[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you good at math, /g/? I'm not that good, I think I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13
File: TPJj15Q.png (144 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
TPJj15Q.png
144 KB, 600x500
Are you good at math, /g/?

I'm not that good, I think I fell behind when I was in middle school.
>>
really bad, forget basic stuff all the time. but with persistence it's fun and rewarding.
>>
>>55398650
I'm good enough to pass my classes.

All that really matters.
>>
>>55398732
Same here, unfortunately I forget everything I've learned after I pass the class
>>
File: 1467423265548.jpg (32 KB, 556x420) Image search: [Google]
1467423265548.jpg
32 KB, 556x420
I'm not smart but people think i am hahahahahahaha
>>
>>55398650
What do you need help with anon? Calc 1?
>>
>>55398650
CS student here. I'm pretty into the CS-related mathematics, but I'm not that great at e.g. real analysis.
>>
>>55398650
If it's not a fuckton of shit anon, post it and I'll see what I can do for you.
>>
I'm good in theory, but I have a friend who's REALLY into math (still does lots of international competitions) who makes me feel completely retarded.
>>
>Early school
>Haha, this is so easy, it's just putting numbers together, and division is just the opposite.
>Late school
Huh, why do I have to move these numbers around? How do I know the area when I don't know these edge lengths? How do I convert this fraction without a calculator? Fuck maths
>Post-school
>Woah, this theoretical stuff is really awesome, I want to dig deeper. Math rules!
>>
>>55398650
was hailed as some sort of math prodigy in grade school so they stuck me in high school level math which sucked all motivation out of me.
Why the fuck would you 'reward' a kid who is good at work you're giving him with harder work instead of, you know, like, a pizza party or ice cream or somethin?
Now I'm fuckin retarded at math because I refused to do anything but bare minimum work from grade school onwards.

I used to read the dictionary and medical encyclopedias when I was in like 1st/2nd grade too. I stopped giving a shit about trying at anything after realizing we're all just going to die anyways so I just shoot for mediocrity and skate through life in as little effort as I can manage.
>>
File: 1466723548051.jpg (64 KB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
1466723548051.jpg
64 KB, 720x552
>>55399280
>I could but i don't feel like it
lmao sure kid
>>
>>55398650
yes
>>
i was until i got into college. then i had terrible teachers for some of the math courses, didn't focus on the material and did the bare minimum to pass. the math subjects where i had good teachers i was still good at (though not exceptional like some of the turbonerds here try to imply they are)
>>
File: 0007.gif (24 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0007.gif
24 KB, 128x128
>>55399280
>so I just shoot for mediocrity and skate through life in as little effort as I can manage.
That is what the really smart people do. Congratulations.
>>
>>55398650
Great with math and numbers. I'll fail every test though. Something about tests always fucks me up and I can't concentrate, especially in a room full of people. Feels like they're watching me.
>>
>>55399133
>>55399180
No, I'm not taking any math courses at the moment. Although I might in the future as I was thinking about studying something tech related at college, so I imagine I'd have to take calc 1 at the bare minimum.

I was honestly just wondering if you guys, and most people in tech or interested in tech are actually competent in math or not.
>>
>>55400503
only in what they use day to day
>>
>>55400668
That makes sense since it's not really theoretical.
>>
used to thought i was good at math, taking thermo2 and turns out im fucking retarded.
everyone else in class seems to know what to do but me.
>>
File: ss.jpg (9 KB, 326x320) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
9 KB, 326x320
>likes technology
>cant into math
>>
>>55398650

