[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tech support
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
any tech support numbers please for my friend he has a virus that he can't delete
>>
install gentoo
>>
What?
>>
>>55386534
I have always found 3 to be a helpful number, but my wife's son likes 7 better. And lets face it, he's from the tech generation, I bet he knows better than I do.
>>
>>55386534
>Roblox

Get off kid, you're not old enough to be here.
>>
What was the purpose of this thread?
>>
>>55386575
>implying that's not an actual kid
>>
>>55386570
Tell your wife's son that 10 is better than 7 you cuck.
>>
>>55386579
to get a tech support number so i can help my friend with his virus on his computer dumbass.............................
>>
>>55386605
I don't know, 10 always felt so forced. 7 seems very comfy. 3 is just old, but hey, I guess that what I am lol
>>
File: 202341.png (711 KB, 739x607) Image search: [Google]
202341.png
711 KB, 739x607
>>55386606
1. We're not tech support
2. You need to be 18 or older
3. You don't bother to read the rules
4. You're the dumbass coming onto /g/ expecting we'd help some underage kid with tech issues

You're free to leave now.
>>
i hate this board so much
>>
>>55386606
But why?
>>
>>55386620
1: i am 18
2: where does it say u have to be 18? there was no warning or anything so ur dumb
kys

>>55386626
he needs his computer.........
>>
>>55386640
why?
>>
File: 432432.jpg (29 KB, 394x251) Image search: [Google]
432432.jpg
29 KB, 394x251
>>55386640
>ur dumb kys
>I am 18

You sure showed me
>>
File: 6Qs4X8L.jpg (122 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
6Qs4X8L.jpg
122 KB, 800x600
>>55386534

Pic related, it's you.
>>
>>55386643
to play games, to watch youtube and for other stuff? i need tech support number 2 get the virus of the computer
>>
>>55386640
He needs his computer what?
>>
>>55386575
I think that's the joke.
>>
this thread proves why /g/ is the most autistic board.
>>
> ITT; Trollbait
>>
>>55386534
If you're actually serious, tell him to go to malwarebytes.com and download the free version, install it, and do a scan. If he has an expired antivirus like Norton or McAfee on his computer, uninstall it because it's not protecting him at all -- and if he's on Windows 8.1 or 10 it's actually preventing the builtin Windows antivirus (Defender) from working. Then install a decent free antivirus like Avast, AVG, MS Security Essentials (if Win7) or enable Windows Defender (if Win8 or 10).

And NEVER call those support numbers that sometimes appear in popups or try to call you. They're scammers. They tell you that your computer has been sending them error reports (it hasn't), and show you things like errors and warnings in Event Viewer or stopped services in msconfig (they're normal on a healthy machine) as evidence that you have errors. They then charge you money and install software that's either free or costs less than they charge. Or sometimes they'll install some crap product like PC Optimizer Pro instead.
>>
File: denial.jpg (422 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
denial.jpg
422 KB, 800x533
>>55386534
>HALP I AM INFECTED

Oh well, OP, this is what you do.

Download Knoppix, Pardus (live), Trinity Rescue, PCBSD, or any other live CD/USB operating system distribution. It could even be a BartPE version of Windows. Doesn't matter.

Burn to cd or write to USB flash drive (this is preferable)

Boot the computer with it. Get the desktop.

Plug in your external hard drive of sufficient size. If you do not already own one, buy one or borrow one.

Transfer all your personal files and schitt to the external drive. Verify you have done so.

Scan the data on the external drive with Clamav. Just to make sure.

Format the computer's hard disk.

Boot from your OS disk. Partition your main disk into system and user sections. Give your system 50GB of space if you've got a 1TB drive. User space for the rest.

Install your OS into the system partition. Install your software. Run updates. Create your users. Have them use the user partition for storing files, not the system partition.

Restore your data to the computer.

Done.

This method, at the end, will separate the OS and software side (the part that generally gets infected) from the user side (the data). You can then format and reinstall on the system side as many times as you want without having to touch the user side.
>>
>>55386772
Ehh give it more than 50 GB for system since you'll be installing programs in that partition too. It makes sense to install programs in the system partition because good luck getting them to work after you reinstall the OS and preserve their partial installs in the user partition.

But anyway that's good advice if it's badly infected and can't be cleaned easily with a tool like Malwarebytes.
>>
>>55386534
1-800-PAJEET
>>
I have never experienced this much summer
>>
File: cabron.jpg (38 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
cabron.jpg
38 KB, 550x550
>>55386859
>>55386772
here.

That file I pasted here was last modified in 2011.

This was written at the same time:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

>>You can't clean a compromised system by patching it.

>>You can't clean a compromised system by removing the back doors.

>>You can't clean a compromised system by using some "vulnerability remover."

