[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1460218243163.jpg (226 KB, 670x400) Image search: [Google]
1460218243163.jpg
226 KB, 670x400
Previously on: >>55375546

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
>>55398389
pls
>>
>>55398457
bamp, anybody know how to add non-alphanumeric characters to the ubuntu hostname?
>>
>>55398667
May I ask for what purpose?
>>
>>55398682
I'd like to have a hostname in my native language
>>
What's the best way to have multiple XFCE configs that I can swap between? Should I write a script that exports and imports config files?
>>
>>55399024
multiple aliases that run the desired config
>>
File: Untitled.png (20 KB, 565x188) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
20 KB, 565x188
what do?
>>
>>55399375
Are you really expecting help?
>>
>>55399613
No
>>
>>55398599
Which of these three is the best terminal emulator: konsole, rxvt, or xfce-terminal.
>>
Does having two operating systems on a computer cut the resources in half too?

I've been using Debian for a long time now, but
I'd like to game a little now too. Will installing Bangblows 7 slow down my computer?
>>
>>55399782
If you have kde then use konsole. If you have xfce then use xfce-terminal, if you have anything else, especially just a wm, then use urxvt.
>>
>>55399782
Whoops, meant to say four. I forgot about xterm.
>>
>>55399792
How is urxvt compared to xterm?
>>
>>55399791
Either learn to use a virtual machine, or dual boot. For dual-booting, backup your stuff somewhere, partition your drive, then install Windows. Windows will probably fuck up your boot record, and maybe your Debian install, so have a USB handy to reinstall that shit. You will only have one OS running at a time, so your only loss in resources is the space you're giving Windows.
Oh, and don't expect to access anything on a Linux partition from Windows. If you have files you want accessible from both OS'es, put them on a FAT32 - formatted partition.
>>
>>55399865
Better
>>
>>55399905
Alrighty, I'll make urxvt my default terminal since /g/ likes it and I've heard a lot of praise about it being good and stable and whatnot.
>>
File: Introduction to SSH.png (505 KB, 1304x2920) Image search: [Google]
Introduction to SSH.png
505 KB, 1304x2920
Someone asked a relevant question in the previous thread
>>
>>55399782
termite
>>
Any recommended distros for my wife?

She's been using elementary and likes the simplicity, and the look & feel of the os. Only problem is it's a buggy piece of shit.

Looking for something *buntu based preferably, and ideally with a similar look and feel, particularly the app dock and single click file navigation like elementary.

Alternatively, any recommended DEs that I can easily modify to work like this, and I'll just modify a *buntu install.

Not familiar with this type of setup due to being an i3 user myself, but she likes it.
>>
good evening from Canada

I am trying to instaall a program called lynx the terminal browser to my school server its a supercomputer linux supercomouter.

i prefer dowbloading using an ftp cpient like filezilla, and i have the tar.gz file.
Anything would be helpful, thx.

How do i go about doing this ?
>>
>>55400047
extract the file
read the README or INSTALL file
>>
File: lo5dqNy.jpg (65 KB, 720x690) Image search: [Google]
lo5dqNy.jpg
65 KB, 720x690
Guys I have a question

Me and a relative both own T420 thinkpads. His is acting up, and we think it might be his hard drive. So I offered him to try booting off of my HDD to see if everything ran well or if his stuttering problems persisted.

But when we tried booting his laptop off of my HDD (plugged into his original HDD's slot), the boot select screen would just keep popping up instantly instead of booting into the drive's Debian installation.

Why might this be? And how can I get it to boot off of my HDD?

If it matters, both computers are using UEFI.

>>55399991
Debian w/GNOME should work fine. There's a gnome shell extension called Dash to Dock which does exactly what you'd expect it to do
>>
>>55399782
Depends. I'd use konsole or Xfce4-terminal
>>
>>55399991
plank
tint2
>>
>>55399782
gnome-terminal or stterm
>>
I can't get my IME to input Japanese. I already installed IBus and Mosc, and did all the locale crap, but it still isn't working. Yes, I already restarted.
>>
I just got Arch up and running, now what?
>>
>>55401569
Tell everyone about it.
>>
>>55401569
Realize you've done something for internet cred, slap yourself, tell yourself to never do it again, and then get on with your life. With or without Arch

And for the love of fuck don't be *that* guy. You know who I'm talking about.
>>
File: 1464733927057.png (309 KB, 504x398) Image search: [Google]
1464733927057.png
309 KB, 504x398
>>55400185
pls respond
>>
>>55399930
Neat. I was looking to get started with SSH. Thank you!
>>
>>55401569
pacman -Syyu
install pacaur
install xorg-server-common
install modprobed-db
install infinality(boomi repo or locally)
install linux-ck(graysky repo or locally)
install asd/psd
install spacefm
install termite
install mpv-build
install transmission
install dmenu2
install redshift
install tint2
install lrzip
install firefox-nightly and then harden it (https://gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5, https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/)
setup opennic for dns
>>
>>55401988
>harden it
Or just use GNU Icecat.
>>
>>55401988
What is all this?
>>
>>55402040
Things you should install.
>>
>>55402040
Oh boy.
>>
>>55398599
how to i do that thing in a console that shows os version and gives system specs? i cant for the life of me figure it out. i am using arch btw
>>
>>55402073
f-f-f-friendly pls
>>
>>55402082
Screenfetch
>>
>>55402082
You mean screenfetch? get it from github.
>>55402090
stuff for arch users
>>
>>55402090
If you wanted friendly, you probably shouldn't have gone with the distro that has the most elitist and pedantic community of them all
>>
>>55402130
The people that are the loud jackasses, are people that picked up on the meme, and have a vm of arch, so they can shit post as arch users, youll notice they always have shitty uptime only minutes before asking their question
>>
r8 my shittop
>>
Why are we so dead?
>>
How can I install my nvidia drivers on debian 8 without getting the black screen on reboot? I have read the wiki, and while I understand what is said, I am too scared to try anything bcz I already messed up once. So would any of you kind anons guide on the right steps to install these annoying drivers? I would greatly appreciate it.
Nvidia card is:

