[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be realistic: AMD's in debt dept, and its been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 14
File: vr.png (89 KB, 289x206) Image search: [Google]
vr.png
89 KB, 289x206
Let's be realistic: AMD's in debt dept, and its been going down a long downward spiral financially. The company is eventually to be bought out.

WHEN that happens, what happens to the industry?

Anti-monopoly laws aren't going to come into effect because both nVidia and Intel still have Intel and any company making ARM processors as competitors, respectively.

I honestly don't see Intel price gouging as actually happening - it's in their best interests to keep prices low so the desktop platform stays alive. They're already having trouble competing with new platforms, why make it worse? They'll definitely have more control over the platform when AMD dies, so positive things MIGHT actually happen to the desktop/laptop platform. Of course, the enthusiast/high end side of things is going to be ridiculously expensive, but the mainstream might actually get cheaper.

I can maybe see nvidia jacking up prices because discrete GPUs are a luxury item and gamers need their fix, but in the long term that would hammer the nail in pre-built PC GPU use's coffin, which accounts for significant portion of their business.

Maybe whoever buys out AMD will actually want to compete in those markets instead of just for assets/patents. That could make for an interesting turn of events.

Anyone have any thoughts? Like I said, I SERIOUSLY doubt government intervention will effect intel/nvidia, they still have competitors in the form of each other, and anyone who does ARM.
>>
Learn English before posting here Rajesh
>>
>>55387915
VIA and PowerVR still do exist, and aren't doing that bad for themselves.

Also, little known fact is nvidia has a chip that can run x86 code, quite well infact. It's in the nexus 9.
>>
>>55387925
i dont see any engrish
>>
>>55387925
What's wrong with the english? Is there a grammar mistake bothering you?
>>
>>55387915
whoever buys amd, video card department will be sold separately since it actually makes money for amd.
>>
File: 1345434502376.png (69 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1345434502376.png
69 KB, 285x276
>it's 3dfx all over again
>>
The Radeon department will be sold separately probably, because there's a lot of legal shit I don't quite understand with x86 rights for AMD not being transferrable if they're bought out or something. My guess is Samsung would buy them because they want their engineers and IP for mobile chipsets/GPUs. It was literally made to happen. AMD names their architectures after stars, what is made of stars? The Galaxy R (for Radeon) GPU!
>>
>>55388061
AMD names their architectures after islands you retard
>>
>>55388074
>Polaris
>Vega
>islands
>>
>>55388074
>islands
what is brisbane
>>
>>55388061
AMD actually sold their mobile GPU department to Qualcomm AGES ago.

Adreno = rAdeon

AMD doesn't have any useful assets as far as low power platforms ago, they're between 2-4 years behind everyone else.

I suspect samsung is interested in purchasing AMD for the patents and assets, or having a motorola/lenovo arrangement
>>
>>55388061
the x86 license is non-transferable

its likely intel will just license out some other company, perhaps samsung or renew VIA's license
>>
>>55387915
I can't see it making a shit of difference, the only places where AMD is truly competitive with Intel are the smallest markets with the shittiest profit margins like gayming and low-end consumer shitboxes, Intel already pretty much controls the bulk-order enterprise sector, most mid-range and above OEM systems, and most laptops.
>>
The 480 is actually being hallmarked as hands down the best GPU mining card to come out yet, and will soon start getting bought out all over and AMD is going to make huge bank.

R9 480 is basically a GPU miners wet dream. Great hashrate and low power consumption, but high supply.

AMD also expected this and I wouldn't be surprised if hashers are their target audience, since a single miner will often by 30-50 cards for one rig.

So reportedly the 480 will have about 25x the supply of previous cards to handle the incoming demand (there are already miners stating they have dozens of 480s on preorder/order right now)

AMD is going to make fucking bank off off this, the 480 was a mining card.

