[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How well should you know a language to put it on your CV?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: 15090961835_c4f26e4890_b.jpg (197 KB, 949x652) Image search: [Google]
15090961835_c4f26e4890_b.jpg
197 KB, 949x652
How well should you know a language to put it on your CV?
>>
>>55425867
You should spend about 3 months with it working on a semi-large project
>>
enough to be able to bluff in an interview.
>>
>>55425867
I just put the most common ones like Java, C++, Python, Javascript, etc, and any mentioned in the job description, even if I don't know them. I can always learn them later if I get the job.
>>
>>55425867
Unless you think you might to prove you handle that language, put it there. No need to be honest here.
>>
>>55425867
You need to be able to correctly write the language's name
>>
>>55425882
>>55425885
>>55425892
pajeet pls
>>
>>55425867
I'm a tech interviewer. I entirely ignore the languages that people put on their CVs and only focus on the language they consider their primary.

I'd love to do an interview in whatever language I want from their list, but people add shit they've written Hello World in so it would only be fun in a sadistic sense.
>>
>>55425898
There's a reason Pajeets are taking your jobs.

But I guess there's merit in being unemployed but honest.
>>
>>55425895
I know JAVA-SCRIPT, C-#, C-++, JAVA, se, seplesples, sesarp, Goy, rush, assembler and MySequel, exemel, Dolphin

Do I get the job?
>>
>>55425867
who the fuck was the fucking asshole who put that logo in JS ?
>>
>>55425881
define "semi-large project"
>>
>>55426278
hello world
>>
>>55425881
>tfw I don't know any language then kek
>>
>>55426278
>10k lines
>>
>>55426278
FizzBuzz
>>
>>55425915
>I'm a tech interviewer
Do you immediately dismiss people who only know one language, like half the Haskell-fags on this board?
>>
>>55425867
You don't need to be able to just write a program straight off the bat. In large companies their not going to just require u to write shit straight off the bat. They will assign you to defect fixing first, get used to the program, then you develop. Sometimes development is easier than defect fixing as you have to know what the program should do rather than how to make it do it. You learn slot by ready and debugging code.
>>
>>55425937
>assembler
It used to be called that on the old IBM mainframes.
>>
>>55425885
This. I do the same desu.
Employers don't care at this point
>>
>>55425882

The only correct answer..

>>55425937

Hahahaha... oh shit, man.
>>
>>55426278
ur mom
>>
>>55425937

>MySequel

funfact:
SQL is actually pronounced "sequel"..
>>
>>55425867
Just put as many as possible. Recruiters pick up on keywords so you want to just bang it out.

Like you could say you know a bit of c++, you might not be that proficient in it but it would widen your profile. In the interview you can explain away.

Of course it depends what level of experience you have, once you have been working for a few years it makes sense to only put the languages you have seriously worked in, because you would probably want a job using that or something similar
>>
>>55425867
>being so inept that you can't manage to program in any language by simply looking at its syntax once
>>
>>55425867
You shouldn't bother putting it in the first place. I've yet to see a single cv that wouldn't have been strictly improved by dropping the stupid "here's a list languages I've heard of" section. Is it really the best thing you can come up with when asked to describe yourself? For once use your brain.
>>
>>55428265
it's merely for HR
>>
>>55428265
If you don't have any keywords in your CV nobody will look at it
>>
quantifying knowing a language is meaningless. no matter what we tell you, you'll need to make a gut call.

i list whatever i know enough in that i could articulate some ideas. that's the same standard for any language.
>>
>>55426452
kek
>>
>>55425937
>Goy, rush
>Dolphin
What are these supposed to be?
>>
>>55428430

Go, Rust, Delphi
>>
>>55428430
Go, Rust and something
>>
>>55428430
>Goy
Go
>rush
Rust
>>
>>55425867
When you have been able to make several projects with it.
>>
>>55428489
Hello World
Fizzbuzz (this was hard)
>>
File: 2016-07-05_22-14-18.png (203 KB, 392x366) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-05_22-14-18.png
203 KB, 392x366
>>55427996
> SQL is actually pronounced "sequel"..
Kill yourself
>>
>>55425867
A college course.
>>
>>55429807
this
>>
>>55426387
kek
>>
>>55429807
>>55430449
kill you'reself
>>
quality thread
>>
i've made serveral android apps and other small programs in rust and c but i can never seem to get to the point where i can just program blindly without using stack overflow or consorting the documentation constantly.
>>
File: 202341.png (711 KB, 739x607) Image search: [Google]
202341.png
711 KB, 739x607
>>55429807
>Goes to first lecture in C++
>Entire hour long lecture is about how "Hello World" works

