[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm starting graduate school next month, and I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: doihaveyourattention.jpg (702 KB, 2610x3915) Image search: [Google]
doihaveyourattention.jpg
702 KB, 2610x3915
So, I'm starting graduate school next month, and I need to decide if I should bring my desktop PC with me. I'm already bringing my laptop because my school requires everyone to have one, and they are also supplying everyone with an iPad... On the one hand, it would be comfy to have a 22" monitor desktop set-up in my room, but on the other hand my room is going to be really tiny (9' x 11'), and I also don't want to pay for the extra electricity that the desktop would use (poorfag). I'm not going to do any gaming.

The desktop is self-built:
>AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 GHz)
>8 GB RAM
>AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU
>1 TB HDD
>22" monitor

The laptop is a ThinkPad T430:
>Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60 GHz)
>8 GB RAM
>Intel HD Graphics 4000
>180 GB SSD
>14" display

I believe the iPad will be latest generation 64 GB model. (I'm not a big tablet guy...will probably just use this to fap with lol)

What do?

pic unrelated
>>
Sell it and get your money back.
>>
>>55382596
Sell the iPad? I think my school will frown upon that. They may force us to keep it by having iPad-specific bullshit as part of the curriculum. I don't know yet. I will definitely sell it if we're allowed lol.
>>
>>55382516

You have to pay for your own electricity in your dorm?
>>
>>55382680

It's not a dorm. I'm renting an apartment, so I am responsible for the utilities.
>>
I would just take the laptop and maybe get a docking station.
>>
>>55383178
This
>>
Only really worth it if you're going to have time to use it for anything you can't do on your laptop. If your course requires you to do something too intense for your laptop then the university should (not to say they necessarily will) provide you with a means to do it (access to a more powerful machine, cluster, whatever).
>>
>>55383178
I'd dock her station
>>
>>55383656
Good point. I guess I don't really need the power of the desktop. I mostly just wanted it for the monitor. Is that a retarded reason to bring the desktop? Is there a way I can use the 22" monitor in conjunction with the Thinkpad T430?

Also, please redpill me on docking stations. Why do I need one?
>>
>>55382516
If you are going to a semi decent graduate school you should have your own desk and computer at work, so at home you can build the fancy ass desktop you want.

If they provide nothing, then I guess you'll want a laptop to take everywhere. You should find that out before you make decisions.
>>
>>55383863
you don't, it's just a super convenient way to hook up an external monitor and keyboard and mouse
basically plug in 1 cable instead of 3-4
>>
>>55383913
>you should have your own desk and computer at work

That would be if I was going for a PhD...I'm going to med school for an MD. They treat us like babies. They supply us with an iPad and require us to bring our own laptop...The desktop would just be an extra computer.

>>55383979
I see. Sounds like a pretty sweet setup. Do you recommend any particular docking stations for the chinkpad?
>>
>>55382516
>I'm not a big tablet guy
4U
>>
>>55384034
oh yeah for a thinkpad you get an actual official docking station so it's not even a cable - i was referring more to the usb3 docking stations that work with any laptop
>>
Bring the battlestation, OP. In fact, build a second one and bring both of them. Line the walls of your tiny hovel with gaming PC's.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.