[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Single Board General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 16
File: Zero.jpg (183 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Zero.jpg
183 KB, 1024x1024
This thread is for discussion of all models of small, single board computers. As if /g/ didn't have enough generals already!

RASPBERRY PI:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/

C.H.I.P.:
https://getchip.com/
>>
What is the best microcontroller for fucking around with assembly?
>>
>>55432003
Any board ever.
>>
>>55432008
Arduino does not have a built in way to install custom boot software.
>>
>>55432048
Ok.
>>
File: 1458908459204.png (218 KB, 450x296) Image search: [Google]
1458908459204.png
218 KB, 450x296
>>55432048
>>
>>55431959
What's the practical purpose of this shit?
>>
>>55432908
Anything you can find a use for it
>>
>>55432926
That's the problem.
I once wanted to buy a raspberry to fuck around, but then I realized it has no purpose and didn't.

Seriously, what's the purpose?
>>
>>55432955
Like I said, anything you can find a use for it. If you can't find a use, don't buy it.
>>
Saw a neat use case for the new zero that is basically a continuous camera.

Using my older one for pi-hole at the moment, but would be neat to have a small camera to clip on my backpack.
>>
>>55432003
Any PIC
>>
>>55432955
You didnt find a purpose for it and you didnt buy it, good for you.
Im tired of tards getting one because its "super cheap and everyone talks about it!" but they only have it collecting dust
>>
>>55433008
Any use I could find for it is faster easier done by PC or even an old phone.

With smart TVs the last of it's uses has been eliminated.
I just fail to comprehend what do people even do with it.
What the fuck do you personally do with it?
>>
>>55433024
Wow, can't believe anyone would think this.

Must not be much of a tinkerer if you can't find at least one use case for it.
>>
>>55433024
>What the fuck do you personally do with it?

Domotic
>>
>>55433024
I use mine for learning MIPS assembly, I run my software on bare metal instead of in an emulator. I also keep it running in case there's a Linux program I want to try that doesn't have a precompiled OS X version available, I just use X11 forwarding over SSH. I'm going to set it up with Kodi and use it as an HTPC as well.
>>
>>55433024
You can do microcontroller stuff.

Life isn't all about gaymen and netflix
>>
>>55431959
What does /g/ think of the orange pi pc plus?

Originally wanted to get the plus 2 for 2gb ram and sata, but that's kill now
>>
>>55433024
It makes for a nice basic fileserver to have at home connected to an external hard drive. Install nas4free or something like that and you're up and running.
>>
>>55431959
you should have linked to the previous thread: >>55385067
>>
>>55433067
Makes more sense to do it with an arduino. Since it's what it's made for and also cheaper.

>>55433063
Well, education purpose is the only one I could think of.

And as an HTPC it would be pretty shit I guess, I'm currently using an HTPC I built in a big tower case with an upgraded Xonar Essence with a dolby decoder addon, separated power supply and EMI shielding.
>>
>>55433127
Why would a device capable of >1920x1080 be shit at 1920x1080 playback? You're literally just looking for reasons to shit on these things just because you're too much of a dumbass to find a use for one.
>>
>>55433127
>Makes more sense to do it with an arduino. Since it's what it's made for and also cheaper.

The RasPI is much more powerful than a mere MC.
But yes, id use a duino for simple stuff.
>>
>>55433143
It would be shit at sound, not the picture. You can't put a good sound into a raspberry. And an HTPC with a bad sound is a shitty HTPC.
>>
>>55433143
because of broadcom
>>
>>55433159
>>55433182
>every SBC is a Raspberry Pi

It's a Creator Ci20
>>
what's the best avr isp programmer?
>>
File: Costanza.pcx.png (2 KB, 650x370) Image search: [Google]
Costanza.pcx.png
2 KB, 650x370
>>55431959
>2018
>Having a computer with different components
>>
File: 86eKa4Y.jpg (22 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
86eKa4Y.jpg
22 KB, 320x240
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>55433665
>>
File: 1458158736303.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1458158736303.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>55432908
build something with a breadboard, fuck with it using your board of choice, assemble and use where needed
>>
>>55431959

I just got a pi zero and it boots to the OS I installed but my keyboard doesn't work?