Yeah, no, fuck off.
>>
File: 1466642835664.png (10 KB, 797x679) Image search: [Google]
1466642835664.png
10 KB, 797x679
enough to know the name and the characteristics of it off of wikipedia
>>
>>55425867
If you can program on whiteboard without syntax errors, then put it on. What matters more is being able to solve coding interview questions like two-sum or checking if a number is a perfect square.
>>
>>55432834
College tends to accelerate after the first week.
>>
If you feel you can successfully express yourself using the language, put it on your CV.
>>
File: sql.png (19 KB, 1372x180) Image search: [Google]
sql.png
19 KB, 1372x180
>>55429012
>>
if you get asked questions about it in the interview you should be able to answer them

like type systems, syntax, features, pros and cons between languages

and obviously you should be able to program in them
>>
If you can write a compiler or interpreter for it.
>>
>>55425885
What about interviews where they ask you to program? is that just a myth? non-programmer here (just R).
>>
HR and women have ruined this industry, just make sure you fill your CV with man buzzwords, and link to your github repository so that an experienced person can glance at it
>>
>>55432834
To be fair, you could explain a huge portion of the language depending on how complex the Hello World program is.

I had a lecture in C++ in my 2nd year, most of it was gibberish when I first went to it but I did fine. Looking back at the notes for it though - the prof really had some brilliant insights on developing effective, concise and error free code you wouldn't understand until you actually had some decent grounding in development.

>>55437051
I've done a fair bit of interviews. Some will have you write code on paper, some will have you write it on a computer. Some will want a specific language, some will want whatever and just proof you understand the underlying concepts. Most of the time its more about thought processes. Some won't even give you a challenge, just knowledge questions.

The worst ones want you to solve bizarre algorithmic problems in the best big O time in a specific language. Companies that throw those interviews out are usually a fucking mess internally or think they're gods.

Technical interviews are all over the place.
>>
>>55437278
>The worst ones want you to solve bizarre algorithmic problems in the best big O time in a specific language. Companies that throw those interviews out are usually a fucking mess internally or think they're gods.

Google. Is it even worth it working there?
>>
>>55437278
Are Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Dropbox, and all the others asking challenging algorithmic questions not worth working for?
>>
>>55427996
>Structured Query Language
no it's not you fucking retard
the only acronym that's allowed to be pronounced is gnu
because as it turns out there's actually an animal called a gnu
>>
>>55437504
Microsoft and Amazon don't ask anything crazy.

M$ loves seeing open source contributions

It's not the big companies that are the worst at this, it's those smaller companies like JaneStreet which develop some kind of circle jerky genius company culture that are the worst.
>>
File: 1446687245925.png (200 KB, 407x652) Image search: [Google]
1446687245925.png
200 KB, 407x652
>>55437744

>M$ loves seeing open source contributions

Because if they are any good they'll put them in the next version of Win, huehuehuehue..
>>
>>55437545

>two things can't have the same name
>hurr, we are such a special snowflake

Typical gnutard logic.

I bet you also say "gnu/linux" and are a lefty vegetarian sjw..?
>>
You have to be able to come up with an original and cool JAPH, then you can put Perl on your resume.
Otherwise, nobody's gonna take you seriously man.
>>
problem is that I can pick up langauges like ruby, JavaScript, kotlin, Scala, etc., quite fast

But it would be really long to list all those, so I just put the usual c, c++, c#, Java, and whatever flavor of the month
>>
>>55425867
you know one, you can learn a second in a week
you know two, you can learn a third in a day

the only difference are some keywords/symbols and command line flags
>>
It's called a portfolio you dingus.

If you don't have projects in that language hosted somewhere (previous job, github, etc) then you have no proof you know that language and shouldn't bother writing it on your resume.
>>
>>55440180

>NEET

>>55440069

>I can pick up langauges like ruby, JavaScript, kotlin, Scala, etc., quite fast

I doubt that.
A langauge is more than just a bunch of instructions, you need to do non-trivial projects to really get a feel for it.

There is a "ruby way", a "scala way" and so on. There is also "good JavaScript" and "terrible JavaScript".

And unless you have already a deep background in something like Haskell or Erlang, the functional paradigm of Scala will at least take you some month to sink in. And it takes years to really "know" such langauges.

While JavaScript doesn't seem so big, but if you also add jQuery and a few Frameworks it's not that small anymore.

Ruby looks simple, but has very deep concepts, for example it's famous for it's meta programming.
>>
>>55425867

>How well should you know a language to put it on your CV?

Just put up the projects/tools you did with each languge and let them judge for themselfes. For example:

>Java
-building serveral GUIs with Swing
-deep knowledge of the JUnit Framework (used in > 10 programms)
-making a JavaEE Website with my own Tomcat server, using JavaBeans and the Hibernate framework

>C
-about 20 smaller programms for university, i.e. a TCP client, a GTK+ GUI ...

This is far more interesting than just heaing "I know the following langauges very well:"

Because what does "very well" mean? Could be anything..
>>
>>55425937
Are you a woman or a black?
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.