[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Every fucking card out there can draw more from the PCIe slo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: power_average[1].png (33 KB, 500x770) Image search: [Google]
power_average[1].png
33 KB, 500x770
Every fucking card out there can draw more from the PCIe slot than the specs implies.

The Nvidia GTX 950 2GB (No Power connector) draws an average of 74w at load. With spikes probably reaching much higher.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_950/21.html

If you overclock that card then you are most definitely drawing more power than the PCIe spec of 75w. Proof?

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/asus-gtx-950-2-gb-no-power-connector.221826/#post-3456668

>I see that in the bios they reduced all the voltages maybe nvidia found that 950 needs lower voltages to run stable.
Because a i have a gtx msi 950 oc one fun and i run a medium overclock at 1404 max clock at 1.1875 voltage = 108 watts. (max power limit for my board)
>(MAX POWER LIMIT FOR MY BOARD)

Watch this vid for an explanation. Yes he shills for AMD but he still talks sense about this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuYc2FHgjw

Basically it's a fucking non-issue that Nvidia trolls hooked onto. If it was an issue we would have heard about this LONG before on other cards that only draw their power from the PCIe slot and I bet there are plenty of people who OC'd those cards without issue.

Basically it's just a few tards with really shitty motherboards that were going to die anyhow having issues and Nvidiots looking for a way to troll the 480 at launch.
>>
>>55365369
Holy shit AMDrones are REALLY upset that their dumpster fire card is shit.
>>
>>55365369
Every overclocked card draws more, which is the important fact shills are conveniently ignoring.
This board isn't for intelligent people, its for shitposting children.

Like this faggot here:
>>55365381
>>
>>55365397
>Every overclocked card draws more
>more
>nearly double
kek
>>
>>55365369
>with spikes probably reaching much higher
>probably
Nice argument faggot.
>>
>>55365469
That dude is drawing 108w from the board. I don't need more proof than that. All cards spike above spec. Fact.
>>
>>55365489
>t. 480 early adopter
>>
>>55365369
see
>>55363617
>>
>>55365538
I don't own. I have a R9 290 and am waiting for the 490.

>>55365554
A couple of airheads sitting around talking shit. OK. They don't provide any actual information about power usage and specs other than what Reddit fed them.
>>
>>55365369
>all other cards average under the specified limit of 75w at stock (at which certifications are given)
>shitty housefire indian amd card consistently uses more than 75w on avarage (doesn't even dip below that under load)
>implying spikes haven't been happening for the last 12 years since the pcie specification was enforced (also what is electricity in general)
>implying consistent load over the specified limit is worse than ms spikes

stop going on about >b-but nvidia. no other product has done this before. you retard fanboys keep going on about how its an nvidia paid conspiracy and newsflash: it's not. amd fucked up and it's solely their fault.
>>
>>55365583
>talking shit

Reminder that every major Reviewer has found that this is an issue and AMDerps are trying to bury this hard.
>>
>>55365369
https://community.amd.com/thread/202410
Kek
>>
>>55365595
So where are all those dead motherboards where they overclocked their 750Ti's? Citations please.
>>
>>55365583
DUDE AMD LMAO
>>
>>55365369
>just a few tards with really shitty motherboards
>budget card
>thinking people are going to put $200 GPUs onto $300 mobos

Please kys pajeet
>>
>>55365624
>ASSCock motherboard
I see the problem
>>
>AMDead
not even once
>>
>>55365645
>$200 card
>lets put it in a $400 mobo
kys you don't get the issue, there will be plenty more of this happening soon considering the $40 mobos all these poorfags are using.
>>
>>55365645
It happening on any brand board is an issue when no other card does this.
>>
All I am saying is that people have been overclocking PCIe only GPU's for years over the specified power limit and I don't see huge swathes of reports about fried motherboards.
>>
>>55365627
nigga i can't tell if you're trolling or legit stupid. the stock clocks don't affect anything hence why the certification is given. any card whether it's amd or nvidia will cause motherboard fail-safes to activate due to the power draw. the fact that the 480 does it at STOCK is the issue here. most people who buy this card will be using shitty prebuilts or knockoff korean $50 motherboards and they'll run into the same problems as this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

mobos won't fry normally but they'll just shut off and who the fuck wants their computer to shut off when in game.
>>
>>5536568
>PCIe only GPUS
Hey fucktard, those PCI only GPUs have AIBs with 6 pin connectors which is what people are using when they 'overclock'
>>
>>55365681
That's because they didn't melt the pcie port from 888°c heat
>>
>>55365739
>just shutoff
The fact that the mobo doesn't shutoff when the pci-eis pulling more than the rated current shows that there's NO OVERCURRENT PROTECTION ON THE SLOT.
It will fry your motherboard or at least weaken the solder and contacts.
>>
>>55365776
the guy explains why the motherboard will shut off in the video, retard. watch it before you make stupid comments.
>>
>let's design a budget card that kills every budget mobo it's on!!!

Holy shit, how are AMD such retards?? If you can afford a good enough mobo to not get killed by this thing you can afford a much better card.

This is a card designed for NOBODY. What a DISASTER.
>>
>>55365834
>the motherboard
>Implying all motherboards have the same protections
Please stop, people with $40 boards won't have this sort of protection. The PCI-E slot doesn't have overcurrent protection.
>>
File: 9.bmp21-57-21-.jpg (67 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
9.bmp21-57-21-.jpg
67 KB, 600x338
>>55365870
They've never been the budget brand though.