I know the shit is in the right ports. Also my keyboard is only 40mA
>>
>>55431959
But raspberry pis are overpriced as fuck and generally terrible
>>
>>55432008
this, use the computer you posted this on
>>
>>55434617
Good thing there's dozens of other boards to choose from
>>
>>55434645
i'm saying don't even advertise that shit on the thread because joe redditor the summerfag is going to pile in here and buy one
>>
>>55434665
>because joe redditor the summerfag is going to pile in here and buy one
You say that like making a summerfaggot waste his money wouldn't be a good thing.
>>
>>55434617
t. couldn't get a rpi zero for 5 shekels
>>
>>55434696
oops
>>
>>55432003
ARDUINO UNO R3
>>
>>55432863

at that point just buy an atmega328p chip and build your own board
>>
Ok, i have an idea, tell me if it would be stupid.

I want to try to make a special imageboard(4chan)-esque communication distro that can only be communicated through Orange and Raspberry Pi's. When you install the distro, you get a special ID. You still post anonymously, and it would be only the imageboard, aswell as the ability to gather pictures, pdf's, audio files(ogg, mp3), and webms.

Essentially 4chan, but communicating through Raspi's only.
>>
>>55432003
That assumes assembly is a unified language like C or something. It's not. The correct way to ask that question would be "..... around with its assembly?" As you can see when asked this way the answer is just whichever microcontroller. But say you want to mess around with x86 assembly, than your choices are limited.
>>
>>55435277
like this idea
>>
>>55435277
Literally why?
>>
>>55435277
How my friend?
Sounds like an interesting idea though
>>
>>55435277
That would be sick
>>
>>55435343
Raspi's use special CPU's, right? that could be used as a perfect filter. If not, i figure the hardware has a certain system to identify itself.
>>55435325
Pay2Use filtering. Most adults can blow $20 to get a OrangePi, while trolling austrian kids cannot. This promotes better discussion. Plus, it's more secretive. Take that for what you will. Also, why not
>>
>>55432003
Its old, reliable, has enough documentation and best of all, its clean
>>
>>55435277
>basically a website with an artificial hardware key
The novelty will wear off except for a few autists who take their role in that "community" far too seriously. Posts will trickle in and then somebody will DDoS it until the host gives up. I give it two weeks at the most.
>>
>>55433024
Old phone probably won't run any good OSs on bare metal
Old PC/laptop will get hot without noisy cooling
>>
>>55435389
Congrats you invented somethingawful, but with worse users because they suddenly derive a degree of self importance from owning chinese raspi knockoff that was already for smug hipsters
>>
>>55433084
I have one, booted it off a micro sd card once but then it suddenly overheated and never turned back on again, when hdmi was connected
It does show the kernel output through the uart pins, but it doesn't output any video. It doesn't output anything if the hdmi is connected
Dont buy it mate, it has overheating problems, and 0 support by the manufacturer
>>
>>55433024
I have a Pine64 with Debian. Gonna learn programming and when a new micro sd arrives I'm going to install arch on it. With the arch install I'll trade stocks.
The bottom line is its a very basic computer for today's standards, however when compared to old hardware, it's impressive. When compared to an old pentium 3 pc I have sitting in the corner it's more powerful, silent, less power consumption, triple the storage capacity and just the price of 2 #1's at Wendy's. Quite impressive for around $20
>>
>>55435389
The ssh chan sounds like a good midpoint between doing some weird system of RPI/orangepi only and the shit like this chan.

But good luck anyhow pham.
>>
>>55432955
>That's the problem.

No, your lack of imagination/skill is the problem. Since you have no particular use in mind for this sort of device, it very much is useless to you. For electronics hobbyists and DIYers the list of possible uses is seemingly endless.

I'm currently building a 3D printer (something else that you might consider useless, or a meme), which I plan to control with an Arduino, and interface with a RPi2.

