[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides /g/ is there a more cancerous tech site than pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9
File: hacker-news.jpg (15 KB, 700x250) Image search: [Google]
hacker-news.jpg
15 KB, 700x250
Besides /g/ is there a more cancerous tech site than pic related?
>>
soylent news
>>
File: Slashdot_logo.png (6 KB, 250x79) Image search: [Google]
Slashdot_logo.png
6 KB, 250x79
It all went downhill when CowboyNeal was no longer in the polls.
>>
>>55398792
Why would that be "cancerous?"
>>
What's wrong with HN? It's the best tech news aggregator since /.
>>
>>55398792
coderag
>>
File: p12.jpg (391 KB, 813x640) Image search: [Google]
p12.jpg
391 KB, 813x640
>>55398792
>>
>>
Ars is worse.

HN isn't as bad as it was a year or two ago and the dumb activist shit has decreased a little.
>>
File: youtube comments.png (113 KB, 1273x1033) Image search: [Google]
youtube comments.png
113 KB, 1273x1033
>>
>>55398792
HackerNews is not bad.
>>
>>55398951
>twice a week SJW posts
>entire comment section calling out how cancerous slashdot has gotten.

At least the people havent gone to shit.
>>
hn is now reddit tier
lobste.rs ftw
>>
>>55399103
This.
Youtube comments are cancer
>>
>>55399146
>lobsters

pls gib invite
>>
>>55399170
like anyone would be sane enough to give any current /g/entooman an invite
cmon...
>>
Reddit, but that's more of a tie
>>
>>55399159
>Youtube comments are cancer
I wouldn't know; I never read them.
>>
>>55398792
Why so? It seems to be full tech, I can't even understand what they're talking about 9/10 of the threads yet alone have an opinion on the matter
>>
>>55398792
>Besides /g/ is there a more cancerous tech site than pic related?
Yes, reddit
>>
HN is a bad aggregation (front-page is just hipster cred startup bullshit), but it's decent for discussion on a topic of your choice.
>>
>>55399004
LMAO I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE

CHECK YOUR INBOX
>>
HN is great though. This is a good reminder for me to stop browsing /g/ at all. Thanks.
>>
>>55399378
>>55399993
I'm voting with these guys. 4chads at least allows naughty behavior every now and then.
>>
>>55398792
HN about 4-5 years ago was good.
Now it's so popular that the userbase is no longer programmers but instead total fags like 'Founders', 'Co-Founders', 'Diversity-Inclusion', 'Developer Evangelists' ect. ie "People in tech".

pg and the rest of the HN people had a bunch of SJWs in SF go after them for various posts he wrote so now he hardly posts unless it's about some SJW initiative.

Pajeets galore are on HN as well, and it's almost entirely web focused now further distilling every post into pure cancer.

At least they still have a no reddit policy and kill the political threads, political comments and snark comments. There's still hope.

This is a good alternative, you need to get cleared to post first tho to weed out pajeets, 4chan trolls (myself) and reddit weebs https://lobste.rs/
>>
>>55400010
The way to read HN is to find the decent posters and solely follow them using the HN API.

The really good posters will never get involved in an SJW thread so you will never have it in your feed. pbsd is a good example https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=pbsd
>>
>>55400208
Why are you shilling so much for lobsters? It looks like a sjw site for me.
>>
>>55400245
The way to read any tech site is to click on the [-] next to cancer threads instead of on the Reply, IMO.
>>
>>55398977
> muh Paul Graham
The comments are full of self proclaimed 10xers that haven't accomplished shit and never actually write code.
>>
>>55400367
Every popular tech site is like that. As your popularity goes up, your user base more and more approximates the average user.

And the average user can't code. If you want to maintain a user base of coders, it will naturally be very small.
>>
>>55400377
They should ban them starting with Paul Graham himself.
>>
>>55400114
the whole thread is sour grapes, and from a consumer/brand war board that never makes the news, never has visitors/AMAs, and never finishes projects
>>
Why do you guys even read this stuff?

