[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Underrated software. Geany is constantly maintained and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1108795.png (103 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1108795.png
103 KB, 400x400
ITT: Underrated software. Geany is constantly maintained and just lets you work.
>>
>>55404340
You realize you don't get any replies because no one here do any actual work in Linux.
>>
an actual IDE not based on java, without dependencies up your ass, and little storage space used.
>>
It's more used than you think. It's just not memed enough.
>>
>>55404340

it's a nice software but people like sublime (and most are web devs or apple fags).

looks nice in Ubuntu Mate
>>
>>55404340
why not just use vim or emacs?
>>
It's my notepad of choice on Linux.

I also nominate ffmpeg across platforms. I think it intimidates a lot of people to use it on its own, but it's so powerful. You don't need other "applications" which do nothing but offer text boxes and sliders, the contents of which will just be passed to ffmpeg as arguments anyway.
>>
>>55404895
>Vim
Meme paradigm, doesn't make programmers more productive. You'll lose time for all the inane operations that take longer, not gain time for the few important operations that are performed slightly faster (once you git gud). Really shitty defaults because "muh POSIX", isn't even close to modern until you create a .vimrc. Still has really shitty defaults after that, useful features like tab completion in the ex command line are hidden from you unless you really want to read the whole goddamn manual. Many more things require that you try out various plugins that all aim to accomplish the same basic shit. Maintainer is a luddite retard, neovim is a bloated flop that went way too far out of scope. Doesn't let you open multiple files in actual multiple windows, limits you to a sort of tiling WM.
>Emacs
The father and mother of shitty defaults. I've never seen an emacs user that didn't have a buffer with their init.el open at all times. Vc-mode is weak as fuck and slows shit down. Did I mention slow shit? Configure some daemon-client shit and launch client frames if you don't want to wait five minutes for your usable keybinds to load. Has many little instabilities/quirks and not enough maintainers. Pretty much only close to usable as a GUI editor, sucks shit for people configuring remote UNIX servers. At least it has modern features like multi-window sessions, right? Well, just make sure you try and understand and configure the way emacs decides when, where, and whether to open or show a buffer first. The default way, as with all emacs defaults, is retarded and gets in the way of you and your work. Uses 8mb of RAM.
>>
>>55404340
Geany's pretty good.
>>
>>55405018
I use vim regularly for C++ development and quick edits of python scripts both of which require me to establish ssh sessions to multiple remote servers on the regular. Vim's super quick to work with (nothing is really ever more than three key strokes away).

I only use emacs when I'm working on lisp programs (we have a couple old programs at work that nobody ever felt the need to port). I have EVIL for vim bindings installed for emacs.
>>
>>55405059
Only desktop users think vim is quick, because the mouse cursor is literally a foot away instead of a small elbow contraction.

t. operate a trackpad with my thumb while staying on the homerow

>you
>di(
>me
>thumb movement double tap and hit delete
>>
>>55405081
I can't help but feel that you misread something.
Also, your thumb thing, from the way you're describing it, sounds mad uncomfortable.
>>
>>55404895
>vim or emacs
because nano is simple enough
>>
>>55404340
Geany is trash, just like most of Linux software.
>>
>>55404340
Both Samsung Document Creator and GNOME Simple Scan, althought both organizations can't into software in any other case.
>>
>>55404340

I like Geany..

The text editors I like the most are:

Vim for coding projects
Geany for small changes or I'm not in the mood for Vim
Notepad++ when I'm on Windows or need to process big files
>>
File: vimlogo.png (50 KB, 605x606) Image search: [Google]
vimlogo.png
50 KB, 605x606
>>55404340
VIM, once I've learned how to use it, I don't want to use anything else... IDE? No thank you.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.