[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else afraid of physical media dying out as a distribution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Wall_02.jpg (150 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Wall_02.jpg
150 KB, 1024x768
Is anyone else afraid of physical media dying out as a distribution method.

Nothing really beats having a big shelf full of vidya/DVDs.
>>
>>55375052
That's a big shelf
>>
>>55375052
Looks like an incredible waste of money to me.
That could have been a shelf full of knowledge, but instead it is full of shitty fictional cartoons to numb the mind.

You make me sick....
>>
>>55375099
t. autism
>>
>>55375052
>falling for the plastic jew
>>
>>55375157
t. braindead moran
>>
File: no fun allowed.jpg (91 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
no fun allowed.jpg
91 KB, 488x516
>>55375176
>>
>>55375052
>Nothing really beats having a big shelf full of vidya/DVDs.
except not having it???
>>
>>55375075
For (you)
>>
>>55375052
That's beautiful op. And I refuse to buy a pc or laptop without an optical drive.
>>
>>55375099
Grow up child.
>>
>>55375164
This. DDS is cheaper and therefore hopefully more money to the artist. Even better if you buy digital direct from the artist. Having a NAS that can store all of your Manga/Anime is just better overall.
>>
Don't fall for the Crapple scam of putting everything on the Cloud aka We Can Use Your Personal Data On A Whim.

Remember - Crapple have been telling you for years that physical media is "obsolete". They first waged war on the floppy disk, then the optical drive. The time will happen when they even come for your USB drives and leave you without a choice but the Cloud.
>>
File: this is a load of barnacles...jpg (78 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
this is a load of barnacles...jpg
78 KB, 1920x1080
>>55375552
>>
>>55375577
When they came for the floppy disks, I did not raise my voice because I did not like floppy disks and considered them obsolete. When they came for the CDs, I did not raise my voice because I did not like CDs and considered them obsolete. When they came for the Flash drives, there was no one left.
>>
File: 1463229825643.jpg (15 KB, 490x300) Image search: [Google]
1463229825643.jpg
15 KB, 490x300
>>55375552
>tfw you can fit that entire shelf on something the size of a credit card
>still doesn't think its an obsolete way to store media
>>
>>55375657
You will not even be allowed to have a credit card-sized device to store your data if Apple got their way. All data would have to be uploaded to their servers for "safe" keeping.
>>
>>55375052

between Netflix, Amazon Prime, KissAnime, and a borrowed HBO Go account, I always have access to new excellent content, and it costs less per month than I spent renting movies at Blockbuster in the 90s.

fuck buying shows, just watch them once and move on, unless it's something truly excellent like NHK where it deserves a second viewing
>>
>>55375638

floppies were phased out because of CDs
CDs were phased out because of flash media and high speed internet
one can only assume that flash cards will be phased out because of something an order of magnitude more convenient to the end user, and also all of that shit still exists even though it's obsolete
>>
>>55375711
DESU it kind of amazes me that CDs are still sold in the developed world.
>>
File: sarcastic dr house.jpg (26 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
sarcastic dr house.jpg
26 KB, 400x271
>>55375724
>>55358467
Oh look, it's this guy again.
>>
>>55375804
That dude you're replying to is an Apple marketer.
>>
>he doesn't know that data tapes are still the primary and best method of archival storage
>>
I still buy books and DVDs because the DRM doesn't exist for it or it can be broken. But using a service that imposes DRM where you can't download a movie or book you paid for is fucking awful. I hope physical media stays for that reason alone.
>>
What the shit do you guys want? For PCs to still have eye-burning CRTs? 5.25" floppies? Parallel ports and PS/2 mice that aren't hot pluggable and you had to turn the computer off to plug them in?

Fuck all of you. I'm not any Apple marketer but at least they're leading the world into 2016 instead of 1985.
>>
>>55375952
No.
We just want to be able to buy stuff and do with it whatever we want without having to jump through hoops with DRM.
>>
>>55375052
Why buy anime and video games when you can get them for free?

Not only do I save thousands, I also don't have the burden of having a giant fucking bookshelf full of plastic discs.
>>
>>55375907
Same can be said with electronic versions. DRM can be broken.