Why do you even come to this board?
>>
>>55400367
How would you get anything done, when you spend your time 10x campaigning for sjw?
>>
>>55400485
HN AMAs are usually pretty uninteresting. It's usually SV investor trash or Alan Kay babbling incoherently as people fellate him.
>>
>>55400405
Then it won't be popular.
>>
File: just_answer_it.png (100 KB, 705x1029) Image search: [Google]
just_answer_it.png
100 KB, 705x1029
>>55398792
stackoverflow (reddit)
>>
>>55400541
Yeah. After HN went to shit a lot of people migrated to invite only private forums and that seems to work a lot better. The problem with that is that a lot of people that aren't in SV or working for the big 4 get excluded.

lobste.rs is a hybrid that is working out ok so far but it isn't really active enough.
>>
>>55400485
>makes the news
>has AMAs
>finishes projects

This website is not for making the news, having visitors, or even finishing projects. It's literally an imageboard that's simply made for discussion.
>>
>>55398970

Echo chamber for the node.js/devops/start-up/web devs crowd.
>>
really tired of all the JS crap on HN I see.

should make a greasemonkey script to block all mentions of it, for the ultimate irony
>>
>>55400566

I have a longtime suspicion that stackoverflow is just a glorified Yahoo answers section, but with pooinloos instead of underage b& and dindus.
>>
File: 1388709017916.png (687 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1388709017916.png
687 KB, 612x612
>>55400511

This SJW meme needs to fucking die.

Seriously.

Find a single sjw thread on the front page of HN right now. You fucking can't, so stop parroting this shit.
>>
>>55400485
>never makes the news
That's a very good thing
>never has visitors/AMAs
Because it's anonymous. AMAs and “visitors” are for websites designed to inflate egos, which this website does the opposite of.
>never finishes projects
/g/ browsers finish plenty of projects, you just don't see about it on /g/ because they discuss and host the projects elsewhere. /g/ is for discussion - it's neither a bug tracker nor a repository nor a mailing list.
>>
>>55400617
Eh, it depends. You get garbage replies to garbage questions. But you get interesting replies to interesting questions more than often enough.

I'd say my hit/miss ratio on stackoverflow threads being interesting is pretty damn satisfactory - but that's probably biased by the fact that I only look at threads that I'm personally searching for. (And I wouldn't search for garbage such as >>55400566, I'd check the man page)

Also, I'm personally not sure why people make such a big deal about newbies marking the “wrong” answer as “accepted” - if you're smart enough to care about the quality of answers, you're smart enough to read past the first comment. The only valid reason I see for people to be whining about it is if they want their ego boost for getting shiny points that nobody cares about.
>>
>>55400617

SO is a pretty useful site, but sometimes I swear the chosen answer is the most complicated way of doing a task.
>>
HN to me is like a glass of water.
It's just... there.
>>
>>55400674
a lot of man pages are really long and awkward to search through because you do not know the exact words you are looking for
>>
>>55398792
Your mom's bedroom.
>>
>>55400730
Well in this case, just searching “man wget” for “error” gave me this option faster than that person probably needed to log in to SO and type that question, let alone wait for a reply.
>>
>>55400820
I did not know to search for error, I searched for 404 and did not find anything appropriate
>>
>>55399011
What's wrong with ars?
>>
>>55400894
>What's wrong with a paid apple mouthpiece that bans half its userbase for calling them out on censoring apple criticism
>>
>>55400826
But why search for 404? That doesn't make sense. 404 is just one specific error, but it could also be 403 or 500 or whatever else...

