[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: dwight6.jpg (82 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
dwight6.jpg
82 KB, 900x675
/sqt/
>>
How do I write a shell script that reads an argument when it's ran?
Something like
script argument
>>
I have an old Dell Latitude running a 32-bit linux, and I want to use it's hard drive in my Asus laptop that is 64-bit. When I put the Latitude hard drive in my new laptop, I don't even see the Asus splash screen. I know the hard drive works, and I wouldn't expect the 32-bit OS to load, but I would at least expect to see the splash screen and be able to go into my BIOS/boot from USB.

Do I need to wipe the hard drive before I can use it? Or does Dell have some strange DRM that will not allow me to reuse this hard drive?
>>
>>55396241
>wouldn't expect the 32-bit OS to load
Why not? AMD64 processors can run IA32 software.
>>
Is there any command arriviable like ALT+F1 to change workplace
>>
>>55396095
Why not Stupid Questions Thread?
>>
>>55396455
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
>>
>>55396480
No, there are plenty of stupid questions
>>
>>55396455
too offensive

4chan is a safe space now
>>
>>55396129
In bash? Look at the environment variables $1, $2, $3, etc. Those will contain the various arguments, or nothing if there wasn't an argument.

>>55396241
Neither. I suspect a power issue, or you have a connection not making full contact someplace, notably the drive data and power connectors.

And yeah, I would fully expect it to boot the 32 bit OS, though it might come up missing some drivers.

>>55396305
For what? Do you mean like having ctrl+alt+left/right or numbers switch virtual desktops? Most DEs do something like that, and most let you configure it if you don't like the default.
>>
>>55396480
How do I make one of those white boxes in my post on /g/?
>>
>>55396514
>In bash?
No, sh
>>
>>55396095
if i shrink a partition can i re-enlarge it?
>>
>>55396520

These? Use the
 tags.
>>
>>55396095
Alright, /sqt/.

I like to download imagedumps from /c/, and what I do to download them is open all images in the thread, save it as a .html page and then choose what I want to keep and what I want to delete from the folder generated along with the .html page. The thing is, this isn't as much effective as it should be, because I still have to delete the thumbnails.

Is there a script that would download all the files in a thread?
>>
File: White Box.png (770 B, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
White Box.png
770 B, 256x256
>>55396520
Here, use mine
>>
>>55396496
>safe space

ahahahah, retard
>>
>>55396549
Fuggit. [ code ] ... [ /code ]

>>55396543
Same deal.

>>55396548
Yes.

>>55396550
DownThemAll
YChan
4chan-dl
>>
>>55396520

>>
>>55396608
Could you speak up? We can't hear you.
>>
>>55396575
Thanks, I'ill be using DownThemAll.
>>
Ello bros.

I haven't had an issue since I put my PC together (surprising because I beat the shit out of my PC, dont have internet so I lug it around to do dev coops with friends and people I meet in college) but last week I bumped the power cord and lost power.

It would not boot afterwards so I swapped in my server PSU and got it to boot. My Windows 10 partition was boot looping but booted after a startup recovery. Every one of my GNU/Linux distros booted normally. Upon startup in my Win10 drive I noticed that certain characters were shifted and figured my SSD was going bad. Ran checks and the disk came up clean but got corrupted again after about 10 minutes.

Also the USB periphs were very spotty in terms of power, off and on with dimming LEDs.

I put my PSU tester to it and the PSU is fine. I am pretty sure I can narrow it down to the mobo at this point but I think I have run out of ways to definitively find the issue.

Tl;dr PSU is fine, SSD checks out fine, but USB and SSD data are spotty. Most likely a mobo issue but just want some input.

It has been a few years since I have had to troubleshoot a thing so I am rusty and hate going through Toms Hardware bullshit.

Thanks in advance, reddit gold for any information leading to the arrest of the zodiac killer (its mitt romney)
>>
Does anyone know how to get the fucking microphone working on a thinkpad x230t? I've googled and tried all of the basic shit they suggest but nothing works. the camera works just fine its the cunt of a microphone that doesn't
>>
File: Capture2.jpg (41 KB, 596x348) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.jpg
41 KB, 596x348
4chanX for firefox doesn't allow me to see the replies in chain, like pic related, which works in chromium. It just redirects me to the reply in firefox. How can I fix that?
>>
Does it harm my hardware if I defrag a RAM disk on Windows?
>>
>>55397191
No, but your post harms my brain. Why are you defragging a RAM disk?
>>
>>55397211
Accidentally by not unticking it.
>>
File: quoting.jpg (24 KB, 212x277) Image search: [Google]
quoting.jpg
24 KB, 212x277
>>55397032
You try messing with these settings? It's under "script."
>>
What's your preferred program to burn music CDs? It's for my car.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (14 KB, 593x29) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
14 KB, 593x29
>>55397485
Thanks anon, this what the problem, now it works.
>>
>>55396480
yes there are, and that's a stupid answer
>>
File: 1338164299577.gif (248 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
1338164299577.gif
248 KB, 400x550
Is there a way to run emulators on iOS without jailbreak?
>>
>>55396933
i mean knowing the OS might help...
>>
Someone talk me in/out of a Mini-ITX build. I'm doing an i7/1080 VR build and I keep having a nagging feeling that I will go SLI when dual GPU performance works like nvidia says it will. On the other hand, I'd like to have my PC on top of my desk and not take up a bunch of room.
>>
>>55397191
yes it will make your random access memory no longer random and will hurt performance of random number generators
>>
File: Fucking pissed.png (161 KB, 292x334) Image search: [Google]
Fucking pissed.png
161 KB, 292x334
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THIS FUCKING PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT XBOX FUCKING ONE CONTROLLER WILL NOT AND I MEAN WILLLLLLLLLLLL NOT EVER WORK WITH THIS FUCKING COMPUTER.

