[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to get into a career as a programmer, I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png (4 KB, 152x152) Image search: [Google]
apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png
4 KB, 152x152
I'm looking to get into a career as a programmer, I have experince with a lot of different languages.

What is the most popular language to learn?

What language is going to be the most prevalent in the coming years?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-06-19_10-10-11.png (416 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-06-19_10-10-11.png
416 KB, 1600x900
stop worrying about the language and learn to program you fucking pleb
>>
>>55394671
So i should just learn any code ! perfect , ill start learning Cobalt right away.

I dont want to learn a language that might become useless.

Thats why I asked a question, you fucking nigger.
>>
>>55394671

This mainly.

But the language does matter if for example, you have to code in a functional language like Haskell, and you've been doing normal languages like Java and C#.

The lesson: Don't learn Haskell.
>>
>>55394634
bump
>>
java :^)
plottwist: I'm not shitposting
>>
>>55396306
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55394634
what do you want to do, faggot? saying "i want to be a programmer" is about as specific as saying "i want to sell things" or "i want to work with my hands"
>>
>I have experince with a lot of different languages
>What is the most popular language to learn?

Doesn't sound like you know that much.

Languages aren't going to help you that much to get a job,
most good places will care about experience and previous work,
and you can always learn a new language at work.

tl;dr learn Idris
>>
>>55394634
>>55394727
If you had any 'experience' you wouldn't be asking this stupid question
>>
>>55394634
Languages are tools.
Use the right tool for the right job.

What really matters in the end are only data structures and algorithms. Read Cormen from start to finish, do at least 30%, better 50% of the exercises. Come back in 12 month when you are done (not kidding this is how long it will take you).

Read a book on SQL (general SQL, not a specific one), maybe one on linear algebra in case you want to go into 3D applictions like games.

Now for the languages:
- Java: The Cobol of the 21th century, everywhere, sucky but you will probably never be jobless. Huge ecosystems of frameworks and library that have been created to counter the millions of flaws it has.
- C++ Like C except better. If you do anything that does heavy lifting like OS, Games, Simulations, even embedded and device driver stuff, C++ is your friend. Drawback: You have about 4 different languages in C++, it is unwise to use all in the same project, and just as unwise to only use one. This can be very confusing for beginners
- C everywhere when it comes to talking to the metal. More compact than C++, slower as of recently (not kidding), and less expressive.
- Javascript/HTML, Ruby, PHP. We dont talk about those. They are filth and trash, simply.
- Haskell: Can be _in combination with another mainstream language_ the guarantee for a well paid job. Alone, not so much. Will make you a better programmer even if you never use it again.
>>
>>55394634
C
Python
Ruby
Java
>>
>>55397230

> Javascript/HTML, Ruby, PHP. We dont talk about those. They are filth and trash, simply.

Idiot.

>Javascript/HTML

Those ARE the internet, matter of fact.

>Ruby

Arguably onw of the best langauges ever created, the string manipulations of Perl, the lambdas, currying (and much more) from Lisp..
You have no idea what you are talking about.

>PHP

Wether you like it or not, half the internet is PHP. Even 4chan is PHP.
>>
>>55397328
>Those ARE the internet, matter of fact.
Except that HTML is not a programming language and JS is the worlds greatest collection of worst cases when it comes to inventing programming languages

>Arguably onw of the best langauges ever created, the string manipulations of Perl, the lambdas, currying (and much more) from Lisp..
Useless without Rails.
Clumsy and restricting with it.
Total hipster shittier for a languages, slow and insecure

>Wether you like it or not, half the internet is PHP. Even 4chan is PHP.
> Even 4chan is PHP.
If there ever was a bigger reason to say no to a programming language...

>>55397230
Forgot Python:
Great language, easy to learn not too slow, (not exactly fast either), can be used to automate Word like VBA but also to control HPCs thanks to easy integration with C-libraries.
Tons of libraries and frameworks available for every use.
>>
>>55397230
- C#: Java but good.
>>
>>55394671
Haha what the fuck is this?
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>55397435

>Except that HTML is not a programming language

>hurr, muh markup language not turing complete butthurtness

BTW you brought HTML up, buddy.

> JS is the worlds greatest collection of worst cases

OP didn't ask for cool langauges, but for "the most prevalent in the coming years". Count the websites that work without JavaScript..

>Useless without Rails.

Wrong.
It's a damn fine scripting language (preinstalled on mac).

Also there are tons of cool Ruby web frameworks.

Rails is very popular, but not necessarily the best ruby framework for every task.

>Total hipster shittier for a languages, slow and insecure

Le hipster meme..

Sorry that it didn't fit your peer group, but why not trying it instead of talking about things you don't know shit about?