Maybe I'm just too autistic for this, idk.
>>
>>55400894

Ars pretty much like any other big media outlet, they've blatant shill pieces.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/parting-the-clouds-how-open-source-economies-of-scale-and-hybridity-are-changing-it/
>>
>>55400915
And aside from that? I never click on the aplel news.
>>
>>55400997
>oh, hey look! they are promoting something.
>>
>>55401045
promoting is shilling, lurk more
>>
>>55399948
If you understood more of what they're talking about you would see why it's shit. For a "tech" community there are far to many HN posters who don't actually know shit about tech, especially if its outside of their immediate domain.

Also, HN has way too much non tech shit make the front page. I'm pretty left leaning myself but the liberal group think expressed on any non tech subject is cringe inducing.

>muh guaranteed income

I'm glad it exists though, "we act like HN" is comedy gold here on /g/.
>>
>>55401443
>"we act like HN" is comedy gold here on /g/
Haven't seen one of these in a while, that and XDA, forums, etc..
>>
https://www.komando.com/
>>
>>55400367
the same could be said for /g/, even more so probably
>>
>>55399011
>Ars is worse.

Dont remind me

>We dont do in depth articles about cpu architectures anymore because they are all the same now XD

Dropped that shit then and there
>>
If HN and /g/ were in a coding competition, I'd choose HN
>>
>>55401577
Most of /g/ doesn't hold delusions of grandeur. Everyone knows /g/ is shit.
>>
File: Tribesascend.png (572 KB, 972x936) Image search: [Google]
Tribesascend.png
572 KB, 972x936
>>55401612
i would choose /g/ desu fampai
>>
>>55401443
There is some decent anti-homelessness discussion here, which I think is not super left-leaning.

https://news ycombinator com/item?id=12026864

But honestly about the minimum income thing... We're gonna keep automating shit, so jobs will continue to go away, but people are going to keep having kids. So what do you expect people to actually do to earn a living? Minimum income is basically a human rights issue
>>
>>55401612
99% of the current HN userbase are business degree Pajeets that think they're the next Steve Jobs. I wouldn't be confident in either.
>>
>>55401669
>So what do you expect people to actually do to earn a living?
I expect rich people to hire security and the poor to starve.
>>
>>55401683
can't wait for the class warfare on the streets
>>
>>55400627
There aren't necessarily SJW threads on the front page all the time but any topic that is even remotely political ends up being a liberal circlejerk. The threads about the github diversity initiatives have been pretty entertaining. I used to participate more on HN but over the last year or two I've noticed more people are downvoting comments they disagree with rather than those that are off topic. You'll see this in any threads relating to diversity or inclusion.

I was also somewhat surprised that any topic discussing HFT/algo trading immediately turns political with a very obvious bias despite the posters not have a good grasp of market mechanics. There are 3-4 posters including myself on HN whom I know have worked in quant/HFT but I no longer post in any thread discussing finance. It's just too much work to type out detailed explanations for a crowd of idiots.

There was also a great thread after a SpaceX barge landing that was almost entirely taken up by Europoors being butthurt about the USA chants coming from the SpaceX employees. I found that entertaining considering I work there and was born in a dirt poor Eastern bloc country.
>>
File: klabnik.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
klabnik.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>55401725
I'm surprised PG hasn't curbed this behavior since he's a pretty diehard libertarian that tends to hate liberal weaklings and big government.

It's also amusing to see a lot of people freak out about Dark Enlightenment politics when they allow Klabnik and his Rust minions to post communist garbage pretty regularly.
>>
>>55401669
I read somewhere that minimum income means no welfare state, and if people spend all their money in garbage, they won't get any help until the next paycheck is given to them
>>
>>55401655
>no mention of br sniper with 200+ ping

Shit version of that image
>>
>>55401669
I agree with what you're saying and in fact I'm probably fairly aligned with a large part of the HN crowd politically but I still don't like the circlejerk aspect of the community. I'm perfectly capable of disagreeing with someone and still believing their argument has merit and is well stated. I've seen tons of comments that I disagreed with but that I thought added substantively to the topic get downvoted to hell. At this point HN seems like a slightly more intelligent reddit, which isn't saying much.

