[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long until OLED monitors and TVs are affordable? Will they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: oled-cell.gif (30 KB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
oled-cell.gif
30 KB, 400x372
How long until OLED monitors and TVs are affordable? Will they ever kill regular IPS LCD?
>>
>>55369556
my phone has one and it's p good. define affordable, poorfag
>>
>>55369568
Less than $100 more than a comparable LCD screen. Phones have them because they're cheaper at that size and the thinness + lower power consumption are worth it on mobile devices.
>>
Wait just a couple more years. It won't be sudden, but a gradual transition as it was for LCD coming from CRT.
>>
>>55369556
The shift from LG and Vizio, who recently switched mostly to OLEDs, will drive the market prices down. Depending on the success of the recent LG TVs, I supposed the prices will reach the current LCD prices in 3-5 years.
>>
Is dramatic colour shift over a few years still an issue for OLEDs? That's totally unacceptable on a TV you'll have for a long time (as opposed to a phone you'll junk in ~3 years).
>>
>>55369756
Believe so. QD will save us... some day.
>>
>>55369567
joke's on you
I have been already balding since I was 19
>>
>>55369556
I hope so. I'm going 1440p on my main screen with freesync and Vega this year or the next. By the time I want a new upgrade, they'll be hopefully affordable.
>>
>>55369568
less than $300 for a 24" 1080p@60 OLED monitor
FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>55369556
>Will they ever kill regular IPS LCD?

Most likely, however LCDs aren't stalling in progress either.

Personally, I'll choose a local-dimmed LCD display with near-zero black level over an OLED any day. I like my displays in the "doesn't deteriorate because it's made out of an organic polymer" variety.
>>
>>55369556
Hope soon because cant stand faggots constantly referring to monitors as 'IPS monitor's

go fuck yourself I'm not buying you anything else of course its fucking ips
>>
>>55369819
Delete your post and return to 4chan once you can form coherent sentences.
>>
>>55369756
Yes.

Sony and Sharp are experimenting with actual LED displays, because of the deficiencies in OLED. It's much easier to do Rec.2020 that way and they believe it will be cheaper to manufacture big displays with that: OLED doesn't scale up very well.
>>
>>55369556
Unless they eliminate burn-in, I'll probably never buy a big OLED screen myself. I like OLED on my phones for night viewing, but would prefer longevity for my monitor.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-s-review-a-taste-of-a-future-im-not-ready-for/
>>
>>55369556
autistic answer: "define affordable"
real answer: 2 years
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.