Fuck off frogposter
>>
i know many of these feels
>tfw 30 on ACT yet had to work my ass off junior and senior year to graduate with a 3.0
I was such a pitiful lazy cunt in early hs. at some point i stopped being a fat depressed cunt and realized i could put in very slightly more effort and get near-straight As
i don't know if it'll be this easy in the future
>>
>>55401628
fuck meant to reply to >>55399280
>>
>>55398650
http://khanacademy.org/
It's never too late to go back to basics.
>>
>>55401250
/g/ is full of CS majors, not Electrical/Computer Engineers anon. What do you expect?
>>
File: images-72.jpg (23 KB, 464x317) Image search: [Google]
images-72.jpg
23 KB, 464x317
>>55399280
Holy shit, are you me?? I never cared for grades because teachers are stupid, everyone thought I was a deadend dropkick while I was busy teaching myself the things that interest me.
>>
>>55399280
this
>IQ of 154 at 16
>school gets professors from local uni to make up undergrad level work and send it to me
>everyone's saying i'm smart and shit, as a result i become kind of an outcast
>slowly give up because i can see how everyone else is acting and what's waiting ahead
>never graduate HS
>professor actually finds me and knocks on my front door to try and get me to come and study
>say no and leave
>fuck off, study what i want, do what i want

my grand achievement in life is managing to understand how the game of society works to the point of giving up and skating along without going through a meaningless grind

i just have a few friends, a dog, and a nice comfy house within an hours drive of the ocean. it's a nice life. i'd try to help society and start a business or something but it's too much pain for something that'll get ignored and hated for decades.
>>
>>55398650
shit at math, currently have my associates degree in network engineering and am pursuing a bachelors in cyber security and am currently taking technical mathematics with calculus right now, I took it during the summer for it to be 5 weeks instead of 10, and my final is next week and I have a 91 in the class, it's not bad at all. I go to a technical college so they make shit pretty reasonable.
>>
>>55402752
IQ goes down with age btw
>>
>>55402805
ye i had a test at 23 and it went down to 145
>>
>>55400503
Learn about sets, set notation and matrices. Calc 1,2,3 and stats are also important. In some cases differential calculus. bar that everything else is worthless. If you need more then you're a math major cuck
>>
>>55398650

I'm really good at physics and differential equations. I only got by in the calc series. For some reason I really struggle when there's no application or when it's just abstraction. Think I'd be past that by now, but nah.
>>
>>55399280
>>55399842
>>55402402
>>55402752
I know how you're feeling.

I was, like you, raised with parents who treated me like a special snowflake. I was, like you, the kid who got perfect grades in all of my classes throughout all of school. I was valedictorian of my high school class. Then I got to college and I realized suddenly that there is always somebody smarter once you get into the real world.

Unlike you, I didn't pretend that I had discovered that the secret of life is "don't try because hur dur society", and I certainly didn't pretend this was why I wasn't discovering a cancer cure or inventing new ground-breaking technologies.

I knew some kids like you in high school. "Yeah, I'm failing all of my classes, but that's just because I don't try." One of my best friends was like that. He studied himself up on trivial info so he could spurt it out at random times and pretend to be superior, then when he'd get destroyed on tests, he'd say, "I just don't take it seriously. This doesn't matter, anyway."

Admit it. School got harder, you got rekt, so you settled for pretending that you "could but don't want to."

Your posts are the cringiest and edgiest things I've read all day, and I literally had some underage faggot on IRC try to tell me a dead baby joke earlier.
>>
>>55403014
>Hey let me tell you how your life's going and educate you on how your most secret feelings and desires are bullshit and you're lying to yourself

Alright senpai, you go and live your life and I'll live mine. I gave up on caring about what people think about me years ago and I'm happier for it, I suggest you do the same.
>>
File: mysideswherehavetheygone.gif (1 MB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
mysideswherehavetheygone.gif
1 MB, 300x238
>>55403095
>proves my point with the "I don't care because I know the secret" meme he uses to make himself feel better
>>
>>55403140
>proves my point
I don't see what your point is. I'm a failure because I didn't spend my entire childhood slaving away over theory when I just wanted to live a decent quiet life?

I have a nice life, I'm happy with it. Who are you to tell me I'm a failure when I wake up, do what I want to do, then go to bed?

IMO from your posts it sounds like you're going through the same struggle everyone did during their late 20s and you're struggling to justify your choices and lashing out as a result.
>>
File: images-56.jpg (37 KB, 380x387) Image search: [Google]
images-56.jpg
37 KB, 380x387
>>55403014
Bitch please, I make bank programming while the A+ students are still stuck working at McDonald's. There's no special "secret", some of us just have the curiosity and ambition to teach ourselves, we don't need no jewish education system to tell us what to think. You're just another jealous wage slave, stay mad.
>>
File: 1461314829017.jpg (456 KB, 774x1119) Image search: [Google]
1461314829017.jpg
456 KB, 774x1119
>>55399240
I'm doing a PhD in applied mathematics and I know this feel.