>let's build budget GPUs and make them work horribly on budget CPUs
>>
>>55365887
whats your point? i'm pretty sure that most motherboards will have some sort of power regulator which will shut the motherboard off if the 24pin connector starts drawing more power than the motherboard can safely handle.

i'm not so knowledgeable on mobo's but none of these cards should fry a motherboard. it'll just activate a failsafe and turn off.
>>
>>55365970
>i'm not so knowledgeable on mobo's

clearly
>>
its the only argument nvidiots have at the moment, its not a valid one, cause those nfagya +150w spikes are more harming to the hardware than a constant +5w but they are trying their best to shill for gold
just leave them alone with their poor electrical knowledge and straw man arguments, eventually they will tire themselves out and move onto reddit for a """better""" audience
>doesn't understand what amps are
>better spam the shit of it so it sticks
>>
>>55366025
No I WANT AMD to do well. I want to have an actual competition again so Nvidia doesn't squeeze out every last drop from the market.

But AMD made a shit product once again. Denial won't make it any better.
>>
>>55366020
the guy in the video above is using a pre 2006 budget motherboard so it's quite clear that most budget ones even today will have these kind of failsafe mechanisms.

who's side are you on anyway? i'm not defending amd here. i'm just saying that frying a mobo is probably super rare.
>>
>480 supposed to cost 60 k in my country
>costs more than 100k, more than a 970

No thanks amfags, can you just stop, nvidia was always and will be better every time end of story
>>
So, who cares about reference AMD cards again? They're all terrible.
>>
>>55365970
>it will just activate a failsafe
The power draw at the 24pin is fine, the problem is that the PCI-E slot will be fried. The mobo will shutoff but not before the damage is done. People are already reporting PCI-E slots being fried and the surrounding Audio cards in neighbouring PCI-E slots also being fried.

THERE IS NO OVERVOLTAGE PROTECTION ON THE PCI-E SLOT and he said himself that the problem didn't occur when he tried it on another motherboard.
He also mentioned the mobo is old. He doesn't know the reason he's just deducing. Wrongly.
>>
>>55366025
>i-it's not an issue
>all these reviewers are lying
>i-it actually draws under 100w like amd said it w-would

off yourself already. amd are finished. 1060 here i come.
>>
>>55366091
can't wait for the 1060! Finally quality gaming at a price I can afford!
>>
File: Untitled.png (67 KB, 1039x783) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
67 KB, 1039x783
>>55366051
> But AMD made a shit product once again.

How. This is pretty reasonable performance for the price bracket its in. Unless the 1060 breaks the cycle and isn't garbage like the 960 Nvidia might have to drop 970 prices, which is a net win for everyone.
>>
>>55366025
>microsecond spikes are more harmful than constant power draw that the rated slot isn't designed for
>Literally thinking that pulling 6-9A over a 5.5A rated slot is a good idea and won't destroy your hadrware
HEAT DESTROYS HARDWARE NOT FUCKING MICROSECOND SPIKES
AMDrones really are retarded.
>>
>>55366126
You also have to factor in the cost of buying a premium motherboard that can actually withstand the card. And if you have a budget cheapo board you're going to have to replace it anyway when this power hog destroys it.
>>
>>55366180
>You also have to factor in the cost of buying a premium motherboard that can actually withstand the card.

No I don't, I've been building PCs long enough to know to never touch a reference AMD card.
>>
I hope AMD goes bankrupt with this shit. Its unacceptable and no amount of damage control and "but Nvidia!" will help
>>
This will be a non issue when reference stock is cleared out. Sloppy but way overblown. Just another example of why it's stupid to buy reference cards.
>>
File: lol.png (247 KB, 831x793) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
247 KB, 831x793
>in computing message group at college
>mention amd and the 480
>amd owner in the group literally flips the fuck out over hearing amd

this is what amd does to people.
>>
>cant buy AMD gpu with a cheap motherboard/psu or say goodbye to your PC
>cant buy cheap cpu with AMD gpu because of massive driver overhead effectively halving your performance

How is AMD the budget brand?
Theres practically no reason to buy them aside from being a shill retard on /g/
>>
>>55366025

wow man step away from the keyboard you might have a stroke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

>guy puts together budget rx 480 build
>it constantly shuts off
>takes out 400w power supply and puts in a 750w one
>keeps shutting off
>takes out rx 480 and puts it 980 ti
>it suddenly works
>>
>>55366260
Thats what being a tremendous neo-/v/ faggot does to people.
>>
>>55366091
>>55366128
>almost triple the rated amps flowing through a connector is fine as long as it is during microseconds, and on an nvidia hardware
>you know, because microseconds in nothing compared to the almost light speed of electrons
>somehow 1 amp more of continuous power flowing through the same connector is worse because it comes from another camp color
ayyy
>>
>>55366279
dude, this guy is flipping the fuck out.
>>
File: 2407724_orig[1].png (18 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
2407724_orig[1].png
18 KB, 200x198
>>55366321
>somehow 1 amp more of continuous power flowing through the same connector is worse

yes

now you get it, here's a gold star
>>
File: schoolboy.jpg (23 KB, 200x301) Image search: [Google]
schoolboy.jpg
23 KB, 200x301
>>55366565

d-dennis??
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.