[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for a new distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: distros_linux.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
distros_linux.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
I'm looking to install a new Linux distro, which one should I get?
>>
Manjaro
>>
Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu (any of its derivatives)
>>
>>55377830
Mint or Ubuntu if you are a productive member of society (with gf and shit)

Any other distro if you are a betacuck living in his moms basement
>>
>>55377830
Manjaro master race reporting in
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
File: 1464366078339.gif (579 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
1464366078339.gif
579 KB, 430x430
>>55377830
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Does anyone think maybe the fact there are so many distributions is why Linux is so undeveloped as a whole?
>>
>>55377830
ubuntu if you want something easy to use but a bit more powerful than mint.

Anything else if you have a lot of time on your hands to set up and all that jazz. Or mint if you're totally new to linux.
>>
Reasons for preferring mint/ubuntu over Debian?
>>
>>55378148
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: 1454627703503.jpg (43 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1454627703503.jpg
43 KB, 720x720
>>55378307
>Does anyone think that since so much developmnet has been done to tailor Linux to different use cases that it is undeveloped as a whole?
>Does anyone think that all this development is why Linux is not developed?

u wot m8?
>>
>>55377830
Arch Linux.
Don't fall for memes.
>>
>>55377830
I'm enjoying debian, I'm thinking of going to Slackware for reasons
>>
OpenSUSE is a very good distro for people who are just after a working OS and aren't too picky about being technical, i'd recommend it
>>
File: Linux Distro.png (450 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Linux Distro.png
450 KB, 1024x683
>>55377830
I can't suggest Fedora highly enough. Especially if you're a GNOME 3 fan, but even with it's spins, it's just sort of the best of every world. It's mostly set up out of the box, it doesn't ship with anything proprietary, it doesn't come with too much shit that you just end up uninstalling, and it's relatively up-to-date without being "bleeding edge". If you use proprietary software, you'll want to enable the RPM Fusion repositories, and maybe look into a tool called "Fedy", but after that you're pretty much good.
>>
>>55380424
that chart is utter bollocks, please get rid of that and never use it again.
>>
>>55380483
It makes a certain amount of sense, but I agree, it's not exactly sane in a few categories.
>>
>>55380573
but it's also from 2011. they have all made a lot of progress since then, and views on the distros is mainly subjective.
>>
>>55380587
Yeah, it was obviously before the Arch Wiki became what it was today, that "Docs" section on Arch should be outside of the fuckin' chart.
>>
>>55378307
LINUX is not under developed.
Is the user land under developed? Well,yeah,that could easily be debated.
But the kernel (Linux) isn't under developed. Compared to the kernel of closed development OSes you actually see Linux achieve functionality beforehand in some cases.
Thunderbolt hot plugging was in Linux mainline before Windows functionality was fully in place.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160702_035426.png (595 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160702_035426.png
595 KB, 1920x1080
gotta say, ive been using antergos for a couple weeks now and im loving it. everything just works out of the box. using kde as my DE and things just look so good and run so smooth
>>
>>55380709
Why Antergos over Arch? What do you see as an advantage to using it over Arch?
>>
>>55380767
no advantage that im aware of other than the install. i wanted to try out arch but didnt feel like going through the install process.
>>
>>55377830

Alpine and Void are two that I want to try.
>>
Best Looking distro?
Preferably looks like mac, as long as its stable. going to dual boot in laptop
tried elementary os, but it is so buggy
>>
why all the distros sound so retarded?
>>
>>55377830
Deepin
>>
Fedora, openSUSE
>>
>>55382472
Perhaps try a GNOME 3 distro? Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu GNOME. Use the dash to dock extension.
>>
antergos or manjero
>>
File: 5167332.png (91 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
5167332.png
91 KB, 460x460
>>55377863
Agree
>>
>>55382496
side your
>>
>>55377830
Why is the branding in Linux distros so globally horrible? It's like they don't want their distro to succeed. That Ubuntu made it this far is a miracle.
>>
i'm currently using Ubuntu.

Is there a better choice if you want performance in video games?
>>
>>55378307
Yes, but whenever I say that, I get shut down by some hipster special snowflake who wants Linux to remain the super secret haxer OS that gives them a sense if individuality.
>>
>>55380424
If you want to use proprietary software, you should go with Debian/Ubuntu. Having to rely on third party repos for most of your applications is a bad idea. Nothing guarantees RPMFusion and Nux Desktop will still support Fedora when it's at version 40 in a few months from now.

Also Fedora is the most bleeding edge of popular distributions. I got lectured in a forum for "still" being on 21.
>>
>>55377830
Yocto Project
>>
>>55377830
Stali
http://sta.li/
>>
File: lmaoing.png (189 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
lmaoing.png
189 KB, 450x472
>mfw Antergos masterrace
>mfw all these Manjaro turds itt
>>
>>55386286
Why is it a bad idea to use a third party repo? Especially one maintained as well as RPMfusion?
>>
>>55386678
Because you grow to depend on it. Then one day the guys running RPMFusion get bored, or decide to only support RHEL, or they just stop doing good quality assurance on the repostory, and your Fedora experience turns to shit.

