[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Anti-Virus Software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: HI-virion-structure_en.svg.png (619 KB, 2000x1535) Image search: [Google]
HI-virion-structure_en.svg.png
619 KB, 2000x1535
Is there a consensus on what the best anti-virus software ist?

>inb4 common sense
>>
In during Common Sense
Common Sense
>>
Common Sense
>>
>>55431248
What OS?
>>
>>55431348
oh yeah, windows in this instance. forgot mentioning that.
>>
File: 1457160784616.jpg (110 KB, 536x648) Image search: [Google]
1457160784616.jpg
110 KB, 536x648
>>55431374
Common sense will not be of use then due to pic related
>>
>>55431391
I am not going to engage in this discussion. However I will use this post as a bump.
>>
Malwarebytes
Adwcleaner
>>
>>55431248
Using something other than windows
>>
>>55431248
GNU/Linux
>>
nod32 is legit
>>
>>55431628
I just ran malwarebytes through my computer. Is it the all in one solution, or would I need anything else to work in tandem with that?
>>
>>55431689
...AdwCleaner
>>
>>55431707
wasn't sure how >>55431628 was intended.
>>
File: 1393261678186.png (188 KB, 298x273) Image search: [Google]
1393261678186.png
188 KB, 298x273
>XD COMMON SENSE
okay how about what antivirus should i give my normie friends/the vast majority of the population who doesn't want to switch to loonix

stop sniffing stallman's taint for five fucking seconds, you pretentious cunts. jesus christ
>>
well since I got an answer that halfway satisfied me and we probably won't ever have a reasonable discussion about OP on here I'd like to pose an argument:

So if all the smart people use linux, and the smart people think they have something to hide (and sometimes do) wouldn't a real smart hacker try to break into linux systems specifically?

If that is true wouldn't it be actually smarter to blend into the mass of the ones not blessed with common sense and using windows?
>>
>>55431248
>on windows 7 since release
>no AV
>UAC completely off, run everything as admin all the time
>never been infected
feels good, man
>>
>>55432077
I'd share your sentiment, However I fell into the trap of installing Windows 10, which is actually reasonably similar to Win7, but just now an application in my appdata folder turned up out of nowhere and wanted to install something yahoo related. I haven't installed anything today or yesterday. Most recent install was MP3tag. So that sort of spooked me and I grabbed the first thing that came to mind which was Malwarebytes. Got AdwCleaner to run a scan too after that. But now I feel unsafe.
>>
>>55431917
if you're already part of the botnet MSE is fine:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download
>>
File: whitehat.png (446 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
whitehat.png
446 KB, 640x360
>>55432221
>MSE
that's what i've been recommending to everyone anyway
>>
>>55431248
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
File: HAW.jpg (34 KB, 348x308) Image search: [Google]
HAW.jpg
34 KB, 348x308
>>55433059
because no hacker in their right mind would actually bother targeting 5% of all pcs
>>
Active Scanning in order of goodness:
BitDefender
Avira
Avast
AVG

One-time AV scanners:
Malware Bytes
RogueKiller

Adware Scanners:
ADW Cleaner
Junkware Removal Tool

System Repair Utility:
Tweaking.com
>>
>>55435516
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55431248
Common Sense tbqh famalama
>>
Well just use mallard bytes the pre installed windows defender and just basic understanding not to download and open shit
>>
>>55431917
tell them to install osx
>>
>>55435516
>avira
>good

Nigger it launches nag windows to the point where you have to run a third party tool to squelch them.

AVG generates so many false positives that make it worthless.
>>
Windows Defender if you're not retarded/scared of botnet

Avira if free

Kaspersky if paid (Unquestionably the best)

Or

BitDefender if scared of Russian botnet
>>
>>55431248
The Windows Defender or whatever it's called that comes with Windows is all you will ever need, just don't click every ad that promises a free iPad or some shit.

Seriously all I use on Windows is that shit that comes with it the Windows Defender I think it's called. Actually I don't even know if it's still running or if I still have it, fuck security lol. And on Linux I don't use anything. You don't need security, it's a meme, just don't download obvious malware.
>>
>>55431445
You don't need an antivirus, just use an adblocker with your web browser (ideally ublock origin with firefox, check the /g/ wiki) and don't click on shady links and stuff

I've got a windows partition that hasn't been updated since 2013 and it's still running okay to this day with no av
>>
>>55433540
Linux and BSD are truly secure then
>>
>>everyone in this thread
>>implying linux is malware or virus proof
>>implying
the fact that you have an internet connection, or even input ports, means your system isn't immune to jack pure and simple. I see all of you as festering hives of infection, much like my mother's laptop when I visit for the holidays and she complains that something isn't working and I turn it on to see a thousand plus third party freeware programs. I just puked. Common sense doesn't protect you either.
>>
bitdefender is fine
>>
>>55436872
>the fact that you have an internet connection, or even input ports, means your system isn't immune to jack pure and simple
That doesn't mean anything if they aren't in your network.
>>
>>55436131
This.
I remember having my HDD nuked because avira couldn't detect a fucking IRC botnet.
>>
Install Linux and put Windows in a VM. If you fuck up windows, restore previous snapshot. For fucks sake.
>>
>>55431917
You shouldn't be 'helping' your normie friends to begin with. Let them get cryptolocked so you can say 'Stallman told you so'.
>>
>>55431248
> inb4ing your own post
common sense
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.