The 490 will be the gaming card.
>>
>>55388095
What I meant is that Samsung would prioritize having AMD's engineers work on mobile. Raja Koduri was at Apple working on powering their "retina" shit before AMD, so the skill set is there at AMD to work on mobile devices.
>>
>>55388128
>GPU mining
>2016
are you retarded
>>
>>55388128
Mining wasn't that great for AMD. http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/05/25/why-did-nvidia-win-the-gpu-market/#7b341d963559
>>
>>55388128
>mining with GPUs
>miners being a significant share of consumers
derp derp
>>
>>55388089
The best city on a very large island.
>>
>>55388176
But each miner buys a lot of GPUs. Miners can make stock issues significantly worse with how many GPUs they buy.
>>
>>55388147
the skill set is definitely not there

those engineers can''t magically go from having their expertise be in a 30-300 watt range to have to work with sub 15 watts.

Technical expertise does not work that way.
>>
>>55388198
They can make stock issues a problem at launch, sure. But thats because they buy them all at the same retailer at once, not because they account for significant share of the market.

They account for less than 1% of sales.

Plus, NOBODY uses GPU's for mining anymore, especially not the type that drops thousands of dollars on mining equipment.
specialized chips (the name escapes me). GPU's are nowhere near efficient at the task anymore, and haven't been for years.
>>
>>55388219
***They buy specialized chips (the name escapes me) or FPGAs.
>>
what i don't understand is how we're whittled down to just one fucking company

how is it that with all this "tech madness" in the last decade we've only got the red and green teams?
>>
>>55388200
OK then, Raja Koduri himself has experience on mobile. Happy?
>>
>>55388157
Ethereum is the second biggest coin right now, and unlike BTC, ETH can ONLY be mined by GPUs, especially AMD gpus.

ASIC based mining doesnt work on ETH, which means GPU mining is the way to go.

>>55388165
>>55388198

Go look up what happend to the R9 290/290x, and the 7950 because of demand from miners. Literally couldnt find the card anywhere except from scalpers on ebay since the cards were completely bought out by miners running 100 card+ rigs that took up entire rooms to make mad bank.

And you know what? It's those miners buying out entire markets of GPUs that probably kept AMD afloat. And the only reason AMD didn't make even more money was because the miners LITERALLY BOUGHT ALL THEY COULD.

So now enter this new profitable fancy card that beats the old ones by a landslide, and AMD has basically said 'go ahead, try and buy them all, we have a nearly infinite supply'

AMD is going to make crazy money on the Polaris series, so pumped.
>>
>>55388236
High barriers to entry.

Markets with high barriers to entry tend to form natural monopolies, like utilities, oil companies, telecom companies, supplies etc..
>>
>>55388219
>>55388234
You two are thinking of ASICs and the second biggest coin right now, Ethereum, cannot be mined with ASICs due to design.

Bitcoin is mined with ASICs, and Ethereum is mined with GPUs.

GPU mining isn't dead, it just moved from bitcoin to Eth, and Ethereum miners have entire rooms full of AMD gpus to mine with since Eth algorithm is optimized for OpenGL, which is AMD's focus on their cards.

CUDA does well from Nvidia but the low cost and low power consumption of Polaris cards makes them beat the shit out of any other card, making the 480 the only choice for Eth mining as of its release.
>>
>>55388249
That also means that gamers had to buy Nvidia because AMD cards weren't in stock, and a lot of those people now have brand loyalty to Nvidia.
>>
>>55388249
Sweet summer child. I miss when the world looked so simple like you imagine it is.

Miners. Do. Not. Matter.

I know it might seem like everyone does it because you're immersed in the culture, but they're in insignificant percentage of the market for a company like AMD.

It would take DOZENS of wildly successful launches of both CPU's and GPU's to dig AMD out of their deep financial rut. They've been in a decline for the past decade and it's not looking better.

