[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Case grounding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160703_180828.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160703_180828.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Lets get a thread going about grounding our cases?

Turns out, that the PSU case is grounded, so the idea is that the whole case plus all the electronics connected should be grounded too. Not quite, since they started painting those cases they are basically NOT GROUNDED. Why is that? Are they stupid or something?
>>
>grounding
Meh, been running all my computers ungrounded for the last 15 years.
I just avoid touching the case and the radiator at the same time.
>>
>>55392506
Because all of the dangerous voltage are contained inside the PSU case.
So, theoretically if something short you're already protected.
>>
>>55392506
Protip, your car is painted too, but the parts are still grounded because screws cut through the paint.
>>
what an idiot
>>
>>55393325
yes that's the idea, but the screw cuts only on the PSU, the hole is larger on the case /doesn't cut in/

i have tested it with a multimeter, the resistance was very high and charge was building everywhere

this is actually a legit issue

>>55393386
your argument is invalid
>>
>>55392506
Its fine. The case doesnt need to be grounded. Plus it grounds through your motherboard, cd drives, pcie cards etc.
>>
that sounds a little oversimplified

the powdercoat they use isn't ideal and the bonding will go up, but it should still be conductive enough that the voltage drop is minimal
>>
My entire house isn't even grounded. None of my sockets have the extra pin. Nothing ever happened though. Starting to think grounding is a meme.
>>
>>55392506
Grounding a case will improve sound quality.

It will remove all the buzzing and artificial noise
>>
I have shag carpet in my room.
Piece of cardboard underneath the case did wonders.
>>
>>55395017
If grounding is a meme then jam a fork into the outlet
>>
>>55395032
exactly the opposite
>>
>>55395143

grounding has fuck all to do with that
>>
>>55396100
It does help to get rid of the 50/60hz hum in most cases.
>>
>>55392506
The case is grounded, through the mainboard standoffs, connected to the mainboard, connected to the PSU ground.
>>
>>55392506
If the painting gets in the way of the grounding then it would get in the way of the current if it came into contact with live power as well.
>>
the big pin is a ground pin you blithering idiots
>>
>>55396705
Not in most cases (Ground loop)
>>
>>55396889
Case being grounded has more to do with EMI shielding then electrical safety.
>>
>>55395134
Not putting it on the floor would do even more wonders, especially for dust accumulation.
>>
>>55393551
Wait...
ATX black wires are ground
Ground on the mobo connects to all the pads around the screwholes
screw goes into standoff
standoff goes into case metal
Shouldn't that ground the case?

If it still doesn't, try scraping a little paint off around the screwholes for the PSU.
>>
>>55392506
All voltafe coming out of the psu comes under the selv section of voltage so no one realy gives a fuck you might get a quick tingle if you touch the case while also touching an earthed point its not going to harm you
>>
>>55397483
>Case being grounded has more to do with EMI shielding then electrical safety
This is probably the dumbest thing I have read on 4chan all week.
>>
>>55398042
DC ground is different to AC ground.
You don't really want them to share a common ground. Bad things could happen.
>>
>>55398014
Mines on the ground as well, with a slab of corrugated plastic cut to be essentially invisible under it. As long as you have filters it's fine. I don't get much dust, and I smoke stuff up there sometimes. Also have a cat that likes to rub on the intake when the computer is on.
>>
>>55392506
>ince they started painting those cases they are basically NOT GROUNDED
so did you actually measure and check that, or did you pull that out of your ass?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.