I currently have sat internet at my house, pretty much dialup, and I have a NAS. Yes I can not directly access it while I'm out but I can copy it to my phone, usb, tablet or ereader and then take it with me. The most I have to do is plan ahead when I leave to go somewhere. Also, Library+usb dvd drive=ripping. Or have programs setup to download on "off peak" hours and download all that I need. I currently download youtube playlist and podcast to pass the time while I'm working on the farm.
>>
>>55375052
I had the exact same thoughts until I moved out of my parents house into a small apartment for 1. now anything that doesn't have a direct decorative purpose (such as high quality figures or coffee table artbooks) it just feels like a fucking burden. I think a compromise is that "regular" physical releases will die out and that part of distribution will be more focused on ridiculously overpriced "collector's editions" where they charge a 50 dollar mark-up for a binch of shitty items like an art book and a poorly made figurine that are worth 10 bucks in total
>>
Disc rot my friend. Your collection will be useless and worthless in a few decades.
>>
>>55375052
ya know, you could digitize that whole mess and put it on a flash drive
>>
>>55377839

but then his life would feel meaningless.

OP, maybe use Netflix and get Lootcrate to briefly fill that void in your soul?
>>
File: ray pepe.jpg (27 KB, 489x499) Image search: [Google]
ray pepe.jpg
27 KB, 489x499
>tfw I burned some of my audio CDs because I started hating the artist
>tfw I mean burning in a literal sense, with fire

Feels good to see idiots die in a fire, have fun trying that with magnetic digital storage solutions. It just wouldn't be the same.
>>
" Physical Media" releases fucking SUCK nowadays.

Back in teh day when you bought a PC software release or game, you got a sizable cardboard box, several jewel cases, and manuals big enough to bludgeon your mother-in-law to death with.

Now you get a 2 cent dvd case, shit artwork and a piece of paper that tell you to tap in a code and fuck off elsewhere for the manual.

And people pay MORE for that.

Oh, and the modern "collectors edition" type releases = the 90's regular old big box release but +$50.
>>
>>55380174
wait a week to find the collector's edition on sale and to wait for patches.
>>
physical media will always have the advantage of being local but having digital media will have so many more in comparison, eventually I think it'll be a bit coin type system where a game is treated like a physical copy that you can trade, I think digital property is going to grow in meaning over the next decade
>>
>>55375075

U U
U U
>>
>>55378584
who?
>>
>>55375052
it will. doesn't matter though. everything is just dust in the wind.
>>
>>55380269
But you can also have local digital media. A NAS is a wonderful thing. If one really hates DRM that much then buy games from GOG and save them on a NAS. Buy from from DRM free sites, or really "stick it to the man" and make your own digital copies of your books and save those on your NAS. Buy a movie, save the reciept (scanned in) an rip your movie to your NAS.
>>
>>55375052

What about having a big shelf full of actual books like a non retarded person?
>>
>>55375099
You already are sick. Normalfaggotry is a psychiatric illness.
>>
>>55380487
it's a strange feeling

>>55375052
can't wait for something that doesn't decay after a few years, at least with a hard drive it's easy to copy onto another one
>>
>>55375552
i think business users that have security issues with cloud storage are the only thing that's going to keep physical storage alive.
>>
File: 1289466419932.jpg (62 KB, 543x431) Image search: [Google]
1289466419932.jpg
62 KB, 543x431
>>55375657
Oldschool? Yes. But it's best to have multiple means of data/media storage. Your drives could die, A NAS could fail, and clouds come and go. Your home burning to the ground is the only thing threatening your physical media.
>>
>ctrl-f
>"window"
Is it actually normal to stick bookshelves or other large pieces of furniture in front of a window? To me it looks like a cross between wasting a nice part of a room and having to barricade against meth addicts.
>>
Yes but sadly I realize that most media degrade after many years.
>>
>>55375839
>implying any position at Apple gives immediate credibility
>>
>>55375952
>leading the world

Or forcing their own vision onto the world.

Pick your argument.
>>
>>55377424
It won't be worthless to OP though. Or others with the same ideology for that matter.
>>
>>55386476
>get 2 drives and clone everything
Wow you just beat physical media at the cost of 2 credit cards
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.