[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to access the thousands of images on my computer from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: 1450558787268.jpg (15 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1450558787268.jpg
15 KB, 435x435
I want to access the thousands of images on my computer from my Android phone, anywhere I am.
Mainly reaction images, etc. to be sent through WhatsApp, but also maybe some movies or songs, so streaming would be a huge plus. Also viewing/browsing the images directly, without explicitly downloading them would be a huge plus.

As far as I can tell, I need to use some kind of a media server for this.
I've tried most apps that come up on the Play Store through searches like "media server" etc.
Most people suggest Plex.

But Plex is WAY too aggressive in trying to "organize" and label my media, which for me is absolutely meaningless.
I know what and where my media is. I just want to basically view and access the files on my computer like I would access the filesystem on my phone. Even when I'm not on the same network(!).

Any suggestions?

I'm kind of baffled that I haven't found a good solution for this.
Maybe it's because I don't know shit about media servers, but I'd assume there's a solution for normies.. something that "just werks".
I've considered just making a website that I'd access through my computer's IP, where I'd list certain folders' contents, but that seems like a suboptimal solution compared to an app designed for this.
>>
>>55378808
Set up ftp, forward your ports and et a domain name for your IP address.
May not be the fastest, but should generally work.

Maybe set up owncloud on your computer and use your media folder as its root directory.
Again, not the fastest, but would probably save your the hassle of uploading gigabytes of data from your computer to the same computer.
>>
File: ohio.jpg (33 KB, 592x598) Image search: [Google]
ohio.jpg
33 KB, 592x598
>>55378808
Wouldn't that massively increase used bandwidth, for Previews and stuff? I have my 4chan Folder synced to my phone (128gb sd is 30€ or something now) via syncthing and set it to only Sync on WiFi.
>>
>>55378808
Set up an openvpn server, and tunnel your connection back. Doesn't take that much to set up, and is educational too.
>>
>>55378808

Buy a Raspberry Pi and set it up so you can connect remotely. Uses 5W and it's cheap as fuck. You can plug a USB HDD with a powered hub.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.