>Nvidia Corporation GT218M

Thanks in advance.
>>
Do I need to do any configuration of my SSD on GNU/Linux or is it safe to just install and forget? It won't bombard my SSD with superfluous writes, thinking it's a HDD, will it?
>>
>>55403144
Follow this guide.
https://linuxconfig.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-jessie-linux-8-64bit

That worked for me on a desktop. It shouldn't vary for laptop GPU's, I think.
>>
>>55403144
>>55403173
Also, if you're going to upgrade to testing or sid, you should probably do it now rather than later.

It might be that I was just unlucky, but I had a bad experience installing NVIDIA propietary drivers and then moving to testing afterwards.

But honestly I was kind of dumb at the time so maybe it was just me being scared and not knowing what to do when X didn't start.

TL;DR might be a good idea to upgrade to testing or sid right away and THEN installing video drivers (if you have intention of not using stable). But I admit that's akin to superstition on my part.
>>
>>55403173
>>55403203
I really appreciate your help. But from what I am reading from the comments, they get the black screen as well. Is the black screen a mandatory step? Or is it just them(me) being retards?
>>
Good or bad idea to install a new distro release as soon as it comes out?
>>
>>55403248
Oh goodness. Those comments weren't there when I did a few months ago, I can tell you that much.

I haven't executed the procedure recently, but I can tell you that when I tried it around March everything worked perfectly with that. No "black screen" (X not starting), no kernel errors, nothing of the sort. Just werked.

What I can tell you is that you should backup your personal data in case something goes nuclear (which it really shouldn't, but, you know - just to be on the safe side), and then follow the guide. And google around. Then follow the guide
>>
>>55403144
You're never going to go anywhere if you're "too scared" to touch your system.
Try things, if they dont work, un do them
>>
cut vs. uncut
>>
>>55403307
Uncut. Freedoms. You should be able to choose if you want it uncut or cut
>>
>>55403275
Aight man, I will read a bit more before installing it, to prevent "X" from not starting. Thanks a lot for the page tho, I really do appreciate it.

>>55403299
You are right man, I will do it. I will first do some research, then go balls deep into it. If worst comes to worst, I just need to reinstall debian(oh well).
>>
ubuntuMATE 16.04 master race reporting
>>
>>55403419
What's so great about MATE?
>>
>>55403580
It's GNOME 2, for people that don't want new things
>>
>>55398633
Are you putting your machine to sleep and it's unmounted when you wake the machine up?
>>
>>55399792
Are you lost? You need to take your common sense and level-headed rationality and get the fuck out.
>>
>>55399782
I've been using Rox-term with AwesomeWM and it's been great

http://roxterm.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=index&lang=en
>>
>>55399792

>if you have anything else, especially just a wm, then use urxvt.

Why? You can't even give any sane reasons, because you're an idiot parroting meme and myth "knowledge". You can use any terminal emulator within any environment.
>>
>>55399991

>is apparently an i3 user which implies has is beyond the "distributions are what you can see (looks)" mindset
>still asks that stupid question instead of just installing the desired environment on an ubuntu net-install
>>
>>55404267
>>55404283
this

>>55399792
>>55399991
"elite" linux users

btw,
>>55399999
>>55400000
>>
File: 1380134216455.png (434 KB, 571x540) Image search: [Google]
1380134216455.png
434 KB, 571x540
If I only plan on running one (let's really stretch it and say 2?) operating system, 100 MB on my EFI partition and 100 MB on my /boot partition with Ext2 file system is perfectly reasonable, right?
>>
can you install packages through your .emacs config somehow?
i.e i want to make a config file i can copy paste between computers without having to worry about downloading the right addons
>>
btrfs on debian for separate drives?
>>
>14.04 on my mac
>black screen bc graphic cards fuckup
>tried lots of stuff, but shit just boots to a black screen
>gonna reinstall tomorrow
>>
File: 1462396221478.jpg (13 KB, 247x243) Image search: [Google]
1462396221478.jpg
13 KB, 247x243
Hey guys, I'm trying out i3 on my Debian desktop. GNOME is my main DE here.

I have exclusively i3 on my laptop

I tried changing the icon pictures with lxappearance to Moka, which worked beautifully on my laptop - but on my desktop which also has GNOME installed, a few folder icons are still the ugly GNOME brown look. Why is that, and how can I fix it?