I UPDATED WINBLOWS 7 ALL THE WAY WITH ALL THE NEWEST NSA SPYWAREâ„¢ FEATURES

I INSTALLED THE FUCKING DRIVERS FROM ALL THE SPAM SITES AND OFFICIAL SITES I CAN FIND

I BOUGHT A 40$ WIRELESS ADAPTER AND THAT DIDN'T FUCKING WORK. I USED A MICRO USB CORD AND THAT DIDN'T WORK

NONE OF THESE FUCKING DRIVERS WILL INSTALL WHAT IN THE GODDAMN FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU MICROKIKEJEW.

NOT EVEN THE OLD XBONE CONTROLLER OR THE NEW ONE WORKS.

THE WORST PART IS ALL I GET IS ''Works fine on Winjew 8 and 10 :^)''

IM SO FUCKING PISSED /g/ I CAN FUCKING SCREAM
>>
>>55397619
u used to be able to set your date back,>>55397628
idk if it still works
>>
Jesus I'm sorry but I don't know where else to go.

There's a Yes song that has a lyric "a million miles away." Both are too fucking common to find in a search. Hopefully one of y'all still listen to this great band. It's driving a hole in my skull. Thank you.
>>
>>55397672
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>55397655
How far back do you set it? All the way to Jan 1, 1970?
>>
File: image.png (54 KB, 454x439) Image search: [Google]
image.png
54 KB, 454x439
>>55397647
Have you though about installing Windows 10? You're using old, unsupported software, of course there will be compatibility issues :^)
>>
>>55397703
no if u go back that far i think it breaks.
just before 2000 or something
>>
>>55397647
Works on Ubuntu.
>>
My connection to 4chan keeps cutting in and out.
Any other website works perfectly fine, but my connection to just 4chan will disconnect for like half a minute every 5 to 10 minutes or so
This has been going on for a year, and I only realized this problem is exclusive to 4chan today.
Anyone have any idea what's going on?
>>
>>55397647
Deep breaths, calm the fuck down man.

Are you trying to use a wired or wireless controller? I think the wireless ones required a proprietary wireless base unit since they don't use any standard protocol. The USB port on them is just for charging. The wired ones are the sort that just work -- you plug them in and Windows says oh it's a gamepad and lets you use it.
>>
>>55397753
>>55397710
The only solution seems to be reinstalling winblows 7 and don't update at all.

>>55397776
I'm trying to get a wireless one to work. Before I made the terrible and grievous mistake of updating windows, I could plug in a Xbone controller with a USB and it would just werk and install the drivers no problem.

Now nothing works, not even a official wireless adapter. It just absolutely refuses to download the drivers.
>>
>>55397860
Uninstall some updates maybe. Try to narrow it down to one that makes it not work.
>>
>>55397923
I uninstalled all the updates yesterday and tried, nothing works. There was like 3 updates I couldn't uninstall though(wouldn't let me select them.)
>>
>>55397955
Download the driver manually perhaps, and install it through "update driver" in device manager.

Also try another USB port so Windows treats it as a new device.
>>
Should I buy a 1070 or should I buy a 980ti for a bit less?
>>
>>55397985
Yeah it didn't work. This computer is literally possessed.
>>
>>55398099
Sure.
>>
File: mumcomputer.png (33 KB, 234x398) Image search: [Google]
mumcomputer.png
33 KB, 234x398
How's this for a Facebook/Netflix machine for my mum? Is 8gb of RAM overkill?
>>
>>55398099
my 1070 is amazing I'd buy it again any day
>>
>>55398261
Does she even need a computer?
A 200$ tablet might be good enough, if she wanted throw in a smart TV that could make it better.
>>
Are iCloud blocked iPhone 6's (regular 6, not 6S) still impossible to unblock?
>>
>>55398338
Give it back, Tyrone.