Another project I'm interested in tackling is to create a lo-fi, reprogrammable effects pedal for my bass. As a bassist I don't need all that many effects normally--distortion/fuzz/overdrive, envelope filter, and maybe a wah-wah or chorus pedal--but that doesn't mean that they are not extremely fun to play around with. Even cheap pedals get expensive though, when you start buying dozens of them, and they take up space. See where this is going? A DIY one that can be reprogrammed to handle pretty much anything I might like to mess with will be much cheaper, and create far less clutter. It will also be more fun/challenging than just ordering them. When the novelty of one effect wears off, I can program it to do something else.
>>
Just bought a Pocket Chip, I need to sell my Odroid C1+, doesn't get any use lately.
>>
If I want to make a seed server, which board should I get?
>>
>>55432908
>>
As for me, I can finally teach without hauling a fuckhueg thinkpad.

Just a couple of whiteboard pen, pi3 and wireless mini keyboard
>>
>>55432955
Someone set one up with a motion sensor to make it play the Seinfeld bassline whenever someone walked into the room.
>>
>>55431959
I wished I had a raspberry pi zero. It's too damn expensive due to its meme status
>>
Got my CHIP in the mail yesterday. Using the HDMI shield and it doesn't give out picture. The LEDs light up when I plug the power in. What do?
>>
What do you LADs think of making an SBC with a decent SoC like mtk6752 or SD801?
>>
>>55433084
I have the OrangePi pc. Doing anything even remotely intensive will up your temps, till Linux even forcibly turns off a core to prevent overheating.

Heatsink is a must. Other than that it's a cheap chink board
>>
>>55438031
Heatsinks are cheap, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious, at 1.6ghz, does it perform alright? What distro are you using? What can I do with the pc?
>>
File: image_0.jpg (151 KB, 920x642) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
151 KB, 920x642
>>55435229
Wat
Kys
Arduino is just a board with all the extras to make it shit easy to use. If you want you can program it without the bootloader. The software and hardware do work independently.
>>
File: orangepi.jpg (31 KB, 561x363) Image search: [Google]
orangepi.jpg
31 KB, 561x363
>>55438047
>I'm curious, at 1.6ghz, does it perform alright?
Overheating, again, becomes an issue. Mine is set at 1.2GHz, but I don't trust it at a higher clockspeed.
What distro are you using?
One build by the community, based on Debian.
>What can I do with the pc?
It's not so much a personal computer, rather than a small server.
Currently using mine as a wireless AP.
But I also have an RPi 2 which is a hometheater/fileserver/torrentbox/svn server
>>
File: 2016-07-06_11-35-43.png (12 KB, 594x284) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-06_11-35-43.png
12 KB, 594x284
>>55438156
Hello fellow OrangePi PC person!

Mine is collecting dust right now, can't think of anything to use it for
>>
>>55438167
>Mine is collecting dust right now, can't think of anything to use it for
Mine was also a dust collector for the longest time. Only recently did I come up with a temporary use
>>
>>55438223
I've been using it as a ZNC bouncer most recently, but I stopped IRCing a bit ago.

Before that I used it as a torrent box, while I was off at uni (deluge thin client + deluged on the pi)

Also an interesting fact, you can kinda run a Minecraft server on it. It's not going to be amazingly fast, but it's passable
>>
What do you use for SBC's for?

My raspberry pi is currently hosting a small homepage that allows me to monitor my security cameras through the browser and view news/RSS feeds. I've got it running on a thinkpad X200T touch screen laptop in my kitchen so I can check the news while I make toast
>>
>>55436019
banana pi
>sata
>gbit ethernet
>>
>>55438658
>sata
Why? The average usb 2 speed is higher than the average internet speed.
Agreed on the gigabit ethernet though
>>
>>55431959
Is this thing still unavailable literally everywhere?
>>
>>55439354
Over LAN tho
>>
>>55433024
I've been building a robot with mine. I have a platform with a camera mount and some wheels. That's controlled by an arduino but it also has a pi with win10iot which I'm gonna use the cortana API combined with a mic and speaker to get it to process voice commands. Should be able to get it to respond to a name and tell it what to do.
>>
>>55439498
whereismypizero.com
>>
>>55431959
The chip shows as per order still. How long would it be before you can actually get it in your hands? The raspberry/banana/orange pi are available now.
>>
>>55439854
Mine took about a week to ship to my home in the US
>>
>>55431959
> best microcontroller
Avoid pic, it's insane.

Atmel is great if you want 8bit and simplicity. Big plus is you can get cheap through hole parts. A cheap atmel based arduino is great, because they're so readily available, and the code you write for it can be trivially ported to an attiny.