>>55388275
Even if they can't use ASIC's, miners do not matter.

now that you've got my interest, Why don't they use FPGA's instead ?
>>
ITT: AMD fanboys and delusional miners ignoring the writing on the wall
>>
When's Intel going to start making proper gpus?
>>
File: W-intel-xeon-phi_tcm21-395006.png (105 KB, 420x248) Image search: [Google]
W-intel-xeon-phi_tcm21-395006.png
105 KB, 420x248
>>55388314
>>
>>55388128
fuck off with the scam coin
>>
Let's not get off track: no one gives a fuck about mining.

I foresee intel actually implementing all the wacky shit they try to impose on PC manufacturers, they'll have a lot more power to make demands on OEMs now.

We might see some cool form factors, or end up with a shitton of useless features.
>>
>>55388314
I doubt they ever will. They'll just continue improving the iGPUs on their processors, and maybe one day video game graphics will plateau so that eventually Intel's iGPUs will be able to play games at an acceptable level.

Or maybe if they buy AMD as it was rumored a while ago, they'd keep the Radeon division alive. But I highly doubt the FTC would be OK with Intel buying AMD unless they were forced to open up the x86_64 license to others or something.
>>
>>55388299
FPGAs dont work either by design.

Eth mining requires 2-4 GB PER CORE, and FPGA/ASICs don't even have a single GB/core, they can't handle Eth's algorithm (designed on purpose)

Consider this: R9 290x and 290 were jacked up almost 50% in price by scalpers on ebay because it was (and still is) exceptionally difficult to buy them anywhere due to Eth miners completely and utterly exhausting stocks everywhere.

When was the last time any video card had that happen to it due to gamers? Gamers only upgrade their cards every few years, and they will buy maybe 1-2.

Miners constantly buy the latest versions of cards, especially right when they first come out asap. They buy hundreds of cards EACH, and when new cards come out they instantly start upgrading.

I dunno bro but considering the fact that AMD has acknowledged the fact that older cards sold out of stock due to miners and coincidentally mentioned they have dramatically increased the stock of the new cards... pretty sure miners actually are having a huge impact on keeping AMD afloat.

And if it keeps happening, AMD will rise back up.
>>
>>55388342
the FTC very likely does not give a fuck about x86 anymore, considering intel considers ARM it's biggest competitor, not AMD.
>>
Amd is doing bad for the x time

Ati is as usual

They come up with a good thing

Good time

Intel deploys the jewish tricks

At the same time amd flops

Amd is "finished"

Repeat

>ati

Gpu shit flinging

Ati and nvidia fuck up in several ways each year

Repeat
>>
File: kdwok.png (7 KB, 263x127) Image search: [Google]
kdwok.png
7 KB, 263x127
>>55388352
they are not impacting AMD financially
>>
>>55388339
Your opinion on the coin itself doesnt change the fact stores all over the world were so consistantly sold out of 290/290x cards, scalpers had them up for sale for 50% higher prices on ebay.

And this wasnt something happening during early release when there was high demand.

This happened well after release when most gamers already had their card, which means that impact was pretty much strictly miners.
>>
File: amd.png (108 KB, 261x725) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
108 KB, 261x725
>>55388369
All that needs to be said is in this picture. The numbers have been like this for the past decade.

The company is going to run out of assets, miners or no miners.
>>
>>55388366
And how do you support that claim?

If miners didn't exist AMD may very well have had much bigger losses.
>>
>>55388366
Don't take my word for it.

Just wait and see how hard it will be to get your hands on a 480 in a month or two once EthOS can support 480s and the big league miners can use them in their rigs.

You'll notice suddenly every store (just like when it happened with the 290/290x) will have them on backorder for months on end, and you'll see 480s for sale on ebay for 300-350 bucks.