Rather disconcerting to have my laptop looking really nice and my desktop looking so awful
>>
What do?
Stock tipper 24 XFCE
>>
File: opposite.jpg (18 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
opposite.jpg
18 KB, 500x379
>>55399924
>>
>>55404751

You need to log out and log in again.
>>
>>55404798
I already did
>>
>>55399924

Every mainstream terminal emulator is stable. You should consider getting a integrity and your own opinions instead of just using everything that's "g approved".
>>
>>55404806

Why are you using lxappearance instead of the GNOME tweak tool or however it's called to change the settings?
GNOME stores some of its settings in dconf and lxappearance won't touch those.

Try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Moka'
>>
File: 1360123028923.jpg (18 KB, 349x368) Image search: [Google]
1360123028923.jpg
18 KB, 349x368
What is your favorite tiling window manager, and why? What makes it distinct to other tiling WM's?
>>
>>55404843
No sir, I think you're misunderstanding me

I am on my desktop, using i3. It also has GNOME installed, but I am not logged into it.

I am using lxappearance to change to the Icon theme "Moka", which works 100% on my laptop which only has i3 installed.

But on this desktop, there are some folder icons that are still GNOME, despite me having selected Moka on lxappearance WHILE logged into i3. This persists through reboots. It is to be expected that gnome-tweak-tools doesn't affect my i3 session nor my lxappearance affects my GNOME session. But why are GNOME icons appearing in my i3 when lxappearance is supposed to be using Moka only?
>>
>>55404843
>>55404751

Also: did you install the Faba icons? Moka doesn't have the directory or MIME type icons. It only has application icons.

>Faba is was designed with simplicity and compliance to icon standards in mind. Its purpose is to serve as a base icon theme to other themes (such as Moka). As such, Faba is only comprised of minimal set of icons for the system, select apps, folders, mimetypes, toolbars, etc.
https://snwh.org/moka
>>
>>55404862

>nor my lxappearance affects my GNOME session
Actually, I think lxappearance would affect GNOME, but only the GTK theme and icons. Your issue is most likely that you didn't install the accompanying Faba icon pack responsible for directory icons. Since it has no Faba theme to inherit, it's falling back to the Adwaita icons.
>>
>>55404888
Nevermind, this >>55404865 fixed my problem
I guess it was simpler than I thought. I must have installed Faba on my laptop as well and forgotten about it

But thank you for your attention
>>
Guys I think I fucked up. At work I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. We're required to change passwords every 3 months. When I started my job, I encrypted my swap and home partitions.

I changed the login password but that didn't change the decryption passwors. So I found this thread whose instructions I followed:
$ sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda5

> enter old password
> enter new password
$ sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda5

> enter old password

i did
$ sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda5
before and after each step. First I had one key in slot 0, then two different ones in slots 0 and 1 and then one in slot 1 (slot 0 was empty).
But now I can't decrypt the drive with either password. I was super careful typing the new password when changing it and trying to decrypt obviously, so I'm sure it's correct. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>55403824
No, it's running 24/7
Does mount have a log file somewhere?
>>
File: snapshot14.png (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
snapshot14.png
123 KB, 1920x1080
Should I be concerned that ibus-daemon is in lost and found?
>>
Any other Arch users Firefox no longer show the 'Data Choices' tab after a recent update?

The tab is there but just shows a blank page, no check boxes for the health reports etc
>>
File: 2016-07-04-10:23:10.png (35 KB, 906x411) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-04-10:23:10.png
35 KB, 906x411
>>55405235

It's a feature(tm).
>>
>>55405251
Ahh, i thought I had goofed somewhere in my config. Why on earth would they remove it? It pains me to think about switching to IceCat/Opera in the near future if Firefox keeps getting worse
>>
>>55405022
Correction: after adding the new key I did
sudo cryptsetup removeKey /dev/sda5
, obviously.

Pls help I need my pc.
>>
>>55405575
Correction: whatever command I used to remove the old one. You get the idea.
>>
>>55405520
Git gud and use about:config
also:
>even considering opera
>>
Looks like this is the Linux Online Customer Support thread.
Well, Pajeet, I was wondering if you could help me with something;

I'm trying to wrap my head around Linux audio. Would "Applications -> Pulseaudio -> ALSA -> Hardware" be a good way to explain it? I realize it's more complex than that, but what I'm asking is will this enable audio as the average user knows it, i.e "play media/application -> sound comes out". Do I NEED anything else? Do I not need any of the mentioned?
You don't need to spoonfeed me, but any pointers/tips for optimization and minimalism would help a lot. I've looked at a bunch of guides/explanations but they all speak in pretty general terms and there's no help to be found for mouthbreathers like me.

I'm running Openbox on Debian.
>>
>>55405777
Ok, it didn't take me too long to realize that I should look through the installgentoo wiki, and I found dmix.

Thanks for the help, everyone :^)
>>
>>55404283
>>55404301
I never claimed to be an 'elite' user.

This manjaro i3 distro I'm using is my first Linux, I've been using it for a while now. I chose it for screen real estate purposes on my aging, low resolution laptop.

