[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I go study Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: OLlb8JB.jpg (825 KB, 2048x1438) Image search: [Google]
OLlb8JB.jpg
825 KB, 2048x1438
Should I go study Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering?
>>
>>55430824
Do Electrical Engineering and then go back and do Software Engineering
>>
>>55430824
Gender studies
>>
>>55430824
>it's a daily undergrad blog thread
You should study suicide
>>
Please, anyone?
I have to make an urgent decision.
I really like anything tech related, and I don't want to make the wrong call.
>>
what do you want to do?

What is your academic capacity?
>>
I am interested in this too
>>
>>55432807

>I Want to Work in....
>cushy office environment
CS / SE
>stressful office environment / industrial setting
EE

>I Want to Earn....
>A guaranteed decent income anywhere in the world, potentially a lot
EE / SE
>Probably less than the above but potentially much more
CS

>I am....
>Really smart with physical sciences
EE
>Really smart with physical sciences and computing
SE
>Really smart with computing
CS
>>
Chemical Engineering if you aren't retarded.
>>
I want into semmiconductors and cee pee joos

Which should i pick??
>>
>>55432902

More like

>I'm really fucking smart
EE
>I'm not good enough for engineering
SE/CS

I can only speak for CS, but I assume SE is pretty much the same. I chose CS because I knew engineering was above my level.
>>
>>55432902
>>Really smart with physical sciences and computing
>SE
If by SE you mean systems engineering
>>
>>55432902
>>Really smart with physical sciences and computing
>SE
SE in my uni just learn UML and idk what else but having them in a programming project is brutal. One of them convinced me that double precision has "two decimal places"
>>
tried to convince me*
>>
File: 1462517748804.jpg (116 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1462517748804.jpg
116 KB, 469x469
>>55430824
>tfw I fell for the CE meme
>>
File: 1461977600094.png (1 MB, 1358x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461977600094.png
1 MB, 1358x1080
>>55433171
>lose out on software jobs to CS majors
>lose out on hardware jobs to EE majors
hold me
>>
Can someone who is dumb do STEM based degrees?
>>
File: 1461356674809.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1461356674809.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>55433247
>>
>>55433225
Is this legit? I'm studying CE right now and it's not too late to switch. CS OR EE?
>>
>>55433737
Don't pick your major over shit people say on /g/. Talk to a faculty member about your career goals and pick the major that facilitates them the best. Honestly I think EE gives you the most benefit, but I'm not even a computer scientist so take that with a grain of salt.
>>
will EE help me develop solar based energy devices?

also can I develop machines that are powered by gravity (like clocks)?
>>
>>55432803
I want to create and design programs and systems, learn the low-level basics of a computer (hardware, OS) learn about information security related subjects, etc.

My academic capacity is decent enough for whichever.
>>
>>55433935
You should do Computer Engineering if you wanna learn about hardware and software. If that's not an option then it sounds like you're leaning towards CS
>>
>>55430824
Software Engineering
>>
>>55433935
>>55434237
This, I study computer engineering in my last semester.

If you go to a good school, prepare to get your ass kicked. Fail rate is way higher than CS.

Only study computer engineering if you have a big interest in hardware and circuit physics. You will rarely touch anything like python and instead you will learn more about assembly and VHDL.
>>
>>55435150
there's not computer engineering in my college.
It's EE a good alternative?
>>
>>55430824
EE. Anything else is literally a meme.
>>
>>55435185
EE isn't really that good if you want to focus on computers, and is pretty fucking dry unless you really geek out about circuits and solid state physics.
I'd just go CS or software eng. EE pays less too and is less in demand.

