[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ I need your guidance. I might enlist for a master in computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1989_7f5a.jpg (99 KB, 800x1074) Image search: [Google]
1989_7f5a.jpg
99 KB, 800x1074
/g/ I need your guidance.

I might enlist for a master in computer science with focus on videogames.

They want me to pick a coding language to exclusively learn and use - which one would be the best in your opinion and why?

C++ is usually the way to go, but I heard it's hard as shit to learn.
>>
>>55387170
smoke meth

>>>/adv/
>>
File: 1d95a6cafbca269bb314a9442c9de2c0.jpg (867 KB, 2560x1952) Image search: [Google]
1d95a6cafbca269bb314a9442c9de2c0.jpg
867 KB, 2560x1952
>>
File: 1445531997506.png (632 KB, 650x896) Image search: [Google]
1445531997506.png
632 KB, 650x896
>>55387191
You know exactly that neither /adv/ nor /v/ can give reliable advice.
>>
C++ is probably the best option as long as you want play with games developing. The problem is that C++ is unbelievably big and complex and has terrible support for multi-threading.

But! C++ is still being developed, and is slowly changing to a modern safe language. (Starting with C++11 and it's unique_ptrs, ending with C++19 and it's module system - not sure if they plan anything for multi-thread support)

If you're kind of hipster you can try Rust, which is a pretty young language, with similar philosophy as C, it has no GC and it does not use any virtual machine, they claim to have zero cost abstraction, so it could be fast some day.

Or you can fell for C meme.

I don't think there are another fast languages suited for serious game developing.
>>
How could you be "enlisting" for a masters in CS and not know what language you want to study?
>>
>>55387639
they are asking us beforehand and I wanted to know your opinion.

>>55387301
There are java games and so forth, but thanks a lot for your feedback.
>>
>>55387893
>There are java games and so forth
Every game ever coded in Java and released commercially has had to be retrofitted to not be a pile of shit for the entirety of its lifetime.
See: Minecraft. Every update since release 1.0 has been 90% unfucking the Java
>>
>>55387191
/adv/ is basically the "Relationship Advice General" thread.

This belongs here. There are several technology topics worthy of discussion here, regardless if you've had the conversation multiple times in the past.
>>
>Comp Sci Masters

>Focusing on a single programming language

Last time I checked you write your comp sci master's thesis based on Mathematics and will do most stuff in pseudo-code, proofing the n run time of algorithms and whatnot.

Why the hell does your school care what language you use? Mathematics should be the language your degree is in.

Smells like a troll. But if you are being forced to pick a language I prefer Python or Perl.
>>
>I majored CS cuz I want to make games :DDDDDDDD
I hope you know that you're a meme
>>
>>55388005
>prefer Python
KEK
bet you do desu

If you'd like I'm sure there's an iPhone app somewhere that will do your job for you

Teehee!
>>
>>55388005
CS Bachelors was mostly maths for me (Yuropoor here), but in the CS Masters you can basically pick everything but a few things on your own, because you're supposed to already know the maths and basics and shit.

I only took networking, machine learning and computer graphics classes then. Except for one algorithms class which was obligatory (you could pick one out of 3 like scientific computing, "advanced algorithms" or some really obscure theoretical shit, so I took the algorithms class)

Computer graphics was a shit though because the entire class is just simple geometry excercises and at the end of it you still have no clue how to make computers to graphics, so the entire thing was kind of pointless but whatever. Got my piece of paper now
>>
What about C#? I've seen a few games developed with it and it's pretty easy to get into
>>
>>55389116 see
>>55389075
>>
>>55387170
Lemme get this straight, you want to enter a post graduate CS program without knowing even the most basic shit about programming?
>>
>>55389075
Why do you think computer science is about programming an iphone? This thread is about picking a language for computer science, it's not about iphones.
>>
>>55389133
>falling for bait
>thinking an iPhone isn't a computer
>still wants to learn c#
Keksimen Lolfade
>>
>>55389116
Literally nothing wrong with C# if you are going Windows.

C++ is the most worthy of learning because you will never be held back by speed or .NET
>>
>>55387170
Search around LinkedIn for game dev jobs.

Find the language that pops up most often and learn that.

Protip: it's probably C++
>>
>>55388005
>python
>game dev

May as well kill himself right now tbqh
>>
>>55389148
Why do you think computer science is about computers? You shouldn't need to touch a computer to study computer science.
>>
check out handmade hero, op.
>>
have you have a bachelors and not know any programming languages

why are you getting a masters with a focus on 'video games' without having made a game first?

WHY ARE YOU BAITING ME LIKE THIS
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.