[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hasn't there been a mentionable push from any company
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
Why hasn't there been a mentionable push from any company or group for a standardized laptop form factor spec akin to the ATX/ITX family for desktop PCs? It's pretty much the only reason why we can't reasonably build our own laptops now.

Can you imagine how nice it'd be to be able to select motherboard, screen, case, battery, etc from a huge variety of off-the-shelf parts? Wouldn't it be amazing to build a laptop to your exact specs instead of having to live with whatever tradeoffs and concessions a prebuilt manufacturer has decided are acceptable?
>>
>>55380291
because then consumers could build their own for cheap.
the laptop market is like the phone market corners get cut everywhere except the most obvious places to ensure planned obsolesence and high prices.
there are ways to get a barebones notebook and parts already.
however you will need to deal with parts from brands you never heard off and from questionable sources.
dont expect to get one with an intel or amd cpu let alone an actual gpu.
>>
Desktop PC's are actually unusual in this regard. Very little in consumer electronics (or even in industrial electronics for that matter) is designed to be as interchangeable as PC parts are. The only reason laptops have swappable parts at all is due to developments from the PC side forcing compatibility on manufacturers. Because trust me, they would far rather be forcing you to buy your hard drives from them.
>>
>>55380330
I dunno, I could see AMD getting behind a laptop form factor spec if it meant getting a piece of the laptop market beyond their current position of $200 walmartbooks. It could give them an edge over Intel if it takes off, too, since in that case motherboard manufacturers would have AMD laptop motherboards on the shelves for a good year or two before Intel would be able to properly respond.
>>
>>55380291
Laptops are highly integrated and the component layout will shift around depending on the design and thermal requirements. A standardized approach would necessarily be less space efficient, since it has to account for many different possible configurations. That would make for significantly larger laptops overall, generally limiting it to a very niche market. Also parts like the screen would not be practical to upgrade.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.