>>You can't clean a compromised system by using a virus scanner.

>>You can't clean a compromised system by reinstalling the operating system over the existing installation.

>>You can't trust any data copied from a compromised system.

>>You can't trust the event logs on a compromised system.

>>You may not be able to trust your latest backup.

>>>>>The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild.

Jesper M. Johansson, Ph.D. [YES, HE'S A DOCTOR], CISSP, MCSE, MCP+I

Security Program Manager
Microsoft Corporation
>>
Just factory reset your computer. Also get the fuck out of here kid ROBLOX is for fags
>>
>>55386534
Your friend's virus is probably prompting them to buy an antivirus from a specific company. Go to that company's website and call their number.
>>
Upgrade him to Windows 10 today. It's the most secure Windows yet, and the free upgrade ends soon!
>>
>>55386935
>>>You can't clean a compromised system by patching it.
>>>You can't clean a compromised system by removing the back doors.
>>>You can't clean a compromised system by using some "vulnerability remover."
>>>You can't clean a compromised system by using a virus scanner.
You *can* but it's not always successful or complete. The stuff consumers tend to get on their computers is common enough that cleaning tools can generally pick it up and at the very least give you a hint that you need to flatten and rebuild if it's one that can't be reliably cleaned. This guy's talking mostly about the possibility of new or custom malware built to attack one or a small number of sites, or things that a human attacker may have put in place manually. But consumer malware is usually quite cleanable because it's the same program that hundreds of thousands of other users have been infected with, and that researchers have analyzed.

Of course if cleaning isn't successful or it leaves some stuff broken in the OS, flatten and rebuild.

>>>You can't clean a compromised system by reinstalling the operating system over the existing installation.
This can actually work -- a fresh Windows install doesn't automatically execute things already on the disk. So long as you don't run any potentially infected exes from the previous install after the reinstall, you can usually get away with a reinstall without reformat. Especially if you rename C:\Users and delete C:\Windows and C:\Program Files before reinstalling.

Of course this ignores the possibility of infected MBR, PBR and filesystem, but these are fairly rare in consumer malware these days.

>>>You can't trust any data copied from a compromised system.
Don't copy *.exe, *.scr, *.vbs..., and don't open *.docx etc. with macros enabled. You could still get reinfected if you had some oddball malware that infects PDFs or whatever using a vuln that's not patched yet, but again, this is not common in the usual consumer malware.
>>
File: boris.png (198 KB, 680x608) Image search: [Google]
boris.png
198 KB, 680x608
>>55387066
>You *can* but it's not always successful or complete.

The "not successful or complete" is the problem. How can you tell if it's complete?

You can't.

A friend gave me his computer to disinfect. He did /not/ want it wiped. He gave me 200 bucks to do it, but that fucking thing sat on my kitchen table for a week chewing through various software (even stuff written by a friend of mine who's WAY smarter than me at this) and when I gave it back, I tried to refuse payment, because I couldn't be sure I got everything.

That was the last time I ever did that. I'm not ever going to try to "disinfect" a computer ever again. Nope. It's either flatten-and-rebuild or nothing. Got pirate software on there and no valid licenses? What do you do with the machine? If you can go to Linux because you want software but don't want to pay for it, I'll gladly do it for you. But you're not going to convince me to have a computer on my table for a week. No.
>>
>>55387331
>How can you tell if it's complete?
You can't be completely certain, but you can scan with multiple tools and see that it comes up clean with all of them. Also most of what one tool finds that another missed isn't viable malware but useless files or registry settings that a piece of malware created -- things that aren't going to hurt if a few are still around.

Time is the ultimate test. What were the original symptoms -- random popups, high CPU use, frequent HDD chatter? See if those come back, and check task manager for unknown processes now and then.

>that fucking thing sat on my kitchen table for a week chewing through various software
Better to do as much of the scanning as you can offline, booted into a USB stick. For one thing the malware can't sabotage it then. For another, it'll scan a lot faster since it isn't running in that slow, crapped up Windows install.

I usually look at it and determine about how much of a clusterfuck it is. If it's still running decently but has a few toolbars, search hijackers and annoying malware installed, it's not that hard to clean. But if it's chock full of viruses, slow as hell to do the simplest things, and barely limping along, it's probably still going to be brain damaged after cleaning so better backup and reinstall.
>>
File: 1462329261897.png (426 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
1462329261897.png
426 KB, 635x640
>>55386534
>>
>>55386640
but why does he need his computer?
>>
File: 18+.png (112 KB, 767x556) Image search: [Google]
18+.png
112 KB, 767x556
>>55386640
>2: where does it say u have to be 18? there was no warning or anything so ur dumb
This thing you clicked through when you first came here?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.