You don't see many MIPS boards, but a few. MIPS is widely regarded as the easiest/cleanest asm.

There are plenty of ARM boards out there, from tiny boards with 256K of RAM, to quad core SBCs with 4 cores and 2GB of ram.
>>
>>55431959
>I use mine for learning MIPS assembly, I run my software on bare metal instead of in an emulator.

Wait. What? Which board is MIPS? I want.
>>
I'm waiting for an SBC that will run dreamcast emulators fullspeed
>>
>>55431959
mini chink pc + usb solid relay = profit
>>
I've got Raspberry Pi 2 with OpenElec installed. I use it on my livingroom for iptv and media center.

Should I install Ubuntu Mate instead of OpenElec?
>>
>>55433159
You ain't so bright, hu?

Binary is binary, and doesn't care about what's sending it. A pi and a brand new i7 sending the same sound down the wire will sound the same.

Your HTPC should be outputting over HDMI. Assuming you're not doing anything stupid, it should be sending the pre-encoded binary steam that's already part of the media, and pass it straight along the HDMI to the TV/receiver. All of the processing is done on the TV/receiver. It can do transcoding of the audio before passing it on, but it should only be doing that if the other end doesn't support the format. Even if it does that, the DAC on the pi wont be used. It sends a digital signal over HDMI to the receiving end.
>>
>>55440061
I'm waiting for a DC emulator for Linux that isn't shit
>>
>>55440119
reicast seemed fine last time I tried it, it just struggles to run most games fullspeed on the pi3
>>
Hi /g/, i want to make digital clock with Led or e-ink screen display and time with time synchro over wifi, what would you use for it? I've played with avr uc and raspberry. The former is a nuisance for wifi, the latter seems like an overkill.
>>
>>55440171
esp8266
>>
>>55432908
I use mine as a solar powered Mumble/git/sftp server
>>
If I want to make an retoemulator vidya machine, is raspberry pi 2 b enough to emulate ps2 ?
I want some smooth play
Is pi 3 better for that ?
Is gonna run bad on all and is better to buy a pi 2 b because it run psx emulator well anyway ?
I'm so lost and new in boards
Advices ?
>>
>>55433024
Media center for my dumb pc. It's bretty gud.
Also planning on making a smart mirror for shits and giggles.
>>
>>55440236
>ps 2
>pi

forget it
>>
>>55440236
>Advices ?
learn english
>>
I plan to buy rpi3 and put all sorts of servers on it (basically i want to learn server side of IT world), is there anything rpi3 can't do when it comes to this?
>>
>>55440249
>what is a chromecast
>>
>>55440171
There are plenty of Rpi tutorials and ready-made software for a smart alarm clock. Just google it mate. I would make it a sunrise clock too by IO control on a led strip. Could even get a RGB led strip and make it go from red to blue light with increasing brightness.

I was planning on doing it, but due to moving the need for a smart alarm clock that connects to train table API was no longer necessary.
>>
>>55440289
A more expensive, less versatile and closed source botnet?
>>
>>55440299
>more expensive
It's cheaper than a bare Pi, not even including having to buy accessories
>less versatile
It's as versatile as whatever devices you have to cast with
>botnet
Le botnet XD
>>
>>55431959
can those things run forever with some batteries and solar panel?
>>
>>55435277
ssh [email protected]
password : ein
>>
>>55440342
yes, but if you plug it into the mains it only costs around £5 a year running 24/7

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18043
>>
>>55440328
> It's cheaper than a bare Pi
It's exactly the same: Chromecast 39EUR/ Rpi3 38 EUR with the Rpi having both more powerful hardware and software (full OS).
> not even including having to buy accessories
True, but more versatility comes at a cost.
> It's as versatile as whatever devices you have to cast with
This argument counters itself, that's how stupid it is. RPi's versatility is that it can be much much more than just a media center. Even as a media center it is more flexible in OS choice, functionality and devices you stream from (you can't stream from NAS to Chromecast for instance). The Chromecast is good value, but the RPi is even better if you're willing to spend 10 minutes of set-up.
> Le botnet XD
Enjoy being datamined and sold.
>>
Problematic issue with SBC Part 1 - Orange Pi
http://www.s-config.com/orange-pi-needs-to-go-back-into-the-oven/

>Sata Chip
It's actually garbage USB-SATA chip.
The Orange Pi Plus 2 suffers from the same anemic chip-set bandwidth problems that the Banana Pi M3 does with transfer rates only being around 14MB/sec

>Orange Pi gets stupid hot!
To the point where it starts shutting down cores in order to keep it from locking up
But on both my Raspberry and Banana Pi I was running a lot of stuff on them and the worst that happens is they get warm . So that’s why I can’t excuse the OrangePi for its burning chips.