>implying tiling wm is somehow 'elite'
>>
>>55400185
Thanks, dash to dock looks like it'll serve her purposes.

Is it theme-able? Aesthetics are important to her.
>>
>>55405218
Anything in lost + found is cause for concern. What FS, drive model, and how old?
>>
>>55404267
Moron. Of course you can, you are free to do what you like. If you want to download a few gigs of dependencies just to use a particular terminal then go for it.
Why is recommending urxvt parroting a meme about "knowledge"? It's not hard to use or set up. You sound a little bit insecure.
>>
>>55405218
yeah, a little.
Files in lost+found are files that got recovered from bad sectors during fsck
>>
>>55402743
kill yourself
>>
>>55407153
Friendly thread, kid.
>>
how do fix the weird ass emacs indent?
(i.e: one tab and + 1 space for some reason)
function()
{
//Do stuff
}
>>
>>55407187
not for attention whores
>>
As someone who installed his first distro three weeks ago and don't know the first thing about the complexities of software, how promising is Wayland looking right now? Is there a "stable" distro to run Wayland on or some way to help the developers out with reports, whilst still having a comfortable, casual experience?
I'm thinking of trying another distro as I haven't quite settled for one yet. I

This is what got me riled up for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
Is he talking shit or not?
>>
>>55407694
KDE neon Dev edition handles Wayland rather well. Given another week or 2, user edition should work just as well.
The problem is that software needs to be written to work with wayland (and weston finds new ways to shit itself, not exactly a good sign for the reference compositor) and there is a fuckton and a half of software people use, so these changes need to make their way through git with pull requests and shit, and then there's the fun of unmaintained software that no one wants to fork, learn the idiosyncrasies of, decipher shit documentation, and rewrite to use work with a new display server, all so they can use it with this thing that's been up and coming for like a decade.
>>
File: 1467590704732.png (501 KB, 1301x2873) Image search: [Google]
1467590704732.png
501 KB, 1301x2873
What chart should I make next to encourage newfriends to dig deep?
>>
>>55408211
did you already make other charts?
I'd like to see a "set up your own mail server" chart, but the possibilities are endless
>>
File: 1466633905381.png (2 MB, 2720x8048) Image search: [Google]
1466633905381.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
>>55408257
I made an arch install chart a long time ago and do NOT maintain any more. NOTE: I'm not the shitty apps guy

>>55408257
>Mail server
Okay, will do.
>>
>>55408211
this: >>55408257
additionally: all sorts of Linux security like selinux, apparmor, whatever,
>>
>>55408211
I'd love to see an easy overview about iptables.
>linux has no firewall, pls help
>>
>>55408302
Apparmor already comes with Ubuntu and SELinux already comes with Fedora.

If I make a chart I'd focus a bit more on Grsecurity and PaX. Thanks, point taken.

>>55408315
Sure. Ufw is much easier though.

Wow I thought people would hate me for no reason but so far so good. Already 3 in to-do list
>>
>>55408302
>Linux security
I'd LOVE to make that chart but basically here is my own pasta I post sometimes:

(I will make a guide on how to implement the pasta)

I believe in security through isolation. Due to the current state of technology you cannot avoid using dangerous closed source software and habits. However It's upto you how seriously you are going to take your security.
Although Privacy and Security are correlated, are completely different priority. Sometimes you actually want your privacy to be breached to a certain extent to be secure from malicious attackers.
Here are my security advices:

Install GNU/Linux. Have MAC or RBAC enabled. Don't log in as a root.
Only install the softwares from your distro's secure repo
Use the Grsec kernel with PaX patches.
Use uBlock origin. HTTPS everywhere, Disconnect and Decentraleyes.
Use a Secure DNS.
Never keep yourself logged into anything.
If you want to compromise your privacy, enable two phase log in, However please do not link your email IDs as "referential IDs". Just make sure one email ID does not trace back to the other one you got.
Use a password manager. Best way is to maintain own encrypted spreadsheet.
Never use flash.
Install and keep firewall enabled at startup.
Keep bluetooth and printer service disabled by default.
Never give your windows VM any network access.
Do not bank or shop online unless you really have to. NEVER INSTALL YOUR BANK'S APP IN YOUR PHONE.
Randomly change all your 16 digit passwords. Use your spreadsheet to keep track of it.
Analyse your data traffic to check for network tapping.
Always keep a mirror backup of your data. Create your own cloud storage if you are really serious.
Lastly, only visit trusted websites

Reminder that there are malwares can exploit your host file system. Bidirectional file and clipboard sharing should be handled with caution.