>>55398261
The whole thing's overkill. 4 GB RAM and an even lower SSD or HDD would do. Also look into cheap AMD CPU and mobo combos. Or go with a small-board computer with a soldered-in Celeron.
>>
>>55398261
get a microatx mb for 50$ with an i3 6100
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zTTyf8

Can you guys judge this build? (I plan on getting a 1070 when they become more available)
>>
File: PepePuke.jpg (7 KB, 206x156) Image search: [Google]
PepePuke.jpg
7 KB, 206x156
>>55398519
>that case (pic related)
Get a CiT Spectre, they look way better + have 2 fans already installed

otherwise it's pretty decent fpr 1080p
>>
Recently updated my Chinaphone (Huawei P8) to stock/official 6.0
And to my dismay the USB mass storage mode is apparently gone ;_; (no longer an option in the drop down)
Means I'm stuck with the stupid "media" mode which lists directories slowly as fuck, can't browse through pictures from the PC with IrfanView because when I "open" a file, it is first copied to some temp folder, then half of the thumbnails aren't showing in explorer, can't perform WinDirStat on it any more etc etc
Anyway to re-enable it in some hidden settings or is it only possible to get direct SD card access back with custom ROM?
Because physically removing the SD every time is a major pain in the ass
>>
How can I play this piece of shit file in any audio player?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (10 KB, 109x130) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
10 KB, 109x130
>>55398635
goddamit forgot the image
>>
>>55397621
tried windows 7, no luck, now on 8.1 and still nothing
>>
>>55398635
>>55398651

convert it to midi
>>
>>55398715
Do I need to use dosbox for it?
>>
>>55398731
what does dosbox have to do with this?
>>
>>55398743
There's only one program that can covert .mus to a midi file, which only runs on dos.
>>
>>55398664
Does sound work at all? Laptop mics are usually simple analog things connected to the sound chip. Perhaps the wire going to a mic is fucked up.
>>
>>55398765
Well then use Dosbox.
>>
Would connecting a switch to a router work? I need to connect both my Raspi and my PC to the network and I don't want to buy a second 10M cable.
>>
>>55398956
Yes
>>
What's a good microphone for having on my desk? Preferably something non-USB.
>>
>>55397768
Its mook's shitty data mining servers
>>
>>55398261
Fucking over kill as fuck
Here
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/H2ypt6
>>
I'm using c++.

I have an "item" class that just has some basics setters and getters for a couple variables. I have a "Character" object that has some simple attributes. I want to make my character object able to have an array of items as opposed to just one.

Character::Character(std::string Name, int Age, int a, int b, int c, int d, int e, int f, int g,int h, Item CharItem)
:CharItem(CharItem)
{
SetName(Name);
SetAge(Age);
SetAttributes(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h);
}

I can't figure out how to have the CharItem variable become an array so my characters can have multiple items
>>
>>55398519
>ssd
Get a samsung, they make their parts in house.
>>
>>55399371
also it dosen't have to be an array, i should have said any container
>>
>>55399109
I can't even find any celerons in stock anywhere in my country and the h81 mobos cost the same as h110.

That seasonic costs $30 more than the corsair.

No one sells really cheap small capacity HDDs here. The SSD is a much better deal.

I will get 4GB of RAM instead of 8.
>>
>>55398765
ffmpeg -i file.mus newfile.midi
>>
>>55399385
I dont care about your country.
The build is a solid facebook + streaming 1080p30fps
>>
Whats a lightweight linux distro that will be good for torrenting?

I have an older core2quad. Im lazy and have had windows update disabled since the win10 nags came out. And the updates are a minefield and awful, but im worried im gonna get fucked with a vulnerability.

Figure its easier to just run linux, as its not gonna do anything but torrent and be a DLNA server
>>
I have a 450W power supply.

Is leaving my computer on all day like having 7.5 60W incandescent lightbulbs on all day?
>>
If I don't know anything about linux, how long would it take me to learn to basically use it, not really wanting to customize or anything, just want to get out of Microsoft?
>>
>>55399087
goddammit, I thought I got an actual reply for once
Will my chan browsing hell never end
>>
Is digital hoarding/organizing a real mental illness?
>>
>>55399554
A lot of distros aren't that much different from using Wndows.
>>
>>55399573
It's more of a hobby. You get to build a huge collection for nothing more than the cost of drive space.
>>
>>55399507
450W is the just maximum it can handle. How much your computer uses idling depends on the other components and the efficiency of the power supply.
>>
>>55399563
Im being sincere. It randomly stop working at all, all boards stop for 10-20 minutes, all posting times out. Nothing you can do about it.
>>
Does anyone know if you can still rip iclouds and if so how?
If not, can you actually do anything with an iCloud?
>>
>>55399589
I looked in to what i have. And a good 17TB of it is organized to the tee but i dont even use it.But i dont want to delete it.While all the shit i do use daily is an unorganized mess.
>>
>>55399597
I'm not talking about that
I'm saying it stops for only 30 seconds or so, but this happens every 5 to 10 minutes
10-20 minute stoppages are a completely different thing
>>
Installed new ram, now computer will randomly freeze in windows7. Using intel xmp to sync timings and voltages are correct. Ran memtest overnight (~16 hours) with no errors.

What could be the problem/ what else can I do to diagnose? Do I need to run memtest longer?
>>
>>55399579
Hmm might give it a shot. Tks
>>
Is there any way to install firefox nightly via portage? It's pretty annoying to be stuck on v47.
>>
>>55399701
There should be a useflag for that
>>
Does having two operating systems on a computer cut the resources in half too?
>>
>>55399507
The power you use depends on what processor and what peripherals you have, what you do on them, and how often you do it.

