[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to have 2 video cards operating separately (non-sli)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110 KB, 1440x1080
Is there a way to have 2 video cards operating separately (non-sli) in a windows computer?

Say I buy a new video card but the old one is still fully functional. Could it be possible to keep the 2nd one and have it be in charge of everything except programs specifically given to the new one? So all the stuff on other monitors or on the background would run on the old card while the game would get 100% of the power of the new card?

Alternatively to have monitor 1 hooked up to and managed by the new card while monitors 2 & 3 and the programs running on those monitors handled by old card?

Is it within the realm of possibilities or even easily doable with a standard windows setup?
>>
No.
Also, you're and idiot.
>>
If I'm not mistaken, you just have to install two video cards and you achieve this. Have you even bothered to try it?
>>
>>55418658
I don't have a second card lying around.
>>
>>55418627
Yes. I did this with a gtx570 and a quadro 600.
>>
>>55418665
so correct me if I'm reading your post wrong. you want to have 2 video cards, one of which has two monitors, the other only has 1 monitor.. what more is it you want exactly?
>>
>>55418627
Sure, you can't drive individual applications though, what card does what depends on what application is running on what monitor.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-25-01h14m12s124.png (2 MB, 1920x1016) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-25-01h14m12s124.png
2 MB, 1920x1016
>>55418723
>applications can't use hardware.
>>
>>55418674
How did you go about specifying which software used which card?
>>55418690
Yes this but I also want to know if it actually works like that on the OS level. What GPU the monitors get their picture from isn't the important part but how capable is Windows of separating what processes get handled by which card and how practical is it for regular computer use instead of some manual setup only designed to run under specific circumstances.
>>
>>55418648
Wrong, its entirely possible.
>>55418627
You don't seem to understand how hardware acceleration works. Your game gets 99.999% all the time (assuming you have it running in true fullscreen). I used to run a GT310 and a GTX460 because i ran out of monitor ports. Multi window gaming cannot be done like this though.
>>
>>55418753
>>55418769
also give us examples on what programs you're trying to run in what scenario
>>
>>55418753
dude.. each monitor displays the application "running" on each card. if you're integrating the card into windows (getting any output on windows) you can choose which applications are being processed by that card by literally dragging it to that screen. ya fuckin new or what?
>>
>>55418769
I rarely if ever run games in true fullscreen. And surely the stuff on other monitors take up resources as well.
>>55418723
Is it really that simple? What if you run a game in windowed mode and leave it 50-50 on two monitors? A lot of video games have a GPU option in the settings which I assume would solve this but I haven't seen a similiar setting in anything except vidya.
>>
>>55418809
Something as simple as a video player, web browser viewing video content, another game. Stuff like that.
>>
If you use an intel cpu you already have two video cards on your computer. Go to Nvidia control panel, and choose which card should run which application there. Its literally just point and click.
>>
>>55418847
I have an intel CPU like that with a video card but no such settings anywhere in the nvidia control panel. Sure you're not thinking of geforce experience or whatever it's called? I don't have that installed because it was shit.
>>
>>55418648
>plug one monitor into GPU and another into onboard graphics
how is this different
>>
>>55418822
>What if you run a game in windowed mode and leave it 50-50 on two monitors?
Slow the fuck down Neo you're going to crash the Matrix.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.