[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/'s favourite music streaming service?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: music-streamers.png (320 KB, 1569x1095) Image search: [Google]
music-streamers.png
320 KB, 1569x1095
/g/'s favourite music streaming service?
>>
>>55371608
pulseaudio
>>
I use Soundcloud. It has a shitty bitrate (128 kbps), but it does the work, and I use it to discover music I like and nor very comercial/famous.
I donwload the music so I can listen it with a decent quality.
>>
File: 1452403462016.png (79 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
1452403462016.png
79 KB, 307x400
>>55371608
>Streaming music
>>
>>55371641
I KNOW RIGHT
JUST BUY AN IPOD WITH A 500GB SD CARD

t.fedora lord
>>
>>55371641
>having to download all songs before knowing if you like them or not
>>
>>55371666
> living in the third world
> giving a fuck about bandwidth
>>
File: 12463612.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
12463612.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>55371663
>IPOD
>>
>>55371663
>500GB
That's over 100,000 5 minute songs, properly encoded.
Do you really need 100,000 songs on your portable device?
>>
>>55371608
utorrent
>>
>>55371608
Groove music pass.
>>
>>55371608
>music streaming service
Get out
>>
>>55371677
>having to find a working link to download the song
>having to delete it if you don't like it or keep it somewhere else if you like it

Also, streaming would mean using more bandwidth because you load the song every time. And, stream usually stands for discover music, didn't you listen the radio back in time? That was a good way to discover new music, thought too much comercial.
Just stream for the first time and download for the rest of time you will listen the song.
>>
iTunes Radio is honestly pretty awesome, but I don't have any Apple devices at the moment, so right now it's a mix of Pandora and Spotify.

Pandora (or iTunes Radio) for when you're just trying to work and need a constant stream of hits in the background, Spotify for my own playlists and discovery.

I also have a pretty extensive local music library as well as physical media, so I just listen to full albums in my local media player a lot, I'd say about as much as I use the two streaming services combined.
>>
>>55371844
>get a private tracker or rutracker, slsk
> listen to it on youtube first and if you like it, download it
>>
>>55371608
Last fm and spotify, I only use them to find good music though.
>>
Spotify > *
>>
File: 1439635847791.jpg (141 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
1439635847791.jpg
141 KB, 501x585
Netease
>>
>>55371641
dumb animeposter
>>
None of 'em to be honest. I have 18,000 songs sitting on my Google Play Music account as a backup but I have about 1/4 of that on my smartphone for local playback and I tend to use that exclusively for most every instance of me listening to my own music. Haven't bought a CD in a decade, new music sucks ass, and on those incredibly rare occasions where something new comes along that I find interesting well, fuck it, I acquire it through other methods.

Can stream the stuff from Google without dinging my data plan thanks to T-Mobile so that's not an issue, I just don't give a fuck about streaming the tunes I already have locally stored.
>>
File: .jpg (6 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
6 KB, 480x360
I user a very obscure service. You've probably never heard of it.
>>
>Go to Youtube
>Search for random artist I want to listen to.
>Let autoplay mix decide what to play.
>>
>>55371608
Soundcloud
>It's free
>>
Spotify

>2016
>still torrenting and hoarding music
>>
>>
I use Youtube to find new music (the new recommendation thing is pretty nifty), and if I like something, I download it from my favourite private tracker.
>>
>>55371608
On mobile, Google Play, but just for my own stuff that I upload myself.

At home I use local.
>>
I tried them all (since you get 1 to 3 free trial months with them).

From the important ones I'd rate them like this:
Spotify > Deezer > Apple > Google

Spotify only won because they had more times what I was looking for, while Deezer was missing a lot of stuff from old times (2000-2010).

Apple's UI is unusable in comparison no browser streaming. And google was the shittiest experience.

Soundcloud is not comparable because it has a different artistbase.
>>
>>55371666
>downloading songs you've never heard before
>>
>>55373539
So do you only download songs you've heard prior offline or something
>>
>>55371608
What.cd
>>
I use Apple Music for mainstream stuff, and SoundCloud for everything else. I also put most of my music onto an SD Card in my phone but that's only stuff I think is worth torrenting.
>>
>>55373539
That's exactly what I was implying you master cock.
>>
Spotify's discover weekly playlist is quality
>>
Spotify is the best for UI and discovery.

