[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Telegram is a complete joke of an IM protocol that nobody on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: 27116-icon-telegram-app_max.png (43 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
27116-icon-telegram-app_max.png
43 KB, 512x512
>doesn't have end-to-end encryption by default
>server software isn't open source
>hasn't been audited by an independent security company
>doesn't have basic modern features like voice calling
>has all your messages and pictures stored in "the cloud" in plaintext
>needs your phone number to even work

B-b-but its open source!!!!!

Why does /g/ keep recommending this piece of shit when it clearly is bad for your privacy?

Why isn't there a truly private, optionally anonymous, fully open-source IM protocol yet?
>>
>>55405514
but it is on fdroid
>>
What do you suggest? Whatsapp? Some nsa/windows phone shit?
>>
File: standards.png (24 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24 KB, 500x283
>>
>>55405571
might as well add voip to that image now
>>
File: dSIJ7Jj[1].gif (28 KB, 320x366) Image search: [Google]
dSIJ7Jj[1].gif
28 KB, 320x366
>Telegram is a complete joke of an IM protocol that nobody on /g/ should be using

Where have you been for the last two years?
>>
>>55405562
>What do you suggest?

Signal or anything that is even more advanced than Signal.
>>
File: signal.png (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
signal.png
17 KB, 300x300
Psst. Hey kid. Want to share some [spoiler]secrets?[/spoiler]
>>
All I know is Jacob Applebaum was doing the whole shilling against Telegram meme thing in overdrive, and he's CIA...
>>
>>55405593
Not available without gapps and isn't in f-droid -> trash
>>
>>55405673
>applebaum

Jew detected. Of course he is working against you.
>>
>>55405702
That's the main reason I don't use Signal.

I think the Jew who created it is working with Google to make people use Google Play Services.
>>
>>55405514
I use FaceBook Messenger because I have friends and do not need encryption because my government knows everything about me anyway.
>>
>>55405702
This. Signal provides security, at the cost of all privacy.
>>
I was going to mention LibreSignal but I guess it's been put down, huh? The overhaul of Chatsecure and Conversations, with the Zom client targeted towards the average user seems fairly promising, though.
>>
Get a job you losers so you can afford the $2 necessary to use based Threema.
>>
>>55405756
filtered
>>
Tox.
>>
>>55408218
>trusting your privacy to proprietary software
>>
>>55408370
Yup, if it's end to end encrypted I don't care they have my metadata. By the way, any open source alternative collects these anyways.
>>
>>55408219
You sure showed him you juvenile faggot.
>>
>>55408219
Tripfags are narcissistic faggots who won't care some anonymous user filtered them.
>>
>muh privacy
It just werks though.
>>
>>55405514
You complete dumbass.

1. It is open-source.
2. It does have end-to-end encryption.
3. It rated 7/7 on the EFF security scorecard while using super secret chats.

Do your research.
>>
File: hello.png (10 KB, 207x243) Image search: [Google]
hello.png
10 KB, 207x243
>>55405593
>gcm
>centralized
>requires your phone #
>>
>>55405779
What kind of security does it provide?
>>
I think we can pretty much agree on the fact that Threema is the undisputed masterrace among freedom respecting and secure messengers. Servers are also located not in the US which is such a huge bonus and btw the only reason we use this at work only instead of any alternative. It's not open source but I don't care it's end to end encrypted and they can have my metadata. Also I pay for it so I know there are actual people working on it instead of relying on the arbitrariness of some hobbyist developers.
>>
Conversation is nice, but account on their server cost 8€ a year
>>
>>55408630
End to end encryption
>>
>>55405562
Conversations on f-droid with OTR or OMEMO encryption, but OTR doesn't support group messaging.

Also don't use OMEMO yet for any sensitive data, but you shouldn't use your phone for that anyway.
>>
> shilling for messengers
> not using truly free jabber+OTR
nah
>>
>>55409035
>It's end to end encrypted
But do you really know, when it's proprietary?
>>
File: 1447884172770.png (23 KB, 982x274) Image search: [Google]
1447884172770.png
23 KB, 982x274
>>55408505
1. It's not open-source server-side, can you fucking read?
2. End-to-end encryption has been broken several times.
3. The EFF security scorecard was on stuff like "is the encryption end-to-end encrypted" (2 stars), "is it open-source", can you verify the contact's identity", etc. Pic related.
>>
>>55409458
the old google chat was xmpp compatible/based
dont know why they decided to drop it, oh well
>>
>>55408251
>tox
not a pedophile
>>
>>55409471
I'd stress that, additional to the fact it's end-to-end encrypted (⭐⭐), the code is open for independant review (⭐⭐⭐) and it has been audited (⭐⭐⭐⭐), then proven broken.

EFF
F
F
>>
>>55405514
By the way, SpiderOak (Snowden-approved zero-knowledge backup solution) team is making a zero-knowledge Slack concurrent. https://spideroak.com/solutions/semaphor/tour
>>
>>55408505
Not the anon you're replying to, but I have.

