[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the state of the art with Raspberry Pi distributions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: screenshotRPi.png (2 MB, 1600x863) Image search: [Google]
screenshotRPi.png
2 MB, 1600x863
What's the state of the art with Raspberry Pi distributions now? Kinda got out of the loop for a bit and now that I moved to a new place I'm going to start tinkering again.

Is it still all shit except raspbian, or are there any other interesting ones?
>>
is this the new desktop thread
>>
I'd never looked before but I'm surprised RPis get on as well as they do with so little RAM. I expected they would be rocking ~512MB for what they do.
>>
>>55386817

well, don't be surprised, a Pi is several orders of magnitude more powerful than a 1990 computer, same with smartphones. Tech is amazing, isn't it?

Also don't let people tell you the pi is a piece of perfection either, there ARE a lot of caveats to them. I can say anecdotically that using any Video-intensive stuff eventually ends in frustration (though I haven't used the Pi 3 -- I think that should solve a lot of its video problems).

Stuff like normal web browsing is almost impossible on a 512 meg pi as a whole too, for example.

I think that it really excels when you put it to the test with an specific application, domain or intent. I use one in an arcade machine I built, and I did a LED lightshow. As long as you don't need the GPU stuff (no GUI, no HD video) you're good.
>>
>>55386773
just get raspian like everyone else
unless youre a man then install gentoo on it
>>
Would a beaglebone black be better for image shit?

I wanted to use a Raspberry Pi + camera module + mini screen to make a scope for airshitting and that means that the image I see on the screen must be what the camera sees with near zero latency. I also want to draw shit on the image like custom crosshairs from a preloaded file and shit.

Think the Pi can handle that or am I asking too much?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.