And selling. Fast.
>>
>>55388353
They consider ARM their biggest competitor, but that doesn't mean the FTC wouldn't be worried about a lack of competition in x86. Even if the desktop PC market dies to ARM, enterprise use of x86 will still be very lucrative. AMD is almost non existent in that market, but it's still enough for the FTC to want Intel to have competition there if Intel bought AMD.
>>
File: idiot.png (4 KB, 256x67) Image search: [Google]
idiot.png
4 KB, 256x67
>>55388384
>>55388387
every single quarter these numbers look the same
>>
>>55388395
>posting the same numbers 3 times
That pic only supports your argument if the world is a vacuum where miners are the only factor.
>>
>>55388394
The FTC does not care about competition in x86, the market is changing and they are aware of it. It is their job to be aware of these things.

It doesn't matter if Intel is the only x86 game in town, because they have competition in the server market, LOTS of it. POWER, MIPs, etc....

No worries from the FTC
>>
>>55388395
We'll see what next quarter looks like when EthOS supports the 480.

Remember: the 290 and 290x were bought out so much AMD simply couldnt even supply enough for the demand.

The 480 will actually give us a true show of just how hungry miners can be.

I wonder if they are up to it. A lot of the reason miners only ran up to 100 or whatever cards was simply because supply dwindled so they stopped there, since remaining supply required paying double or even triple price for cards.

If the supply hadn't dwindled, just how long they would keep buying cards is hard to say.
>>
>>55388382
Financial statement only show assets acquired through transaction.
>>
File: bad.png (2 KB, 205x28) Image search: [Google]
bad.png
2 KB, 205x28
>>55388407
>>55388416
you guys really have no idea how massive AMD is, and how much income they need to turn a profit do you?

They've been posting losses for the better part of a decade, and that was even with Bitcoin mining at it's peak with people buying hundreds of AMD cards.

Some miners on the coin of the week aren't going to save the company. Hell, even a 3 year string of successful products would. Only a massive systemic change will, because they're too attached to a shrinking market, that their marketshare is only shrinking of.

The graphics division might be fine and dandy, but that minds DIDDLY SQUAT when the rest of the company is dying.

It doesn't help that they have the worst management in the industry.
>>
>>55387915

Sapphire RX 480 is right now the most sold GPU n amazon, and the 3rd PC component in sales. Stock is rising. Your argument a shit.
>>
>>55388442
*means

I'm sure if they jettisoned Radeon graphics it would do great as an independent company, but AMD as whole has been dying a long, slow death do to poor management, factors outside their control, and bad sales.
>>
>>55388442
You claim that miners are not impacting AMD financially.

If they keep buying all the AMD stock, how are they not impacting AMD financially?
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1200x675
>>55388465
>I'm sure if they jettisoned Radeon graphics it would do great as an independent company
I think Raja Koduri would agree.
>>
>>55388465
Well you could at least post next quarter's revenues, you know, the ones that might actually be impacted by the 480.

AMD really was putting a lot of resources into the 480 paying off since they even delayed their high end cards for it.
>>
>>55387915
>anti monopoly laws
There are also other companies making discrete desktop graphics cards so it wouldn't be a 'monopoly' in the same way Windows isn't a monopoly on the desktop PC market. They're just not very good cards.
>>
>>55388476
dont misconstrue my argument. everyone buying a product from AMD impacts them financially. The problem is even their entire GPU department doesn't matter enough to save the company. It's been going through a downward spiral for the better part of a decade for a variety of reasons, and their assets are slowly but surely dwindling

they are going to be bought out by a larger company. the question isn't if, it's when and by who
>>
>>55388505
See >>55388366
>they are not impacting AMD financially
That's what I had a problem with.

>everyone buying a product from AMD impacts them financially.

So you admit you were wrong since you're now contradicting yourself.
>>
>>55388486
do you have a time machine?

anyway, IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW GOOD THEIR GRAPHICS CARDS SELL. it is not enough. even if their graphics cards were perfect and had more than 30% of the market IT WOULD NOT BE ENOUGH.