>USB just to power your most basic devices on the Orange Pi is practically non-existent.
But as I discovered even plugging in a keyboard rated at 80mA is enough to shut down to the USB port. Unbelievable! I have to actually use a powered USB hub in order to use the thing!

>Lets talk about Orange Pi’s software for a moment:
When it comes down to Orange Pi as a company their lack of communication and the company made images of the Orange Pi are just about laughable. Their version of Raspbian is just a made of BananaPi with their mods attached to it in a very poor manner. And with Sound not working and crippled video. It leaves the options rather limited for what you can do with the Orange Pi in terms of game development.

>tfw dodged a bullet
>>
Problematic issue with SBC Part 2 - Banana Pi M3
http://www.s-config.com/banana-pi-m3-walk-away/

>Processor burning problems.
Just like the Orange-Pi. The A83 OctaCore processor heats up rather quickly and begins to almost immediately throttle itself downward to 1.2Ghz and even turning off 4 cores right away! At this point of the game I minus well just buy a Raspberry Pi 3 because then I at least will have good support to go with my slow processor! Even with adding a heat sink and fan can I barely get it running at full speed underneath the android images out there.

>SATA problems.
They used a GL830 USB-to-SATA bridge instead of simply finding another ARM based CPU with SATA support built in.
The end results are pathetic to say the least. I am getting results similar to the Ambian Forums where I am only getting about 12Mb/sec instead of 130+ like on my original Banana Pi

>The Banana Pi Forums.
While checking out each and every one of these problems mentioned in this blog on their forums. There was many threads talking about all of the problems above. With every thread I encountered some very brutal replies from the Banana Pi Team. Telling people to shut up and support them or go away. Well Banana Pi Team this site used to support you. But after this disaster you’re fired.

Problematic issue with SBC Part 3 - Pine A64

The hardware is so similar the problems mirror to that of my Orange Pi blog with SD card issues, troubleshooting board failure, bad loads, and heat problems.

>tfw dogged another bullet
>>
>>55440673
>>55440727
>s-config
why are you shilling such a shitty site?
>>
>>55440753
I'm just looking for issue with any SBC, so I don't get buyer's remorse.

The SATA problem is true though :

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=286
>>
>>55432955
The latest raspberry pi works great for movies and shit.
>>
I didn't want to fill up the board with another thread so I'll ask here.

How easy would it be for someone who has no background in engineering to build one of those homebrew computers that run on 68000's?

I've seen some that can even run Linux.
>>
>>55440996
Except for 1080p HVEC even OC'd. More and more uploaders are encoding in HVEC, One more RPi iteration and we're good though.
>>
Need a simple computer to store an audio file and play it to an aux cord. Can I use any of the raspberry pi's?
>>
>>55442705
you can use all of the raspberry pi's
>>
File: 1467225161141.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1467225161141.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>55433024

I have mine set up as low-power external servers for torrenting and file servers for music and media. I did this because I realized that doing these things off my desktop cost me $30/month in electricity alone, meaning the thing pays for itself within six weeks. I also do shit like robotics tinkering and retro gaymen emulation with it, but those haven't turned out to be my main uses.
>>
>>55441522

h.265 isn't supported on current boards; h.264 only works because the board has dedicated circuitry for it. I've never had issues with this; pretty much everything is available in 264 and in the odd case that only 265 was available, you could just transcode at your end with another computer. Even the rpi will do it within an hour or so depending on the filesize.
>>
Fucking raspberry once again ate my kingston microsd. Within last few years I've gotten like 10 corrupted cards. I always do a clean shutdown and I have the raspb battery protected so its not even failing due to outages.

