[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get hired as a programmer? I kniw C, C++, C# and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1466795777543.png (171 KB, 450x290) Image search: [Google]
1466795777543.png
171 KB, 450x290
How do you get hired as a programmer?

I kniw C, C++, C# and plenty of everything.

The jobs listed require PHP and other web-related stuff, which I'd prefer to not do (web in general).
>>
Usually they overestimate what you need to know. Just go in with what u have and you'll be fine.
>>
No I mean I see web as being beneath me. Been programming for 7 years in "real" languages
>>
>>55388750
PHP, SQL and other web languages are easy as hell. Experienced programmers can learn that shit in a few weeks.
>>
Most programming jobs are fairly specialized and don't actually require formal schooling. If you have a working knowledge of c# (gasp I know) c++, and Python you are pretty much good to go in one of the most "sought after" fields for the casual programmer- video gaming programming.

You can expect a decent salary for work that is actually incredibly simple, most people just don't have the patience or fortitude to do it. If you are already interested give it a look, most companies will hire you without a degree, and judge you on your actual knowledge. This includes larger companies.

If you are interested in slightly more "reputable" programming, I'd suggest getting into SQL. This will grab you a very in demand job and could even land you in 6-7 figure salary range with a couple of years experience.

JavaScript has been around for a while, but is still a classic go to for many start up businesses wherein the owner has no fucking idea what they are doing when creating a marketable web page. This is a great tool to learn if you value your independence and want to be a more "self sufficient" freelance programmer, able to take many jobs at once rather than work as part of a larger team.

PHP and JavaScript go hand in hand somewhat and you can reach similar goals with them, I'd recommend learning as many languages as possible, as this can actually increase your knowledge concurrently. Problem solving is a skill, and coding is a very good way to hone that skill, learning many languages allows you to sharpen your critical thinking and will in effect make you a more likely hire for prospective jobs.

TL;DR

It sounds like you want to keep away from web, so your best bet is going to be SQL if you are really wanting to get hired fast. If you DONT have a working knowledge of Java, I'd recommend you at least dipping your toes, it's worth it to yourself to experience one of the building blocks of modern coding.

>source:coding for 15 years, professionally 6
>>
>>55388877
But I already know them.
>>
>>55388783
If the pay is good, web is easy as shit if you know C and C++, the transition makes shit much easier
>>
>>55388750
Seek employment in scientific research, robotics, automation or game development if you want to avoid web development.

I can't express how much I despise all forms of web development, so I understand your position.

Unfortunately for standard programming jobs you simply can't avoid web dev anymore. Internet has become so ubiquitous there's simply no escape. Desktop applications and "offline" things in general are on decline since normies use the cloud on their phones and macbooks 24/7 so now we all suffer for it.
>>
>>55388898
What if I wrote an indie game myself?

>>55388910
I'm working on my degree still for something that serious.
>>
>>55388898
Edit: on mobile, can't edit but you get the point.

Just saw that you know SQL, that's all you need. Pick a field you'd like to enter, and build a small workable program that applies to that field. It doesn't have to be thousands of lines of code long, but should have a purpose. When finding a job without a degree you need to show you UNDERSTAND WHAT to code, not how. Anyone can learn code, but critically thinking and showing initiative will get you much higher marks on a job application than simply showing static "knowledge". Apply what you know to the field you want to work in - I.e., a program to pull data and table it for a small company and extrapolate long term business forecast etc.

This will get you the job of your dreams, if said job is your dream. If not I'm not sure what kind of coding you are wanting or what you expect from it.

If it's video games you are after like I said, build a working code model in unity or something similar, unity is free so I suggest using it to start as it is very user friendly, and once you have a demonstrable knowledge with building the code for the physics of the game your hired. It's really that simple. Coding is extremely in demand and a monkey can do it, you just have to be the monkey doing it to get paid.
>>
>>55388973
I made pong with C++.
>>
>>55388919
If you wrote an indie game your on the right track. You can actually publish on steam for free if it's using UNITY, I think unreal is open source now too... Don't quote me. Take your code you have written apply it to whatever engine you want to use and either finish building out your indie game and publish it on steam, or take the code you have, present it to a developer and see where it goes from there. You aren't revolutionizing coding so you have nothing to fear about large companies stealing your methodology or code, but presenting them with working code is a huge bonus, especially if you can explain the methodology behind your code.

Cheers bud, I'm not sure if I helped much but good luck. If you have any questions I'll try to help, I started out as an indie dev and quit dev schooling bc I felt I was wasting tuition on shit I already knew. I made a right choice as I was hired without a degree by a globally known company, and worked there for several years on many major AAA titles.

Without doxing myself I'll say the company was "tool square", and their major headquarters is actually near me so it all worked out fine.
>>
What extra knowledge do you need to become an embedded C++ coder for science systems?
>>
The amount of shitposting in this thread is unreal.
>>
>>55390079
> butthurt php fag detected
>>
>>55390092
What? How on earth could you guess that based on what I said?
>>
>>55388919
>macbooks
How are they in responsible for the decline of desktop applications? If anything I feel they're drawing more people to it.
>>
Everyone on here always says you don't need a degree but Everytime I search indeed for programming jobs they always require at least a bachelor's or previous experience or both.
>>
>>55392304
Degrees from good schools where you actually learn a lot at a high pace are valuable.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.