>>55388521
i dont care about the pedantic bullshit, quote my exact words, it doesnt change one bit what im trying to say
>>
>>55388542
>pedantic bullshit
>What I'm trying tosay
Now you're backpedalling.
Just admit you were wrong.

You said sales from miners don't impact them financially.
Fucking idiot.
>>
>>55388562
im not backing peddling, miners will not impact anything them significantly financially

ill start being more exact if you want to be pedantic, it clearly bothers your autism that im not speaking literally, i apologize for upsetting you
>>
>>55388579
remove either the word them, or the word anything from the first sentence, i slipped one in by mistake
>>
>>55388579
This is backpedalling.
>No, I didn't mean it literally.

Just admit you were wrong.

And is your shift key broken?
>>
>>55388597
no, im not wrong

miners will not impact them financially, other than in the most literal sense
>>
>>55388542
Let's see; they're approx 100 million in the hole every quarter, and they'd need to sell, assuming they make $50 profit on each 480 they sell:
2 million 480s.

See? You could have just used a little maths and estimation to show that it's very unlikely that 480s will push them to the black.

Even changing the profit margin to $100 only takes that to a million, and greater than that is unreasonable.
Sales for things like GPUs in a single quarter won't go above 200,000 even if they sold like hotcakes.
>>
>>55388562
I think the point he is making is GPUs are only one part of AMD and though the money from GPUs help, AMD also has useless as fuck CPUs.

Unless...

Their next CPUs at the end of the year are just as big a deal.

I dunno though AMD is really into this whole APU thing and... it doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Ehhhh
>>
>>55388604
Fix your shift key, stud.
>>
>>55388608
i didnt think i needed to do the math for him, and thats 2 million 480's on top of what they normally sell every quarter
>>
Who would be the worst company to buy AMD? My vote is Microsoft.
>>
>>55388608
>losses are 100% constant.
>>
>>55388637
he was averaging the losses every quarter for the past few years

it's also an estimate - its suppose to illustrate how difficult of a proposition AMD recovering is
>>
>>55388637
Net income per quarter:
q1 2016: -109 million
q4 2015: -102million
q3 2015: -197million
q2 2015: -181millon
q1 2015: -180million

i can keep going but its all the same or worse
>>
>>55388632
MS ruins everything they touch.
>>
>>55388645
Well, they do have the contracts for the next gen PS and Xbox SOCs, and the rumor that their taking moar coars with zen opterons up to the next level (32 Zen cores on a single package is the rumor) is getting increasingly persistent and strong. If that latter one proves true, and the performance is competitive, AMD could easily take back a significant amount of HPC and server marketshare.
>>
Is it possible that Google would have any interest buying AMD? Google already makes their own co processor thing to help with AI because they needed a more specialized processor for that. I'm sure Google would want AMD's patents and other IP for that. They might not make consumer GPUs though if they did that, just enterprise tier stuff.
>>
>>55388670
q4 2014: -364 million
q3 2014: 14 million
q2 2014: -36 million
q1 2014: -20 million

2013 and older the net income is not immediately available for me to see so it would take me a few minutes to get, but its publicly available and free to access
>>
>>55388707
"take back"? they never had a significant marketshare. they sold a few opterons here and there but theyve never been a major player, not like intel or IBM
>>
>>55387915
AMD will live on
>>
>>55388740
In spirit, by selling themselves to a larger and more successful company
>>
>>55387915
they'll be fine

though if they die and we have an intel/nvidia monopoly, I'll just laugh at all the idiots who supported that nonsense
>>
AMD is still doing Playstation's APU. That shit sells you know
>>
>>55388738
It'd be a hell of alot better than the measly fraction of a percent they have now.