Any topic involving gun control also brings out the downvotes which is surprising to me given the overwhelming support for free speech, drug legalization, privacy, anonymity, and encryption that the community expresses.

The HFT/quant and SpaceX threads in particular have been eye opening to me since those are topics I understand quite well.

>>55401766
Agreed. Moderation overall seems really spotty to me. I see tons of meaningless drive by comments get a pass simply because they express opinions shared by the community. I will say that the one thing spending time on both HN and reddit has taught me is despite all the low quality bait posted on 4chan, it still offers something unique and valuable compared to those other communities.
>>
>>55401649
>>55401785
>>
>>55401881
why don't you go to >>>/v/ for high-quality dadaism?
>>
>>55401900
>SpaceX threads in particular have been eye opening to me since those are topics I understand quite well.

How so?

Is it the typical spacex fanboy stuff?

I never bother to check them because I just assume thats the case
>>
>>55401858
>means
lemme fix this:
>might translate as...
I'd prefer to give food and housing directly to people. minimum income will be taken advantage of by the typical amoral marketing man, and will raise inflation.
meanwhile, giving housing, food, medicine, education and even some amount of energy, water and internet to people would mean they don't get to waste money. the sad part is that, as I understand things, capitalism (or perhaps the current flavor) works by "moving money", the highest the sum, the better, no matter, in which case, big welfare states would be shown as relatively "poor", simply because the state does the distribution instead of private companies.
>>
>>55401669
In 1900 90%+ of americans worked in agriculture, the world did not end with the invention of the tractor, and it will not end with automated mcdonalds either. Ubi cannot work until we have unlimited resources/energy and even then we will be limited by how much living space exists on the planet. Without global ubi any country that offered it would colapse under the flood of migrants.
>>55401858
Thats how it will start, but then people will squander their money and then its right back to "what about the children?" " Should we just let people starve to death?" And then it all comes rushing back.
>>
>>55401858
There are differing views on exactly what guaranteed/minimum income actually entails. I would be pretty support of a scheme that guarantees income through taxation but eliminates a large portion of the welfare state.

I've noticed that on HN guaranteed income increasingly means everyone gets money for existing but we also keep the vast majority of the welfare state since people tend to be absolute retards. I personally don't think you can have both.

>>55401951
I haven't noticed blatant fanboyism on the SpaceX threads that much, although people tend to be excited about anything space related in general so you may call that being a fanboy. In fact I think lots of HN posters have a fairly critical view of Musk and the work environment at SpaceX/Tesla.

With that being said I don't need some out of work Spanish programmer telling me I'm being taken advantage of by the cult of Elon. I'm perfectly capable of deciding on my own whether my compensation is appropriate for the work I do here.

I wrote this comment as well:
>>55401725
>There was also a great thread after a SpaceX barge landing that was almost entirely taken up by Europoors being butthurt about the USA chants coming from the SpaceX employees. I found that entertaining considering I work there and was born in a dirt poor Eastern bloc country.

Who knew a simple chant would get those sensitive motherfuckers so toasty.
>>
>>55402094

But most of its programmers talking about spacex, yea? Are there any aerospace types who actually post in those threads?

But pretty funny to see euros getting booty ravaged over a usa chant. I wonder if musk being SA makes them rage more?
>>
>>55402135
>But most of its programmers talking about spacex, yea?
Mostly yes. I know there are a few SpaceX software devs on HN. I used to be more active, although I'm not a programmer, and I've run into AeroE types on there before. I try to stay clear of any SpaceX threads now since they usually take place around launch time which means I'm busy anyway, there isn't a whole lot I can add to the discussion without potentially divulging info I shouldn't, and I no longer want to spend my time correcting the retarded assumptions of out of work programmers.
>>
>>55402135
>But pretty funny to see euros getting booty ravaged over a usa chant. I wonder if musk being SA makes them rage more?
Forgot to add that yes, this is indeed hilarious. It's pretty funny seeing them get asshurt about ITAR as well.