The advantage with computer engineering degrees is how versatile they are.
It will satisfy software engineering, IT, and hardware employers. Anything computers, really.
>>
>>55435224
I want to learn about designing electrical machines, so EE is good for me.
>>
God tier
>EE
Decent tier
>CE
Shite tier
Everything else
>>
>not doing CSE

plebs in this thread baka
>>
>>55434237
He literally said basics of hardware. Seems like you were waiting to just shill your meme degree. Hardware is boring. OP, go for software engineer if you want practical stuff, cs if you want more theoretical stuff.
>>
>>55433935
If you're in a seriously good uni, IT will cover all of that.
>>
>>55430824
Go into gender studies if you're hoping to get a job.
>>
>>55435236
Look into EE with an emphasis in computer hardware. It is harder than CS tho
>>
>>55430824
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/bachelor-of-applied-information-sciences-information-systems-security/courses

I am going to be taking this course in the fall this year, can any anons recommend any reading material to help me out? So far i got cissp,ccna.comptia exam prep books with study guides , and some infosec book. Is this the right direction or am i totally off.
>>
>>55436163
CISSP requires years of experience.
>>
I personally hated all of them, having taken classes in all those areas I can tell you that if you love programing do computer science and if you know a thing or two about electronics and are good at math do electrical.
>>
>>55436163
Why do you think you're ready when you haven't even installed gentoo?
>>
>>55430824
Women's Studies of course
>>
File: 1449955484372.png (84 KB, 245x316) Image search: [Google]
1449955484372.png
84 KB, 245x316
>>55430824
>asking /g/ for important life advice
>thinking that you can just choose a major because muh jobs and /g/ said so
Anon just stick to IT, you're obviously slow.
>>
>Computer Science
Great if you want to be a NEET
>Software Engineering
Basically "applied" computer science.
>Electrical Engineering
A position of respect. Comes with billions of dicks in your mouth.
>>
>>55436232
>>55436187
well hell to the beans if i know, this is why i ask.
>>
I've actually narrowed my choices to this exact three. Academically I have had trouble with mathematics but I've accelled in science like physics. Is EE right for me? What do they do?

I also want to program though but I feel that I would be overwhelmed working with other people on the same project.
>>
>>55436344
You cant do any of these without being decent at math. They all require a good amount of math. Study your butt off if you have the summer off. Follow what comes naturally
>>
>>55436373
I'm not retarded when it comes to math, I just can't find myself to put in the effort studying. I find when I do make myself study I do well enough. I took advanced math courses in high school.
>>
>>55436252
What's wrong with asking?
It's not like I'm going to base my decision SOLELY on what /g/ says.
>>
File: 1456102183766-0-r.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1456102183766-0-r.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>55430824
Fell for the EE meme.
>>
>>55432923
thread should have ended here
>>
>>55436484
I've learned from shitposting lessons that this means he is enjoying the major and he is trying to scare others off to improve is own job prospects.
>>
File: 0054 - vkRsjGU.jpg (17 KB, 364x350) Image search: [Google]
0054 - vkRsjGU.jpg
17 KB, 364x350
>tfw you're only smart enough for IT stuff
job security is good but it'll be a while till I get something with great pay.
>>
>>55432797
>I really like anything tech related, and I don't want to make the wrong call.
Do what I did, do CE and CS.
>>
>>55433737
>>55433225
>>55433171
Maybe for your first job it might be but once you have a work history, in my experience, no one gives a shit about your degree.
>>
>>55430824

>Electrical Engineering

-"I try to make my own robot that can sense other people via infrared"
-"theoretical stuff is OK, but every now and then I need to feel some cables in my hands"
-"let me fix that tv for you"

>Computer Science

-"the chipset architecture of this robot is very intersting"
-"I love ot do theoretical stuff, why would I ever use my hands?"
-"let me optimize and fix that schedule for you"

>Software Engineering

-"I made the software for this robot"
-"theoretical stuff is boring, I want working software"
-"let me fix that website for you"
>>
>>55432807
Anyone a dsp engineer here? I heard its harder than ee
>>
>>55430824
EE>CS>SE.

EE and CS are interchangeable or even mergeable(CE) and it depends on what you want to do, EE focus more on hardware and reality while CS will have a more abstract approach.

SE is just if you want to write software that just werks while knowing nothing about why and how it works let alone low level stuff and all you ever want to do is making enterprise software.
>>
EE: gets you mad respect from employers cause its hard as fuck; downside is that it's hard as fuck. Don't expect to even pass your classes unless you study for 4+ hours every night after class and on weekends.

CS/SE: basically these two are the same thing nigga, nobody cares if you have one or the other as long as you got good grades cause they're not that hard, they just want to know you have a background in working with computers and can do the required professional stuff like writing formal reports and shit.