And lets face it, for some applications, having a metric fuckton of Haswell-tier (the serious fucking hope that they're at least that strong) cores is very very attractive to some people, and intel would not have anything to counter it on a sheer core count scale, as their highest chip only yields 22C well out of a 24C die.
>>
>>55387915
>I SERIOUSLY doubt government intervention will effect intel/nvidia
>intervention will effect intel/nvidia
>effect intel/nvidia
>effect
Rohit can't into English
>>
>>55388776
That has a very low profit margin. It would be enough to keep the Radeon group alive, but not AMD as a whole.
>>
AMD only currently exists due to massive cash reserves from the athlon 64 days.

They have virtually none of the staff that made them the great company they once were, and their management is notoriously the worst in the processor industry (for a major company that is)

Their fundamental problem is good engineers don't want to work at AMD anymore. They get paid and treated better elsewhere, with much better job security.

You know where the first place AMD fires people when they need to trim employees? R&D. First budget they cut? R&D. Their short sighted management practices are what is killing them, and the sad part is even if they changed today it probably wouldn't be enough to save them, because that shit pays off 5 years from now, not today,
>>
So, you guys are angry because I bought an AMD rx480?
>>
>>55388790
they've also got the xbone

not too sure about nintendos upcoming console, though it'd be stupid of nintendo to not use the same architecture as the ps4 and xbone
>>
>>55388800
Rumor has it Nvidia managed to get that one. How, I dunno.
>>
>>55388800
Even if they made good profit margins off of consoles, it wouldn't be enough to counter AMD's huge losses.
>>
>>55388800
consoles do not make a difference, they account for something like 100 million dollars a year total (not net), not enough to cause a turn around
>>
>>55388785
your austim is showing

OP is dead and gone
>>
>>55388831
autism*

making a typo was ironic though, i admit
>>
>>55388781
they will not make inroads

intel aside (who can just sell discounted old stock..) there are too many other established, attractive options with better reputation than AMD

reputation means a whole lot more than you think in enterprise
>>
>>55388809
Maybe Nintendo is worried about AMD going out of business and sees Nvidia as a more stable/reliable partner?
>>
File: 2008 Intel.png (137 KB, 1365x808) Image search: [Google]
2008 Intel.png
137 KB, 1365x808
>>55387915
If Intel became a monopoly they would either have to make incredible CPU's or give the consumer a reason to upgrade with some sort of software that makes the hardware work better in gaming or video editing to sell desktop CPUs. If they cannot achieve either of these then expect them to begin using the self destruct feature in the ME code to force the consumer to buy another without the consumer knowledge, this might sound far fetched but it is the CEO's responsibility to make money for the shareholders and if he chooses not to do this for moral reason they can terminate his contract and prosecute him.
>>
>>55388880
Intel doesn't have to do anything. AMD is an attractive buy for any larger company, especially if they fire all the upper and middle level managers
>>
>>55388853
We honestly do not know how the market will react, because we do not know how Zen will perform or how it behaves. There's a huge number of people awaiting the Zen launch, as that will literally be make or break for them.
>>
>>55388812
>>55388817
wait what are AMD even spending all their money on?
>>
>>55387915
AMD is a extremely appealing to purchase to both Samsung and Apple, as AMD's assets with benefit those companies the most with their existing in house CPU and GPU teams.

Best part is Apple's CPU team is comprised of a huge number of AMD's best ex-employees. It'd be ironic
>>
>>55388670

These losses a ridiculously slim. They pretty much say that AMD is stagnating or they could be from investments AMD does.

Anyways AMD is at $2 billion debt meanwhile nvidia hovers at around $1.2 billion debt. Even Intel has $12 billion long term debt.

Anyways. We'll probably see another 490 this year and vega next year. PS4k, Xbox Scorpio and the nintendo nx are just on the horizon. So that's fresh capital as well. Not even talking about Zen. So AMD won't be done for long.
>>
can't even tell who's trolling and who's legitimately stupid and ignorant regarding AMD's business prospects but their stock price has skyrocket since Feb, the RX 480 is selling like hotcakes despite faggot trolls on the internet telling you otherwise and their Zen architecture actually has a hope of competing with Intel, something that hasn't happened for AMD for more than a decade. I just wish I bought a few months back.
>>
>>55388944
The problem is AMD has been posting losses for the past DECADE. It's not just a recent thing.