Telegram fails its security promises. Most of the time it does not encrypt data at all. When it does, it has padding problems. It's like Pavel Durov heard about the concept of cake, and then set a team of chartered accountants to the task of baking one, and they came back with an ingredients list full of rusty nails, GLaDOS-style, and no-one batted an eyelid and released it.

Don't use Telegram. As the Grugq said, it's "error prone, has wonky homebrew encryption, leaks voluminous metadata, steals the address book, and is now known as a terrorist hangout. I couldn’t possibly think of a worse combination for a safe messenger."

Signal is the best. WhatsApp is the second best. Neither are suitable for desktops, neither protect metadata very well (but don't leak it in the clear as Telegram does), but that's the best you have for the moment.

>>55409035
>"freedom respecting" and "secure" messengers
>not open source
Pick one.

That isn't to say Threema is bad, but if you're going to use a proprietary messenger you would be better-placed using WhatsApp, which uses the Signal protocol (née Axolotl) and the Noise protocol framework, and also has a much bigger user base.
>>
>>55405514
> it has all your messages and pictures stored in "the cloud" in plaintext

Source?
>>
Give me a messaging app with all the features that Telegram has and I will switch over. Desktop client, Browser client, Windows phone client. Able to add bots to chats, able to send large files, able to post stickers and gifs easily. Telegram seems to cover everything whatsapp has and more.
>>
>>55409552
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
>>
>>55411302
True
>>
>>55405571
MicroUSB and UTF-8 are both huge, resounding successes, though.
>>
>not communicating via hand-written letters and using a different pigeon every day
Plebs
>>
>using Google apps
>>
>>55412244
>being a memer
>>
>>55408218
>>55409035
> advocating propietary software
>>55405593
> advocating messenger reliant on botnet
>>55410272
> Advocating messenger owned by Facebook

Summerfags are already here?
>>
>>55417481
> Crying about propietary software
Sometimes propietary is the only option anon, stop being a bitch about it.
>>
>>55405514
>Why isn't there a truly private, optionally anonymous, fully open-source IM protocol yet?
Well, if it's all so simple why haven't you done it yet?
If you are so het up about it and there is, according to you, a crying need for it why haven't you done something other that attention-whore?
>>
>>55405702
>forces people to make fdroid compatible suggestions because they chose to use fdroid.

You are the vegan of technology.
>>
here's what creator of telegram thinks about users of telegram
gotta trust FSB, they will protect your shit from ebil NSA
god fucking damit can't wait to see death of IMs
>>
>>55405702
>>55405717
There's a build in an external F-Droid repo (eutopia.cz I think, look up "LibreSignal"). It works without GApps if you flash microG, the FOSS implementation of some of the GApps infrastructure (even works with no Google account).

I'm sick of having to post this shit in every thread I see, can you faggots please actually learn this this time?
>>
File: Durov_fuck_you.jpg (25 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
Durov_fuck_you.jpg
25 KB, 306x306
>>55417899
forgot pic
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 192x184) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 192x184
>>55405514
Haha. I pretty much almost never heard of Telegram and the first insight I have on it is that a bunch of pedos rushed to make it their go-to instant messenger because of the open source meme and none of them cared to verify that it actually had any privacy feature
>>
>>55417921
Libresignal stopped working because the jewish developer doesn't want people using his servers with an un-official client, even the websockets.

Why don't you fucking learn something this time faggot?
>>
File: 1464297898326.jpg (10 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1464297898326.jpg
10 KB, 320x320
>>55412244
>implying the nsa wouldn't shoot the pigeon down read the message and send another pigeon back to you faking a response and inducing you to incriminate yourself.
>>
The only chat/app that comes close to cross platform and not already owned by cuckbook jewgle or microcuck is Discord really in terms of popularity. Discord and Telegram. Kik is still popular too for some reason.
>>
Whatsapp with autobackup disabled.

Now what?
>>
>>55409035
fucking idiot
>>
>>55409035
This

/thread
>>
>>55417481
>Advocating messenger owned by Facebook
I've independently reviewed it, but I also think that's a shame. It provides for a convenient metadata collection avenue I would not be surprised that NSA target.

Still, it doesn't change that when I reviewed it, as far as I could tell WhatsApp was sound and fulfilled the promises it makes.

WhatsApp is, I note, run as a separate entity to Facebook itself and .br has had no success in getting it to fold. They are strongly against backdoors and so far, mean well.

I would prefer something open-source and not run in the same manner, hence Signal appearing on top. Something with no central organisation would probably be preferable, but nothing like that is both stronger in any appreciable way and ready to use yet. I'm sticking with my recommendations, and I'm not pretending they're perfect.
>>
>>55419908
Whatsapp backups are encrypted with reasonable ciphers, both local and cloud
Still, use Signal, out better yet XMPP+OTR+Tor and avoid Google
>>
>>55405514
M-my pictures are not encrypted?
>>
>this thread again
We all know
>>
>>55405593
>>55405702
What about LibreSignal?
>>
>>55424528
It's been abandoned. Check its Github page for more information.

On a happier note, Marlinspike has now said that a patch adding websockets support will be accepted if it's good enough.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.