You only use the watts that you pull, you dont sit and eat 450w all the time.

>have haswell i5, 2 monitors, and a switch running from UPS backup
Its pulling ~80 watts from the wall right now with light browsing.

When I play a game ive seen it push into the 300s.

If I set it to do something CPU or GPu intensive all night, its gonna eat wattage. If it idles its gonna sip. If you turn it off every night, it will add up in saved wattage.
>>
>>55399778
Also I have a Bronze power supply.
If I bought a more efficient power supply like a gold or platinum, those wattage numbers would be slightly lower because the PSU is more efficient and wastes less power
>>
>>55399728
I don't see any. Could you specify which one?
>>
What's the now phone hotness? Preferably under $300.
>>
>>55399776
Only the OS you boot uses resources (if we ignore the 30GB on your harddrive the other OS uses).
>>
Reposted from my original OP, anon said he'd help me

I have a plan with my family on T-mobile. I'm going to Army training for 7.5 months and 5.5 of those will be spent at my job training. Looking to use a mobile hotspot.

I've read that it can be free if you root your phone maybe? If not, what us enough data a month to play video games and skype each evening? Any advice? Thanks.
>>
File: MSI-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-2.jpg (143 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
MSI-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-2.jpg
143 KB, 1024x819
Currently have 2x1080p 60Hz monitors, just bought a 1070 so planning on getting a new monitor

1080p/144Hz or

1440p/60Hz

Not sure if I go 1440p if I should still have two monitors or just one
>>
>>55399888
Unless you're doing basic, there should be limited wifi from the base. AIT has it im poitive.
>>
>>55399890
Depends on the games you play. Do you need the performance because you're playing shooters?
Go 1080p/144Hz
Do you mainly play RPGs? Buy a 1440p/60Hz. You might even be able to play 1440p/140Hz but that depends on your games.
>>
>>55399943
I'm planning on using it at AIT but in my dorm/room. I read it's only available in the cafes and stuff, not in the building.
>>
Should you be able to overheat your processor by stressing it with a benchmark? Or should the cooling prevent it from overheating even if you make it worth to its max? In other words, if in certain situation the processor is overheating but it only happens with one program, What is to blame? The program or the cooling?
>>
>>55399959

Mostly single player games but I've recently gotten into Overwatch

Overall majority of games are single player though so 144Hz might not be worth it
>>
Repost from >>55399931

I want to stream movies so I can watch them with my friends remotely. I'm using OBS on my computer. I'm afraid of using YouTube because of copyright shit, even if the stream is private. What service should I use to host a private stream without fear of copyright crackdown, /g/?
>>
Anyone know where to find a torrent for EPPB 5.0?
>>
>>55399977
Overwatch is really lightweight though. I've gotten into it as well and I plan on playing it on a 1440p at 120 Hz. Ordered my 1070 on Friday. You should be fine with that setup, technically. It just really depends if you want to spend the money. If you mostly play single player stuff, 60Hz will be enough.
>>
>>55396095
Posting again...

I know how to include links in HTML, but how would I go about linking to an RSS feed like in pic related? (It's for a new-tab page I'm designing).
>>
What's a good program to download files off Youtube and other sites that isn't YTD Video Downloader? Last update I bothered to get for it also installed some bloatware, so it needs to go
>>
>>55400090
youtube-dl
>>
>>55399987
plex
>>
File: pc game box.png (70 KB, 1047x727) Image search: [Google]
pc game box.png
70 KB, 1047x727
How does this look for my first pc build?
I want to be a gamer boy.
>>
>>55400036
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="http://rss.feed/nigger>
>>
>>55400155
Get a hard drive
>>
>>55400155
>Founder's edition
Wait a couple weeks for partner cards, retard
>>
>>55400155
>ssd
Get a samsung 850 evo
>>
File: 20160624191203_big.png (208 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
20160624191203_big.png
208 KB, 1000x1000
>>55400155
>Founders Edition
Get this one. It's the fastest currently.
>>
>>55399701
Reposting my question.
>>
>>55397790
Someone tell me.
>>
>>55400155
scuttle on back to the depths from which you came
>>>/v/
>>
File: google.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>55400317
>>
whats the maximum fps the human eye can see
>>
>>55400376
fighter pilots see around 255fps
Normalfags stop around 70-120
>>
>>55400376
24. Don't be fooled into wasting money on invisible FPS gains.
>>
>>55400376
>implying humans can see fps
>>
>>55400376
>>55400397
Eyes don't see in 'frames'. The neurons in your optic nerve aren't synced together.
>>
>>55400423
>>55400430
Get a load of these idiots.
>>
So I built my first rig last night. But the problem is I got a samsung 850 evo SSD and apparently it's incompatible with my MOBO's M.2 slot. The slot is apparantly only for PCIe NVME SSD's. Is there any work around to this or am I fucked and need to get a new SSD?

