[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no simple solution for quickly switching between two operating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: F73MNW1H3BL0DK9.MEDIUM.jpg (20 KB, 620x277) Image search: [Google]
F73MNW1H3BL0DK9.MEDIUM.jpg
20 KB, 620x277
>no simple solution for quickly switching between two operating systems in a dual-boot setup without losing your session
>>
>>55418844
It is called virtual machine.
>>
>>55418857
That comes with a performance loss and probable compatibility issues with certain hardware.
>>
>>55418857
Virtualbox still doesn't support CUDA.
>>
>>55418844
>no actual reason for quickly switching between two operating systems in a dual-boot setup

ftfy
>>
>>55418979
If you want to open Photoshop without going through the buggy clustercuck that is Wine, or running in a Virtual Machine that doesn't support GPU acceleration on your machine.
>>
>>55418882
We both know youre a fucking gamer. So make a pci-e passtrough for your gaymen VM using your meme card and run gentoo on your igpu.
>>
>>55418882
Nah. Especially not for what you're doing. Virtualization is good for enterprise, it's good enough for you.
>>
>>55418844
http://www.colinux.org/
Good enough? Or it isn't >simple enough?
>>
>>55419000
>doesn't support GPU acceleration
LOL. What do you have a GMA965?
>>
can you explain why you would need this without suffering a minimal loss in performance from a hypervisor? or are you just a little crybaby weiner?
>>
>>55419036
Probably for messing with neural networks, which run slow as shit without CUDA and direct access to the GPU
>>
>>55419166
Then he should build an appropriate machine for it.
>>
How do I even use a hypervisor? Can I use it to run Mac OS with minimal performance loss?
>>
File: but_why.jpg (16 KB, 600x710) Image search: [Google]
but_why.jpg
16 KB, 600x710
>>55419271
>Mac OS
>>
>>55419312
I need to run some Mac specific programs like Sketch 3 and Adobe Experience Design CC. Thanks.
>>
>>55419348
It's not legal to do so, or at least you have to host the vm in a Mac itself, but:
Have you read this?
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2005793
>>
>>55419348
looks like you should just jump out of a moving car then instead of complaining
>>
>>55419418
Thanks, I'll check that out. Might end up just borrowing a friend's Mac desu.
>>
>>55419458
In order to virtualize a Mac you first must be the Mac
>>
>>55418844
>what is hibernation
>>
>>55418904
How about using a real hypervisor then ?
>>
>>55419000
GPU passthrough bro
>>
>>55419000
>without going through the buggy clustercuck that is Wine
It's pretty nice IMO and with playonlinux is easy to setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
>>
>>55418882
>there's no solution to X
>except for the solution to X, but that's too slow!
>>
There was this shit, but nobody used it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_Linux

There are a number of things similar to what you describe, but nobody ever use them because few people want to run two OSs simultaneously.
>>
>>55418904
Unless you're a poorfag, go buy VMware.
>>
>>55418844
>actually wanting to run two kernels in kernel mode at the same time
>implying that they won't just deadlock each other on launch
There is a reason why it's called a dual-boot.

Or you can just stop being an idiot and run a VM like the rest of the world.
>>
>>55419348
Buy a used Mac Mini off eBay and set it up. If you're poor, use a KVM switch.
>>
>>55418844
Why not just fuckin use Windows alone
For the most part you average user has no need for some fancy Linux stuff specifically, unless we are talking low-power/old machines
>>
>>55419023

>Playing games on GMA965 and having it crash continually

Those were the days, those were the days.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.