Im so effed up for raspberrys shortages: no onboard rom, limited usb bandwidth which is shared with 100M ethernet, 3.5mm jack being shitty. Why raspberry has the momentum, I dont get it. And Ive owned three raspberries: next one I'm getting will not be a cuck product.
>>
>>55442727
thanks, i bought one.
>>
>>55443231

don't boot from the card m8
>>
>>55443231
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean

FUCKING MAGIK FIGZED
>>
>>55435229
If you don't buy hundred thousand of them, one chip will cost you more than Arduino clone.
>>
>>55440114
I went to osmc from Openelec.
Openelec locks down the OS to impossible levels, while the pi2 has power to spare for other roles
>>
>>55444140
you can buy atmega328p clone for 0.50p
>>
>>55440897
The overheating problem with the orangepi is true.
However, keep in mind that you get what you pay for.
The orangepi pc sells for 15 bucks. You can't possibly imagine getting a top tier SBC that could replace your desktop.
That and it's chinktech
>>
>>55434707
they're available again

just ordered one
shipping doubled the price though
>>
does anyone have an orange pi? what do you use it for?
>>
>>55435312
Allow me to interject
>>
>>>55443231
>Fucking raspberry once again ate my kingston microsd. Within last few years I've gotten like 10 corrupted cards

That's fucked up.
I thought raspberry microsd card corruption was just a meme, but it looked like thousand of people had the same problem too.

Have you tried using read-only /boot ?
The USB Flash Drives are more resilient than the tiny SD cards. Still it more than likely bad power supply or overclocking.

Other people recommend you to turn off swap
>1 GB RAM
>turn off swap
>>
>>55446768
>swap turned on on a fucking sd card

are people actually that retarded?
>>
>>55432908
I made my Arduino read my memory use and CPU use to me every second, as if task monitor was on.

It's kind of nice to see how my computer deals with various programs.
>>
>>55438156
>>55438167
These $15 computers good enough for a HTCP?

1080p h264 videos, and a few 1080p or 720p h265
>>
>>55446802
Meh, I turned on 1 GB swap on my extrooted openwrt router with 64 GB sd card because my router only has very little memory (32 MB).

I've never experienced corrupted sd card, probably because openwrt has done a good job of making /tmp/ as ramdisk, and let all write operation by default to that area.
>>
>>55446802
the default raspbian is configured to use a swapfile
>>
>>55445848
Using it as wireless access point
Don't have any other use for it currently

>>55446939
I don't recommend it

If purely for HTPC, it's better if you get a Rpi2
Costs double the amount, but less headaches. And you have prebuilt images with everything you need to get started
>>
>As the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a conventional BIOS, the various system configuration parameters that would normally be kept and set using the BIOS are now stored in a text file named "config.txt".

>raspberry PI
>doesn't even have BIOS
for what reason ?
>>
>>55447398
because it's a smartphone chip
>>
>>55447469

wew, enough /g/ for this week for me now.
>>
is there a way to run mpv without a gui or a window manager? I think i'm just going to use arch and tmux and hook it up to my tv
>>
if i install netbsd on a rpi can i still access the GPIO pins using C?
>>
>>55447469
God fucking dammit.

So we can't even boot directly from USB because of this shit.
Yes I know you can change boot.txt to boot to /dev/sda1, but you still boot from sd card first.

Another question, why don't they give 2 GB RAM option ?
>>
>>55447617
why do you want to install netbsd if you can't even read their port page?
>>
>>55447660
well i read the manpages and saw that it did have a GPIO driver, what i wonder is how easy it is to interact with, i've never done anything like this
>>
>>55447113
Really? I have heatsinks at home so heat isn't an issue.

Is it performance? That $15 price tag makes it very tempting compared to the competition, considering it's a quad core too
>>
>>55447703
The heat is indeed also an issue, but not the primary issue

