[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With pricing and availability aside, are there any advantages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
182 KB, 1920x1080
With pricing and availability aside, are there any advantages of using a HDD over a SSD?
>>
>>55398898
Storage size.
Its really really hard to get a SDD that fits 10tb in the same size of a HDD.
>>
A HDD won't lose your data if you leave it unplugged for 6 months.
>>
>>55398955
if this is relevant for your usecase, use bandstorage
>>
>>55398955
Why isnt tape storage more prevelent in the consumer market?
>>
>>55399005
Because its very slow.
>>
>>55399030
But its retension is higher then both hdd and sdd.It wont die even after 100 years of not being powered on.

Clearly this is the superior format
>>
>>55399030
Extremely fast sequential read and write, extremely slow random access.
Also really resilient to damage. Tape rips, you can splice it together and only lose the small section.

LHC uses it because they can spam terabytes per second of data to 100s of tape drives.
>>
>>55399064
oh, tape is also rather cheap too. The readers are the expensive part.
>>
>>55398924
Why dont we just have 3.5 SSDs that are packed to the brim?
>>
>>55399100
Expensive as fucc
Plus, then you would be limited by the speed of sata. Best to use pcie or multiple sata connections when you get that dense.
>>
I saw a high end WD Black 6tb with 500 read and write in a benchmark thread recently. I would love to run two of those in raid on a desktop as opposed to an SSD. Similar pricing to a 1tb ssd but you get 12 tb of storage. Most people say that past 300 or so read speed you don't notice much difference but I used a machine with a high end nvme drive and I was literally blown away. It's anecdotal but I'm not sure what to believe. I'm waiting for more 3D NANDs to hit the market before upgrading my storage solution.
>>
>>55399149
>use 9 year old 500gb drive in my desktop
>still works
Its kinda annoyingly slow at first, but as soon as linux starts shoving files into the 24gb of cache its not an issue.
>>
>>55398898
On sheer capacity per dollar, the HDD still wins. I wouldn't dream of setting up a NAS right now with SSDs as the primary form of storage. It just doesn't make any sense.

Especially if it's just a repository for documents and media files to stream. SSDs offer no benefits in that regard.
>>
>>55399233
Go to bestbuy and play around on a surface pro 4. It's insane how fast shit launches when it's not cahced in the RAM already. I almost bought the fucking thing but stopped myself by realizing I could have a pile of x220's instead.
>>
>>55398898
SSDs should only ever be used as boot drives.
>>
>>55399298
I have a cheapo 128gb ssd in my laptop and the speed is very apparent.
However, my desktop usually stays on, and the linux cache system is pretty darn good so hard drives are fine for it.

>want to play rage in wine
>cat the entire rage installation directory to /dev/null
>no texture pop in at all, barely any disc usage when playing
>>
>>55399030
Ever heard of a fastloader?
>>
>>55399344
The seeking is the slow part. Having to wind through half a mile of tape just to read a few MB takes a while, even though the tape can saturate sata when doing sequential reads and writes.
>>
>>55398924

you can fit 4 ssds in the same space tho
>>
>>55399423
This happens if you use datacenter-tier magnetic reels (The big ones you see in movies) but using RAID fastloader datassettes drives should do the trick if seek time is what you're aiming to, otherwise the reels should do the trick if you're planning to store absurdly large quantity of data.

You just have to choose which tradeoff you're willing to make, sacrificing speed to space or space to speed
>>
>>55399053
If you think all your data is going to be worth anything in 100 (or even 10) years, you're delusional. That's why you and other consumers don't use tape.
>>
>>55399539
One may also approach the better-safe-than-sorry backup, just to give the future some great shitposting pics to write history with.
>>
>>55398955
I just booted up from a year and a half unused SSD. It's a shitty myth.
>>
File: werx on mah mesheen.png (236 KB, 497x480) Image search: [Google]
werx on mah mesheen.png
236 KB, 497x480
>>55399585
>anecdotal evidence
>>
>>55398898
Cost.
And only cost since the SSD beats a HDD in every other aspect, even data density.
>>
>>55398898
Wow an amazing price of art humans
>>
>>55399064
>>55399081

themoreyouknow.avi
>>
>>55398955
>now we wait for evidence
>>
>>55398898
>>
>>55398898
I wouldn't risk using an HDD for a server containing absolutely critical information until the technology has been established as perfected. I keep hearing about them getting defective or slower. with usage.

>>55399005
Is tape reliable? One tiny physical accident or a magnet gets too near and you loose a bunch of sectors.
>>
>>55399539
>What are university archives
>What are banks
>What are government database
>What are legal files
>What are NASA archives
>What are nuclear launch codes
>What is Japan
>>
>>55398898
Rewrites
>>
>>55400837
>>What are nuclear launch codes
00000000. Don't need any long term storage to remember that.
>>
>>55400837
>>55399539

Yeah, they use tape storage...

Because their data is important, irreplaceable and huge, hundreds of terabytes, to petabytes. The cheapest and most reliable method of long term storage is tape.

For businesses, servers and backup servers and maybe tape make sense

for chronic photo takers, data that they have that is irreplaceable and important probably at most goes up to a few terabyte, there a raid setup for a couple hundred pounds coupled with online storage etc is good enough for that use case.

For almost everyone else their data that is irreplaceable will only be a couple gigabytes. And can be reliably be stored for very little money.

All of my work that I have ever done along with all the photos that I never want to lose fits on a 16gb memory stick, I have a copy of that backup file on my laptop, all of the hardrvies in my desktop, on about 5 16gb memory sticks (on my person, in my safe, with a good friend, with my parents), online, on a computer at my parents in a different country. That cost me about £35 for the memory sticks and such, a situation where all of those could be wiped out at once would leave me with larger things to worry about than files of work that i'm nostalgic about and pictures of dead pets and family..
>>
>>55401912
What if you accidentally bend the tape when manipulating the hardware that holds it?
>>
>>55402101
You have more than one tape, redundancy.
You fire the retard who bends a fucking tape cassette so much as to break it.
You hire a robot to do tape stuff for you like the LHC team do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8ZNgnzSSU
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.