[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I would just like to interject for a moment. What you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 20160623_01_14_34KidsWifi.png (109 KB, 223x217) Image search: [Google]
20160623_01_14_34KidsWifi.png
109 KB, 223x217
I would just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mint, is in fact, Ubuntu/Cinnamon, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Cinnamon. Mint is not a GNU/Linux distro unto itself, but rather adds another free component to a fully functioning GNU/Linux system made useful by the software normally shipped with a Ubuntu distro comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu distro every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Ubuntu which is widely used today is often called "Mint", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Ubuntu distro, developed by Canonical.

There really is a Mint, and these people are using it, but it just adds a part of the system they use. Mint comes with the Cinnamon desktop environment: the program in the system that helps the user work with the computer in an intuitive manner. The desktop environment is an essential part of a graphical operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mint with Cinnamon was developed after a group of users was unhappy with the direction Ubuntu was heading with the introduction of Unity: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with Cinnamon added, or Ubuntu/Cinnamon.
>>
>>55407200
you made me smile
>>
>>55407200
Underrated post
>>
What about mint xfce tho?
>>
>>55407200
Well done.
>>
>>55407200

>What you're referring to as Ubuntu, is in fact Debian..
>What you're referring to as Debian, is in fact the Linux kernel..

You seem to have difficulties to understand the concepts of "Linux Distributions"?

-differnt default software
-differnt Update Manager
-differnet compliance with Debian
-different policy with Software & Codecs (Mint just werks and supports many codecs and *GULP* proprietary software out-of-the-box)
-the shitty "Ubuntu Upgrade" that fails 50% of the time and destroys complete systems without giving the user the slightest hint beforehand

Also let's just ignore that "Linux Mint Debian Edition" is based on Debian testing edition and has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

>tl;dr: educate yourself, pleb
>>
>>55407927
Furthermore, mint is so shitty, it needs to disable "dangerous" updates like the LINUX kernel itself so it doesnt fall apart.

Enjoy your broken piece of shit.
>>
i lost all respect for mint after it got hacked
>>
>>55408268

How is this bad?

The "dangerous" updates are disabled to protect the noob users (i.e. former ubuntu users), every serious user will enable them immediately ..
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.