There are systemic problems with AMD as a whole, that having a few brilliant engineers won't fix. All of their successful components are ACQUISITIONS, The Radeon division is ran separately from the rest of the company, the company is divided into red and blue teams, one for processors and one for GPUs. The Radeon division is ran exactly how it was when it was ATI, thats the only reason its successful,

>>55388962
temporary stock increases because of product launch does not indicate a healthy company. Infact, stock price doesn't indicate a companies long term prospects that well.

5$ a share is garbage anyway
>>
>>55388987
>DECADE
>ACQUISITIONS

hehe you're autistic
>>
>>55388987
shit bait, try harder.
>>
>>55388987
>>55389003

i finally realized

you people are retarded
thats why youre on this website
jesus, the denial here is so bad
you guys cant look past your own fanboyism to see interesting trends, and actually wonder how the industry might change
you people somehow interpret a statement of fact on how a companies finances are in poor shape and make it inevitable that it will be purchased as an insult, i dont understand the emotional attachment to AMD, its just a company who makes bits of sand

the company is going to be acquired by a larger company, its been too shitty for too long. if it doesnt get purchased, its going to go bankrupt in the next five years

if that concept if offensive to you then theres no point in talking to you, you're just a corporate shill

ill never understand how far you people can take your brand loyalty
>>
>>55389042
>you guys cant look past your own fanboyism to see interesting trends

I'm not the one handwaving a 150% increase in stock price you fucking dipshit lmao
>>
>>55388632
Apple?
>>
>>55388632
>>55388695
>Microsoft buys AMD
>makes all their products Windows 10 only

I can imagine the reaction on /g/ already.
>>
>>55388249
>Ethereum
is it that jewish scam currency that is trying to cheat because someone found bug in their "contract"?
>>
>>55387971
First line. Either he's going for deep debt or debt department. One of those sounds retarded.
>>
Funny most pc gaming people apparently hate consoles, yet on popular sites they suck off AMD like no tomorrow, without knowing that they are the main source of them.
>>
>>55388798
Yes, very angry. Good job. We're furious.
>>
>>55388249
>AMD is going to make crazy money on the Polaris series, so pumped.
Last time somebody used Polaris GPU instead of 3xx series in their mining rig, ATX connector melted.
Not very successful story first week after release.
>>
>>55390246
literally no one mines with gpus anymore
>>
>>55390274
Yeah, these 82 milions of Ethereum just spawned.
>>
>>55387915
AMD is an nvidia false flag.
>>
>AMD is losing money
>Intel and Nvidia dont want to get chased down by anti trust laws
>send a truck full of money to AMD just to let them keep doing whatever incompetent shit they do

rinse and repeat
Sadly Intel couldnt sell the x86 license to someone else, they even considered some no name chink company
>>
didnt AMD take a loan from some Saudi Arabian merchants just to stay alive?

Theyre gonna get ALLAHU ACKBAR'd pretty fucking hard once Zen turns out to be another overhyped piece of shit
>>
When will voodoo make a comeback? I'm really tired of this and vs nvidia shit and we need better competition for nvidia.
>>
>>55394014
Fucking autocorrect *AMD
>>
>>55387945
Via is embedded and powered doesn't sell discreet graphics cards.

Next we can talk about matrox....
>>
File: 1467495913299.gif (624 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1467495913299.gif
624 KB, 480x270
I dunno. 480 looks like a nice cheap replacement for my old 660ti. almost double the performance for cheap.