>Protip:
You cannot "download" or "install" security
>>
>>55408211
That screenshot rendering is the horror, other than that, thanks for your guides.
>>
>>55398599

Quick question about arch. I am running an ancient gt 530 video card and have the nvidia-noveau drivers installed. The vga port on the card is working fine and everything is displayed at the proper res, but the hdmi and dvi ports dont work at all. Any idea as to what could be causing this?
>>
I've got an old labtop and I'm thinking about modding it and make an reto vidya emulator machine.
What's the best distro for this that let me install different gamepad controllers without fuckong my head ?
>ib4 sorry for spaniard
>>
>>55404301
This
>>
>>55408731
Any
Go for debian for no particular reason
>>
My Antergos doesn't display my GPU in screenfetch though I have the drivers installed as well as the mesa drivers (Intel HD 4000).
Also there is a bit of screen tearing on Cinnamon. Are my drivers fucked? Tried a few things off the arch wiki but no luck.
>>
>>55409144
Update to screenfetch-dev from github.
Install compton. compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc
>>
>>55409208
Thanks for your answer. I have used compton before on xfce but on forums it says it doesn't work well with Cinnamon. I'll give it a shot anyway.
>>
>>55408668
anything?
>>
Quick question about creating partitions and inodes.
I have 3x 3TB drives in my NAS and created the partitions in a way so that only a small number (still about 3 million) inodes are created. This was somehow achieved through the use of the -T I think.
I got a new 4TB hard drive and want to use the same option, I had a look at the manpage and the mke2fs.conf and tried

mkfs.ext4 -m0 -T huge /dev/sdd1

but I still ended up with way too many inodes compared to my other drives

/dev/sdc1                                               2861696    46051  2815645    2% /var/data/sdc
/dev/sdd1 61048832 11 61048821 1% /var/data/sdd

Anyone know the right option or switch for this to recreate the low inode count?
>>
>>55409590
I'm an idiot, -T largefile4 has a higher inode ratio.
Solved.
>>
File: 1364134066011.gif (704 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1364134066011.gif
704 KB, 200x200
Guys I have a question regarding Debian.

I installed it on a Thinkpad using the LUKS over LVM method (meaning, I have an EFI partition, a /boot partition, and then a huge crypt partition which serves as the physical volume for LVM, which contains root, swap, and home)

Thing is, when booting up the computer, it shows GRUB fine, it loads the kernel just fine, and then when I get to the crypt screen I type in my passphrase and it accepts it. Everything fine.

But when it comes to the next step, /dev/mapper/ etc etc , clean etc eetc, I've noticed it just freezes sometimes. The cursor will stop blinking, or the screen will lose brightness and freeze there. I know for a fact the normal behavior is that the cursor stays and blinks on that stage for a few seconds, then the resolution changes and the same message appears but smaller due to the resolution change, and then it boots into my display manager.

I've tried to replicate it and pin it down to something, but I'm doing nothing different. Sometimes I'll boot the machine and it works, sometimes I'll boot it and it freezes on that stage of the process.

What can I do to diagnose and fix this?

Thanks very much
>>
i just installed dwm on ubuntu 16.04 by typing sudo apt-get install dwm

I can't find a config.h file anywhere. Do I need to build from source to have one?
>>
File: 1465618290976.jpg (98 KB, 1720x1720) Image search: [Google]
1465618290976.jpg
98 KB, 1720x1720
Turns out that linux' urandom function basically reads unreadable (hence random) transmissions, sent from the planet uranus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus). After some research about the topic, I was able to write a decoder for these messages. Turns out that the messages are actually send in the universal braille format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille).
If you're interested, here's the script:
# Decode transmissions from uranus.
# Decoding speed: 100 characters/transmission.
while :; do
printf "$(tr -dc '. ' < /dev/urandom | head -c 100)"
done
>>
>>55410133
Neat. Thanks anon
>>
>>55409920
Installing dwm via package manager makes no sense if you ask me. Just get the current source archive from suckless.org and follow the instructions there.
>>
>>55405218
what distro is that, anon?
>>
>>55410750
>distro
>>
>>55407077

No terminal emulator has "a few gigs" of dependencies. Even KDE's Konsole only needs around 100MB (assuming you literally have none of the libraries installed). For other choices it's even less (Xfce's, LXDE's, etc), less than 5MB.
>>
>>55408211

Ubij se.
>>
>>55399971
Cause it's the best
>>
File: 7vpLYVz.jpg (254 KB, 1440x1238) Image search: [Google]
7vpLYVz.jpg
254 KB, 1440x1238
Is it possible to copy my Linux installation over to another PC so i dont have go through the process of setting up everything I have again?
>>
>>55409834
anyone?
pls respond
>>
>>55411250
Clonezilla
>>
>>55411250
No, even if it's the same hardware you'd still have to fix shit
>>
File: jail-1287943_1280.png (86 KB, 1280x792) Image search: [Google]
jail-1287943_1280.png
86 KB, 1280x792
If I write some kind of program to download social network media, will I be jailed?
>>
>>55411356
that is wrong i copied my install to 3 different machines using clonezilla without having to fix a thing
>>
>>55411356
So aside from the hardware drivers is there any other problems?
>>
>>55411140
Sure son
>>
>>55411365
you might get banned from life?
>>
>>55411410
So, what did you do about udev rules?
>>
>>55411664
You mean, killed?
>>
>>55411583

>lxterminal 391.2 kB
>vte 1.2 MB; vte-common 2.0 kB
>total including dependencies: 1,5MB

>xfce4-terminal 1.4 MB
>vte 1.2 MB; vte-common 2.0 kB; hicolor-icon-theme 31.7 kB; libxfce4ui 1.5 MB, libxfce4util 699.4 kB; xfconf 856.1 kB
>total including dependencies: 5,5MB