I did my undergrad in theoretical physics and started moving towards more maths and less physics as a postgraduate. But then I started teaching some pure maths undergrad skiddies and they made me realise I was not cut out for pure mathematics so now I'm doing applied math and it's comfy af atm.
>>
Pretty good. Then again, I'm a physicist and should be.
>>
>>55399244
>>55398650
Can I pass CS math classes without knowing math from school?
>>
>>55399280
it's good that you learned this early. people will work you until you bleed if you let them. that's why you don't out yourself as better at anything unless you can handle being hated.
>>
>>55399280
>was hailed as some sort of math prodigy
Self-proclaimed prodigy
>they stuck me in high school level math which sucked all motivation out of me
was lazy and not actually that good at math
>Why the fuck would you 'reward' a kid who is good at work you're giving him with harder work instead of, you know, like, a pizza party or ice cream or somethin?
and then blames others.
>Now I'm fuckin retarded at math because I refused to do anything but bare minimum work from grade school onwards.
Please take ownership and responsibility of your own failure and inadequacy.
>I stopped giving a shit about trying at anything after realizing we're all just going to die anyways so I just shoot for mediocrity and skate through life in as little effort as I can manage.
Excuses: stop convincing yourself you were a special snowflake ruined by others and actually actively towards being successful.
>>
>>55398650
How much math do you need to make a video game?
>>
I'm meh, but I figured out that with visual information, i actually understand whats going on.

Khan Academy is a Godsend.
>>
i wasn't great at proofs, but everything else is super easy for me
>>
>>55404383
ruined by others? I never said that?
I'm pretty successful (in my opinion) with a well paying job. People just stress themselves out so much trying to compete with others and 'be the best' and I don't understand that need/drive.

>>55403014
I didn't say I discovered the secret to life nor did I say that I stopped trying because of society. I'm under the impression that you think I'm unhappy with where I'm currently at in life; I'm pretty comfortable at the moment.

>>55402402
I never thought my teachers were stupid. I just wasn't all that interested in what they were teaching.

>>55402752
I'm not a huge fan of the beach or ocean oddly enough even though I'm a 5 minute walk away. I'd rather be in a dense forest with regular heavy rainfall in a cabin. I honestly just want to make eroge for a living but the money just doesn't compare to my current job.
>>
>>55399280
>>55402402
>>55402752
Going to school, with retards like you fucking sucked.
>Lel not even trying
>I took onllie iq test it said 300
>shitty teachers
>nobody understands me
But anon alot of people get just as good grades as you, some even better.
>Not as smart as me
>im unique
Kill yourselves
>>
>>55404186
CS majors have to take at least Calculus I, so you're fucked without trig and algebra. Discrete math you could probably struggle through. Linear algebra without algebra skills, well good luck with that too.

So, no.
>>
I used to think I was terrible at math, then I went back to highschool and did all the math I was too lazy to do first time around. I'm usually near the top of the class in the more applied math courses. Taking math courses for math majors makes me feel retarded though. Some of those kids are freaky good.
>>
>>55404729
This.

I am studying Comp Sci / Security and literally learned everything about math from Khanacademy + Stewards Precalculus. I had D/F at school and now passed my first math class top of the class.
>>
>>55404808
I thought I was a pretty chill dude in school. I mainly enjoyed talking about Doom and wad creation while at school.
I've never taken an online iq test (what's even the point?) and, again, I never said my teachers were shitty. I only had one teacher that sucked but that was just because she was a very mean-spirited angry person who yelled at everybody.
I'm not sure how you're reading that I think people are not as smart as I am from anything I wrote in my post.
>>
I was in advanced classes starting second grade. My district is ranked second to last and has been for 30 years. We are only number one (as a county) in methamphetamine production (not per capita and we are a small town). I got to middle school and got a bitch of a teacher. Gave a test of 60 questions as one part of a qualifier to get into advanced HS. I answered 45 questions in the time allotted and got 89%. One chick answered 3 questions and got 100%. One other qualifier was teacher recommendation. She didn't approve me because my percentage wasn't as high. This is one of literally dozens of examples from several teachers. I was pissed and gave her the worst semester ever (my friends and I anyway). I hated authority after that and would fail in direct proportion to how much "potential" the teachers told me I had. The weed and whiskey weren't far behind...