The GPU is not very well supported. It's drivers are closed source, making it nearly impossible to make anything compatible with it.
Kodi for example can't run on it fluently because of this.
>>
>>55447685
it's a foss world, just look at how they're doing it
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/usr.sbin/gpioctl/gpioctl.c?rev=1.23&content-type=text/plain&only_with_tag=MAIN
>>
What's the best camera for computer vision applications on the rpi 3? Also is there much benefit to using a camera that plugs directly into the board vs a standard USB cam?
>>
Cheapest SBC for playing videos to a TV?
>>
>>55431959
Always wondered can I put my qbittorent/plex server on this thing instead of my actual computer? how will I go about that
>>
>>55447769
thanks, i'll have a look around
>>
Is it possible to install openbsd on the RPi3?
>>
>>55432003
Both the 8051 and MSP430 are widely used in education. I loved writing 8051 assembly and I learned a ton. I mention the MSP430 because TI launchpads are cheap, and can be programmed to do all kinds of cool things in assembly or C. The C programming is so low-level that a lot of the code looks like assembly.
>>
>>55447937
Some devs are looking at getting it to work on there, I think.

As for right now, no, it's not possible.
>>
>>55432003
Arduino
>>
Why aren't these threads more common?
>>
>>55431959
what does this CHIP thing run on? it says "R8", that doesn't tell me enough
>>
>>55448290
On my huge dick bro
>>
>>55448044
Thanks for the reply i was looking into it deeper and some did get it to install but there is not but its not confirmed
>>
>>55446802
Unless you're constantly running jobs that are significantly larger than available RAM, it won't kill an SD card for a long time. How long it takes to kill it is probably also affected by the quality of the SD card, but I've never been bored enough to try a comparative-to-the-death SD card swap experiment....

Maybe I'll set one up in a few weeks.
>>
>>55447652
Both answers are maddeningly the same: because it's a SoC. System On a Chip.

The memory controller is only designed to handle the on chip RAM, and has no provisions for using external RAM. Literally, when they want another size, they have to refab.

The boot process on these is much simpler, and hard-coded for reading data from a specific interface & I think address. Since this was designed for embedded use, they saw no point to wiring and testing the code to load from different devices.
>>
File: IMG_20160706_222404060.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_222404060.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
Got my pocket chip. What now /g/?
>>
>>55450626
P L A Y G A E M S
L
A
Y

G
A
E
M
S
>>
>>55450626
install $distro
then do something about that keyboard
>>
>>55437128

pics, info.....

my grandparents would love that
>>
>>55450626
Rip apart a gameboy to make a case for it, slap on an apple iie emulator running lemonade stand, then shitpost from it about how modern games suck.
>>
>>55431959

can any single board properly play 10-bit HEVC?
>>
>>55450680
you literally just write a tiny python program that polls a sensor hooked up to the GPIO pins and runs "play seinfield.wav" (install sox)
it's not hard in the slightest

making the device look presentable to show to your family instead of it resembling an IED is another story
>>
>>55447604
It is a Creator Ci20.
>>
File: LattePanda.gif (140 KB, 640x1771) Image search: [Google]
LattePanda.gif
140 KB, 640x1771
>LattePanda
>x86 SBC
>quad-core 1.8Ghz, 2/4G RAM, 32/64 GB eMMC, WIFI, Bluetooth 4.0 and USB 3.0, plus onboard Arduino processor
>$69

What do you think ?
Too expensive ?
>>
>>55451575
That's a pretty reasonable price, but
>onboard atmega
>eMMC
>quad coar
for what purpose? It might be badly assembled chinese shopping that breaks next year.
>>
>>55451664
idk, I'm just looking for x86 SBC, find info about JaguarBoard then someone claims that LattePanda is better.

What I want :
>At least 2-4 GB RAM
>BIOS / UEFI
>Onboard storage so it doesn't corrupt my SD card on boot
>No need for additional heatsink, I don't need more noise.
>No overheating problem
>Bonus point if it can runs Windows
>>
>>55451575
>intel me botnet
No thanks siree
>>
>buy rasberry pi
>dick around with it for a few weeks
>get it to boot different shit, do a few little projects with it
>use it as a mail server, realize how neckbeard that is and go back to using real email
>realize nothing of use can be done with it
>stick it back in box, put in closet

thanks /g/
>>
>>55451988
>blaming /g/ for your lack of creativity and ingenuity
classic
>>
>>55431959
How do you go about writing a hardware accelerated renderer for the pi zero?
>>
>>55446899
Whoa how did you do that? That sounds awesome
>>
>>55451988
>Nothing of use
>Your lack of creativity is others faults.
>>
>>55453241
you have 60 seconds to show me all your creative projects
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.