[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of a CS degree if everything can be self-taught?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (69 KB, 876x600) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
69 KB, 876x600
I believe everything within a CS degree can be self-taught through online courses or through blogs, podcast and other online learnings.

One difficulty would be enforcing mathematical rigor and ensuring a deep mathematical understanding of proofs and higher level concepts like abstract algebra, analysis, number theory, probability/statistics, discrete math, logic, algorithms and data structures... but even that can be self-learned through textbooks and sites like MO, Stack exchanges etc.

So what is the point of a CS degree?
>>
>>55424756
Because anyone can say that they are "self taught". At least you have to put in some modicum of effort to attain a CS degree.
>>
>>55424756
Proof that you actually learned anything and that you are dedicated enough to actually do some work for a few years in a row.
>>
>>55424756
Theoretically everything can be self-taught but yet each of us don't know everything.
>>
>>55424756
as a self-taught I can say now that I totally regret not getting a formal education in CS despite my previous obstinance that I am a strong independent thinker who don't need no professor

in particular I missed out on getting a solid, coherent foundation (in other words a curriculum), on having the personal connection, guidance and mentorship one only attains from a teacher-student relationship, and on the opportunies afforded by the well-established connections between academia and industry (in other words job placement)

all because I was afraid of student loan debt and being forced to use Java and C++. now I'm broke and writing shitty C++ anyway. don't make my mistake, just do it, yes you can, yesterday you said tomorrow.
>>
What's the point of studying Juris Doctor at Harvard if you can just teach yourself law?
>>
the degree acts as a basic filter, so they don't get thousands of applicants claiming they know CS.
>>
YOu are looking at it the wrong way.
If everything can be self taught, how come you are the only faggot out there without some CS degree?
>>
>>55424756

You can literally say this about everything in the world.
>>
>>55424756
Because the idea of mastery varies so heavily from person to person.

Lots of pajeets and changs copy paste code from stackoverflow then happily add that programming language to their resume - but they would miserably fail fizz buzz in that very same language.

A degree is not an indicator you would pass that fizz buzz, but there's enough checks and balances it weeded out the copy and paste crowd thanks to written in class exams.
>>
>>55424756
I think the main reason companies hire people with degrees because it is proves that they could start something and see it through to the end, i.e. that you are at least somewhat self-motivated. If someone isn't functional enough to do that then you don't want to hire that person. Of course, the degree being relevant to the job helps too.

That is not to say a degree is the only way of proving you are at least somewhat motivated.
>>
>>55424849
Most CS grads seem to have learned pretty much nothing somehow though
>>
>>55425829
If 90% of CS grads are retarded, then at least 99.99% of people who claim they are "self taught" must be as well.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.