Looking back I see that I should have continued and not let the system get me down. I fucked up my Fin Aid but was still able to do PSEO which balanced it out. I am a 4th year college student with 2 years of credits still trying to learn how to be a good (obedient) student.

Others went to ROTC and are now graduating (some in grad school) while I am still at community college. I have social anxiety now and have been diagnosed with major depression which dates back to my first suicide attempt at 12. Not a joke. I tried to pull a splitting maul down on my neck to chop my head off because I was fat.

Have had girlfriends but I cannot reciprocate any affection so no one stays. The whiskey stays. My personality has also begin to split, and the triple stack anti-psych/anti-deps/anti-anxiety leave me feeling like a robot.

It really started with that teacher though. My self esteem was shattered and my future was set. It is my fault, I accept that now. I should have been stronger then.

Haven't told anyone this. Sorry for the blog.
>>
>>55398650
No, never did calculus or anything beyond grade 10 because I dropped out.
>>
>>55404912
lmao kill yourself
>>
>>55404808
I didn't get good grades because I was too busy teaching myself about the things I'm passionate about (mainly piano, programming and chemistry) and didn't have time for school. I don't claim to be a special snowflake, school just didn't interest me because I'm a total sperg and I hate people. I didn't even show up to exams half the time, so don't make assumptions about me you little cheeky cunt.
>>
I was strangely good at math once I got past basic algebra. Now I work in a warehouse doing monkey-work though. Being good at math means little to nothing. You'll do fine at life as long as you listen to the advice successful people give you.
>>
File: 1466805604681.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1466805604681.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
>>55398650
I have a Bsc Mathematics level. It's been a month since my last exam. At best I could probably remeber 2/3 of what I knew a month ago.
>>
>>55404912
Get off the anti-psychs bro, my life got infinitely better when I told my shrink to go fuck herself and stopped taking them. They completely dull your sense of curiosity and wanderlust, being a seroquel/lithium zombie totally sucks...
>>
I'm in the same position as you. I was in Honors Math in 6th but I think I did too poorly to get put in it again in 7th. Sucks because if you were in Honors Math in 8th you got to skip Algebra in high school and go straight to Geometry.

A month or two ago I was trying to remember how to do long division and realized I hadn't done it since middle school, since higher level math classes had us using graphing calculators. Sometimes I wish I was better at math, but currently it's not really necessary. I can do simple math pretty quickly, at least.
>>
>>55404383
>Self-proclaimed prodigy
Not him, but most people who tell stories like him actually were told they were smart at a young age, and whether they really were or not doesn't really matter. I think the moral of these stories is that this unnecessary praise at a young age actually does a lot of mental harm and turns people into demotivated slackers. I had something similar to him happen and it just made me stop caring about anything.
>>
>>55401636
I think about doing this a lot. It sounds tedious to do a lot of review, but I'm also sure I need it, and there's of course the chance that someone else will teach it better than my schools did, or that I'll understand it better now.
>>
>>55403014
>then when he'd get destroyed on tests, he'd say, "I just don't take it seriously. This doesn't matter, anyway."
You're confusing two types of people here, the lazy smart types always do well on tests. It's not about effort, it's just an info dump. If you literally just show up to class and stay awake (you can even fall asleep every now and then), you should be able to pass any test a school will give. Maybe you won't get an A like the kids who studied at home, but you shouldn't fail any test if you were actually there and aren't an idiot.
>>
>>55405017
Afraid to go that route entirely because I now care for my niece and nephew. I am trying to become spiritual and meditate but if I have to live as a zombie to hold a job and support my brothers kids then I will. Cannot chance fucking anything up.