I know i'm a retard for not researching my part compatibility extensively beforehand
>>
>>55400160
I'm still having a little trouble making the link work... pic related is what the html code looks lie (and the relevant part of the webpage to the right)
>>
>>55400430
https://books.google.com/books?id=jzbUUL0xJAEC&pg=PA24&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>55400466
The "rss.feed" wasnt ment to be taken literally.
Put the rss link you need to use where 'rss.feed' is at, so in your case wired.com
There should be a seperate path that they use for rss.
So for wired.com's TOP STORIES feed use
http://www.wired.com/feed/
>>
>>55400483
> film studies
kek

> The human eye and its data reception can form, transmit, and analyse 10-12 images per second.
top kek

I wonder if the author ever heard of neuroscience.
>>
>>55400610
[citation needed]
>>
Is Intel still doing that Jewing where K chips don't have the virtualization extensions? I know Broadwell-E can do it, but I'd rather not spend the money on the 2011 platform.

I ask because I want to be able to run Linux and then do that PCI-passthrough trick to run muh gaymes in a VM.
>>
Which Windows 7 or 10, 64 bit Installation disk can I install on more than one computer at the same time. Iv'e asked around on multiple websites and nobody's given me a straight answer, always leaving it up to interpretation. Don't say you can't because i have a Windows 7 32 bit disk that i have used over 10 times on multiple computers with the same key and no hassle.

>inb4 install Gentoo, Linux, Ubuntu
I already have a computer with Ubuntu on it.

All I do on my desktop is play Videogames and record stuff.
>>
>>55400839
It just depends on the key. But I'd recommend to just use DAZ Loader.
>>
File: 1446788803219.jpg (89 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446788803219.jpg
89 KB, 400x400
2 questions:
What do I have to look for in the w7 event viewer to see if power was switched to battery (cut) on a laptop?

Second. Some electronics may have fried in my house. I was playing on my old xenon 360 when out of nowhere it turned off and took the tv with it, a buzzing noise could be heard with the 3 red lights flashing. Absolutely no burning smell though. I unplugged everything and waited 30 seconds. Replugged and both were working fine. Anyone had similar experiences? Why the fug would that happen?
>>
>>55400552
Alright... I feel really dumb for simply not being able to figure this out, but what am I doing wrong?
>>
File: 1467411565502.jpg (147 KB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
1467411565502.jpg
147 KB, 1200x1697
>Budget: $1500 (can go above though)
Soon-to-be Mech. Engineering student here, what laptop should I get?
According to the students I shouldn't expect to do much heavy lifting on it (would be done on the desktops at campus)
I'm getting into coding with Python, and can expect to use MATLAB as part of my courses
I use Photoshop a lot as a hobby and would like a great screen on it
I don't game
No Macbooks, I don't like OSX and the university specifically recommends against it

What should I get?
>>
Laptop for comfy-typing, decent screen for vids and browse?

My T420 is dying.
>>
>>55401007
you dont need 1500 at all lol
Get a nice lenovo or dell for like 500
>>
File: 1467237654739.jpg (234 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1467237654739.jpg
234 KB, 1200x1200
>>55399888
What phone do you have? Sorry, I told you to delete your thread and forgot to check it until now.
>>
File: qt.png (464 KB, 667x750) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
464 KB, 667x750
I need to make a backup / copy of another computers hard drive.

Does making a backup of this leave any sort of traces that indicate that a backup was recently made out of such hard drive?
>>
>>55401409
Depends on how you do it.
>>
Got two external hard drives that wont boot. What's /g/'s prefered hdd fixing tool other than windows chkdsk?
>>
>>55401423

Explain. Its extremely important for it to not leave any traces for obvious reasons that you may guess.
>>
>>55401409
Do you mean '/' backup, as in root basedir. Or do you mean backup/copy?
>>
>>55401441
If you install some backup or drive mirroring software on the source computer that obviously leaves a trace of someone making a backup

If you pull the drive, mount in read only mode and dd it to another drive then there is no way of leaving a trace.
>>
>>55401444

I need some files from said hard drive. As I dont exactly know where those files are exactly I figured it would be quicker to just back everything up, save it somewhere and then deal with that later.

As far as I know, theres a utility in windows that simply makes a backup of the entire HDD. So I was planning to do that.

However, I am concerned with it leaving traces that such backup was done.
>>
I want to buy a USB that will last me a few years
any recommendations on a sturdy 32GB one off ebay?
>>
>>55401473
Boot in to a liveusb and use dd to clone the drive to a container(iso).
It wont touch anything as it is copying the blocks instead of the date behind it

Get a huge usb drive or plug in an external
>>
>>55401480
Any USB cable or port should last several years under normal use.
>>
>>55401335
Galaxy S5
>>
Why should or shouldn't you install windows updates?
>>
Does Blu-ray players read dvds and cd-roms?