Someone on HN summed things up well. HN is were dumb people go to act smart while /g/ is were smart people go to act dumb. I know there is quite an overlap between the communities, despite what people say, and this seems at least partially accurate.
>>
>>55398970
Boring bullshit posted non-stop, loads of SJW devs in many of the stories and threads
>>
>>55401669
> we keep automating shit
> so things get cheaper
> so people don't really need much money
> so they don't need regular jobs to earn a living
>>
>>55398792
>>55398951
Hi. Terry Davis here. I bet you're CIA niggers trying to ruin my livestreams. So what if it's just me refreshing slashdot, hacker news, and Physics Girl's youtube channel (thanks for not bullying her in this thread).
>>
>>55402194

Figures. I post on some aerospace forums that have a good number of current/ex aerospace engineers and their take on spacex is generally quite different than your typical compsci geek into spacex.

>>55402253

Yeah, and the russians hate it too.

But I bet most of the euros crying about it are the 'nationalism is bad!' types. The russkies may try and claim its not about bruised egos, but at least they aren't pretending to be non-nationalist.
>>
>>55399146
>Privacy Policy
>This is the Internet, you have no privacy.

Why would anyone use such a site? Looks only slightly less spam filled than HN, but the users still appear to be mostly normies.
>>
>>55402427
I'm obviously not an objective source since I quite enjoy working here but you should always be wary of opinions about a particular company coming from those who haven't worked there. That goes for whether those opinions are favorable or not.

You should also take anything most engineers, particularly aerospace engineers, have to say with a huge grain of salt since they tend to be fairly complacent and enormously entitled in my experience.

>>55402427
>are the 'nationalism is bad!' types
Exactly this. The Russians are actually pretty based. They are nationalistic af but at least they tend to be realists. Realism and rationality tend to breed a healthy mutual respect even against your "enemy".

The Euros on the other hand are so smug they've lost all sight of how the world works. Plus, the Russians at least have a healthy appetite for risk.
>>
>>55401725
>I've noticed more people are downvoting comments they disagree with rather than those that are off topic

A few years ago, it was considered poor form to downvote without commenting as to why. Now you just get downvoted to hell with zero explanation and no chance to refute their opinions.
>>
>>55403862
Exactly this. They should either revamp the downvote system or just do away with this false notion that downvotes should be reserved for off topic posts or those that don't add to the discussion.

At this point the downvote system is used the same way it is on reddit, to hide posts you disagree with. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that and perhaps its too much to ask of a community to be able to grow while still remaining civil but if that's the case then HN should drop the "we're better than other online communities" rhetoric.
>>
File: 1467609290648.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467609290648.jpg
431 KB, 1920x1080
>>55398792
>Literally posted the best tech site

KYS imo
>>
>>55398792
HN is still the best if you ignore the leftist bullshit.
>>55400208
Someone needs to write a filter for it. I'd fucking *pay* your fucking startup to remove "queer Muslim transwomen in tech" stories from my feeds.
>>
>>55398792
I disagree with calling /g/ a "tech site"
Maybe sometimes there's some slightly technology related shitposting.
>>
>>55401766
>>55401725
The sizable minority of an-caps, right-libertarians, reactionaries, etc. on has recently become more vocal. In recent Urbit threads those who tried to stir up shit based on the founder's politics were promptly shut down. See also: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11018019. sea also (2x): https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=yummyfajitas. This guy's whole comment history is hella fun to read.
>>
>>55398792
https://bitcointalk.org/
>>
>>55405523
It's funny you brought up yummyfajitas, he's one of my favorite posters. When I mentioned in one of my comments above that there are only 3-4 posters who can be reliably expected to post on HFT/quant finance with a high level of knowledge and objectivity he was one of those I had in mind.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.