[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say I only have one set of peripherals that I want to alternate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: isitpossible.png (318 KB, 1195x532) Image search: [Google]
isitpossible.png
318 KB, 1195x532
Say I only have one set of peripherals that I want to alternate using with my desktop and my laptop (the laptop will leave the home office daily while the desktop stays put). If I don't want to plug the KVM cables to the laptop each time I want to use it, is the only solution a Docking Station + KVM Switch? The KVM would stay permanently connected to the docking station, and I would just dock the laptop whenever I want to use it with the peripherals. Is there a more elegant solution?

pic related
>>
b-bump
>>
>>55433026
Still not clear enough. How many cpus do you have? Laptop+desktop or just laptop?
>>
>>55433875

I have two CPU's: a laptop and a desktop.

I want the desktop to be permanently connected to the peripherals...

On occasion, I want to use the peripherals with the laptop...BUT I don't want to plug in too many cables (especially VGA cables)....SO, I'd like to be able to just put the laptop onto the dock and instantly be able to use it with the peripherals.

The laptop won't stay docked 24/7. I will undock it and take it to school with me a lot of the time. But when I'm at home, I want to use it on the big monitor (when I'm not using the desktop).
>>
File: save.png (46 KB, 2998x1418) Image search: [Google]
save.png
46 KB, 2998x1418
>>55433960
Why not do this?
>>
>>55434091

I don't quite get it. Is that unlabeled device you drew the KVM switch..So you're saying just switch the positions of the dock and KVM switch? I guess that could work, but I don't know if it's any simpler. I think you would need a minimum of two wires connecting the KVM switch and dock in any case. You'd need a VGA plus a USB connection between them.
>>
>>55434198
Its a thunderbolt dock thats the thunderbolt cable,you can just plug it in and out of the device you want to use the peripherals with. Just 1 cable is enough.
>>
>>55434229

Hm. I'm not sure if my machines support Thunderbolt...My laptop is a Thinkpad T430, and the closest thing it has is a Mini DisplayPort....My Desktop only has USB 2.0, USB 3.0, eSATA, and IEEE 1394 ports.
>>
OP here...

Wait....Can I just use Windows 10 Pro remote desktop??? Remove the hardware altogether????
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.