Ruby is amazing for it's purpose and you can devellop faster than in any other langauge.

>Forgot Python: Great language..

Ahh, I should have know.

Just the usual "Python guys being assblasted"..
>>
>>55398328
Opinion.
Discarded.
>>
>>55398328
>BTW you brought HTML up, buddy.
And discarded it immediately.
Do you even read, bro?

>It's a damn fine scripting language (preinstalled on mac).
Hahaha, I should have known, a macfag.
Did your aids already start attacking your brain?
Ruby is and stays garbage.

>Ruby is amazing for it's purpose and you can devellop faster than in any other langauge.
Yeah no.
Fastest would be Haskell, then mb. Python, then C++ or Java.

Seriously, I can smell the curry in your breath over the internet, go back to Stackoverflow or keep working on your H1B application, Raij!
>>
>>55398450

Ruby is faster than Python, senpai..
>>
>>55398477
Natively maybe.
But not when you use Python as gluecode for C-libraries that do the heavy lifting.
>>
>>55394634
I feel like Perl is making a comeback
>>
File: 202 - 7zLi8zD.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
202 - 7zLi8zD.gif
2 MB, 400x300
At most universities in my country we start with this: HTML --> CSS --> Javascript --> Java --> any object oriented programming --> Then learn the language you want to learn. ///You will know what you want to learn after this point
>>
>>55398936
>Flu --> Pest --> Cholera --> Cancer -->
Where is this university located? Bumfuck Hyderabad?
>>
>>55394727
You don't realize how stupid you sound because you don't know how to program, but I just had to drop in to tell you how stupid you are.
>>
Every coding interview I've ever done let me program in my language of choice.
>>
>>55398936
This is retarded. HTML is not even a programming language and will not teach you anything about CS.

Go C -> C++ -> Java -> Whatever you want
>>
>>55399062
I can tell you this. If I meet a someone who told me he codes in c/c++/java and then told me he could not code in html/css/jc. I would assume he is either retarded or lying.
>>
>>55394634
The fact of the matter is that programming is a process and programming language syntax is incidental. You will employ many of the same techniques no matter whether you're writing a program in C, Python or Haskell.

A good solid place to start that forces you to learn good techniques and memory management is C or C++, which is why a lot of universities start there. You may find yourself writing code in JavaScript for Node applications or in Python or whatever later on down the line, but time spent learning (at least the basics of) C/C++ will not be wasted.
>>
>>55399094
Why would an embedded system programmer ever look up HTML shit?

If I had to I could make a website but if I didn't have any reference I literally couldn't make one more basic than <h1> tags. Don't even remember syntax for CSS because I never actually learned it beyond editing wordpress things.

I assume JC is JS and if you know C, C++ and Java learning the syntax for a new language and using it would take a few days. There is no reason to randomly know things you don't use in your life.
>>
>>55394634
Idris
>>
>>55399062
So I could go C -> C++ -> Java -> Scheme -> Haskell - > FORTH -> APL -> Idris?
>>
>>55399175
C/C++ teaches you fundamentals of the computer and memory management and you can actually read the disassembly of C well enough.

Java introduces you to heavy OO language design and from there you can do what you want.

It's really dumb to start programming with something like Javascript.
>>
>>55399127
if you're a electrical engineer major. Then it's ok only knowing C/Assembly etc. But if you're any other major focusing mainly on programming. Then not knowing this shit is just hilarious.
>>
>>55399201
Functional > OO
>>
>>55399223
Actually I agree with you and think people should really learn more about functional programming.

>>55399215
I am a CS major and I never used HTML my entire course. Why would I? Do you even know what CS is? You sound like some faggot who went to school for web development and thinks that is what proper "programmers" are while your jobs get outsourced to India because even high school girls can write HTML because it has jack shit to do with programming.
>>
File: 1466983853482.jpg (36 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
1466983853482.jpg
36 KB, 500x494
>>55399259
I'm a Computer Engineer and I know everything you know and even more. Pls. Shits like you that are too lazy to pick up a book and learn baby syntax quickly should just go home. Programming is not for you boy.
>>
>>55399322
I have yet to meet a computer engineer who knows about cache optimizations or honestly anything useful.
>>
File: 73991-fig.gif (61 KB, 587x357) Image search: [Google]
73991-fig.gif
61 KB, 587x357
Why even compete
>>
File: 1467159869078.jpg (37 KB, 540x531) Image search: [Google]
1467159869078.jpg
37 KB, 540x531
>"learn to program you fucking pleb"
>fizzbuzz.c
>archey
>>
File: trig.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
trig.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>55394727
>learn any code
>any code

>cobalt

>pic related

although, if you're actually serious: Java may be a meme, but it's easy to use, universal, and best of all, it's a buzzword
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.