[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do programmers use good PCs for work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: relatedimage.jpg (153 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
relatedimage.jpg
153 KB, 640x360
I'm seeing a lot of programmers who have a pretty good pc with good GPUs and CPUs and they use it for work. why could it be? why would you have a expensive pc for work when you could have an ok one?
>>
If I ran a development firm I'd limit everybody to 1GB of RAM and an Intel Atom processor. Then my bearded 'code artisans' would be forced to write something actually efficient for once in their worthless lives.
>>
I dunno I use a 4 year old i3 with 12gb of ram.

Only reason I have the ram is to keep more chrome tabs open. Anything that needs speed gets done on a server somewhere.

you really don't need a lot of power to run a text editor, and if you're compiling software on your work machine, you're doing it wrong.

VM's I run on my workstation usually have 256-512 ram which even then is over kill.
>>
OP of course you would ask such a question having never worked in the field
>>
>>55368036
This.

Not bay trail either, a fucking d2550 and the igpu.
>>
>>55368085
Also idk what ops on about, I use an old hp AMD rm77 laptop running Linux for programming.
>>
>>55368011
>I'm seeing a lot of programmers who have a pretty good pc with good GPUs and CPUs and they use it for work

why dont you ask those people instead then you retarded chucklenut
>>
>>55368011
They all have Macbook Pros. What are you talking about?
>>
>>55368011
Too lazy to write CUDA not on machine with the actual cards.
>>
>why would you have a expensive pc for work when you could have an ok one?
lol everyone getting baited hard xD
>>
>>55368011
Fast CPU improves compile times, and can make using developing in a VM less painful.
Good GPU helps when running multiple high resolution displays. It's also obviously needed if you're making games.
>>
>>55368194
>Fast CPU improves compile times, and can make using developing in a VM less painful.

> compiling software on a desktop instead of a build server
> working at a company this incompetent
>>
>>55368224
What about home projects?
>>
>>55368224
>having to shuffle off your code to a build server every time you want to quickly test some minor change prior to committing.
m8
>>
>>55368011
For work i use some quad core Xenon workstation. ITs cpu is just about as powerful as my desktop, but it has a really shitty quadro from 2006 as its graphics card.
Makes writing opengl stuff really annoying, since i cant use gl3.3+
>>
>>55368036
No one would work for you.
>>
>>55368070
you are right, I had never worked
>>
Because the company pays for them
>>
>>55368279

> not knowing what distcc is.
>>
>>55368272

the topic is about work computers...... ?
>>
>>55368348
>distcc
which has nothing to do with the point of using a build server
Try again.
>>
>>55368011
fast compilation time, duh

>>55368036
>code artisans
you mean web devs?
>>
>>55368357
>not working from home
what are you, the cleaning lady?
>>
File: Topkek.gif (1 MB, 243x199) Image search: [Google]
Topkek.gif
1 MB, 243x199
>>55368363

> not knowing what a build server is

Do you even have a job?
>>
>>55368036

Congratulations, you just limited programmer productivity.

We can't use any half decent IDE's, so debugging is a chore and takes far, far longer.

And our Yocto build times went from 43 minutes to over four hours of wasted time.

Seems like a solid plan.

Why don't you try graduating first before you come up with grand designs on how the workplace should be run?
>>
>>55368379
I'm so annoyed with my current job. I'm doing some web dev and there's no build server, everything I do is live...
>>
>>55368375

? if it's for work use your companies infrastructure?
>>
>>55368384
>IDE's

Just use emacs or vim with some plugins.
>>
>>55368384

java programmers are easy to spot.
>>
Seriously, you don't need a monster PC to program. Atom runs just fine on my shitty laptop with a celeron and 1gb of ram.
>>
>>55368399
you can be a freelancer

you can work from home with a computer paid by your employer

you can work from your house to not have to worry over traffic, office annoyances and all sorts of problems

sure is 13 year old in here 2bh famalam
>>
>>55368379
It's like you don't even know what you're shitposting about anymore.
>>
File: 1437952280536.png (50 KB, 187x154) Image search: [Google]
1437952280536.png
50 KB, 187x154
>>55368442
>>
>>55368437
I try to work from home as much as possible but my boss insists that I come in to be at his beck and call. Then he never actually talks to me when I'm here and have to sit next to a guy who makes ritz crackers sound moist and another guy who schlicks his hands obsessively with 3 different scented lotions and eats tuna straight out of a can during lunch.
Then there's the indian guy in the far corner who randomly just belts out, full-volume, hindu hymns.
I was called into the office today for the boss to show me something - literally wanted to ask me if I changed a SQL query that I took care of a week ago. That's it. 1 hour commute for a 10 second conversation.
I live in the world's shittiest sitcom.
>>
>>55368070
>I don't know the answer so I'll make fun of OP for trying to understand/educate himself
>>
>>55368437

sure?

No one said there isn't a case to be made to buy a beefy machine just as a rule most people don't, and most who think they do are probably morons
>>
>>55368036

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
>>
>>55368475

Get a job that comes with a office is all I gotta say.

It's easy to find if you're not trying to work at some trendy open concept startup.

Personally I like work/home separation.
>>
>>55368537
>comes with an office
You mean like a private office w/ a door and shit? I think Microsoft's one of the only companies that understands the importance of that. Everybody else has been drinking the open concept kool-aid. (Plus it's cheaper to just toss everybody in a barn than it is to give them proper working spaces)

I honestly don't even enjoy programming that much. I've just been doing it for over a decade now and don't really have much interest in anything else. If I could continue living comfortably I'd probably fuck off to drawing smut for a living.
>>
>>55368512
the fuck, lol
>>
>>55368401
vim plugins do not do a good job of replacing an IDE
>>
>>55368011
You're penny wise, pound foolish, anon.

A high end desktop just costs a day or two worth of salary, and lasts for 2-3 years.

If it improves productivity by 0.5%, or boosts morale enough that people work on average another week before quitting, it will have paid for itself.
>>
>>55368586

Lot of smaller companies do, lots of others at least give you a cubicle that isolates you a bit from others.

Folks just fall for the openconcept meme not knowing it's really their employer cutting costs. Even worse, they advertise it as if it's a benefit.

Same with places that give you a fancy laptop - they expect you to work when you're at home and or make you sit at a different spot every day.
Or have stuff like beer in the fridge - a excuse to make you stay late 'hey theres beer aren't we cool? you can hang out, but like we expect you to work 12 hour days, but beer amirte?'

Fuck that.
>>
>>55368645
really ?
>>
>>55368645
>boosts morale enough that people work on average another week before quitting, it will have paid for itself.

This is the first legitimate argument made for giving employees fancy desktops
>>
>>55368707
There is literally no reason for a generic codemonkey to need his own personal office unless he wants to slack off on Facebook all day instead of doing actual work.
>>
>>55368728

Is that what your boss told you?

You can put two people who are compatible with each other to a office

If you're afraid employees will slack off if they aren't watched the entire time they probably should be fired when they don't deliver. If they do deliver who cares if they spend 90% of the time not working.
>>
>>55368645
>lasts 2-3 years

Try 5-6 years
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.