Any cheap external players around?
>>
why are desktop threads banned
>>
Any news on 4k bluray drives for my desktop?
>>
>>55401704
My guess is because it was nothing but a /b/ pony thread.
Also, wtf. I just looked over there for the first time in like two years. Is /b/ nothing but porn now?
>>
what's the best imagezoom addon for firefox
>>
File: kanjitomo.png (53 KB, 891x554) Image search: [Google]
kanjitomo.png
53 KB, 891x554
How do I run pic related on Ubuntu?
It's a java program, and according to other sources that means it's not OS specific.
Google search led me to reddit to this:
>Working without problems here on Arch Linux. I ran it with java -Xmx1000m -jar KanjiTomo.jar -run

Should I type this command while I'm in the directory that contains that jar file?
>>
>>55400430
There has to be a maximum amount of FPS that the human eye can differentiate. I would guess around 110 or so.
>>
File: 1467378735059.jpg (134 KB, 732x738) Image search: [Google]
1467378735059.jpg
134 KB, 732x738
I have a fresh install o windows, and I cant rember the name of the program I as using to download youtube videos, maybe it was "youtube dlg"? but I dont remeber, but it had a GUI though.
>>
File: 1465156022098.jpg (199 KB, 896x596) Image search: [Google]
1465156022098.jpg
199 KB, 896x596
I'm trying to buy a mini pcie lte modem, what kind of antennas do I need to get for it?

Sierra Wireless MC8790
>>
whats a good image viewer for viewing manga and stuff like that?
i used to use honeyview but that was a while ago and i hear its a chinese botnet now
im using irfanview for my normal pictures and stuff but its sort of a pain for viewing comics and maga
>>
>>55401886
USAF Pilots were tested and could consistently identify an object flashed for 1/220th of a second

This is of course different from the average person differentiating between 120fps and 144fps but the capacity is there for it to make a difference in our visual processing.
>>
File: oldfag3.jpg (46 KB, 800x410) Image search: [Google]
oldfag3.jpg
46 KB, 800x410
>>55401778
Its been nothing but cocks and porn since 2008 when moot gave up
>>
I need a program to encode mp3 v0 from flac. Thing I'd have to manually enter each folder of flac files in the program. Is there any way to script something like
 if *.flac run encodertomp3v0, else do nothing 
?
>>
So I need help, I ran sfc /scannow, and there's a corrupt or missing file, opencl.dll to be exact. I used a laptop that has a clean verified /scannow and replaced it as per Microsoft's instructions. I ran a new scan and it says the same file is still messed up.
Also when I check my event log ATIeRecorder is the most common app with issues. How do I fix or remove that? I don't know what it is and looking that up in my finder brings up nothing.

Windows 10 by the way.
Any possible solutions?
>>
>>55402084
ffmpeg + shell/batch script
>>
>>55401928
the integrated antennas in the laptop should do, but if in a desktop use something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA27C3GJ6927&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Gadgets-_-9SIA27C3GJ6927&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7-K7BRCkkIH3t_WwoskBEiQAD8oY3oJM2_s9-j1rViDZajy0U_dKST5eG66OfRH_YMPtiukaAtDG8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, who is that beautiful russian rose?
>>
Thank you, I'll take a look at that.
>>
So I'm using ffmpeg to remux vob files to mkv. I get errors converting directly but if I convert it to mp4 then to mkv it works. Is this the best way to go about it? Or maybe is there something I can recompile ffmpeg with to fix it?
>>
>>55402133
Not him but I found this
http://eng.mil.ru/en/multimedia/photo/gallery.htm?id=28304@cmsPhotoGallery
>>
>>55402165
meant to quote >>55402110
>>
>>55402084
Set your config options as needed
#!/bin/sh
for file in *.flac
do
ffmpeg -i "$file" "$file.mp3"
done

>>
>>55401895
first off, what're you on about, money certainly can buy roids.

second, were you thinking of youtube-dl? That's best-known as a command-line *nix program, but there is a windows port. Someone's probably made a GUI wrapper for it.
>>
File: hote2.jpg (219 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
hote2.jpg
219 KB, 900x600
>>55402195
Damn. Thanks.
>>
This is a stupid question, but I don't know where else to ask it, nor do I have any friends.

I have never sold anything on ebay before. I have this gaming laptop from 2013 that is in near perfect condition, and sites like newegg are selling it for 650ish

Have any of you sold something on ebay before?
Was it a relatively easy process?
I am hoping to list it for around 475, to get 450ish in pocket.
>>
>>55402719
They take a rather large cut, plus what paypal takes. You'd be better off on craigslist but if that's not your style, at 475 you'll end up with about $415 in hand.
>>
>>55402744
Ouch, I had totally forgotten about ebay fees, and didn't even know that paypal takes a cut too.

Isn't craigslist full of african americans?
How do you not get mugged?
>>
anyone know where I could find market share statistics for phone charger types, ie micro USB, USB C, Iphone, etc?
Like how many people have a phone with each type.
>>
>>55402744
>>55402766
Paypal no longer has fees for personal use.
They send you 475 you get 475, they arent hit with fees either.
>>
File: Capture.png (60 KB, 1238x332) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
60 KB, 1238x332
>>55396095
Why is Windows so shit?
>>
should i upgrade to windows 10?
>>
>>55402857
All memes aside, yes. It's the fastest Windows so far.
>>
>>55402719
not him, but I thought it wasn't even possible to sell much of anything on ebay without a pile of positive feedback, especially something fairly valuable like a laptop. actually I'd heard that buying was difficult in that respect, too, just less so.
>>
>>55402857
No. See the post above yours for a few reasons why.
>>
Why are video capture cards so expensive compared to GPUs?
>>
>>55403196
they aren't? Most are under $200 from a quick search on newegg
>>
When does the Windows 10 update that brings extension support to Edge arrive for non-Insiders?
>>
Recommended budget case fans?
Also, what do I need to look for when matching up case dimensions with my components online?
>>
File: dytj.png (80 KB, 1244x964) Image search: [Google]
dytj.png
80 KB, 1244x964
Is it normal to have this many processes going on and 1GB RAM usage when I'm running nothing?

