[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Externally connected graphics cards The future is here.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: raz.png (534 KB, 878x584) Image search: [Google]
raz.png
534 KB, 878x584
>Externally connected graphics cards

The future is here.
>>
Epic
>>
>>55378536
>the future is eGPUs
The future's been here for years, anon.
>>
>>55378536
>oh vey good goyim only 500 american shekels!
>>
>Using a 1Ghz laptop processor with a dedicated graphics card
You can't be this stupid.
>>
Love the core, hate the blade.
>>
>>55378536
yeah now if only they could add external an CPU too so that tiny case doesn't heat up like a George Foreman grill.
>>
>>55378536
let me guess: it's expensive as hell and still much slower than real high end gc's
>>
>>55378570
it's got a USB hub and other shit besides just the eGPU part and I think a 300W PSU inside it so of course it's super expensive.

Even shitty thunderbolt docks are at least a few hundred bucks.
>>
>>55378570
~$400
>>
>>55378560
It's better than stuffing a 100W graphics chip in a laptop. Maybe some people like using laptops on their laps from time to time when they're not playing their call of duties.
>>
>>55378620
>It's better than stuffing a 100W graphics chip in a laptop.
This has to be bait.
>>
>12.5" display
>4K
how the fuck do they expect people to be able to see anything
>>
>>55378698
Windows magnifier tool
>>
Here's a great idea, now this might sound crazy to laptop faggots.

You have a desk top at home, even a mini build if you want! And for the price of a gaymen/power house shittop, and external GPU tower; you could build powerful desktop, and buy a useful hybrid 2 in 1 tablet, or a decent laptop for mobile use.
>>
>>55378698
You just down res to 1080p silly, and watch your battery last 5 seconds.
>>
>>55378536
>$500 for just a tin can and a power supply
No thanks
>>
>ultra thin laptops

Can someone explain this meme to me?
>>
This is complete bullshit. From my experience owning gaming laptops the bottleneck is *always* the CPU.
>>
>>55378959
I don't get it either. Depth is the least important physical factor in a laptop's portability yet it's the one being pushed for.
>>
>>55378536
Neat, but I could probably buy a decent ultrabook and an equally powerful gaming PC for a similar price. It's not like I'd be lugging that thing around everywhere.
>>
>>55378984
Liquid cooling docking stations will fix that in the next few years

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/this-is-how-the-world-s-first-liquid-cooled-gaming-laptop-was-made-1310793/1
>>
>>55378536
>12 inches
>4k

There are actually braindead gaymur nigger who will buy this
>>
As long as you have HQ processor, eGpu is definitely the way to go.

>whole laptop dedicated to cool the CPU
>whole external case dedicated to cool the GPU

it's just win. you get desktop performance whenever you're home. and you can carry the same device with you.

I'm almost sure that apple is delaying new macbooks due to native thunderbolt 3 support built in kaby lake processors just to sell new 5k thunderbolt displays with dedicated graphics card in them. I am almost sure of it. Apple wouldn't sell case but since the new macbooks will have thunderbolt 3, I'm sure they will market their thunderbolt displays with the option of putting discrete graphics in them.
>>
eGPU come and go every few years.
>>
For someone who's constantly on the go and is rarely at home and able to use their desktop, should I just buy a decent Thinkpad and get an eGPU and sell muh desktop?
>>
>>55378858
Thus is what I did. Dual xeon workstation with a 970 for gaming and remote work, craptop running debian for everything mobile.
>>
Thunderbolt 3 GPU-in-a-box is cool but you know what'd be cooler? Just rolling the GPU box into the monitor case. Pop open a hatch on the back of your monitor and there'd be a PCI-E slot with room for a full-length graphics card. It'd give more space for better cooling setups (water cooling loop on the back of the monitor maybe?), get rid of the awkward box, and reduce the number of cables on your desk (TB from laptop to display only).
>>
File: 300px-ThinkPad_770z_7_IMG_3368.jpg (8 KB, 300x176) Image search: [Google]
300px-ThinkPad_770z_7_IMG_3368.jpg
8 KB, 300x176
This is the IBM Selectadock. With it, you can add the gaming capability of 3dfx Voodoo graphics technology to your Pentium II powered ThinkPad 600 or 770 series. Impress your friends with how your $7,000 business laptop can now run Quake, Descent, Tomb Raider and all of the other greatest hits of 1998! Don't tell anyone you heard it from me, but rumor has it you can even play Super Mario 64 ;)
>>
>>55378565
What if, now hear me out, your laptop was like, just a screen and keyboard. So then all the stuff that gets hot like CPU, GPU and Ram could be in an outside box to keep it cooler. It could have, like, some fans in it and even have enough space so you can swap components if you want.

It would be the best laptop ever.
>>
>$500
>for a case with a $10 PSU and a USB-C cable

Can't wait for the $50 Chinese clones.
>>
>>55379797
not the guy you're responding to and I know you're being facetious but a laptop like that is something I've wanted at times.

The laptop itself would be something like a 12" Macbook: low power, fanless, extremely mobile. For more power, you could snap "layers" onto the bottom of this theoretical laptop, each adding a different type of expansion. One layer could add a more powerful CPU+GPU. Another layer could add storage, memory, and HD hotswap bays, and another yet could add more battery.

