[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did everything go so right? Classic UI, rock solid, less
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: Windows2000_desktop.png (9 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Windows2000_desktop.png
9 KB, 640x480
When did everything go so right?

Classic UI, rock solid, less bloat than Windows 8 or 10.

I hate this Windows 10 shit. If I want to change settings I have to go into this half ass Settings "app". Half the shit you need to change isn't even in Settings, and you need to search for the fucking Control Panel. I want the classic Control Panel back, and I want all my settings there.

I came back to Win2K thinking it would be just an older more usable desktop environment, I didn't know that I would be finding a home.
>>
File: desktop.webm (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
desktop.webm
1 MB, 960x540
Sweet-OS has better UI.
>>
File: whistler_beta1_pro_0005.gif (48 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
whistler_beta1_pro_0005.gif
48 KB, 1024x768
>>55377442
Did you say something?
>>
>>55377442
Because men like to compensate. We live in times in where if you dont have a big penis, you have to have money or "personality" and shit.

So, we go for the unnecessary.
>>
>>55377442
Just perfection.
>>
>>55377442
>I didn't know that I would be finding a home.
Fuck. ;_;
>>
>>55378200
>those fucked up tray icons

it's better than most but I don't really like this "let's make something what it's not" ricing meme
>>
>>55378200
Could you share your setup like theme and icons?
>>
>>55377467
tumblr tier autism
>>
>>55381013
coming from a guy who thinks this is reddit and uses an identity
>>
>>55377442
are there any articles about win8/win10 ui design process?

something like this
http://www.sigchi.org/chi96/proceedings/desbrief/Sullivan/kds_txt.htm
>>
Win 8.1 and classic shell ftw
>>
>>55377442
I know right?

Even the classic UI in anything post XP looks like complete shit, like the font isn't greyish, its too bright, absolutely disgusting.
>>
File: control panel.png (343 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
control panel.png
343 KB, 2000x1000
>>55377442
>you need to search for the fucking Control Panel. I want the classic Control Panel back, and I want all my settings there.
What did he mean by this ?
>>
I really don't care about what OS design looks like as long as it works

most of my time is spent in programs
>>
>>55381432
>font

I meant the color of the task bar/menus, don't know why I said font.
>>
>>55377442
That fucking dark gradient bar goes against the entire aesthetic of everything else.
>>
>>55381454
Looks like a long way to get there, sport
>>
>>55381523
Yeah, pressing Super+X is a very long way to get to something.
Finding it in the same exact folder in the start menu that it's been in since Windows XP and then pinning it for quicker access is also a very long way to get to it.
And god forbid that you press Super and type all of 6 letters, then hit Enter to get to what you want.
>>
Windows 10 feels like 2 different operating systems for different interfaces glued together with no attempts to mesh the features into a single, cohesive whole
>>
>>55381454
if you right click, control panel comes up, OP is just a cunt, it took me 10 minutes and it'all back to how it was like in 98.

OP you are a faggot.
>>
>>55381523
easiest way to do control panel in 10 is just to search from start
>>
The classic theme makes me want to kill myself. It always has. It's stuffy, boring government office building in interface form. The only people who sing its praises are Dwight K. Shrute autist types.
>>
>>55381649
t. autistic arch ricer who thinks he's a special snowflake because he edited some config files
>>
>>55381649
>The classic theme makes me want to kill myself. It always has.
Seek help
>>
>>55381454
What a fucking mess.
>>
>>55377472
Damn, that looks snazzy as fuck. Did Windows 2000 have that theme preloaded?
>>
fuck man I miss the pre-Vista age of computers
>>
>>55381736
Are you aware of the concept of hyperbole?
>>
>>55381961
I want the metro meme to end. Seriously, it's just not good. Windows 10 has tons of duplicate system applications with their Windows 8 version and their classic version. It's confusing and it triggers my autism. I didn't go back to Windows 7 just because I figured I'd have to update eventually.
>>
>>55381999
it's the beta to XP you dum-dum
>>
>>55381578
nah, it was windows8
windows 10 feels like a first attempt to mix those two
still a long way to go ...
>>
>>55382086
WHAT

WHO IS THE AUTIST WHO DECIDED WINDOWS XP'S THEME HAD TO BE THE ATROCITY WE KNOW IT TO BE WHEN THIS ONE COULD HAVE BEEN IT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1459351393250.png (1 MB, 1300x4704) Image search: [Google]
1459351393250.png
1 MB, 1300x4704
>>
>>55382240
this will never not sound like a ranting from a "my dad works for nintendo" kid
>>
>>55381592
OR FUCKING RIGHT CLICK THE START BUTTON YOU DUMB MONGOLOIDS
>>
>>55382296
It should be in the start menu where it always was though. There is no reason to put it anywhere else.
>>
>>55382307
Sure, it'd be nice if it still was. But it isn't.. That doesn't change the fact that you guys are retarded if you think you have to open the start menu or use the search function in Win10 just to get to Control Panel, or Disk/Computer Management, etc. It's right there when you right click the start button. It's like going around your ass to get to your elbow.
>>
>>55382268
>somewhere out there some kid's dad actually does work at nintendo
>no one will ever believe him
>>
i work at a company making this horrible backup software that Microsoft is a major shareholder in, and every once in a while we send teams over to mircosoft and they send teams back, some of our guys have taken a look at the source code for windows.

It's worse then most people can imagine. If you think the linux network stack is spaghetti code, you're in for a rude awakening.
>>
>>55377442
>Windows users are so dumb that they need to be reminded of what OS they're using every time they open up the start menu
>>
>>55382811
the vast majority of windows don't even know what OS they're using

it's not like it actually matters to them - as long as they can use office and send emails they don't give a fuck

the vast majority of people do not give a fuck about what OS they're using, and theres honestly nothing wrong with that. the OS is a means to the end, not the end itself. if you think otherwise you should probably get a job
>>
>>55382811
Uh... it's branding?

Microsoft's branding is, well at least was appreciably subtle at the time. Compare this to KDE, where every preloaded software is a """""clever"""""" pun with the name of the DE.
>>
>>55377442
Win2000 was by far the best Windows ever, sadly it's unsupported and doesn't support multiple cores well
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.