[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there no universal package manager that works on most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Why is there no universal package manager that works on most "mainstream" Linux distros that acts as a wrapper for the distro's native package manager and automatically searches and installs all the dependencies?

It would even work for Pip and Gem and NPM and all that shit.

Why I ask: I've spent countless hours trying to install all the dependencies for the Python module Dryscrape on CentOS 6 for work, it's fucking misery.

>inb4 stupid low-res frogposter
>>
Zero install?
>>
why not use a configuration management tool like saltstack, chef, or puppet?
>>
>>55384117
Well shit, that's really cool. I don't think that would work for a Python package though
>>
What are you even bitching about?

apt-get works fine
yum works fine.
>>
>>55384336
Installing Dryscrape on CentOS 6 is a nigger of a process, it's taken 10 hours so far and there's still dependencies that aren't taken care of.

It basically comes down to how fucking obnoxious CentOS is with not supporting any new packages, but I was just wondering if such a dependency-resolving system existed
>>
>>55384093
check out pkgsrc
>>
anyoe tried linuxbrew
>>
File: universal_install_script.png (40 KB, 302x340) Image search: [Google]
universal_install_script.png
40 KB, 302x340
>>55384093
>>
>>55384466

Did you try COPR or EPEL?
>>
>>55384466
haha linux has dependancies...cant even download one entire program can you? hahahahaha
>>
>>55384922
pity it doesn't show whether or not it worked.
>>
>>55385045
Installing Moose to RVM to install Ruby to install Gem to start building dependencies for Capybara to start building qt5 to get qmake to build webkit_server to install Dryscrape is pretty ridiculous, there should (in a perdext world) be no reason it's two commands on Ubuntu and hours on CentOS
>>
>>55385221
Perfect* holy shit
>>
File: 1441950414172.png (31 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1441950414172.png
31 KB, 500x283
>>55384093
>>
>>55384922
hovertext: The failures usually don't hurt anything, and if it installs several versions, it increases the chance that one of them is right. (Note: The 'yes' command and '2>/dev/null' are recommended additions.)

>>55386791
but you are free as in freedom to try them all :^)
>>
File: 1439379450164.jpg (190 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1439379450164.jpg
190 KB, 666x666
>>55384093
Snap packages
>>
nix, guix
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.