These meds just make you feel worse so you get more meds. Just exhausted all the time
>>
>>55405017
I'm all for people not relying on meds that fuck them up but if he's actually on seroquel or lithium he's probably pretty fucked up and needs it. Had a friend who lost his shit and started carving things into the walls and tweeting absolute gibberish. He got put on lithium after another friend dragged him to a mental hospital and now he acts pretty normal again.
>>
File: 1380238655395.jpg (33 KB, 368x348) Image search: [Google]
1380238655395.jpg
33 KB, 368x348
I've always been bad at math. I guess it was due to my mom always yelling at me when ever i got problems wrong. Because of that I just always hated doing it and now im in constant fear of getting problems wrong. When i get it i get it but then my teachers introduce some new shit that sends me back to step one. I failed my pre-calc final but i managed to pass the class with a C. Bros should I continue to take stats&probs or go through regular calc? I heard that it becomes easier after pre-calc but you guys seem to have a lot more experience with this. I want to major in CS btw.
>>
>>55405092
I personally always shot for Bs and would occasionally get an A which was a happy bonus that would brighten my day up. I spent most of class napping so I could be alert for the classes that actually interested me like english lit and history. Coincidentally I actually got my ass handed in those classes even though I spent most of my time studying for them.
>>
>>55405136
I never liked calc much but had a blast in statistics. Give it a shot, you might be surprised.
>>
>>55405163
To clarify, even though calculus is used in statistics, I felt that I could apply statistics to real world situations and get useful results more readily which was interesting to me.
>>
>>55405101
I know the feeling, I was scared to stop taking them, I didn't want to have a mental breakdown and not be able to work... I also found it hard to sleep without them, so I kept taking more of them because even though they made me feel like shit at least I could get a decent nights sleep... Eventually the drugs started to make me shake uncontrollably, it felt like my body was protesting against the drugs so I took a break from work and slowly weaned myself off them. It was fucking hard, but it was totally worth it. Anyways, that's my sob story!
>>
i was in those "gifted" programs in elementary.
not a genius , but above average.

i ended up getting a 6% overall grade in algebra II my sophomore (highschool) year, which progressed into F's in all classes .

No child left behind lol.
>>
>>55405305
>i ended up getting a 6% overall grade in algebra II my sophomore (highschool) year, which progressed into F's in all classes .

Care to elaborate? That means you scored pretty low in Algebra II and because of that you had F's in all classes?
>>
I'm pretty good at math but forgot most things over the course of three years.
>>
>>55405305
You could have had the best teachers in the world and you would still be a lazy failure. What good is being gifted if you don't put any effort in? You were left behind because you were lazy — simple as!
>>
File: edein.jpg (6 KB, 176x286) Image search: [Google]
edein.jpg
6 KB, 176x286
>>55404976
Same, except I graduated several years ago. That's why I popped open an Abstract Algebra text & started reviewing it from chapter 1.

I found I'm actually learning more math now than I did as a math major and concepts I had shallow understandings of are now much deeper.

I'm planning to go back to get a MS & PhD in CS, so I'm now looking for connections in math to CS.
>>
>>55405136
Feels bad man, but sounds like you have a good attitude. Keep working at it and it will eventually start to click. Do some background reading too. I'm not talking about study, I mean read popular maths book by like Simon Singh, Ian Steward, Marcus De Sautoy. This will make you more interested in it and that really helps IMO. Start by watch "The Code" on YouTube — it's BBC documentary by Marcus De Sautoy on the history of mathematics.
>>
>>55408838
When I say "start to click" I mean seemingly different topics start to come together to be two sides of the same coin. It gets way easier when that starts happening. Attitude is key though :D
>>
File: 08206156.jpg (17 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
08206156.jpg
17 KB, 400x449
Same, ok-ishly smart in every other subject but had undiagnosed inattentive ADHD and sucked dick at math, would read dictionaries and medical encyclopedias as a little kid before video games in the internet

just getting by in a wagecuck grill cook job now
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.