Is it bloated? How do I clean things up?
>>
My computer just auto-updated to windows 10 and it's on the menu screen and my mouse and keyboard don't work. I've tried a different keyboard, different ports, nothing.

Why?
>>
>>55403370
First time opening the task manager, eh?
>>
>>55403371
Driver issues most likely. Try to use a laptop if you have one to download them and then try transferring them if you can't use the PC at hand to get them
>>
>>55403370
>Is it normal to have this many processes going on and 1GB RAM usage when I'm running nothing?
It's windows, so yes.
>Is it bloated?
yes.
>How do I clean things up?
install Gentoo.
>>
>>55403390
I don't have one, and my other PC just crashed yesterday. I am having an absolute shit week. Please kill me
>>
Quiet, 120mm LED fan?
Quiet CPU fan? Water Cooling is the most quiet method of CPU cooling right?
>>
>>55403415
Trust me I know how you're feeling. My PC has just slowed down incredibly, programs and apps just stop responding or crashing altogether, all 3 of my hard drives that amount to about 5 or 6 TB of data all started dying in one day.
I'm going to reset my windows anew now and I'm hoping my external can last just this week longer after 4 years until my new one comes in and I can transfer, but the way it's looking, it won't.

Sucks.
>>
File: 1383501503282.jpg (916 KB, 1589x1740) Image search: [Google]
1383501503282.jpg
916 KB, 1589x1740
>>55403383
this debloating guide, which I've already gone through with, says you can bring down the RAM 500mb, that's why I asked
>>
>>55403446
The first fan is a case fan btw
I do not want an LED CPU fan
>>
Just fresh installed windows 7 pro 64 bit from murphy78's 5in1 ISO
Windows updater isnt fuckin working no matter what i try, ive tried microsofts fix utility, tried some manual updates to the updater, still nothing.
Any ideas? I'm out of them, I thought murphy78 did some good images but I guess this one failed me
>>
I want to play Windows games, but I don't want to install Windows 10 and I don't want to screen every update to Windows 7.
Also I suck at Wine.
Is there a distro that comes with Wine pre-configured out-of-the-box to just werk?
>>
>>55403450
I'm right there with you man, these last 2 weeks have for some reason been tech hell for me.

First my PC started freezing, I tried swapping power supplies, killed my HDD, booted off my solid state and worked for a day now it bluescreens on login

So I get my old PC out, slow and ancient just so I can get online and now it fucking updates to windows 10 and I can't use it at all. I just wanna throw it all away desu lol
>>
>>55403469
fuck windows updater
>>
File: Selection_245.png (2 MB, 1193x446) Image search: [Google]
Selection_245.png
2 MB, 1193x446
I have access to a virtual server provided by Leaseweb ( leaseweb.com ) and I have 10 domains on namecheap. How can I point the domains to my vps ip and add them to the webservers host list?

Pic related is probably the relevant interface on leaseweb

My month-long subscription with leaseweb will run out in two days and I'd like to check if I can get the basics of having apache installed with the relevant domains by then to decide if I want to change my package.
>>
>>55403494
They should make this if they dont, but I found (and im a bit of a linux idiot) that wine worked pretty good on mint, and only took about a minute to setup (on its own) with the software repository or whatever it was
>>55403512
would that I could, this is for grandpa and id like to plug up as many holes in this windows swiss-cheese as i can
>>
I'm running the arch installation disk and I did something.

Instead of:
root@archiso ~ #

I'm now seeing
1 root@archiso ~ #

Also I can no longer arrow up to my prior command history. What did I do and how do I go back?
>>
How does typesetting work on killercoke.org?
>>
>>55403469
Rule of thumb anon.

If its not the original ISO with the original SHA-1 dont touch it.

Go and download the original ISO from the MDL pastebin.
And use Daz Loader to crack it.
>>
File: RetroArch-0628-003343.png (152 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0628-003343.png
152 KB, 720x1080
Does anyone have any experience with DS emulation in RetroArch? Whenever I play a game I get slow down and sound crackiling issues. I don't have this issue while running standalone DeSmuME after switching the sound settings to Sync Method P. But can find this setting in RetroArch. I'm not really sure why I'm getting this problem. It was fine when I first installed RetroArch and played around it with it. And I have a pretty decent PC. I'm running a 970 with a i5 6600k. Surely I should be able to run a DS game?
>>
>>55403698
>>>/vg/emugen
>>
>>55398147
fuq. This is gonna be a shit explanation, but here i go mate.

