[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PPC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: whatapieceofjunk.png (411 KB, 799x592) Image search: [Google]
whatapieceofjunk.png
411 KB, 799x592
I just inherited one of these babies.
It has a whole 4.5 GB of RAM and came with the beautiful 20" Cinema display. I restored OS X Leopard on it and it's total crap.
Thinking of trying out
http://lubuntu.net/ for PPC instead.
Your thoughts /g/?
>>
OpenBSD/macppc is quite nice and well supported. MorphOS if you want to try something different. But of course you should just install gentoo ppc.
>>
File: 2016-07-05-scrot.png (16 KB, 360x132) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-05-scrot.png
16 KB, 360x132
>PowerPC
>PPPC
>>
>>55423850
You could always rice Xubuntu to look like OS X, that's what I did one time when I was bored
>>
File: 1763483535.png (38 KB, 488x329) Image search: [Google]
1763483535.png
38 KB, 488x329
>>55423850
>PPC
>botnet free

go for it
>>
>>55423850
don't do it

those things are beautiful creatures
>>
>>55424034
Yeah sure it looks pretty but after I set it up I was looking at it and realized I'm not going to be able to set up much new software on here. No Chrome (don't judge me) or Firefox (gasp) etc. etc. I dunno plus I think linux will just run the show much smoother.

>>55423925
>gentoo
no thanks, don't want to sit there for 2 hours just to install vim
>>
>>55423850
What a sexy bitch. Not much of a Mac guy but those old Mac Pros are nearly fuckable.
>>
>>55424229
It's a PowerMac. Mac Pros are Intel.

OP it's kind of worthless if you don't want to run OS X on it.
>>
>>55424248
>Not much of a Mac guy
Thanks, you know what I mean.
>>
File: debian_jessie_pic.jpg (26 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
debian_jessie_pic.jpg
26 KB, 400x284
>>55424248
I don't find OS X user-friendly at all.
I might just put Debian Jessie on it and use it as a web and fileserver if nothing else. I tried installing Debian with KDE for me DE but the nouveau driver sucks; when I blacklisted the nouveau driver I got a GUI but it's the wrong color-depth long story short I don't want to spend the next 3 days just getting KDE working on Debian installed on an old Mac, regardless of how sexy she is.
>>
>>55424339
>I don't find OS X user-friendly at all.
Yea, OK, but if you aren't going to use it there isn't much point to owning that thing.
>>
>>55423850

put dual X5670:s in it
>>
>>55424419
No desire to spend any money on this rig, otherwise I'd just build a new one.
>>
>>55424419
Are you retarded?
>>
>>55423850
Honestly just use something comfy.
Personally I use Ubuntu with Unity if I need to do browsing.
Otherwise I'd just install Gentoo (nojoke) because it supports PPC properly and install i3 for work.
>>
>>55425037
I might have to re-visit Gentoo.
You guys are going to drive me to drink
>>
>>55423941
>CCCP
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.