>urxvt-unicode 3.1 MB
>libxft 163.8 kB; perl 51.9 MB; rxvt-unicode-terminfo 25.6 kB
>total including dependencies: 55MB

That's packaged for Arch.
>>
>>55411769
>perl
Why would a terminal need Perl as a dependency?
>>
>>55411712
yeah anon, otherwise known as CANCER.
>>
>>55411821

It uses perl for some features.
http://jbl.web.cern.ch/jbl/doc/urxvt/
>>
>>55411769
And?
>>
>>55411869

Did you really forgot what your point was? Your point was that urxvt is superior because it doesn't need "1,5 gigs" of dependencies like the other terminal emulators.
I showed you that other emulators need roughly the same or even less dependencies. Your urxvt isn't special in any case. You won't gain any benefit from using urxvt when you're using "just a WM" (which is a ridiculous claim by the way).
>>
>>55411916

>forget*
>>
>>55411916
I think you need to read the original question and comment. The point was to use what you have and if you don't have one then use one which is widely documented and feature rich.
So yeah, I'm kind of find it hard to follow your point.
>>
>>55401832
>You know what I'm talking about
Cept (You) don't know what ur talking about.
>>
>>55411916
>urxvt was to difficult to configure, therefore I'm just using whatever comes with my bloated DE
>>
>>55411849
OK, just that?
>>
>>55411769
>arch
found your problem
arch is packaging every lil shit into a single package with all features enabled

get a real distro, newfag
>>
>>55398928
Which is...?
>>
>>55411769
>apt-cache show rxvt-unicode-256color | grep Size
>Installed-Size: 2839
>Size: 1246052
>>
>>55411821
>need
install gentoo
>>
Total noob here.

So I tried to install Debian on my laptop (had to use a cable because it couldn't find a DHCP server or something, so I'm guessing my Wifi wouldn't have worked anyway), but when I boot up my computer it goes straight to Windows 10. I tried disabling fast boot and going into the BIOS options to boot from hard drive instead of Windows Boot Manager, but it still doesn't let me get into Debian. What do?
>>
File: 20160704_122505~01.jpg (166 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160704_122505~01.jpg
166 KB, 1280x720
https://youtu.be/Wqh9AQt3nho
I followed this video for installing Arch and get an error saying that the disk cant mount whenever I boot up

What do I do?
>>
>>55411250
yes

i've been using the same install since 2012, despite several times where i've changed what disk it's on or what filesystem i'm using

you should only need to reinstall if you've fucked things up beyond repair
>>
>>55412595

Go to your doctor and get some treatment for your ADD since you can't follow a proper. written guide.
>>
>>55412642
please no bully
I learn better through seeing it in action
>>
>>55412682
Evidently you do not.
>>
>>55412595
hi, that's strange. Can you mount the partition and chroot from your arch installation media?
>>
git question:

what's the preferred sort of git submodule/subtree whatever-the-fuck technology these days? Also (and this is why I'm not just googling/RTFMing), is the shit any good?

they keep changing the shit and it keeps being retarded. I stopped keeping track
>>
>>55412884
The video is a bit outdated, I followed it as exactly as I can
>>
>>55409834
What version of debian are you using? couldn't this be a bug?
>>
>>55398667
Did you try using unicode? Ctrl-shift-u and then let go of u and enter a code and let go of the rest
>>
>>55412965
So you learned how to install a broken version of arch by watching something better than reading the correct steps to install a working version. Doesn't sound like something worth learning desu bud.
>>
>>55399782
Termite is pretty sweet and modern. I fell for the urxvt meme for a couple years but had config issues.
>>
>>55399930
Should add stuff about rsync and sshfs. I use transmission-gtk and sshfs to mount a folder on my file server to a folder on my computer and I clan download things straight to it. I also use rsync whenever doing remote file transfers, mostly. I have some aliases for rsyncing really big folders to the file server from my desktop. I backup all my anime and music and such that way, then any computer on my network can sshfs mount the file servers storage folder and access that media.
>>
>>55412934
Nope, permission denied
>>
>>55400047
wget -c url
To download
tar - xvf
To extract
>>
Just moved from windows:

What is the most appropriate directory to install Python?
(in Windows usually recommended to put the dir in C:\ )
>>
>>55413181
Whatever your distro chose for you
>>
>>55413125
you sure about that? did you boot the arch live disk? If you're in the live disk prompt do:
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt

and then try to fix the problems
>>
You most likely already have python installed.
>>
>>55413198
Thank you matey
>>
>>55413236
Oh yes so I do.
I'm actually installing anaconda with Python 3.5 so it needed a new dir anyway.
Now I just need to deal with removing Python 2.7
>>
>>55413181
The package manager picks the directory for you if you install python
>>
>>55412943
answered my question; good info is at these two links:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/05/alternatives-to-git-submodule-git-subtree/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31769820/differences-between-git-submodule-and-subtree