I still pay for apple music instead though, because it works with "Hey Siri, play _____". May sound like a gimmick but incredibly convenient in practice.
>>
Spotify but I wish the Linux client wasn't garbage
>>
>>55371608
Deezer
>>
>>55372643
>login to account
>get recommendations based on another hundred thousand similar users
>>
Spotify

Then I download them and play through ncmpcpp
>>
>>55371663
They actually make 128GB microSD cards; for the storage they're not even that expensive

Stay mad.
>>
File: dsbvejav.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
dsbvejav.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
>>55372841
>not being worried about your access and freedoms
>not worried about TPP
>any year
>>
I use Spotify and Soundcloud
Best combo for all music
>>
Do most music streaming services offer 320 kbps MP3s?
>>
>>55372575
>Netease
My Chinese roommate showed me this. Never looked back.
>>
>>55371694
ONLY IF USE PLEB MP3

BUT ALL MY ANIME OSTS ARE ON FLAC
>>
vk.com
>>
>>55379849
kek
this
>>
>>55378379
>Deprecated bloated mp3 320
>for streaming
Nigger what
>>
None
>>
>>55371680
>implying there's anything wrong with using the best PMP

>>55378110
And what he said can also actually be done
>>
Google Play Music with my entire library uploaded to it and Spotify.

Serves my needs pretty well. Thinking about getting Apple music too to cover the gaps.
>>
Groove Music is broken on Android.
>>
>>55380665
Third world European country. Music streaming services like Spotify aren't even a thing here. So, most of them offer FLAC right?
>>
>>55381235
Nope. iirc Spotify is Opus, with higher bitrate for premium users. Others I'm not sure of, but I'm almost positive none stream FLAC
>>
>>55381235
I mean that mp3 is bloated dogshit that should die already, Opus 96-128kbps vbr is what you want for streaming.
>>
I stream music through Windows Media Player. I download stations via Shoutcast.
>>
Spotify. My parents love their music so I pay for the family plan.
>>
>music streaming
I threw up.
>>>/facebook/
>>
>>55371608
Youtube.com (^;
>>
Sirius
>>
>>55381250
>I'm almost positive none stream FLAC
I guess you've never heard of Tidal then ?
>>
>>55383526
Just because I've heard of something doesn't mean I know everything about it, dumbass.
>>
>>55383564
Literally the entire point and appeal of Tidal is that it streams lossless music. That's its whole reason for existing.
If you're heard of it, you should know this, dumbass.
>>
I use Spotify and Apple Music. If one is missing something the other probably has it.

I hate how heavy the desktop clients for both are. iTunes has always been a bloatbeast and Spotify is a chromium-wrapped abomination that has no qualms with sucking up 350MB+ RAM doing nothing but presenting lists and streaming 320k vorbis.

The Spotify plugin for Clementine works and is lighter than the official client but the plugin's UI kinda sucks. I wish more people would try building alternative Spotify clients.
>>
>>55383612
I don't keep up with streaming services as I don't care for their existence. The only thing I've ever heard about Tidal was that it exists, dumbass. It's not like people constantly shill it and why it should be used, you fucking mong.
>>
Google Play Music
>pretty much fucking everything if it isn't Tibetan throat singing released on vinyl in 1986
>if you can't find something, torrent it and upload it
>pretty good custom radio
>pretty good playlists
>podcast manager

>inb4 personal freedoms
You're just listening to fucking music. Make a throwaway account or something if you're that paranoid.
>>
Now that we are on topic of audio streams, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what's a good free software/app that would allow me to stream directly from my media library at home to my mobile devices? Preferablly something that handles transcoding for maximum data optimization in order to avoid using too much of my mobile data plan without compromising too much of the quality.
>>
>>55371608
That graphic needs an update.

iTunes Radio has been integrated into Apple Music; Tidal is absent, Rdio has been acquired by Pandora and is now defunct; Google Play Music has a new icon; Rhapsody, iHeartRadio and Slacker Radio are now minimal players in the music streaming scene.
>>
I have an iPod mini for listening to Love Live music.
>>
>>55384467
Did you upgrade it to solid state yet?
>>
>>55371608
amazon prime.

i already pay for it, so might as well use it
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.