If you want to go into something dealing with hardware you'll probably have to have an EE degree. And if you want to go into something to do with software/information, CS/SE are good but EE will get you more respect even though it has less to do with the job desu.

If you do go into software stuff I'd recommend you try to get into a sysadmin, database management or infosec position, they're the only positions that companies can't afford to send overseas... Most application programming nowadays is done by patel over in india.
>>
>>55433935
This pretty much sounds like my 1st year at uni doing CS.
These are all pretty much stuff covered by any IT related course that wasnt made to produce pajeets on a production line(SE).
>>
>>55440653

signal processing is fun as hell. it's something you can get a lot of hands on experience with as it crosses a lot of domains. i don't know how you can say something is "harder" though, as difficulty is a function of familiarity.
>>
>>55441047
>difficulty is a function of familiarity.

this is a good concept. whenever i reflect on shit i found took a bit of effort to get my head around or learn, it seems kind of hard to really believe. everything feels simple in retrospect.
>>
>>55430824
Electrical Engineering with a Specialty on Computers ( You get all "basic" programing languages)
>>
>all of these salty EE fags
I'm not even saying EE isn't harder than CS, at least in some respects (actually understanding the formulas you're using - not just using them - is hard, although maybe I'm biased because EE has a lot of calculus and I prefer algebra), but all these fags pretending CS is easy/not respected/some other meme are so laughable.
>>
It doesn't matter. Degrees are just there to get past HR filters. What actually gets you the job and helps you keep it are skills you teach yourself outside of school.
>>
>>55432923
i'm about to enter that career. Any tips or recommendations?
>>
>>55440277
Guy you're alright
>>
>>55430958
This guy.

In EE you'll learn some basic real Physics and Maths which can be used anywhere.
SE is doomed to unemployement sooner or later.
>>
>>55432797
Mathematics minor and CE
>>
>>55430958
>>55432902
>>55433064
/thread
>>
Electrical and/or computer engineering. You will be making the tech for all the plebs here.
>>
Don't do Software Engineering. Well, you can, I just don't think it's a good idea as I hate UML.

Electrical Engineering if you're interested in creating all types of electronics. Good base rate of pay. Opens up a lot of options for employment that doesn't necessarily involve computers (most electronics do however).

Computer Engineers usually have a decent based rate of pay for 1st year graduates (if you can find a job). Designing and building hardware systems, quite interesting.

As with most engineering degrees, they are not easy if you are not good at mathematics. If you have a strong understanding of mathematics then do an engineering degree. If you are shit at mathematics and want to do an engineering degree, study and git gud before you start.

Computer Science is good, but a lot of undergrads are doing this degree, so you wanna make sure you're getting distinctions-high distinctions in the units that count. Something I fucked up in my 1st semester.
It's important to note as well, you probably want to go back and do a postgrad later on for this when you got a bit more bank due to there being so many people coming out with this degree.

Personally, I chose a bachelor of Computer Science with a major in Cyber Security. This was mostly due to that's where my interests were, I wanted to develop systems but have the ability to make them as secure as I could, as well as getting paid to make orangisations more secure. I have some interesting units that make studying and learning worth-while.
I do plan to do a mathematics minor accompanying this degree, as mathematics has wide application, ultimately as well I might decide to go back and do a electrical engineering degree as I circuitry is a hobby of mine.

Most important thing is, get good results, get a decent paying job to get you through most of your 20s, don't get married whatever you fucking do as it's a scam, they will take all your money. Then kill yourself before you get too old.
>>
>>55443767
Don't worry about being a SE man, forced OO and UML is dying out, but people are hanging on.
Also cheer the fuck up and girls are fun.
>>
>>55430958
how does Computer Engineering stack up against EE job prospects? I'm currently a senior CpE but i have an option to do EE or CpE for masters
>>
>>55447327
If it's anything like at my university Comp. Eng. is MUCH better in terms of job prospects as it's a very general subject. If you want to do hardware, you can simply major in embedded systems and still get plenty of software experience. EE on the other hand is mostly hardware regardless of how you chose to specialize, meaning that compared to doing Comp. Eng. with a major in embedded systems you don't have the same ability to fall back on writing software if you can't find a job designing hardware.
>>
>>55447442
Really? I thought EE was broader
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.