The SO answer "submodule is a link; subtree is a copy" is a good way to keep things straight.
>>
>>55413043
nice, url hints!
>>
>>55413263
Don't, there are a lot of programs depending on it it. They can coexist just fine.
>>
>GNU/Linux
Should I take my GNU free Linux question elsewhere then?
>>
>>55413263
Just a hint, don't fight the distro/package manager, use what's available on the repos and if the version for say a python lib is not available, use pip as _user_ not root/sudo to install in a virtualenv.
Never use pip as root or with sudo.
>>
>>55413333
yes please
>>
What's the difference (besides unity) between ubuntu, and xubuntu?
>>
>>55413399
Tough shit

How do I compile software for MIPS Linux 2.6? MIPS 24K to be specific.
>>
Will I run into any problems running debian or arch a AMD based laptop?
Asking since I heard somewhere AMD and linux don't get along, I might be wrong tho.
>>
>>55413516
Just search for "<your AMD prduct> linux" and check out other people's experiences so far
>>
I'm tired of randomly reading pages on the archwiki. What's the best guide/book/whatever to read that explains the basics and more?
It'd be great if it covered archlinux specifically, but not necessary.

The goal is to understand how everything works so I can solve my problems correctly.
>>
How do I change the mac address/network identifier of my fruit board so it is something anonymous like F3:A2:31....etc instead of coming up as "RASP PI FOUNDATION".
>>
>>55413656
It's hardcoded
>>55413638
But the arch wiki is objectively the easiest way to learn about arch linux.
>>
>>55413638

Do you know how much you'd have to read and learn to be able to "understand how everything works"? Millions of pages.
You learn and solve problems as you go, by dealing with the things that you're having trouble with.
>>
>>55413671
Yes but I feel like I'm missing some basic shit.
And as I said I generally search what I need to resolve my problem. Now I'd like to learn how it works so I know what I can do.
>>
>>55413697
What basic things are you missing?
>>
>>55413696
Exgagerated a bit, not everything, but there has to be some basics no?
>You learn and solve problems as you go, by dealing with the things that you're having trouble with.
That's exactly what I've been doing for two years or so now.

But I still don't know where things gets installed, where are the configs, what's the boot process..

>>55413738

It's just that I don't feel in control, that there's something I'm missing.
For instance I only learned about what systemd when I wanted to start something after booting.. a year and a half after installing arch.
>>
>>55413697
There is no encompassing book that will tell you everything
It would be billions of pages, and an entire chapter of 1 billion man pages.
What you're asking for its unachievable.

Find things you want to install, do it, learn how shit is done.
>>
>>55413806
>For instance I only learned about what systemd when I wanted to start something after booting.. a year and a half after installing arch.
Well that's how it works. You learn stuff about things when they come up. Since Linux is so vast, that's pretty much the most sensible way to learn. Wait for issues, and learn while tring to resolve the issues.
>>
>>55413849
I guess so. It's just really strange to discover something that you should have known for a long time.
And the thing is, I know how small part works but have no sense of what's going on as a whole.

Oh, maybe there's something like "best pratice" for linux?
>>
>>55413849
>>55413815
Well I think I asked the dumb question. I searched around and yeah, that's the way to go with linux, so I'm not missing anything.
>>
>>55413894
heh, yeah pretty much
but over time you get to know more parts and different parts of knowledge will connect to a pretty good overview.
For example locations of config files. after you edited some you will know that most of them are located in /etc/
>>
>>55413806

>been using it for years
>still hasn't figured out in which directories packages are installed or where the configs usually are

You're either lying about your usage or just stupid.

> what's the boot process
Then read about it. Not that it will have any significance on your ability to use a distribution.

>claims to have installed and used arch for over year
>claims he has never enabled or disabled services during that time

Yeah, bullshit.
>>
>>55414082
no bully
>>
>>55414082
Neh I'm dead serious. I installed arch, made the trackpoint work and then I only did programming and stuff.

Then I had problem with my raspi which also ran archlinux in headless, and I had to autostart stuff.

>still hasn't figured out in which directories packages are installed
Never really thought about it actually, just confused how I'm supposed to delete things I install outside of pacman.

And yeah I know that cfgs are in /etc.

>claims he has never enabled or disabled services during that time
Didn't even know what a service was.
>>
>>55414177
You're full of shit.
>austisming this hard
>>
>>55414082
Stop thinking everyone has to use an OS the same way you do
>>
>>55414204
Yeah sorry for using archlinux like a retard, hence my first question on this thread.

Like I said I'm just coding in there so nothing fancy. (I didn't even change the cfg of awesome)
>>
>>55414226

Everyone manages services the same way with systemd.

>>55414177

You're not supposed to install things outside of your package manager. If yo ustill do, remove them manually.
>>
Where can I read about all distribution and major difference between them?
I'll eventually install a bunch to try, but there's way too many to test them all now.
>>
>>55414318
>You're not supposed to install things outside of your package manager. If yo ustill do, remove them manually.

Not recently, I just remembered doing it a while ago. Good to know.
>>
>>55414318
It's perfectly possible to go a year without managing services at all
>>
>>55414226
Seeing how you have to enable systemd services upon following the installation guide, yes you do.
>>
>>55414346

It's almost impossible to install Arch without managing services.
>>
>>55414320
They are all the same.
Different package managers, that is it
And certain distros prevent you from installing "nuclear warheads" programs that are a physical threat to your life
>>
>>55414382
>>55414399
There's a difference between blindly executing a cmd and understanding what systemd is, what does starting a service mean etc.