This might just work.
1.Download the driver manually from microsoft
2.Go to device manager and right click the unknown device and click either "install drivers" or go to properties, then update drivers
3.There is some manual or auto option, click manual
4. This is the part i dont quite remember. I believe there is a choose from a list option. Scroll down the list choose the xbox peripheral and then choose wireless controller(?)
5. Enjoy it mate

Again, its been a while, but its something like that
>>
Has your family tried 'em, Powder Milk?
>>
>>55396095
Is there a way to play movies on a local FTP server from my PS4 without paying the ultra Jews at Plex?
>>
>>55403446
>Quiet, 120mm LED fan?
Aerocool DS120
>Quiet CPU fan? Water Cooling is the most quiet method of CPU cooling right?
Uhh... Yes and No? Depends mate.
Best cooler is NH D15
Good cooler is the Noctua U14S.
Cheaper is Deepcool Lucifer v2
Minimum worth is hyper 212 evo

Good quiet 120 cpu fan is noiseblocker b12-whatever. The higher - whatever is higher RPM, which means higher performance and noise. id reccomend the b12-2 or 3 for quiet.

Dont replace noctua fans on coolers though. Not worth mate.
>>
File: BernieSander18Tril-Link.jpg (179 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
BernieSander18Tril-Link.jpg
179 KB, 1200x627
Is there a way to register a free domain name? I always wanted to start my own website bigDebbiedoesdonuts
>>
File: 1455222166063.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1455222166063.png
11 KB, 429x410
If I install Windows 10 on a pirated Windows 7 Ultimate copy and then put a legit Windows 7 Home key will it work and be a genuine copy?

Or do I need to make a fresh Home install before updating?
>>
Forgot to ask about free hosting as well. Thanks Uber Mensch
>>
>>55403920
why the fuck would you go through all that difficulty? Just look up how to unlock windows 10 mate.
>>
>>55403920
I did that and it worked. But you can just use DAZ Loader.
>>
>>55403816
(((You)))
>>
How hard will a i7-2600k bottleneck gtx1070
Or do i have to get a new mobo and cpu aswell
>>
>>55403974
>>55403988
Windows 10 is free at the moment if I use my Windows 7 key I would have a genuine copy. Easier than unlocking. R-right?

>>55403988
Is it filled with garbage Apps tho?
>>
>>55404024
Yes, that will work as well. There are garbage apps, but you can deactivate or uninstall them. Don't worry.
>>
>>55400797
Why not run Windows as host?
>>
Best C++ setup on windows?
>>
>>55404021
probably not at all really. OC a bit if needed. I dont think there is any gaming difference, but encoding and shit will feel a big boost from skylake iirc
>>
>>55404125
Probably visual studio if you want an IDE.
>>
>>55404058
because it's a pain (I share all the standard Linux-user complaints about it) and gaymen is the only thing I use it for.
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (967 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
967 KB, 1024x768
Building noob here.
What is this cable for? Where do I plug it?

The case is Antec GX500, I have all the other cables figured out but not this one, it's also confusing that it has two sides, and I don't have a manual and can't download it.
The lady in the overview video for newegg called it a molex cable.
>>
>>55404405
Its a power cable, probably for a fan
You plug it into your PSU
It has two sides so you can daisy chain it
>>
File: 1.jpg (96 KB, 1105x702) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
96 KB, 1105x702
Just found some product keys with msdn and has some other software in it. what do?
>>
>>55404431
thanks
I was thinking it might be that because I didn't know where the fans drew the power from but I had no clue about the daisy chaining
>>
In a market for a budget 24" monitor. Is pic related acceptable?
>>
>>55403989
How is that bait? I got a PS4 for free and have a media server over FTP. Everything I can find says that the only way to do it is to use Plex, but I'm not going to pay those faggots just so I can play shit from my own servers.
>>
>>55404125
CLion by far.
>>
>>55404438
Post them for glory!
>>
>>55404485
The free version of plex should do everything you need.
>>
What's the best gpu I can get for under $170?
>>
>>55404459
Yeah that's a pretty decent one. When you get it, be sure to play around with the overdrive option. It'll save your sanity playing fps and things that require low input time.
>>
>>55404538
The RX 470
>>
>>55404517
Did they actually add a free version? Last time I checked even playing videos on the local HDD required a subscription.
>>
Bhhgvvvvv
>>
>>55404619
Pergavervcicely
>>
What tea highlight mode to use for .ini ?
>>
I heard you could buy crypto locker kits, any tips on where? besides t0r
>>
File: coolermaster hyper 103.jpg (328 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
coolermaster hyper 103.jpg
328 KB, 1280x1024
Is this a good CPU cooler? I'm not planning on overclocking my processor btw.
>nice LEDs
>only 20 bucks
>looks nice
But it's probably shit, right?
>>
>>55404727
>I'm not planning on overclocking my processor
if you aren't overclocking the stock heatsink is enough
>>
Picked up a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 at a local thrift store. Battery, charger, stick of RAM and HDD.
One problem, the cord that attaches the charger input plug to the motherboard, it has AND written on it, is fried. I want to replace this but have no idea what it's called and how to buy another one.

Any input at all?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.