey ,
but we can't get any stuff with same life time today ?
>>
>>55443856
a windows server :/
baaa
>>
>>55443895
well its hard to say because we would need to be 7 years into the future before we can say for sure, but failure rates are exploding currently, especially when you go over 2 tb.

if you buy 2TB drives and up you should not expect a whole lotta life time
>>
>>55443856

Did you poo in it?
>>
>>55443979
so i should avoid hard drive more than 2TB ?
mhm i had plan to buy a hitachi 4TB, but maybe i will wait .. or 2x2tb?
>>
>>55443998
yes
>>
I use a solar powered raspberry pi for mumble/irc server/irc bouncer/SFTP does that count?
>>
anyone got a lead on the best deal for a 2tb hard drive currently?

I'm getting tired of making cut backs on my pron folder.
>>
>>55444178
i think yes
because rasoberry pi is awesome !
and maintain his own communication server is good for privacy and freedom
>>
File: schema-global.png (54 KB, 759x598) Image search: [Google]
schema-global.png
54 KB, 759x598
What is the best way to set up encrypted self-hosted cloud storage?
Infinit looks promising, but it is still in early development stage.
>>
>>55444268
owncloud
>>
>>55444593
yes owncloud is a good alternative =)
and there is app on android
>>
>>55444268
SSHFs has been serving me well on the local network.

It's nice for mounting small folders through the ISP connection.
>>
>>55440322
Ideally at least 50 at a time. I'm guessing VPS is the way to go at that point. I just don't understand how VPS providers can afford to do it so cheaply given the cost of high speed Internet. I guess they bank on being able to split one line among several hundreds of VPSes, many of which are idle at least half the time.
>>
File: DSCN070xxx8.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2465) Image search: [Google]
DSCN070xxx8.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2465
>drive in RAID fails
>fine, order new one and replace
>new one fails during rebuuild
>happens, RMA it and get new one
>that fails during rebuild
>eh? ok, replace RAID card
>still fails, infarct another drive fails too but rebuilds fine
>eh! eh! change cables because why not?
>all drives appear but original one fails during rebuild

im starting to think PSU since not much else left

I'll poke it when im done with nep VII
>>
Two octa-core Xeons.
64GB ECC RAM.
16x 500GB 10k SAS in RAID 10
Redundant 950W PSU.
48/48 symmetric fiber.
GTX 980.

Runs an SSH and IRC server visible to the Internet. Web server and file backups are only accessible within home intranet. Two cores are dedicated to pfSense and an attached router acting as a wireless bridge provides WiFi for the house.

118 days of uptime and counting.

Pretty comfy m8.
>>
>>55447323
How do you make an intranet like that?
>>
>>55447364
I just set the router to operate in bridge mode so that it serves as an access point to one of the ethernet ports controlled by pfSense. The printer is connected to an ethernet port on the router, and all other devices connect via WiFi. Internet connection goes directly into the server from an AT&T ADSL2 modem.
>>
>>55438820
I'm in the same situation, just on a smaller scale. Last drive I bought a couple of months ago was a 4TB WD Red for backup of the other 3.

I just do incremental backups once a month (I don't have anything that critical on them) and plan on running the smaller drives right into the ground. When they die, replace with higher capacity WD Reds.

Of course the endgame is to nab an older workstation/SBS to stash under a cabinet at my parents' house and do backups to it (in the process of moving back to the same town). Of course, I'll also offer to host a backup of their devices' data at my place too.
>>
>>55447281
what do you store in those drives?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (618 KB, 1923x1028) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
618 KB, 1923x1028
>>55447635
nothing very interesting
>>
>>55447364
If you don't want to serve any web traffic outside the LAN, block incoming web traffic at the IP level. Use iptables for that, or some higher-level tool that sets up iptables rules such as ufw. To block all incoming HTTP and HTTPS traffic, block TCP ports 80 and 443, assuming your LAN corresponds to the address range 203.0.113.0/24 (i.e. 203.0.113.*):
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80,443 -s \!203.0.113.0/24 -j REJECT

You might as well block all incoming ports except the ones you know you need. For example, to allow only incoming SSH requests, as well as incoming traffic from the LAN and exclude all other incoming traffic:
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport http,https -s 203.0.113.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-14-22-35-12.png (462 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-14-22-35-12.png
462 KB, 1440x2560
Looking for some cool ideas to use a server for. For an example of what I consider something cool, see the pic. Anyone have any other cool ideas? Basically cool ideas that require complex configuration that actually serves a purpose.
>>
>>55447888
>iptables
Yea i now remember again why i went with pf for firewalling.
>>
Hi there. I've posted this before, but I might as well do it again for some references. I was thinking of building a NAS with loads of storage, but since I was already going to spend that much on storage, then I might as well get higher performing parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VcCBPs. Does it look fine? I'm not getting a rack anytime soon and I don't know much about desktop redundant PSUs. I'll be on the lookout for Zen as well as an alternative next year.