If you stack on all these layers, your ultrabook becomes a mobile workstation/gaymer laptop. If you only use one or two layers, you get an average thickness laptop. Whatever the case the laptop can dynamically adjust to your needs.
>>
>>55379906
>cool laptop anon
>oh thanks
>its even slimmer than my macbook!
>haha yeah (starts reaching into his bag of layers)
>what are those anon?
>(takes out three 'layers' from his garbage bag)
>i just feel like gaming now ha ha
>(anon begins snapping these layers onto his laptop which is now as fat as a projector)
>o-oh...cool okay
>haha yeah wanna play minecraft?
>>
>>55379906
See, layers would be stupid. As much I was joking, what I said would actually make more sense. Basically you would have a minitx case and then an all in one screen/keyboard combo so you could basically carry it around to lan parties or such without it being too much of a hassle. It'd only need one cable between the two as well and then a power cable from the case.

It wouldn't be a laptop, but atleast it would be a mobile gaming station sort of setup that is reasonable.
>>
>>55379615
screencapped this. if it happens, I will send you some money anon.
>>
>>55378536
omg it's 2001 again????

Gotta warn the newyorkers
>>
>>55379865
Honestly, this.

How fucking expensive can it be to make a PCI-E -> Thunderbolt little adapter thing, and i wouldn't be surprised if that's literally a $10 cost PSU.

>>55379797
RAM doesn't get hot for shit.
What you want is an external heatsink for M.2 SSDs, those SMs get hot as fuck
>>
>>55379960
kek
>>
>>55378553
but mostly in somewhat inconvenient setups
>>
I want one of these. In reality, I'll just go Chromebook + mATX build, since MS isn't producing UWP-only laptops anymore.
>>
>>55379960
>(anon takes out his macbook)
>cool laptop anon
>oh thanks
>its even slimmer than my thinkpad!
haha yeah (starts reaching into his bag of adapters)
>what are those anon?
>(takes out three different adapters)
>I just feel like pluggin in this USB stick and mouse in ha ha
>(anon beings pluggin in the adapters into his laptop, which is now looking like a medusa)
>o-oh...cool okay
>haha yeah wanna give me your facebook? or are you on reddit?
>>
This will be a thing in the future. Mark my words.
>>
>>55379797
Fucking this.
What's the bloody point of a laptop if you've got it hooked up to an eGPU? Instead of spending $500 on a fucking GPU enclosure just get a $500 laptop.
>>
>>55379797
So uhh....a desktop ?
>>
>>55383008
Assuming cheap stripped down usb-c pci adapters actually come around, yes.
I really don't know why they haven't. what else is there to replace expresscard slot versions?
>>
>>55379615
>Apple
>selling quality goods

pick one
>>
>>55378536
Expensive as fuck. Also you have to carry a shitbox with you when you want to play games. It does make exactly zero sense.

If you want a laptop then you have to deal with limited performance, in exchange for improved mobility. If you just want to play at LAN parties think of a mini ITX build instead. Even when you travel in hotels you always have a TV screen there.
>>
>>55378565
Now now, you're on to something here anon. What if there was a laptop with low power components, whose screen, keyboard and storage could be plugged in to a motherboard with desktop components for intensive tasks. Now that's something that I'd buy, because the laptop itself would be cheap to produce (it doesn't have powerful components), and the rest would be pretty much a desktop without peripherals, the laptop wouldn't cost that much more than desktop peripherals, so in the end you wouldn't end up paying that much of a premium.
>>
File: Deez Nutz.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Deez Nutz.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>55379797
got em
>>
>>55379797
I konw your joking but it would be neat to have an iPad then be able to plug it in and now its a bad ass fuking 4k gaming machine.
>>
>>55383134
Hardly any laptops support eGPU over Thunderbolt 3. The Razer ones and a few Dells.
>>
>>55384473
It's just a software thing, though. It'll happen eventually.
>>
>>55380933
kek
>>
>>55384527
Just pointing out that even if someone did make it, it would be a nightmare to support because it wouldn't work on any laptops with usb-c and Thunderbolt 3.
>>
>>55384567
It seems to work pretty well with expresscard. It's doable.
>>
>>55384600
I know, I'm using a 750ti in an EXP GDC Beast.

If you want to use a Thunderbolt 3 laptop you pretty much have to buy a Razor or an XPS which both have eGPU over Thunderbolt, so there wouldn't be a whole lot of customers for a usb-c generic implementation as there are not really enough customers or laptops to support it.

Probably next year.
>>
>>55384700
That was my point. There's no reason to think that it can't work out the same way, eventually. Getting a laptop now that supports it isn't a terrible investment, if you're going to use it for 6+ years.
It would have been harder to say that when the first usb-c thunderbolt laptops came out, however.
>>
>>55378536
>tfw Sony was years ahead of anyone else using 'lightpeak'
>implemented it too early and abandoned the project too early
>>
>>55384763
No, you were asking why someone hadn't already made cheap usb-c thunderbolt 3 pci-e adaptors for eGPU use. The reason is because only the XPS and Razer would support it, but customers that buy those already have access to eGPU solutions over Thunderbolt 3, so if someone made one now, it wouldn't sell, so nobody has.
>>
>>55384861
oh huh, forgot about that.
yeah, guess it'll be until it reaches business laptops.
so maybe next year.
>>
>>55378563
The penis shoots seeds, the gun shoots bullets.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.