By the time 1440/4k monitors and cards get cheap enough should be fine to upgrade again.
>>
File: perfdollar_1920_1080.png (43 KB, 500x1170) Image search: [Google]
perfdollar_1920_1080.png
43 KB, 500x1170
>>55394418

At 1080p nothing touches the 480 for price vs performance.
>>
>>55387915
amd in debt dept...

you really dont know anything eh...
>>
>>55388219
Miners are and always will be electricity thieves. You think they give a fuck that they can't 'beat' ASICs? They probably have an unregulated power supply in somebody's basement or tap it from an umetered source and mine all day remotely.
>>
>>55394491
except APUs and integrated graphics
>>
>>55388061
>>55388118
both wrong. x86 is transferable, intel must participate in good faith negotiations with any company that would buy out AMD for an x86 license.
>>
>>55394557

I doubt that - despite the low cost of such hardware performance is still very low. An apu half the cost of the 480 is going to be more than 50% slower.
>>
>>55394491
gtx 950 touches it
>>
>>55394601
>low cost
>HD Graphics 530
>Fucking free/ 20 FPS

AMD btfo
>>
>>55394605

Not compared to a 200 burger 480.
>>
>>55394601
Well you brought up the point of price/performance like it means dogshit.
>>
>>55394557
>integrated graphics
>1080p performance

I guess you're technically right but morally...
>>
>>55394638
>morally
Integrated graphics have never destroyed motherbaords either
>>
>>55394635
But msi burns motherboards, the true option is sapphire nitro 399-569$
>>
>>55394648

They do cause chips (particularly intel ones) to run beyond TDP.
>>
>>55394670
>run beyond TDP
Please stop posting garbage just because AMD shit the bed.
>>
File: 1467484925662.jpg (72 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1467484925662.jpg
72 KB, 960x960
>>55394605
Yeah but 480's gonna get better with drivers etc. And non reference cards.

While 950 is last gen.

Best bet would be to buy a used card, but buying used is real risky.

Just gonna wait until Sept. And go Kaby Lake and get a 480 if nothing else trumps it.
>>
>>55388792
Do they have anything else they could cut from?
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 340x344) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 340x344
>>55394740
>wait for AMD to get better
>buy used
>>
File: 1467174011324.png (11 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1467174011324.png
11 KB, 500x500
>>55394768
What? It's waiting for next Intel not AMD.

Buying Used is really risky. No warranty. Often bum cards being dumped.

If by the time Kaby Lake launches, if nothing beats 480 in the Price Range, I'll be getting a 480.

While the 950 is at 98%, it's not going anywhere. While the 480 is new and will get better with Drivers.
>>
>>55394684

Go look it up - Intel's integrated graphics (which is a huge portion of the die) will throttle the cpu to try and keep within TDP. Eventually if you hammer the chip with something intensive for both cpu and gpu it will start pulling just over 100w for chips rated for 80w or so.
>>
>AMD goes bankrupt
>GPU market will stagnate like CPU market already did
>A 2016 desktop will still be relevant in 2026

How is this a bad thing, unless you were waiting for real time ray traced VR waifus?
>>
>>55394814
>something intensive for both the cpu and gpu

Good, spend $20 on a aftermarket cooler then
>>
>>55388083

They moved codenames onto stars in the northern hemisphere.
>>
>>55388249
>GPU mining
>with AMD

How exactly do they intend to make money pulling 1.2KW/hr ?
>>
>>55394820
>GPU market will stagnate
>15% performance gains every new generation
>Nvidia has 90% market share
kek
>>
>>55394820
Well, honestly video games are already stagnating graphically to the point where low end GPUs can max out games at 1080p 60fps. I wouldn't mind if the GPU market shifted for few years to optimizing for power efficiency and price over raw performance for a few years.
>>
>>55395174

sasuga neo /g/
>>
>>55388027
It actually doesn't, look at their balance sheet.

The only thing making them money are the Xbox and PS4 chips.
>>
>>55394557
APUs don't even do that, the 480 has vastly more performance per dollar than any integrated graphics unless you're getting it literally for free.
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.