Why would you favor depending on both the operating system's official repo and a third party repo over depending on the operating system's official repo that support all the software you need? It sounds to me like the latter is definitely a better idea.

Plus, the mere idea of having to use third party repos to make an OS meet a lot of user cases is just... messy. Like, the instructions to do anything that requires FFmpeg on Debian-based distros is "Enable non-free repos, install FFmpeg, do X". On RHEL-based distros it's "Install epel, download and install RPM fusion if it's supported, or Nux Desktop if it's supported, then install ffmpeg, do X. If neither RPMfusion or Nux Desktop support your OS, install the static build then resolve the dependencies yourself with ldd. Etc."
>>
>>55386678
Also, a good example of my supposition is RHEL/CentOS 7. Right now, they are not supported at ALL by RPMfusion, so if you liked to use RPMfusion for your RHEL/CentOS experience, well you're stuck between sticking to 6 (with SystemV, GNOME 2, none of the new DEs and no support from mainstream applications) or updating to 7 and being limited to Nux Desktop.
>>
>>55386219
No, you'll get pretty much the same performance anywhere else.
>>
>>55377830
Debian is easy to install and is a pretty solid running distro.
I keep trying out other distros but always seem to gravitate back to Debian personally.
>>
File: 1368116379869.jpg (133 KB, 640x622) Image search: [Google]
1368116379869.jpg
133 KB, 640x622
>>55377830
There is no reason to use anything other than a rolling release distro on a desktop, so either Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed or Gentoo.
>>
>>55378048
>too dumb to follow simple instructions and need to be spoonfed master race
>>
>>55378048

>Manjaro
>https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/
>>
>>55378307
There's no problem having so many different distros in and of itself; the problem is the lack of standardisation (all the different package formats, GTK+ vs. Qt, etc.)
>>
>>55377830
Debian GNU
Trisquel GNU if you are a beginner and if Trisquel doesn't work because of driver issues then use Ubuntu as it ships with proprietary drivers to get your shit up and running.
>>
>>55382472
Deepin.
>>
>>55386765
Not him, but the official repo doesn't have Pipelight, which I need, because my course uses Silverlight.
>>
>>55378148
In some quarters, it's politically correct to call the Linux operating system the “GNU/Linux operating system.” The problem with “Linux” is that there is no completely correct way to name it because it was written by many different people in a vast, distributed development effort. Technically speaking, Linux is the name of the operating system's kernel, nothing more. The kernel is very important of course, since it makes the operating system go, but it's not enough to form a complete operating system.

Enter Richard Stallman, the genius-philosopher who founded the Free Software movement, started the Free Software Foundation, formed the GNU Project, wrote the first version of the GNU C Compiler (gcc), created the GNU General Public License (the GPL), etc., etc., etc. He insists that you call it “GNU/Linux” to properly reflect the contributions of the GNU Project. While the GNU Project predates the Linux kernel, and the project's contributions are extremely deserving of recognition, placing them in the name is unfair to everyone else who made significant contributions. Besides, I think “Linux/GNU” would be more technically accurate since the kernel boots first and everything else runs on top of it. In popular usage, “Linux” refers to the kernel and all the other free and open source software found in the typical Linux distribution; that is, the entire Linux ecosystem, not just the GNU components. The operating system marketplace seems to prefer one-word names such as DOS, Windows, Solaris, Irix, AIX. I have chosen to use the popular format.
>>
>>55387874
Nice speech, but you're replying to copy pasta
>>
>>55386557
>"I'm too dumb to install Arch" masterrace
Sure buddy.
>>
Arch Linux or Debian
>>
>>55377863
its nice
>>
File: linux.png (10 KB, 100x136) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
10 KB, 100x136
>>55377830
Knoppix
>>
>>55388231
> Thinks that wasting a bunch of time manually installing Arch is worth it at all
>>
>>55377830
Arch is cutting edge, Debian is stable

take your pick
>>
Make your own with gentoo
>>
>>55387734
I'm not saying don't use unofficial repos if you need them. I'm saying, if you depend on unofficial repos a lot, and there's distros that officially support a lot of the software that your distro doesn't officially support, switching to that distro is a better idea for the long term.
>>
>>55377830
>linux
You should install FreeBSD.
>>
>>55386448
Buildroot > Yocto
>>
>>55379647
Ubuntu/Mint have more up-to-date packages, and at least in my experience are just as stable.
>>
>>55377863
Personally, i love manjaro but can't get past the bloat
>>
File: MSSK.png (585 KB, 580x255) Image search: [Google]
MSSK.png
585 KB, 580x255
>>55387451
>>
>>55377830
>linux
why do you fags like linux so much, it literally cant do anything windows can't.
>>
>>55395095
>it literally cant do anything windows can't.
lol listen to this retard
>>
>Debian
>Slackware
>Gentoo

FreeBSD is UNIX, not GNU/Linux
>>
Parabola
>>
>>55377830
>pic of linux distros
>FreeBSD
>OpenBSD

You stupid fucking ignorant idiot.
>>
Deepin OS it just werks™
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.