[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to learn Linux where can I get some good tutorials?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1354978242155.png (82 KB, 278x295) Image search: [Google]
1354978242155.png
82 KB, 278x295
I'm trying to learn Linux where can I get some good tutorials?
Pls no bully.
>>
>>55429631
To learn the Terminal go to codecademy.com for lessons
>>
>>55429631

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55429989
KYS, you pedantic faggot.
>>
>>55429977
Ty senpai. I saw a few videos by Nixie pixel I'll try those first then code academy.
>>55429989
This is probably my favourite pasta
>>
File: 1371100202124.gif (499 KB, 498x286) Image search: [Google]
1371100202124.gif
499 KB, 498x286
>>55429631
Learning by doing. Try to fix every little error you find. no matter how minor it seems. after a while you get a better grip than any textbook ever would give you.
>>
>>55430021
Is this bait?
>>
>>55430053
>textbook
I was just gonna find video and online written Tut's.
This is to help me with my field of study, it's mostly for fun desu. It's not needed.
>>
>>55430032

i have it as an alias in bashrc

>>55430021

GNO
>>
linuxjourney.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>55430098
Ok but learning by doing is still the best option. So try finding errors that bothers you and Google the answers and just follow the instructioms step by step. After a while the googelings will be less frequent and you will figure the answers out yourself I promise
>>
>>55430142
Looks comfy ty senpai
>>
>>55430176
Once I'm past beginner level maybe.
I'm not much of a programmer, but I do study in a tech related field so it'll be useful.
>>
>>55429631
Look on Linux Academy (www.linuxacademy.com). They can help you to learn how to use various parts of Linux, such as using it as a server, or using it for networking purposes. They have guidance in earning certifications, and their tutorials are well written so that they work on your time.
>>
>>55430319
>$9
Im not looking for a job with Linux I'm learning it to help me understand how hardware really works, network topologies etc. Iaint paying for muh freedoms.
>>
>>55430539
Network topologies are pretty simple, check out the Microsoft Virtual Academy MTA Network Fundamentals for educators. I learned a lot from it.

I learned Linux from using it mostly. At a 13 I watched Hackers and thought it was the coolest shit ever. Installed Ubuntu when I was like 14. Learned from just using the system. Then installed Gentoo and LFS and learned even more. Now I'm extremely comfortable with the CLI. I don't know a ton of commands by heart but I can maintain and manage my system no problem. Maybe try doing an arch install in a VM. Make sure you really understand each step. Then play with the system. Try a bunch of different DE's, compile a kernel, build a package from source, etc.
>>
>>55430762
Oh, spend time in a few of the IRC channels as well. Find one where people are asking questions that you understand. If you go to an arch room you'll probably be lost. Just seeing common issues and how they're resolved will help. Start helping people when you feel comfortable, may seem like a waste of time but you'll actually be helping yourself.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.