Anyways, I have a few questions:
1) How are ZFS and btrfs on Debian? It seems that the former is preferred even if it's a port. On the later, Debian's wiki on btrfs doesn't recommend running RAID5/6. I'd try it on my desktop, but all of the drives are in use.
2) People mention VMs, but what exactly would I do in a VM that I wouldn't do on the bare metal?
3) I'm thinking of using the not bought yet server mostly for ffmpeg encoding, network shares, mumble, etc. Anything else I should setup?
3.1) Even though I won't try point 1) right now, what should I try to setup on the desktop to get my hands a little dirtier? I have samba shares and ssh, that's it. Pic is specs.

I'll go read up on the wiki now.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Setting_up_a_Server
>>
File: 12991992385.jpg (123 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
12991992385.jpg
123 KB, 400x400
>>55443856
Windows Server.
>>
>>55443856
LTT pls go.
>>
File: Linux-VPS-Operating-Systems.png (195 KB, 575x454) Image search: [Google]
Linux-VPS-Operating-Systems.png
195 KB, 575x454
Which distro should I not be using for a server?
>>
>>55449690
Arch
>>
>>55449690
Ubuntu or Debian Sid.
>>
>>55449690
Mint
>>
>>55449690
Ubuntu or Debian
>>
File: 20160701_175920.jpg (465 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
20160701_175920.jpg
465 KB, 1500x1125
>>
Wow. This thread reminds me of /g/ before it went full consumer-mode.

Thank you for that lads.

Relevant questions:
-vyatta/vyos, any experience with it?
-ESXi virtual router. Performance issue in comparison yo da reel thang?
-Why are people looking down on 8/16gb servers? I have small little nucs that serve just as well as big, loud and obsolete server ware.
-smbd linux service, how to ensure transport encryption within a local network? I fear rogue mitm relays and other frequently employed techniques.
-ftp or scp over ssh?
-vnc or rdp or X over ssh?

Looking forward to hear from you folks, finally a discussion that is actually /g/. I hope i am the only one with this sentiment.
>>
>>55450464
use pfsense
it works fine
because they are fucking garbage and show you dont need one in the first place
use windows server instead
either
rdp
>>
>>55450464
That's what happens when you ignore /v/ theads in /g/ instead of reporting them
>>
i'm thinking about installing couchpotato on my server. anyone used it before? is it smart enough to avoid downloading cams and shit? also what's the best alternative for tv shows?
>>
>>55439230

>LOL on laptop
>>
File: cheap server.png (40 KB, 728x444) Image search: [Google]
cheap server.png
40 KB, 728x444
How's this for my first media server?
>>
>>55450464

Nucs aren't terrible as appliances. I've got one for PXE and a Mac Mini (kill me) for netboot. Beyond that you might as well put that money into more robust hardware--and that doesn't necessarily mean rack-mounted leaf blower shit.

I got a dead silent T7610 with 2x2650v2 and 32GB RAM for $500 the other day. There are good deals out there you just need to be patient.
>>
File: Capture.png (25 KB, 737x310) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
25 KB, 737x310
>>55450731
if you aren't worried about power consumption you could get a much more powerful used workstation for the same price, such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141861064406?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it has nearly 3x the cpumark score. it does consume more power tho
>>
File: t3_4gbjtu.jpg (453 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
t3_4gbjtu.jpg
453 KB, 4160x3120
Asus 900HA: XP, 2GB, 1.6Ghz. FTP, Router logs,
DIR-616: DD-WRT, QoS,
Net: Up 1mb/s, Down 0.1Mb/s :'(
NAS: 2TB Window backups, Torrent downloads

I have 3 VPS's that do basic website stuff
>>
>>55450913
the power consumption was exactly what i was worried about. Wanted the thing to be maxed less than 140W.

I might switch the PSU and CPU though.
>>
Raspberry Pi A+
>>
File: 1466531846515.jpg (77 KB, 600x891) Image search: [Google]
1466531846515.jpg
77 KB, 600x891
>>55450464
>-vyatta/vyos, any experience with it?
Don't listen to the pfsense shills, VyOS is great, been running it for the past 2 years as a core router
>-ESXi virtual router. Performance issue in comparison yo da reel thang?
Performance is going to be much better than any hardware router, just dedicate 512MB of RAM and two cores and it'll handle 10GbE all day.
>-smbd linux service, how to ensure transport encryption within a local network? I fear rogue mitm relays and other frequently employed techniques.
samba is trash, either use Solaris kernel CIFS or just run a windows machine
>-ftp or scp over ssh?
scp
>-vnc or rdp or X over ssh?
X over ssh, there is also X2Go which is a much better protocol for forwarding, has compression and bounding box updates.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.