I obviously had to use services with netctl-auto, but I had no idea of what systemd was.
>>
>>55414407
When it goes in to vivid detail, explaing what the command does and why it needs to be ran....
>>
>>55414382
>>55414399
Copy and pasting shit from the wiki, which is enough to install Arch just fine, does not really count as managing services.
>>
>>55414403
They can't be the same, for example, with my limited knowledge I know archlinux has the AUR, you have to compile everything on gentoo, etc.
>>
>>55414443
gentoo: Emerge
arch:pacman
debian/fedora/buntu etc cetc

They are literally the same damn thing, different switches but that is it.
All distros are the same, they all do the same thing.

>aur
You can choose to install binaries, or compile them locally for your system, use as *-git entries.
>>
>>55414443
Most every person is going to end up using Glibc, so things are mostly compatible across distributions. AUR is 90% scripts, config files, and makefiles.
The differences are how often they pull shit from git, what they ship with, and what package management system. Also any patches to the kernel for drivers and shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTE2BHv0pd8
>>
How much tweaking do you need to do for SSDs nowadays?

fstrim is automatic now for every drive. noatime is the only thing left really, I think. Is there a reason it isn't set by default?
>>
>>55414612
linux is geared towards servers by default. access time can be an important security flag.
>>
>>55414641
>servers by default
Maybe back in the 90's.

>>55414612
defaults,noatime
and running fstrim once a week, is all you need
>>
>>55414660
>Maybe back in the 90's.
yeah nah.
compare market shares of linux in the desktop market vs the server/web market and you'll see that it's still 100% true
>>
>>55399903
Theres a program that actually allows Windows to see Linux partitions and files. It's called Ext2 File System Driver
>>
>>55414679
>geared towards servers by default.
So every distro is automatically setup for server use?
Dont think so nigger.
>>
>>55414660
Is once a week enough? Lots of place are saying to move to cron job over to daily.
>>
>>55412472

Anyone?
>>
>>55414741
You'd do more harm doing it so frequently.
>>
>>55414687
yes, and at every opportunity, it will tell you write operations are dangerous, and the speed is dogshit.
>>
>>55404436
If you have space to spare, I'd recommend giving it more space...
>>
>>55404436
eufi 300
boot 100 unless you're using uncompressed kernel files, then go to 200
>>
How long till Hurd is ready?
>>
>>55414837
2016+n
>>
>>55414612
btrfs has a ssd option you can add to fstab
>>
>>55414837
Never.
stallman admits it is a huge failure, and no one should use it.
Further proving he is a failure in life, and only wants to piggyback on Linus' success
>>
>>55414761
Not saying its a panacea, just that it exists. I've only used it to transfer a few mb's here and there, never ran into any issues.
>>
>>55414837
2059, if a certain comic is to be believed.
>>
>>55414751
Do you know if they still only do Intel and whatever other popular SSD brands by default? I remember that being another problem a while ago (you had to force other brands), but the current guide on google sites doesn't mention anything.
>>
>>55414837
Hurd is currently v0.8. Will take some time I guess since microkernel development is pretty difficult. However, you can try some ports, here: https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html and here https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/arch_hurd.html
>>55414901
>>>/9gag/
>>
>loose interest in gayming
>not very keen on trying w10
>let`s try linux
>antergos looks nice

should I stop right here ?
I really wanna try linux but idk if this is a good first dist.
>>
>>55415009
Better than windows, at least.
>>
>>55415009
Try different distros in a VM before you actually install one, this way you don't end up with something you don't like.
Best distros are: Debian, Arch, Fedora, where fedora is the most beginner friendly.
>>
>>55415122
>fedora

If you want user friendly, what's wrong with *buntu?
>>
>>55415145
Ubuntu is beginner friendly but not a "best distro". At least in my holy opinion.
>>
>>55414612
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
>>
>>55415168
In what way is fedora better?
>>
Am I missing anything by using Anthy instead of Mozc? Either I'm too stupid to get Mozc working or Mozc just doesn't want to work.
>>
>>55415213
Basically development (Red Hats know what they are doing) and philosopy (focussing on freedom while supporting hardware). Then again I really can't stand Canonical. If you ask me, it doesn't even count as GNU/Linux anymore - and I think they even want it that way since they avoid these terms as much as possible. In Canonicals world, there is Windows, OS X and Ubuntu .. and somewhere down the road some lost and lonly GNU/Linux distros nobody cares about, no need to contribute there. The amazon thing killed it, the software center killed it, and porting Ubuntu to Windows woun't help the GNU/Linux community either; only Canonical. I can't stand this company.
>>
let's say you want more security, can you rely on the already implemented stuff most distros come with? Or is it like windows where you NEED to set up a few lines of defense to at least stop skids
>>
File: fml.png (49 KB, 641x483) Image search: [Google]
fml.png
49 KB, 641x483
For some reason when I try to install guest additions in virtualbox for arch it does this, anybody know how to resolve this?

>inb4 install gento, not use vm etc
>>
>>55415808
If only there were a system service that output various errors that happen on a system.
That sure would be benifical. dont you think?
>>
>>55415795
Setup ufw.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.