[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First selfbuild config
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: noctis.jpg (91 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
noctis.jpg
91 KB, 800x800
Hi, i'm gonna build my first pc, i have spent a lot of time for all the components and i would like to know what you overall think about it to see if i made it right or not.
By the way, i would like to play / stream / make videos. Is it a correct build for that or would you change something ?

CPU : Intel Core I5 6600K

MB : Asus Z170-A-ATX - LGA1151

GPU : (hard to chose here, i wait for the 1060 but w/e..) so :
GTX 980Ti (some reduction so i can have one for 470bucks) OR
GTX 1070.

RAM : Hyperx savage 2x8gb 2400mhz CL12

SSD : Hyperx savage 120gb just for the OS

SSD : Samsung EVO 850 MZ-75E500B/EU
500gb for games.

HDD : Seagate ST2000DX001 3,5" 2Tb SATA3

AirCooling : Noctua NH-U12S

Case : Noctis 450, white.

(i have a 850watt Thermaltake Alimentation from my old computer).
>>
Up, i really need some help here, /wsr is empty :x
>>
>>55390699
get a gigabyte z170x-UD3, instead of the Z170-A, i've gone through 2 of those boards and i'm still having issues.
or even a z170-pro gaming.
>>
Well, strangely, it's not a big surprise, some people are complaining about the Z170, seems it's all or nothing with it..

i'm gonna take a look to your advice, thanks.

What do you think about MSI Z170A Gaming Pro.
It was my first choice but it's hard to find the unanimity on a MB
>>
If you don't plan to overclock, save some money and get the non-k version and drop the cooler, stock on the non-k would be fine.
If you plan to render videos a lot, it would be WELL worth it to get the i7 6700/k
Gpu choice is fine, although you may want the 1070 instead of the 980ti because of that drop to 16nm process and the fact that it will be supported well into the future.
16gb ram is fine.
Ssds and hdd is fine.
I don't know if Thermaltake is a good psu company, if it ever dies a good seasonic, flower power, or evga g2 are good brands, maybe around 500watts.
>>
>>55391312
Stay away from MSI, gaymurr focused company with bad QC
>>
Why not grab some 3200mhz ddr4 it you're gonna buy a z170 board. You can get 2 4gb modules for like $50
>>
>>55391403
I hesitate a lot with the i7 6700/k, the price made the difference.. but yeah, i will need to encode while i play so...
what the main difference / gain if i get the i7 instead of the i5?

About the gpu, do you think i have to wait for the 1060's release or not ?

My alimentation is 5years old, got no problem with it, that's why i keep it at the moment, it keeps me some money for other parts and 850watts is supposed to let me free for an SLI in a year i guess.

>>55391434
Okay, anyway, the previous advice for the gigabyte z170x-UD3, changed my mind, seems to be a great MB for its price !
>>
>>55391585
Fine but what about the CL
Actually, 2400 mhz for 12CL is the best ratio i've seen, correct me if i'm wrong.
>>
>>55391611
1060 will probably be better than the 980ti or at least match it, so it's your choice whether you want to wait for it (next month or so) or just use the ti

The i5 has 4 physical cores (4 logical cores) to process video on. The i7 has 4 physical cores but with hypwrthreading, meaning that each core acts like 2 logical cores in the OS (8 logical cores), giving you much more room to encode. For example, you could assign 4 logical cores to encode a video and the other 4 to a game you want to play - this would be faster than assigning 2 and 2 with the i5.

If price is a limitation, the i5 will work well due to also being a skylake with a high IPC (instructions per clock). But be wary that multitasking with heavy applications will not be as efficient than on an i7.
>>
>>55391680
Okay, i didn't knew about the hypwrthreading, this explains a lot about the benchmarks, it's almost everytime x2 better than i5 6600k or 1/3 better result in all categories except video games where the results are almost the same.
Do i still need the cooler if i go for the i7 ?

By the way, what do you think about the 3200Mhz ddr4 suggestion just above ?
>>
>>55391850
It's called hyperthreading, sorry for my typo.
I think if you get the i7 6700 (non-k) then you get a cooler in the box, but the i7 6700k doesn't have a cooler, though I am not 100% sure.

If you do go with the non-k version, stock cooler would be fine, since you can't overclock anyways. If you want to overclock in the future, keep your noctua, and get the i7 6700k.

As long as it's ddr4, it should be fine. I am not sure about the true benefit of faster ram, but from this website: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72710 , the jump in clockspeed does not make much of a difference. I would say stick with your current ram.
>>
>>55391955
Okay, i guess they do not put a cooler with overclockable processors to avoid problems with warranties like "gosh, this intel cooler rly sucks on my OC wtf".
Anyway, i will think about it, i have never try to OC right now but maybe it's time to start!

Thanks for all your advices, you helped me a lot, i'm gonna change the MB, maybe CPU and wait the 7 or 14 of july for the 1060 (it seems they changed the release time, just a reddit things so maybe not).

Thanks again and sorry for my mistakes if mistakes you find, english isn't my native.
>>
>>55392172
All good m8, good luck in your build
>>
>>55392172
OC is as easy as installing a motherboard utility and pushing the OC button. Get a modest OC of like 4.4ghz pretty easy at low temps.

Some people like to mess around with it to push as much as possible but that CPU is so strong I don't need extra power for anything anyway.
>>
>>55390699
I don't see an optical drive listed...you must be a complete and total failure.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.